Argh! I think I've had it with Freecycle! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
1  2
Organize & Declutter > Argh! I think I've had it with Freecycle!
rsps's Avatar rsps 06:18 AM 11-30-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by indieand View Post
My all-time freecycle record is getting rid of a washing machine in *two hours* on moving day when it broke. I posted, and POOF, gone. That was awesome!
I got rid of a broken computer in less than twenty minutes!!

Generally I only freecycle things that I feel wouldn't work for a charity (big bag of scrap fabric) or things too difficult to get there (old security screen door).

The only no show I've had was for a box of blocks -- so they went to goodwill.

And I got a brand new bread machine from posting a wanted ad!!

medeanj's Avatar medeanj 02:31 PM 12-01-2006
I think we would get rid of more stuff if DH would allow people to come pick up the stuff on our porch. I have to resort meeting at a central location and it is really a hassle. And he wonders why I do not post very often.

Regarding the no-shows. It might help by mentioning in your offer post that serious enquiries only and there is no second chance if you do not pick up the first time, NO EXCEPTIONS.
melissel's Avatar melissel 04:53 PM 12-01-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by medeanj View Post
I think we would get rid of more stuff if DH would allow people to come pick up the stuff on our porch. I have to resort meeting at a central location and it is really a hassle. And he wonders why I do not post very often.

Regarding the no-shows. It might help by mentioning in your offer post that serious enquiries only and there is no second chance if you do not pick up the first time, NO EXCEPTIONS.
Oh, that would never, never work for me! The whole point is so that I can get rid of stuff without having to leave the house

I think my problem is I'm too much of a softie. I know how many times things come up for me, so I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. I guess I've really only one actual never-show. The others all just needed an extra day, and with two little ones at home, plus my work schedule, I am overly sympathetic.

Now, the woman with the phone calls, that was a different story. I should have known better, I went against my instincts on that one. She's the woman who responded about a bunch of baby stuff I listed this past summer, and instead of responding to my query about when she would pick up, she just sent her daughter over with all her kids. So here I am, in my pajamas, unshowered, working, while my mom is upstairs with the girls. The stuff isn't even all together yet, and they come knocking on the door. Then the littlest one asks to use the bathroom, and all of a sudden they ALL need to use the bathroom, then they want to start wandering around my house. After they left, I found pee all over my toilet and floor. So yeah, I should have known better on that one!
Eli's_mommy's Avatar Eli's_mommy 05:49 PM 12-04-2006
I'm done with freecycle and Craig's list free stuff. I've found hardly anything... and, when I did find something, the woman was so rude I could hardly stand it! It took everything in my being to still polite to her. When I told her I was going to be a bit late because it SNOWED here, she said- "you're not doing anything for me, so just forget it!" : :

WTF?
melikahiwa's Avatar melikahiwa 02:52 AM 12-08-2006
I have had pretty good luck with Freecycle too.
I get a lot of of things and give a lot as well.
Only problem I had was one guy saying how badly he wanted plants for his wife in their new place and I put out like 5 and he took 1. The largest one, which he had promised to trade me a pot for since it was a huge pot and he had actually offered to replant it and leave the pot but we worked out a trade.

i don't get out of the house much so I love it. Plus DD's entire wardrobe is from Freecycle. I don't know what I would have done without it!
Quaniliaz's Avatar Quaniliaz 03:06 AM 12-08-2006
I have had pretty good luck with freecycle. Definately had my fair share of no shows. The first woman came and picked up a chair and she was so so thankful it made me thrilled to freecycle.

Then when I moved I posted that we had a huge stack of boxes. The first person was a no show. The second person said he couldn't come for two weeks, and could I keep them for him. I said sure, but I lived in a triplex apartment - I didn't have room, but I could keep them on the porch- I wasn't sure if they would stay there all two weeks. The morning he was planning on coming they were there, but someone must have snagged them because I got an extremely rude and angry email from him saying how much of a pain it was for him to come and only find a couple boxes. If his biggest problem in life is that he had to drive a couple of miles and be deprived of cardboard boxes... Whatever.

My last find was a washer and dryer!! woohoo!!!

Also I went to pick up a huge bunch of toys from someone because she said there were a bunch of legos. She mentioned where she got them from and it turns out they were from a friend of mine - our kids play together every week. I think we could have skipped the middle man.... :LOL
bendmom's Avatar bendmom 08:28 PM 12-08-2006
I posted our changing table for $20 this summer on craigslist. I had repainted it and it was pretty nice for $20. One guy kept emailing me and finally wanted me to call and set up a time for his wife to come by and look at it, even though I had posted pics and close up pics. She finally came after phone tag and didn't get it: I reposted it and got a reponse from a woman who lived the next town over about 40 min drive. She came and wrote a check, and then it wouldn't fit in her car. So she said she was going to leave it and get her friend's truck. When she came back a bit later it was gone. I thought she had picked it up, but she had left it sitting on the sidewalk, and someone had taken it! I asked my neighbor across the street if she had seen anything, and it was the kids down the street who took it. Since we thought it was stolen I gave the lady her money back and she went home. Then I got the table back and contacted the lady and she came back a couple of days later. Such a pain! I didn't get why she would leave something she paid for on the frickin side walk!
MomToKandE's Avatar MomToKandE 09:46 PM 12-10-2006
I've had mostly good luck with freecycle. I've had a few no-shows but I always had a backup person so in the end everything got out. The only really unplesant experience was once when I told someone this is my address, tell me when you'd like to come and I'll put the stuff out for you. They didn't reply. Then I contacted them again to ask when they'd like to come they got all huffy saying they'd come and there was nothing on the porch. Duh! That's because I said "tell me when you're coming and I'll put it out" not "it's out, come anytime between now and never".
1  2

Up