Do sellers of floorplans just live in another world? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 10-09-2006, 02:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ahh..so I'm NOT going insane? I just finished reading an article about the author/her books and thought, "Dang, if that's 'not so big" what the heck would she consider ours??" --For the record, 950 sq ft, 3 bedrooms. We LOVE our house!! To be honest, the basement is completely/professionally done so it almost doubles the living space. But still......1900 sq ft is NOT a small house.
My SIL just built/moved into a 3000 sq ft house and it is just ridiculous.
#32 of 43 Old 10-09-2006, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
"Up to" is fine. 1900 sq ft would be really small for a house that had 5 bedrooms for instance
We are buying our neighbor's apartment, which is 1500 sq feet + 250 sq foot balcony. It was originally a 5 bedroom apartment, but they took out 1 room to make 1 room 1.5 times the size of a normal room (prob. average by US standards) and teh living room a bit bigger, so it is a 4br (master, 2 smallish bedrooms, 1 bigger bedroom). Our apartment is 1076 sq feet (plus 100 sq foot balcony) and it is 3 bedrooms. No dining room in either place, and her kitchen has room for a small eat at counter, but mine doesn't (it could if you took a wall down, we just didn't). I think homes and apartments here are designed more pratically. The bedrooms are smallish, but if you use verticle space bunk / loft beds how big do they need to be, they are just for sleeping in . I usually don't see seperate dining areas. There is usually a main room, kitchen, and bedrooms. It's amazing what people think they "need" though. We are moving to the 1500 sq ft. apartment as our "forever home." We hope to have 5 - 6 kids total, so for us it seems perfect. My neighbors are moving into a 2600 sq foot house. The people looking at our apartment have 6 kids, and for them 3 bedrooms and a pretty small living / dining room is enough. I also have a storeroom on the top floor of the apartment building (maybe 100 sq feet? but you can use verticle space). It's not practicle to keep every day things there, but it works for clothes I want to hand down some day, off season clothes, etc.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#33 of 43 Old 10-09-2006, 08:56 AM

My hubby and I have talked about building our own craftsman replica someday. You know, the kind they built circa 1915. I love looking at the old Sears catalog blueprints for home kits from that era-- you can find these online. They are small homes, most of them starter homes designed for what at the time was considered a small family-- not more than 3 or 4 kids. They look pretty good to me, we would probably start with one of those blueprints and just make some adjustments. I would add an extra toilet (but one bathroom works fine) and probably make the kitchen a little bigger since I also love to cook. But we could get rid of the dining room, don't need that. An extra room just for eating seems like such a waste to me!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#34 of 43 Old 10-09-2006, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, got the first book "Making your House a Home" or something, and it's fabulous. Not so much as a practical idea book, but the pictures are just lovely. And there's a 600sqft home pictured that has the concepts she's presenting and it does look much larger than you'd expect 600sqft to look.

I'm really proud of me too, some of the changes I've made in our house: creating an entrance area, defining the kitchen as its own space with tile, turning a wall corner into a nook, are all mentioned in the book.
#35 of 43 Old 10-09-2006, 05:35 PM

sapphire_chan, That book sounds wonderful! I'm going to give it a look.

Edited: I went to look for it on Amazon, but that title didn't come up. When you get a chance, could you post the title? No big hurry.
#36 of 43 Old 10-09-2006, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

"Home by Design" The author is Susanka. Looks like Amazon lets you search inside the books so you might browse a bit.
#37 of 43 Old 10-09-2006, 09:38 PM

Thanks!
#38 of 43 Old 10-13-2006, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

got more of Susanka's books from the library and they're all utterly fabulous. (I meant to post this back when I changed the title of the thread.)

I love that she puts so many things into words that I'd felt but not been able to express. Like why my current house is so "pleh".
#39 of 43 Old 10-13-2006, 04:23 PM

Great thread....

We bought an 800 sq foot house- two bedrooms- no basement, no garage.

It's essentially a cabin someone built, couldnt rent out, so they sold it.

I want to be content and not feel like we have to move- but sometimes its hard!

There are 5 of us in here, and we just want it to work better. We have no place to stowe bags, shoes, hats and jackets. Right now thats the bigest problem- the front door pile up. Nothing we bring in has anywhere to go!

I've checked out Not So Big house several times- looking for practical answers.

I'll check out Susankas book.
#40 of 43 Old 10-13-2006, 04:31 PM

I agree! We have the smallest house in our neighborhood at 1700 sq feet. We only use two of the three bedrooms. The spare room is used as storage. When the IL's come for another long visit from India we will buy a bedroom set for it. Our girls share a room. The main area of the house is a large greatroom and that's where everything takes place. I like the "forced" togetherness it brings.

Our master bathroom is such a waste of space. We have a garden tub and a separate shower, and a separate toilet room, double sinks between a long counter. If we had the funds, I would convert that area to a home office. I know most people would drool over our bathroom but for me, it's just one more thing to clean. I mean, how many bathrooms/sinks/tubs do four people need? The kids bathroom is adequate size for all of us.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#41 of 43 Old 10-13-2006, 04:48 PM

I guess that most of us on these boards don't really fall into the "average American" category in terms of our lifestyle choices. I think that many people DO need the bigger houses. When your TV takes up an entire wall of your living room, you need more space to fit the sofa in there too (if you see what I mean?).

We live in a reasonably small house. Total finished sf is 1800 but that includes a large finished basement which is really wasted space. Main living area is 1000 sf. Our house is plenty big enough for us, but I do wish the space was distributed a little better.
#42 of 43 Old 10-13-2006, 05:10 PM

Very interesting thread!

I am sure, as the architects have posted here, that big houses "sell" these days. Housing prices have gone through the roof, and a walk-in pantry has become a "necessity." Personally, I think there is a lot of "fashion" in floor plans just like there is in clothing. The housing market is beginning to stall, and part of that, I think, is because the fashions are changing and the houses that are out there aren't quite as "desirable" as they were. That's just my non-expert hunch.

We live in a house with 800 sq ft upstairs and an 800 sq ft basement that is finished. It was built in 1950 for a family with four kids and the basement was not finished until after they sold it. There are some aspects of it that drive us crazy - the kitchen is small and there is no light over where one assumes the dining room table would go (dining room/living room are one area with one overhead light). The closets in the bedrooms could be a little bigger. I like having a utility room, but the guest room doesn't get used except for storage and when my parents come to visit for a long weekend once or twice a year. We could probably easily do without half of our basement, which would remove the family room and guest room, based on the space we actually use. Having two bathrooms is nice because you don't have to run to the other floor and dh can have a different showerhead than the one I like. Cleaning 1600 sq ft isn't too bad, but I would hate having to clean 3000 sq feet. That's why people hire housekeepers...another added expense.

Very interesting thread!

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
#43 of 43 Old 10-13-2006, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Subing because DH and I want to try to build our own house and it will be in the small side. We lived in a huge house (2000+ sf) and it was totally silly...but fun for a while.

I love the idea of designing a place with our lifestyle in mind so we have just the right size and layout.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page