Discouraged and buried - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 10-26-2006, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just tell me I can do this.....

I am trying to simplify and make my house liveble- but its always like 2 steps forward, 3 steps back.

I have gotten rid of TONS of stuff- bag after bag after box of clothes, books, toys, etc. And still - piles, piles, avalanches of piles.

I want my house to work and I guess I need more purging?

Just pat me on the back and remind me about the sanity I'll gain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 10-26-2006, 12:48 AM

I am kinda in the same place. I have two boxes full of stuff and two garbage bags, but somehow it seems like i haven't gotten rid of anything. And this doesn't count what I have thrown away. I really try to focus on what I have done already. It is nice that I have a few things done. Our closets look pretty good and so do our dressers. Of course, I do have a small box of stuff, from our junk drawer, to go through. But maybe if you pick one small area and just finish that. When you get discouraged make yourself a glass of tea, coffee, whatever and just go look at that place and pat yourself on the back. It might give you the motivation to get another space done. That is what I am doing. Or I take my knitting, my poor neglected knitting to the space and knit for 15 minutes in a nice clean decluttered spot and I think, if my whole house feels like this...and I can knit more cuz I am not moving clutter from one place to the next...
#3 of 12 Old 10-26-2006, 01:22 AM

don't worry you'll get there. and honestly from someone who's maybe half there---it is so worth it!

it is amazing to me the amount of stuff that comes into our homes.

#4 of 12 Old 10-26-2006, 08:45 AM

Make sure that when you fill up a box or a bag that you actually get it out of your home right away. There is an orphanage thrift store about a mile from my house and I go there at least once a week, sometimes with nothing more than a grocery store bag of items, but with SOMETHING.
#5 of 12 Old 10-26-2006, 10:50 AM

I've found that if I take a look at the decluttering topics here, then go turn on the TV and start watching an episode of "Neat" or "Mission; Organization" it gets me pumped and ready to go. Then I pick just 1 or 2 areas and clean them. Start with what bothers you most/where you'll see the biggest difference. Seeing results keeps me motivated.

And YES! if you have piles and piles of things, keep tossing!

If in doubt, throw it out!

Umm... of course check with family members though:.
Good luck!
#6 of 12 Old 10-26-2006, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Heather*** View Post
If in doubt, throw it out!

Umm... of course check with family members though:.
Good luck!
lol Chances are, my sis wouldn't notice if I threw out her junk anyway!

She keeps my kitchen counters/table all piled up and I get so irritated by it! I usually just dump it all in the floor in her room while she's not home
#7 of 12 Old 10-26-2006, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmaze View Post
Just tell me I can do this.....

I am trying to simplify and make my house liveble- but its always like 2 steps forward, 3 steps back.

I have gotten rid of TONS of stuff- bag after bag after box of clothes, books, toys, etc. And still - piles, piles, avalanches of piles.

I want my house to work and I guess I need more purging?

Just pat me on the back and remind me about the sanity I'll gain.
Don't think that you will rid yourselft of all that should go in one purge. I've been purging since '04. Purged after basement flood #1, basement flood #2, when I was unpacking after the move (took a year), and now that most of that stuff is gone I am combing through the holdouts.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#8 of 12 Old 10-26-2006, 02:20 PM

my dear cousin, who my daughter adores and spends tone of time with, sends dd home with a small bag of stuff. it is generally markers, paper, match box cars and i don't have the heart to say "no" so I end up never having to buy art materials but it also ads to the ever growing box of art stuff.
so this early summer, I purged lots of art stuff (donated it to a friend who did need it) and organized into baskets and placed the baskets in an old entertainment center. it did help but I am back to needing to purge again.

I feel like I give alot of energy to this and that is what is upsetting. when will it end?

though it really is better than it was...I need to remind myself of that!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#9 of 12 Old 10-26-2006, 04:02 PM

I've found that my decluttering goes in stages. I'll get rid of a pile of stuff but then still have a pile of stuff I keep and store. I sometimes have to kinda "sit on" items before I can declutter them. I find if I force myself to get rid of items I'm really not sure about, I will stew and fret over those and it slows my decluttering WAY down.

I also find that if I'm in the mood to declutter a particular room/closet/shelf I have to do it right then (like within a few days of getting the urge) or I won't do it at all.
#10 of 12 Old 10-26-2006, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Heather*** View Post
I've found that if I take a look at the decluttering topics here, then go turn on the TV and start watching an episode of "Neat" or "Mission; Organization" it gets me pumped and ready to go.
Wow ! I don't have cable, but just googled both of these shows, and their sites have great, really inspirational before & after pics.
#11 of 12 Old 10-26-2006, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opally View Post
Wow ! I don't have cable, but just googled both of these shows, and their sites have great, really inspirational before & after pics.

Make me wish we could get cable here.
#12 of 12 Old 10-27-2006, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Actually- I love Neat. Great show- I no longer have Satellite, though (and we dont have cable up here)

Thanks everyone! I needed that.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page