Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LOVE the food storage, momaste!!
#32 of 50 Old 11-03-2006, 02:18 PM

I've been using them very regularly for 10 months and none have broken or damaged. I love them! They don't nest, though, so empties aren't conveninently stored. I don't use them for leftovers because of that. Otherwise, I love them.
#33 of 50 Old 11-03-2006, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluepink02 View Post
I'm still trying to find something to put in the space beside the stove. It's about 8 inches across. Anyone know of anything I can use?
One of those pull out things they advertise for laundry rooms?
#34 of 50 Old 11-04-2006, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

I thought about that, but the dishwasher sticks out about 1 inch and makes it where I can't pull anything out. I'm considering having my bro make a simple open cabinet where I can store cookie and muffin sheets. Otherwise I worry about canned goods and such being compromised by being that close to a heat source. I've felt the side when the oven's going. It gets pretty warm.

Welcoming our twins :: born February 21, 2009 at 33 weeks! :
C-section due to pre-eclampsia and HELLP:
#35 of 50 Old 11-04-2006, 01:44 PM

I am so impressed with the way you transformed your kitchen. I am new to this site and think it is so great to be able to get natural decorating advice from your own home.

My face-to-face friends and I are so busy with our jobs and children we just
have time for tea if we are lucky.

You actually inspired me to clean up my DH's office while he is away this week. Usually I just walk in and start feeling dizzy. The monitor is on a file cabinet, the keyboard is on an old nighttable I inherited from my mother...wow it is a nightmare! The electronic kekboard is plugged in with a big fat orange cord....

Argggh! I think I should start a new thread over this project.

luv to all.
#36 of 50 Old 11-04-2006, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluepink02 View Post
I thought about that, but the dishwasher sticks out about 1 inch and makes it where I can't pull anything out. I'm considering having my bro make a simple open cabinet where I can store cookie and muffin sheets. Otherwise I worry about canned goods and such being compromised by being that close to a heat source. I've felt the side when the oven's going. It gets pretty warm.

I was thinking the same thing. If he could build something simple to accommodate baking sheets and cooling racks, that would use the space well.
#37 of 50 Old 11-04-2006, 03:36 PM
nym

excellant idea! I would have something made that perfectly fits that space! (although I would probably move the stove over and fit the unit in beside the sink because I dont like a sink and stove so close.) I would have 3 shelves, one smaller one of top for a basket to put dishcloths into, and then 2 shelves with verticle dividers. the middle shelf being shorter than the bottom for cake pans and stuff, and the bottom for cookie sheets and pizza pans..

I drew a really crappy picture so you get the idea

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL725/.../201857575.jpg
#38 of 50 Old 11-04-2006, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebeboston View Post

You actually inspired me to clean up my DH's office while he is away this week. Usually I just walk in and start feeling dizzy. The monitor is on a file cabinet, the keyboard is on an old nighttable I inherited from my mother...wow it is a nightmare!

Wow! I'm so excited that I inspired someone! I'm glad you enjoyed my kitchen. I'm trying to take my orgainizing one room at a time and not let myself get overwhelmed. I've set a goal date of December 16th because that's when my Gran is coming from England to visit. I hope to have everything how I want it by then. Pheobe, you're braver than I for tackling the office. I've been putting that off for absolute last. :

#39 of 50 Old 11-04-2006, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nym View Post
excellant idea! I would have something made that perfectly fits that space! (although I would probably move the stove over and fit the unit in beside the sink because I dont like a sink and stove so close.) I would have 3 shelves, one smaller one of top for a basket to put dishcloths into, and then 2 shelves with verticle dividers. the middle shelf being shorter than the bottom for cake pans and stuff, and the bottom for cookie sheets and pizza pans..

I drew a really crappy picture so you get the idea

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL725/.../201857575.jpg

That's exactly what I have in mind. I like the idea of putting it by the sink instead of the stove as well. I don't know why I had it in my mind that I had to move the stove that way. I'm going to take your idea of putting it betweent he stove and the sink.

