Compacting Mommas? - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 461 Old 10-24-2006, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tomorrow, we'll be two weeks into compacting officially though it's been a while longer since we've bought anything new. We never were really big shoppers, but we also never hesitated to buy something new if we knew we needed it.

Compacting is really changing my perspective, and if it's changing my perspective this much and I've only been doing it for two weeks, I can't imagine where I'll be in a year!

It's making us be very proactive about our purchases--looking hard at finding what we need (winter clothes etc) used. Buying used is a lot harder than I thought it would be.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
#242 of 461 Old 10-24-2006, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellid View Post
I just got back from the thrift store. When I wrote that it was to the tune of "neener-neener-neeeeee-neeeeeer". I don't know if it's good or not, but I feel a new freedom to shop. I love thrift stores and I need clothes. 4 months post pardom. I've been withholding, because of $ and now that I'm doing the compact, I'm getting things I need and things are very durable, that I need. I got 3 sweaters and a hat for ds and a ceramic strainer. No I didn't need the strainer, we have a plastice one, but it was $5 and I don't want to buy another plastic on when it's kaput.

Anyway, I'm bragging and that's not very nice.
If you hadn't said you were bragging, I just would have read it as you sharing your groovy thrifty finds with us.

Want to post photos of your finds to the Flickr group?
#243 of 461 Old 10-24-2006, 08:00 PM

I need a Vitamix blender. Any ideas?
#244 of 461 Old 10-24-2006, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witch's mom View Post
I need a Vitamix blender. Any ideas?
Craigslist first, because it's local.
#245 of 461 Old 10-24-2006, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmyn View Post
If you hadn't said you were bragging, I just would have read it as you sharing your groovy thrifty finds with us.

Want to post photos of your finds to the Flickr group?

Why yes I do. I'm trying to figure out how to do that, as we.....type.

Ok, here they are.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/thriftycompactfinds/
#246 of 461 Old 10-25-2006, 12:20 AM

I had an okay day today, but near the end I started having the "I'm on my period, I'm going to lock the children in their rooms if they don't stop being loud and bothering me, or maybe I'll just freak out and cry". You know, one of those days where you realize that you are hormonaly imbalanced and you can see it but there is nothing you can do to stop it. I took out a dollar and started to head out he door for a chocolate bar, but dh kept asking me if the Hershey's was made locally, bla, bla, bla. So here I sit with my cup of Vanilla Hazelnut tea, and unwind the hormone rush. But what I wouldn't give for that chocolate!

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#247 of 461 Old 10-25-2006, 05:01 AM

I posted my thrift store finds on the Flickr group...check it out (and add your own!)

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
#248 of 461 Old 10-25-2006, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
oh, bendmom, chocolate is totally groceries! shame on dh for guilting you out of it. you deserve that, mama. i do eschew the hershey's, however, in favor of the more expensive habit of fair trade organic dark chocolate from the local coop. it's the gooooooooooood stuff. bananas aren't local either, you know, but i buy them, too.

speaking of eating locally, though have you heard of the hundred mile diet -- http://www.100milediet.org/ ? i'm not there yet, but more power to 'em. chocolate doesn't grow around these parts, though...

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#249 of 461 Old 10-25-2006, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post
speaking of eating locally, though have you heard of the hundred mile diet -- http://www.100milediet.org/ ? i'm not there yet, but more power to 'em. chocolate doesn't grow around these parts, though...
I love that site...it's inspiring. But....wow. 100 miles? That's seriously local. No mangos, no avocados? No pineapple? No apples in the winter? I know, I know. Eat seasonally and locally...it's harder than it sounds!

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
#250 of 461 Old 10-25-2006, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delight View Post
I posted my thrift store finds on the Flickr group...check it out (and add your own!)
Thank you so much for helping me with flickr! I got my pics up. I'm C&CBabyFactory (I saw your comments). I looooove the photomobile. And the hangy thingy by your door with the scarfs on it. Where did you find that. We need something simple like that. Of course, used.

