with all the talk of laundry recently - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-24-2006, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
it got me to thinking. how do you organize your laundry and what are some tips for organizing it. Mine is in my basement and i HATE going down there to do it because its either too hot or too cold and then forget that i have to run up or down three flights of stairs to get to it. *sometimes i think this house is too big*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2006, 11:03 AM

Well, I live in a 4 1/2 apartment with my washer and dryer in the bathroom. I'm glad it's not in the kitchen. One apartment DH had before I moved in, the W/D hookups were in the dining room! :
I have a hamper in the washroom, when it gets full, I do laundry. I'm kind of lazy and don't really sort my colour. I sort my person. My clothes in one load, DH's in another. He's in welding and his clothes are disgusting. :

I have cupboards above the W/D where I store dryer sheets, towels, bedsheets, bath products, TP, etc. Stuff can be a bit hard to reach, but what I do is put all the little stuff in a large flat basket that can be pulled out. Laundry soap is kept under the sink. (I don't have kids).

Usually whenever I do laundry, I don't really forget about it. Because the apartment is small, you can hear the W/D when they're on. DH however forgets about it, so on the rare occaision he does laundry, he sets the timer on the stove. It beeps till you turn it off. This is something you might want to try.

When I fold laundry, I do it on our bed. This works because the bedroom is right across the hall from the bathroom. I guess I am lucky in a way, living in a small space.

I think if I were you, I would look into the idea of moving the W/D upstairs, or at the very least, installing a laundry shute. It would save at least one trip.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If I lived in a house of your description, I'd want a laundry chute for sure. We're all on a level here. Our laundry room is off the kitchen, which makes it only a hassle when someone's trying to cook (it's one of those tunnel-shaped kitchens) I do sort laundry in the bedroom, picking up from DD's room as I go by (she has a hamper but most of her laundry ends up in our room anyway). I do most of the laundry, except DH will do darks when he needs clean pants (he owns 2 pair). I usually have to help him gather clothes because otherwise he'll run a load that's not full, and I had it ingrained in me by my mother that you never run a washer that's not full.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Old 10-24-2006, 12:32 PM
Banned

we have two floors--the laundry room is also where the heater, etc is. it's no problem for us.

my biggest problem is actually folding the laundry in a timely manner. LOL
Old 10-24-2006, 03:27 PM

I used three moving-sized boxes in the basement, which each held about a load of laundry. One was for darks, one for lights, one for stuff that needed special care (delicate cycle, whatever). I had one hammper upstairs that I brought down whenever it was full. Each time a box was full, that meant I had a full load and I threw it in.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:09 AM

We have three levels, with the laundry in the basement (lowest level). I try to do a load or two every day or two so that I don't end up with a big pile to haul downstairs. If the basket gets too full, I'll ask DH to take it down before he goes to work or when he gets home in the evening. Ditto for bringing up a really full basket.

When I wash sheets and other bedding, I throw them down the stairs, then walk down carefully with the rest of the laundry in a basket. I'll stop at the bottom of the stairs and pitch the heavy bedding down the next flight, and then head down again. This is also a method I use when I'm cleaning up upstairs--I'll just keep throwing down the laundry into a pile at the bottom of the stairs.

My big problem is forgetting laundry in the wash or dryer. I've started setting the timer on the stove for 45 minutes so I'll remember to go back down and do the next step. I try to fold when it comes out of the dryer (this really doesn't take as long as I used to think--maybe 5 or 6 minutes for a load), and then pile it in a basket according to whose room it goes in. I'll usually wait to finish laundry for the day before I bring the basket back up--this is why it sometimes gets heavy enough that I get DH to bring it up.

What are your issues with laundry?
Old 10-26-2006, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

well im not a large person in any since of the word "large" im only 70.5 lbs and well its hard to get up and down three flights of steps constantly. I do chunk my laundry down the stair case because it would be too hard for me to keep going up and down (I have serious back issues). My hubby works ungodly hours most of the time and its hard so im trying to figure out how i can get it to do it without help. I cant move it upstairs as there is no room up here. There is also no timer on my stove (its a 12 y.o Jenn Aire which needs replacing as well LOL) so with no timer i get sidetracked and forget that my laundry is in and forget to get it out or when i do get it out the dryer didnt get the laundry completely dry. so any ideas?
Old 10-26-2006, 11:56 AM

Quote:
There is also no timer on my stove (its a 12 y.o Jenn Aire which needs replacing as well LOL) so with no timer i get sidetracked and forget that my laundry is in and forget to get it out or when i do get it out the dryer didnt get the laundry completely dry. so any ideas?
You should be able to find a small timer at the dollarstore.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:48 PM

I know that when we ever build a home, the washer/dryer will be on the same floor as the bedrooms. I love washing/drying/folding laundry, but I HATE HATE HATE putting it away because it requires lugging the baskets of laundry from the basement, up to the second floor. DH and I have actually thrown around the idea of turning our large, finished basement laundry room into a dressing room of sorts. We could have a couple of screens for changing behind (for the kids when they get old enough to care about privacy) and install a couple of long poles for hanging the clothes, and cubby style organizers for holding the clothes that we would fold. It'd make life so much easier to have the clothes washed, dried, folded, hung, and put away all in the same room.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:15 PM

yep, I wish my washer and dryer were on the same floor as the bedrooms...though I had this in the other house and it only helped some. I never kept up with laundry then and still don't. though, it is getting better. what i should do, is move all the dressers into one central area and then it would be easier to put away. *ponders* maybe I could move them into the play area?