#40 of 50 Old 11-04-2006, 10:54 PM

Oh, I know what I would recommend for your kitchen... lighting! Some local/romantic/pretty lighting here and there of different levels of brightness. It will make a big difference, and make the changes you've already made even more lovely.

ETA: This thread has got me thinking, my spices are not organized at all... I don't really want magnetic spice containers on my fridge, but maybe I could set up a magnetic sheet on the inside of my cabinet and put them in there?

How do you tell them apart when there are no labels, for those which look similar (esp the orange powders)? Oh and where do you get the magnetic spice containers?
#41 of 50 Old 11-05-2006, 02:13 AM

You inspired me enough to wash the office floor, rotate the cactus plants and get all the dust out.

I was thinking about an 8 inch space solution for you and came up with a few cheap metal towel bars attached to the side of your sink unit. Maybe you could dry your dishtowels there. Or even wet mittens and hats and socks
if you get snowy weather

Since you had great luck with the rug at Target, maybe you could find towels in those colors to give a shot of color there and they would dry great!

I have a on old fashioned radiator in my bathroom and stack bath towels there and hang my terry robe on the back of the door so they feel warm after a bath.

Of course it depends on how hot it gets, nice and warm is good. Scorching hot is very bad for obvious reasons.
#42 of 50 Old 11-05-2006, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

That's a good idea too Phoebe. I haven't decided what I'm going to do there yet. I have trouble making decisions : I go back and fourth for a week before I can decide.

#43 of 50 Old 11-05-2006, 11:54 AM

It looks great!

We have always had a small ktichen. We've been in 6 different places ALL wth tiny kitchens and NO storage!!

This is what we have started doing. it works great. We foudn the bar with attachments for spices, paper towel holder, and utensil storage!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...y/IMG_1710.jpg

This pic is really old! Now it has a few hooks added for aprons and well, looking at the picture I think I need to go declutter it....

We have a knife block above the stove and we love it! Ther eis a weak spot in the magnets in a small spot and if you put a too heavy knife there it kinda falls behind the stove. But as long as you put a short knife there it isn't an issue.

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#44 of 50 Old 11-05-2006, 07:07 PM

itsourfamily, that looks awesome!
#45 of 50 Old 11-05-2006, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momaste View Post
itsourfamily, that looks awesome!
Thanks! We got the idea from the hosuewe lived in in VA. The hotwater heaterint he kitchen was surrounded by lattice. It was awesome in a small kitchen!

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#46 of 50 Old 11-05-2006, 08:59 PM

I use my lock containers to store my housepaint. Cans dry out over time and are hard to open and re-close.
#47 of 50 Old 11-06-2006, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momaste View Post
I took a picture of our current food storage, since I'm so pleased with how much fits in such a small space.

http://render2.snapfish.com/render2/.../of=50,590,442

I have one other small, narrow cabinet for dishes, and my oils and vinegars are in the cabinet over the stove.
What are the (plastic) containers you have some of the dry goods in?

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#48 of 50 Old 11-06-2006, 10:02 PM

Lock & Lock containers. I love them.
#49 of 50 Old 11-07-2006, 12:49 AM

SBP, I love your adorable kitchen! I think you made some great changes, but mostly, I'm just in awe at how clean and tidy your tiny kitchen is...since my much larger kitchen is stuffed full to the brim and it's all pouring out. Well, at least there is still stuff all over the counters, bread boxes, canisters, large utensil containers, the mixer, the coffee pot, toaster, etc. At least my microwave is attrached to the cabinetry, though, for when I need to microwave my dish sponges...(we don't use it for anything else).
#50 of 50 Old 11-07-2006, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Riversky!! As for the neat and tidy part, you have to remember that I'm TTC #1. I'm sure when I have kidlets running around it won't be nearly so neat But I do find that keeping the kitchen neat, keeps it useable. I can't not clean up the counter, because I only have one and need to keep it useable. I'm trying to pare my utensils down to a few spoons and other utensils so that it won't clutter up the kitchen. I'm finding that I have to keep them clean or I won't have them available when I need them. Plus wood doesn't do well in the dishwasher, so I just wash and hang them up as soon as I'm finished with them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page