Who is EFIW? I feel so far, we might all have the same taste in sweaters. I went to your blog too, sooo inspirational. Makes me want to know myself as well as you know you.
#251 of 461 Old 10-25-2006, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellid View Post
Thank you so much for helping me with flickr! I got my pics up. I'm C&CBabyFactory (I saw your comments). I looooove the photomobile. And the hangy thingy by your door with the scarfs on it. Where did you find that. We need something simple like that. Of course, used.

Who is EFIW? I feel so far, we might all have the same taste in sweaters. I went to your blog too, sooo inspirational. Makes me want to know myself as well as you know you.
The key hanger is from Target a loooong time ago. Like 6 years ago. EFIW is a friend of mine from Flickr...she's not on MDC.

#252 of 461 Old 10-25-2006, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post
I'm all for eating locally, but 100 miles is tough! I'd venture to say that most of our produce is grown within 100 miles, but certain things are just very difficult to find in this area: rice, legumes, bananas ... chocolate. I know that a few of our meals each week fall within the 100 miles, but not all of them.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
#253 of 461 Old 10-25-2006, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendmom View Post
I had an okay day today, but near the end I started having the "I'm on my period, I'm going to lock the children in their rooms if they don't stop being loud and bothering me, or maybe I'll just freak out and cry". You know, one of those days where you realize that you are hormonaly imbalanced and you can see it but there is nothing you can do to stop it. I took out a dollar and started to head out he door for a chocolate bar, but dh kept asking me if the Hershey's was made locally, bla, bla, bla. So here I sit with my cup of Vanilla Hazelnut tea, and unwind the hormone rush. But what I wouldn't give for that chocolate!
For you:

http://www.all-oregon.com/food/chocolate.htm
#254 of 461 Old 10-25-2006, 03:35 PM

I just sat down to finish updating my blog and then blogger shut down right as I was trying to save : I had just finished uploading pics too! So I'll say hello here instead

Any ideas on what I can give my DH for his birthday this weekend? Both kids are contagious with the chicken pox so I can't go anywhere and I can't just send someone out to "buy" something for him. I'd like to at least give him a small little gift since he has to work out of town on his birthday and his family cancelled his normal b-day party anyway to avoid my sick kids. I'm planning on making a cake and nice dinner, out of whatever I have on hand since I can't really even go to the grocery store. Am I getting too caught up into the "needing" to buy something for him? I'd make him something but I'm pretty much out of time and we've had 2 weeks of colds and now the CP. He's already hard to buy for and now with doing the Compact, I am pretty stumped on what to do without going anywhere or buying anything new. Assistance needed pretty puh-lease! :

ETA: Blogger seems to be working now. YAY!

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#255 of 461 Old 10-25-2006, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Why can't I log onto the yahoo group? (I have a yahoo account...)

Please help me figure this out, so that I can join you on yahoo.

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#256 of 461 Old 10-25-2006, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdreamer View Post
I just sat down to finish updating my blog and then blogger shut down right as I was trying to save : I had just finished uploading pics too! So I'll say hello here instead

Any ideas on what I can give my DH for his birthday this weekend? Both kids are contagious with the chicken pox so I can't go anywhere and I can't just send someone out to "buy" something for him. I'd like to at least give him a small little gift since he has to work out of town on his birthday and his family cancelled his normal b-day party anyway to avoid my sick kids. I'm planning on making a cake and nice dinner, out of whatever I have on hand since I can't really even go to the grocery store. Am I getting too caught up into the "needing" to buy something for him? I'd make him something but I'm pretty much out of time and we've had 2 weeks of colds and now the CP. He's already hard to buy for and now with doing the Compact, I am pretty stumped on what to do without going anywhere or buying anything new. Assistance needed pretty puh-lease! :