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 10-26-2006, 03:56 PM

I wouldn't move them into the play area. You'll probably end up with your kiddos dumping each end every last drawer the minute you turn your back. Or at least, that has been my experience. I can't keep my daughter's clothes in her room because she insists on making a huge pile of clothes in the center of her room each day. Drives me batty.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:05 AM

My laundry is on the main floor,but my living room becomes a mt. of clean laundry because I can get in and out of the wash, but getting it sorted and put away is very hard.
I have 3 hamper in each bed room. I have them lable light,darks, reds, towels. I also have the possible color that could go in each lable in that color. I was hoping that it could be a pre-read activity for my 4yr. It work when I help her. it is not something that she will just do. And unfortunatly is it not working for her dad at all.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:37 PM

When I lived in a 3 story house, I put all the dirty clothes from the bedrooms into pillow cases and tied them shut. Then I just threw them all down the stairs. It saved time and back aches!
Old 11-21-2006, 06:29 AM

I want 2 shelves in my hallway closet. Well, make that 3. Two to hold the hamper baskets and one to hold the detergents. That way it is up off the floor and I'm utilizing all available space in that area.

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
Old 11-21-2006, 12:07 PM

We really need a laundry chute.

The w/d are in the basement and the bedrooms are upstairs. Dirty laundry gets tossed over the railing and that works well

The problem is that the bathroom is tiny so no room for a hamper and the hallway outside the bathroom is narrow. There's really no floor space for a hamper so I have to keep a basket always moving. Taking it downstairs to empty, bring it back up.

There's an usused built-in cupboard in the bathroom. If we cut a hole in the floor, it could be a laundry chute.

Right not it's full of dh's shoes though
Old 11-21-2006, 12:40 PM

I have 3 hampers, whites, darks and towels/sheets. When a load or two is in the hamper I wash. The whites I wash when it's a small load because I don't like undies and socks to pile up but the colors/towels I wash only when it's a full super load.

It's not really organized at all, the hampers are all over my bedroom and there is one in front of the dryer. Which is in my hallway so it's not very pretty looking. My laundry "room" is really just a closet in the wall built in large enough to hold the washer and dryer and doors to close over them.

I need to figure something better out when I get to my new place in a few weeks. Hopefully that house will have a better laundry set up/laundry room. (we are a military family, I don't get to see my house until we get there)
Old 11-21-2006, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Heather*** View Post
Well, I live in a 4 1/2 apartment with my washer and dryer in the bathroom. I'm glad it's not in the kitchen. One apartment DH had before I moved in, the W/D hookups were in the dining room! :
I have a hamper in the washroom, when it gets full, I do laundry. I'm kind of lazy and don't really sort my colour. I sort my person. My clothes in one load, DH's in another. He's in welding and his clothes are disgusting. :

I have cupboards above the W/D where I store dryer sheets, towels, bedsheets, bath products, TP, etc. Stuff can be a bit hard to reach, but what I do is put all the little stuff in a large flat basket that can be pulled out. Laundry soap is kept under the sink. (I don't have kids).

Usually whenever I do laundry, I don't really forget about it. Because the apartment is small, you can hear the W/D when they're on. DH however forgets about it, so on the rare occaision he does laundry, he sets the timer on the stove. It beeps till you turn it off. This is something you might want to try.

When I fold laundry, I do it on our bed. This works because the bedroom is right across the hall from the bathroom. I guess I am lucky in a way, living in a small space.
It's similar here, only we have 3.5 rooms (I guess 4.5 if you count the bathroom, I'm counting the kitchen as "half a room" becuse it's L-shaped with the living room) and the washer and dryer are in the bathroom. We keep a hamper in the bathroom, one in my and DS' room, and 2 in the girls' room (their choice.) I had the w/d in the kitchen when DD1 was an infant, and that worked quite well too.

Until I sprained my ankle, I'd wash whatever was in my hamper or the bathroom hamper, DD2's hamper when I remembered. I'd wash DD1's clothes separate because she's picky about not getting her clothes mixed up with her sister's. Since I sprained my ankle, DD1 is supposed to be doing 2 loads a day (and DD2 is supposed to keep up with the dishes.) It's not quite happening.

I find it much easier to fold and put away one basket at a time, rather than letting it build up. Since spraining my ankle, I put away what I can reach from my bed (most of my clothes, DS' underwear and PJs), put the girls' stuff in a basket for one of them to take into their room, and DS puts away the towels, washcloths, and cloth napkins. His closet stuff (school clothes- button down shirts and dress pants) we do together- he brings me the hangers, I put the clothes on the hangers, he puts the hangers back in the closet. He's quite capable of taking clothes off hangers in the mornings but putting them ON the hanger is too challenging for him right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymomof2girls View Post
There is also no timer on my stove (its a 12 y.o Jenn Aire which needs replacing as well LOL) so with no timer i get sidetracked and forget that my laundry is in and forget to get it out or when i do get it out the dryer didnt get the laundry completely dry. so any ideas?
Flylady sells a timer that you can clip onto your clothes. It's more money than a dollar-store one, but since it's better quality, and less likely to break or get misplaced (thus causing more clutter) it may be a better bargain.

I haven't purchased her timer but I'm very happy with the feather duster and in general I'd rather support her website than support the shady business practices of local dollar stores (the ones by me have been accused of paying their workers less than minimum wage.)

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 11-21-2006, 01:21 PM

Something that may not work at first glance but that really helps for me is to never start a load of laundry before the previous one is completed.

By completed, I mean washed, dried, folded and put away.

User Tag List