I've started this as a declutter and cleaning challenge on another board I frequent, and posted it on my blog. I thought the mamas here might enjoy a bit of motivation to get more done at your house! Each week I can post the challenges, if people are interested, and there will be four smaller challenges and two bigger challenges in one area of your home. The inventory part is for anyone wanting to keep track of what they are keeping for insurance purposes or as a motivating tool to keep less. Let me know what you think!
• Before each decluttering project, without looking, sit down and write down what is SUPPOSED to be in that drawer/cabinet/shelf.
• Add items that you’re keeping and new things you’ve bought to your inventory
• Get rid of at least one box of STUFF (toss, recycle, or donate) - this could be your seven things if you do that
• Post before and after pictures!
Week 3: Closet – Oct. 15-21
4 Small Challenges
1. Go through your jewelry box. Get rid of what no longer appeals to you or no longer goes with your clothes and organize what is left.
2. Clean the doorknobs, switchplates and outlets throughout your home.
3. Round up errant shoes. Return to proper shoe resting place.
4. Clean out your purse. Only put back what you really need to carry around with you.
Just One Big Challenges
1. Go through your closet and try everything on. Toss or donate anything that isn't flattering, is stained, torn, too short, too baggy, or just unappealing. Re-hang all of your clothes (the ones you actually wear!) on matching hangers FACING BACKWARD. Take inventory of the gaps in your wardrobe. Admire your clean, organized, well fitting clothes. (As you use and wash your clothes, replace them facing forward. At the end of 6 months, you’ll be able to see what you haven’t touched because it won’t be facing forward; then you can reevaluate whether that item should remain in your closet.)