ETA: Blogger seems to be working now. YAY!
How about a professional massage?
#257 of 461 Old 10-25-2006, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post
I'm all for eating locally, but 100 miles is tough! I'd venture to say that most of our produce is grown within 100 miles, but certain things are just very difficult to find in this area: rice, legumes, bananas ... chocolate. I know that a few of our meals each week fall within the 100 miles, but not all of them.
I had really considered doing the 100 mile diet. We do eat mostly local produce (dd still goes through a bunch of bananas and I buy mangoes, etc occasionally) and our meat is almost all local organic also. But there would be no real source for rice, beans, etc and we couldn't afford to eat without them! So I changed my goal to eating mostly local but all organic. We only buy our meat from a local family meat shop (everything is organic, most local) and our produce (besides the bananas, etc) all come from our CSA share. If I had local options for organic beans, rice, etc I would definitely buy them. Since we are already on a very restricted dairy free, soy free, gluten free diet, I am trying not to be any harder on myself then I already am! In a perfect world I'd probably be a ovo-vegetarian, eating only local foods, including eggs from my own chickens and mostly my own produce. Not ready for that yet!

~Rebecca~

#258 of 461 Old 10-25-2006, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmyn View Post
How about a professional massage?
Hmmm, my friend is a massage therapist. He has always slightly freaked out about the idea of being touched by someone besides me I wonder if he would be okay with it since he knows her (she is a friend of mine and was our doula at ds's birth and accidently caught ds when the MW didn't show up in time). I suppose I could ask him if he'd like that, since he has been working alot and very stressed. I also just had the idea of framing a set of black & white photos of him with the kids. I do have a nice frame down in the basement that would work for 3 pics. I'd have to ask my mom to take the photos to be printed as I think I'm out of time to do it online and my photo printer is not working. I'll have to think on this a little more. Or maybe a subscription to Mother Earth News? He has been doing a ton of research into solar power, green building, etc for when we buy property in 3 years. Of course then I wouldn't have anything to give him in person.

Anymore suggestions?

~Rebecca~

#259 of 461 Old 10-25-2006, 08:33 PM

Well, I have a can of Ghirideli powdered choc. in the cupboard. I think his main point was not buying junk, but using the chocolate I already had.

I have really wanted a new rug in our bedroom. I had bought an 5x7 beige and cream cotton rug from IKEA years back, and it got pretty dirty so I put it outside behind the house till I figured out what to do with it. So now that I can't buy a rug, because I refuse to have someone else's dirty rug in my house too, I found a laundrymat that had industrial sized washers and washed it out. I put it back in the room and it looks great! It had become so dirty and dusty I just figured I would toss it and get a new one. I also went to the Humane Society's second hand store today and found a really beautiful purple and sage green satin euro sham for $2. I didn't buy it because it would mean I would have to buy the euro pillow new since I'm not going to use someone's used pillow. I was kinda sad about letting it go, but it was just a thing that would require the purchase of a new thing.

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#260 of 461 Old 10-25-2006, 11:45 PM

Quote:
I found a laundrymat that had industrial sized washers and washed it out. I put it back in the room and it looks great!
Way to go This has been the biggest difference for me. I used to be a "just get a new one" kind of gal. Now I try everything I can to clean and re-use what I have. It is amazing what washing, ironing, dusting, scrubbing, etc. can do for an item...and how you FEEL about that item. A novel concept. A lesson I am so glad to learn early in life!

#261 of 461 Old 10-26-2006, 10:25 AM

check the label on your Ikea rug. A lot of them are machine washable. I got DD this cute rug with frogs and lilypads on it from Ikea's as-is section a while back. It was all covered in animal hair, but I ran it through the wash and put it on our back fence to dry and it was good as new.

Which reminds me...does the as-is section of Ikea count as "new"? It's pretty much their returns or slightly damaged stuff they can't sell retail. I got a $200 bookshelf for $33 because the box had been open, crumpled, and one corner of the backing (the only part not hardwood) was slightly crumbled. It's not noticeable with it put together. And that rug only cost $15, and it's pretty good sized (5' by 5' maybe?)

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#262 of 461 Old 10-26-2006, 10:38 AM

It's official. I've put the Compact on my blog. Click on the link in my siggy to see!

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#263 of 461 Old 10-26-2006, 12:00 PM

Ugh, I need to do that too. Ravin, what is SAS?

