Airtight/bug proof Containers For Clothing Etc in Storage Shed? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-01-2006, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would love to store stuff in our shed.
But, last time I did it I got meldew on the clothing and mice got into the tub and chewed up clothing! We live near a HUGE field and the storage shed is not the best. But, we have a tiny house and need some of this stuff to be stored.
Any options?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 11-01-2006, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have you tried them? They come in various sizes, and are pretty reasonably priced. (They're also more substantial than the off brand - Sterlite, I think it's called.) Plus, they stack on top of each other, so you can just pile them up!

The only thing about storing them "outside" is that you have to be really careful not to fill them too full. Otherwise, the lids pop off, and critters have access to whatever's inside.

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#3 of 11 Old 11-01-2006, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

What about the moisture though?
We live in rainy Oregon and there is ALWAYS a ton of moisture in the shed!
#4 of 11 Old 11-01-2006, 08:52 PM

I haven't had any problems with moisture in rubbermaid totes as long as the lids are snapped on tightly, if you stuff them to the brim the lids don't fit as tight so leave a little bit of space. I don't live in Oregon though. When our basement flooded anything in a tote was fine.
#5 of 11 Old 11-01-2006, 09:20 PM

I just bought some great Rubbermaid brand totes at Home Depot that are made with cedar! They keep moths, silverfish and other little critters from eating your clothes! They're made to store clothes in.
Good luck, don't know about the moisture thing though, maybe put the clothes in plastic bags sealed shut and then in the tote?

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#6 of 11 Old 11-01-2006, 09:44 PM

Sorry, I don't know what to suggest. For outdoors in your climate I would not suggest the Rubbermade totes in either the regular or cedar materials. The lids aren't sealed, just snapped on. Moisture can still seep in and clothes can hold enough moist air to mildew or rot. If you were to try them, I would try and find a spot to stack them indoors, or try putting everything in bags first within the totes.
#7 of 11 Old 11-01-2006, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, when they got mildew I was using rubbermaid containers.
Maybe I could put the clothing in Space bags and then in the rubbermaid?:
#8 of 11 Old 11-02-2006, 01:36 AM

Dang, I get a catalog that has a thing you can use to store stuff in places with moisture / bug issues - its like a tent you seal everything in, its designed to hang from the rafters in your basement or attic - but I can't remember what catalog it was or what it was called!

ETA - Found it! "Attic Stor-Pod" http://www.improvementscatalog.com/P...9x&dept%5Fid=1 I thought it was the improvements catalog, but not knowing what it was called made it hard to find.

If you search for "Stor-Pod" you'll find a lot of places sell them, including target.com

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#9 of 11 Old 11-03-2006, 12:25 AM

I live in the PNW, and I put baby clothes in two plastic bags tied very tight, and then in Rubbermaids, making sure they were not overfilled. It worked well, although they were stored in our garage, not the shed. We have 70 mph winds frequently at our house though (Cascade Foothills), so our garage isn't the most airtight space on the planet. I just purged DD's baby clothes this summer, so they were stored that way for 3+ years, and everything was fine. Still smelled a bit like the lavendar I put in my dryer even, along with a bit of plastic garbage bag smell! Good luck! The moisture around here is definitely an issue....
#10 of 11 Old 11-05-2006, 03:01 PM

We have the same issue here. I noticed ziploc or some such company has giant bags now at Longs and elsewhere. Perhaps I will try those inside plastic tubs....I am on my way to the dump with a load of mildewed, miced messes myself.
#11 of 11 Old 11-07-2006, 02:42 AM

We have tried just about everything and still have fought with mold and mice.

I am of no help there but would love to see any new ideas myself!

Resistance is futile Matey

User Tag List