The Home Maintenance Challenge - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 10-30-2006, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cleaning light fixtures actually improves their energy savings, an added bonus to neatness!

So far this week, I've dusted the ceiling fan and lighting fixtures, cleaned the car, and DH installed new smoke detectors and a carbon monoxide detector.
#32 of 38 Old 11-05-2006, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Every Week:
• Before each decluttering project, without looking, sit down and write down what is SUPPOSED to be in that drawer/cabinet/shelf.
• Add items that you’re keeping and new things you’ve bought to your inventory
• Get rid of at least one box of STUFF (toss, recycle, or donate)
• Post before and after pictures!

Week 6: Kitchen – Nov. 5-11
4 Small Challenges
1. Organize your flatware drawer and wipe out the drawer divider (or get one if you don't have one.) Reunite all the forks for a family reunion.
2. Refill salt and pepper shakers.
3. Get rid of any pots, pans, dishes, utensils, or small appliances that are duplicates, in bad shape, broken, or that you just don’t use.
4. Wipe down the fronts of all of your appliances.

2 Big Challenges
1. Clean your stove and oven. Include the knobs, racks, and the filter hood over the stove.
2. Organize your pantry goods.
#33 of 38 Old 11-06-2006, 01:02 PM

oooh, i wanna play

this should help me alot

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#34 of 38 Old 11-07-2006, 05:03 PM

• Post before and after pictures!
I've finally got some pictures to post No before, but a few afters.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...2AZNm7lqzZsWIF

The first are of our tiny bathroom cabinets. The room is so small I do all make-up/hair in our bedroom and the towel and first aid storage is in the linen closet (also decluttered, kinda!)

The rest are of our kitchen cupboards where the food is stored. I had already worked on these Saturday (thanks to the inspiration on this board in other threads), but I'm still working on weeding through all our dishes/appliences. Anyone know of another place that has the gravity can things? The ones from the container store are too tall for any of my shelves?

I'm hoping to get back to the batteries and smoke detecter challenges from last week, I put them off cuz they're both in another cluttered cupboard in our mudroom that was just too intimidating.

Anyone else?
#35 of 38 Old 11-07-2006, 07:16 PM

I did the flatware drawer yesterday while dd was asleep on a carrier on my back, and DS was napping in the other room. It looks all nice and orderly for now.

Everything is "reunited" tho I found I am missing a salad fork. That is driving me crazy!!! Where could it be? A spoon I could see being lost, since sometimes I let the kids play with them and they "wander". But a fork?

Any suggestions to keep the divider thingy from sliding to the back of the drawer all the time? I don't want to use those squishy/rubbery drawer liners because they are PVC.
#36 of 38 Old 11-07-2006, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Looking great!
#37 of 38 Old 11-12-2006, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Week 7: Living Room – Nov. 12-18
4 Small Challenges
1. Corral your cords. Wind up the slack and secure them with a special gizmo, rubber bands, or NyTies. Label them so you can replace them correctly if they become unplugged in a cleaning frenzy. Unplug anything that's not in use.
2. Pare down your knicknack collection. Keep only the ones you truly love; dust them and replace neatly. Donate the ones you don't care about.
2. Collect loose change from couch.
3. Clean the telephone.

2 Big Challenges
1. Sweep cobwebs out of the corners. Dust thoroughly from top to bottom, including all electronics, light fixtures, ceiling fans, air vents, etc. Vacuum the upholstery and floor.
2. Declutter a hot spot, shelf, or cabinet.
#38 of 38 Old 11-21-2006, 12:37 PM

I hope you don't mind, I'm going to keep checking your blog for weekly challenges. This is really helping me feel like I have some control over more than just the daily stuff, and I'm amazed at the results. Please don't think I'm a stalker!

Thanks momaste!
Amanda

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page