Dp, me dreads.gif  ds#1  goodvibes.gif, ds #2 jog.gif and ds#3 drool.gif

#264 of 461 Old 10-26-2006, 12:36 PM

SAS is a fabric store that sells factory ends. They've also got lots of trim. It's a good place to get quality fabric you just don't find at places like Jo-Ann's, like wool and other natural fibers. It's also fairly inexpensive, and they don't try to tempt you with "clearance sales", they just sell what they've got that was leftover from clothes manufacturers or whatever.

#265 of 461 Old 10-26-2006, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravin View Post
check the label on your Ikea rug. A lot of them are machine washable.
It is machine washable, that wasn't really the issue. It is so big and really heavy, I had no way to wash it in my machine. I posted a pic in my blog, but could only get a third of it in!

#266 of 461 Old 10-26-2006, 01:30 PM

Quote:
It is machine washable, that wasn't really the issue. It is so big and really heavy, I had no way to wash it in my machine. I posted a pic in my blog, but could only get a third of it in!
Slightly OT- I have a similar IKEA rug as the one in your blog, in my living room that seems to be where my dd likes to spill stuff. When I bought it I purposely squished it up at the store to make sure it would fit in my washer Then when I got home before I took the tags off I checked again to make sure it would fit in it. Not that this actually helps you... :

Oh I just read on your blog the part under the pic. I guess you already figured it out. Glad you didn't have to go look for a new(ish) one!

~Rebecca~

#267 of 461 Old 10-26-2006, 02:48 PM

Okay, so I decided on what to give DH for his birthday gift. I ordered him a subscription to MotherEarthNews magazine I suppose if I look at it from the negative side, it could be considered buying something "new" and then there is the paper aspect. But I am choosing to look at it from the positive side: a magazine about the way we are trying to learn to live our life, important information we need about the green home we will be building/buying in a 3 years (solar powered, etc) and we can keep them on hand for the future when we are out of the planning stage. I told him last night that was what he is getting for a gift since it won't be there for him to "open" on his birthday. He was really excited about getting his first issue! 6 months ago he would have rolled his eyes at me about the idea of a simple off-the-grid, solar home and a subscription to the magazine. Now he is completely on board and has been doing a lot research on his own about solar systems and a few other topics. Its actually been a real bonding experience for us as a couple to have the same dream, so I figured the magazine was the perfect gift.

I also promised to give him a haircut like I do every few months (he has only been to a barber once in the last 6 1/2 years and that was the day of our wedding) and make him a nice dinner and a homemade cake. I think it should be a nice day!

~Rebecca~

#268 of 461 Old 10-26-2006, 02:54 PM

Just wanted to say that I'm not posting but I am finding you women so inspiring!
#269 of 461 Old 10-26-2006, 03:07 PM

I know that there are no "Compact Police", but I am really trying to stay true to my Compact pledge, so your input on this issue would be appreciated.

My boys and I need haircuts. I can't do it myself. (I do my daughter's hair myself, but it's only her fringe and the ends that ever needs trimmed, so it's not a hard job, and it's easy to camoflauge the mistakes.) I don't know anyone who can do it for me, other than going to a professional.

Would it violate my Compact pledge to get our hair cut at a salon? (Assuming I went to a local salon.) Do haircuts squeeze in under the Health & Hygeine exemption?

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#270 of 461 Old 10-26-2006, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathirynne View Post
I know that there are no "Compact Police", but I am really trying to stay true to my Compact pledge, so your input on this issue would be appreciated.

My boys and I need haircuts. I can't do it myself. (I do my daughter's hair myself, but it's only her fringe and the ends that ever needs trimmed, so it's not a hard job, and it's easy to camoflauge the mistakes.) I don't know anyone who can do it for me, other than going to a professional.

Would it violate my Compact pledge to get our hair cut at a salon? (Assuming I went to a local salon.) Do haircuts squeeze in under the Health & Hygeine exception?
My take:

The compact isn't about not spending money--it's about not buying new STUFF. I take this to mean tangible things, which means services like haircuts and massages are just fine.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page