Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 10-16-2006, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessMommy View Post
Thank you! Thats awesome!

Its very similar to an idea we've had for that room- but it's great to see it drawn onto the room!!!! (wish it'd been kind clean before I took the picture )
#32 of 43 Old 10-16-2006, 09:32 PM

OH my gosh I think you could do so much with your house. I am totally shocked that I forgot my absolute favorite space saver. A homemade murpheys bed. I saw a kit online with the hardware and needed a bit of hardware. I would love to have my bedroom have one of these ( you can go up to a queen) and then have it flip up in the day for a home office. I think a loft bed for the kids would be fine. Why change? I must have missed that. I love loft beds with play areas underneath.

your little office cubby is great. I aso think a good pantry makes a home seem bigger and a kitchen table that doubles as a family play area. I had a great table that I can put leafs in when I need it. I get all of my furniture off of craigslist etc.

Sectionals are great because children can make forts out of them but I admit they are hard to manuever in a small area. We found at times that our futon was so big it took over our small house. I wish ours had drawers under it. I also love those cubes at walmart that you sit on but that the top comes off and has a storage area. I love endtables that are also book cases and really good overhead lighting. A well placed mirror and lights as well as good wall art helps a lot.

For me what makes a house a home is just creative love and well you probably need a bit of money for wall coverings, and paint etc.

I think your house is awesome and has so many opportunities for you to pour yourself into .
#33 of 43 Old 10-17-2006, 01:17 AM

Very cute house!!

My kids sleep in the home office because I don't like the idea of them facing the street. The front room is now empty so we live in just two rooms of the three. The third room comes in handy when the IL's stay for a long visit. The home office/girls' room has no closet. I bought a cheap wardrobe from IKEA that has a place to hang clothes, some shelf space, and a couple of drawers. It was around $200 I think.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#34 of 43 Old 10-17-2006, 01:42 AM

I love your house! it is adorable!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#35 of 43 Old 10-17-2006, 02:10 AM

I am totally in love with your house!!
#36 of 43 Old 10-17-2006, 09:43 AM

I LOVE your wall colors and dark floors. And your house looks very loved. I love seeing the backpacks on the floor, for some reason I don't have any storage downstairs in my 2750 sf house! (the vacuum cleaner is always in the middle of the living room floor- not even a little closet to put that in) so I bought a cheap little coat hook/shelf thing at Target last year and even though you can see the coats all the time, it keeps them off the floor. I think it was about $30. The mudroom idea sounds perfect for you guys!

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#37 of 43 Old 10-17-2006, 09:45 AM

Love your house! What I love most is that first picture where it looks like you have nature on your doorstep. One thing that might help is having a 'living area' outside with benches, room for the kids to play etc to help expand your living space.

Wanted to mention:

In the 3rd picture, There's a baby seat on the floor.

I can't tell exactly from the picture, but does it have a thin wire base, then seat is made from cloth over the wire outline and it's kind of bouncy? My niece had a seat like that. One day when no one was looking she wiggled up, pushed her feet against the bottom of the seat (on the wire part), wiggled up and over the harness and fell face forward onto the floor with one of her legs stuck.

She was fine, but it freaked everyone out. She hasn't sat in the chair since. She was about 3 mths old at the time but kind of big and strong (and wiggley ) for her age. Just keep an eye on your baby when they're in the seat.
#38 of 43 Old 10-17-2006, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonCC View Post
How about switching bedrooms so the kids have the insulated and less scary one? For the coats, can you do a coat hanger thingie on the wall (whatever they are called)?
Exactly.

And you can put up two coat hook/peg thingies side by side if you need the space. You can put one or two in every room!

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#39 of 43 Old 10-17-2006, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Heather*** View Post
In the 3rd picture, There's a baby seat on the floor.

I can't tell exactly from the picture, but does it have a thin wire base, then seat is made from cloth over the wire outline and it's kind of bouncy? My niece had a seat like that. One day when no one was looking she wiggled up, pushed her feet against the bottom of the seat (on the wire part), wiggled up and over the harness and fell face forward onto the floor with one of her legs stuck.
I can totally see how that could happen...thank for the advice- I kinda hate that seat- we've had it for 5 years! I usually lay her on the sheepskin on thr floor.
#40 of 43 Old 10-17-2006, 02:34 PM

I love your house! I also found the wall colors so vivid and alive!

I know what you mean about not being content. i actually did not want to move to our new house and it took me along time to be content but now I adore it! we live in grape country in western ny...there are grape fields in our backyard and it is what I use to keep me sane when I am feeling crazed.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#41 of 43 Old 10-17-2006, 03:39 PM

Checked the link so it should work:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48348915@NOO/ I've sinced re-arranged the livingroom. The large piece (yet to be decluttered) is now in the playroom closet with my dd's toys on it. Looks fab! That removed one more piece from the livingroom. I had to move the couch from under the pictures because the baseboard heater is there (and it's approaching November in New Hampshire. Might have to turn on the heat here shortly!) I didn't take kitchen or bedroom pics but I will and then post them too.

My dd and I live in a 2br apartment. I wouldn call it tiny but it doesn't have any storage beyond a few closets. Our last apartment was smaller but had tons of storage so I had a lot of junk stashed. When I moved, if it didn't fit, it didn't stay. I've yearned for a house so we can have a garden and play in our own yard and stomp on the floor without having to be considerate! But I have come to appreciate our place as it has an awesome view because we live right along a river. The deck is nice and I love sitting out there and watching the river go by and the wildlife. It is surprisingly quiet considering there are about 4 apartment buildings along the river. And the neighborhood is good for walking as it's a large cul de sac. So for now we'll stay and hopefully some day I can save enough money to buy a cute little place that is just ours - regardless of the size!!

Lisa mom to Gillian (7) : and three : :
#42 of 43 Old 10-17-2006, 04:13 PM

I think your house is beautiful, inside and out. I love the colors, and the kitchen cabinets.

We live in a small space, too. We've got 770 sq ft, with a large screened porch giving us an extra 400 sq ft "outdoor living" space (dd's toys, some seating, a big table for entertaining, and garage-type storage--could be prettier!). Closets are few and small, so we've learned it is better to have less. Living in a small home, we often value space more than things.

My mother has been critical of our home over the years. She has finally stopped, thank goodness! It took me a while to really make things work, spacewise, and now I think she sees that it works for us. But I had to make it clear (to her and to me) that:

1. She doesn't pay my mortgage....we do
2. She doesn't live here....she has her own home
3. Her issues are her issues....and she should not try to give them to me! LOL! If we are happy, that should be good enough.

I knew that I'd finally come to terms with the space I have when I stopped having dreams about finding secret rooms behind hidden doors. I used to have those dreams a lot ("where did this room come from????"), but I don't have them anymore
#43 of 43 Old 10-18-2006, 10:57 AM

It's a cute structure, and your colors are just gorgeous. I'd love to be brave with color.

There are lots of good ideas here. I wish I had some to offer. I especially like the furniture as storage idea.

Amy at Stone Fence Farm
:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page