Help me NOT get a sofa. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 10-13-2006, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have unique coffee/end table alternatives?
#32 of 36 Old 10-14-2006, 02:01 AM

I loved our futon. It got us through college and it was so easy to move. It is my absolute favorite useful piece of furniture. Craigslist might even have one if you want to go that way.
#33 of 36 Old 10-15-2006, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Scavenge nearby woods for recently dead timber and make a peeled-log bench/sofa, with cushions and pillows.
that's similar to what were doing (except the base is going to be custom made - no scavenging here ), and for cushions we are using natural latex upholstered in organic cotton. natural latex and dust mites don't mix, and the cotton covers are washable so i can kill those little bastards with each wash. really excited about this actually. i love the woodsy furniture look and can't wait to have a beautiful, functional and totally natural peice of furniture.

i have a bad allergy to dust mites and we are getting rid of our current synthetic sofa and chairs and doing the above. it's going to be alot cleaner and healthier and we are having the base made so that it can be disassembled easily when we move. we have moved twice in two years and are going to be moving again at the end of the year, so it's important that our furniture be easy to shift around.
#34 of 36 Old 10-16-2006, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

We have a happy compromise!

IMO, 3 year old people and puppies typically share a few traits, one of them being an appreciation for open space. Put in a sofa, futon, loveseat, whathaveyou and the space will feel less open. I love how this three year old will run out into the room, dance around, ask for powwow music, spin to her heart's content, yadda yadda. I've decided that I can't spoil that for her.

So, we will keep the livingroom/sleeping room arrangement the same. No additions or changes -- just a recommittment to open spaces.

However, we are fortunate enough to have a small "office" room from where I am typing this message. It's already a pretty cramped space. We don't have a desk, but a table and shelf kind of pieced together to put computer stuff on. I've decided to put a (used) futon or loveseat next to the window in here. If we hook up a wireless keyboard/mouse we can type from our laps on the loveseat if we want. Tuck the keyboard/mouse away and cover up the monitor and we have a quiet space to curl up with books and journals. I think it's a good compromise, and good out-of-the-box thinking.

Thanks everyone for the input. To those of you contemplating ditching the sofa in favor of open space, if you have young ones I'd encourage you to just give it a try. Pay attention to what the kids do when you clear out the space and you might find it worthwhile. (In case you were wondering, for visitors who can't manage the floor (eg. grandparents), we have a couple of campchairs that we store in a closet.)

I've been reading about The Compact and I'm excited to try to make these changes w/o buying anything new. Thanks for the inspiration!
#35 of 36 Old 10-16-2006, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Let It Be View Post
Does anyone have unique coffee/end table alternatives?
I'm very fond of the tough, sturdy, wooden "This End Up" furniture; I like to use the arms to hold drinks and such. They're not very wide, though. "This End Up" also used to sell a small table-thingie (technical term of course) that would fit right down over and sit on top of the arm of the chair. 'Twas perfect, and when you didn't need the table you could just take it off and store it under the chair.

It's a thought. Someday I'd love to have This End Up all over my house!

Finding space and peace of mind, right where you are. Knowing that the less you own, the more control you have.
Realizing that less is not more, because you don't want more. You have too much already.  Less is best!                              www.lessisbest.net
#36 of 36 Old 10-16-2006, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurata View Post
Don't get one. They are nasty, germy, dust infested things that you can never get clean and will aggravate your allergies.
We have a navy blue leather sofa. It's 8 years old and looks brand new and I can wipe it clean of chocolate, lipstick, peanut butter, baby vomit...you name it.

I know the objections to leather. But, if you have allergies and want to have furniture, leather might have a place in your life.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page