Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do I need ALL of these?

Food processor:
occassional grating of carrots

Blender:
daily smoothie

Immersion blender:
don't have, but after running cooked pumpkin in the food processor for 20 minutes before I got a puree, I want one!

Oh no! I just looked at the vita-mix for the first time! and i've been wanting a grain grinder... now if I can just find one used...

Help! Talk me off of the ledge!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2006, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Don't know if this counts as talking you down from the ledge, but I have this Braun thing that has a wand one attaches to a) an immersion blender (which I use for my smoothies), b) a whisk, c) a small food processor. There are other optional attachments. We almost never use anything else (well, except the Kitchen-Aid mixer, of course), so I'm contemplating getting rid of the blender and its food-processing equipment. My sister got one of these after seeing mine and she said to make sure to get the higher-powered option so you don't have stalling on the smoothies.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phroggies View Post
Don't know if this counts as talking you down from the ledge, but I have this Braun thing that has a wand one attaches to a) an immersion blender (which I use for my smoothies), b) a whisk, c) a small food processor. There are other optional attachments. We almost never use anything else (well, except the Kitchen-Aid mixer, of course), so I'm contemplating getting rid of the blender and its food-processing equipment. My sister got one of these after seeing mine and she said to make sure to get the higher-powered option so you don't have stalling on the smoothies.
We have this, too, and LOVE it! I was able to get rid of my food processor, and the mixer is definitely enough for what we do. It's called the Braun Multimix. We got it for a Christmas present one year. We still have our blender, though, because we make smoothies (enough for 3 servings) and the very occassional frozen drink in it.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_goldman View Post
Do I need ALL of these?

Food processor:

Blender:
daily smoothie

Immersion blender:
don't have, but after running cooked pumpkin in the food processor for 20 minutes before I got a puree, I want one!

Oh no! I just looked at the vita-mix for the first time! and i've been wanting a grain grinder... now if I can just find one used...

I think it is sounds like you only use the blender regularly so that is a definite keep. Do you really grate carrots that much (which can be done by hand easily) or make pureed squash frequently? If not and you can make those items without the gadget, then I'd say get rid of it.

This is coming from the woman who currently has a Vitamix, kitchenaid mixer and food processor on her counter I really do use them all the time though and they don't fit in a cabinet.

ETA: Just wanted to say that you might think about getting a Vitamix to replace everything but the food processor. I mine and make pureed soups in it all the time. It makes smoothies and salad dressings super smooth because it goes so fast. Very expensive, but has been used tons in my house. I made a smoothie for dd and creamy tahini dressing in it yesterday. I swear I don't work for the company! LOL!

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

Old 11-16-2006, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_goldman View Post
Do I need ALL of these?

Food processor:

Blender:
daily smoothie

Immersion blender:

We got rid of our old blender, our cuisineart food processor and INVESTED in a Vitamix. It was very expensive - less so at Costco where we bought it - and TOTALLY worth it. We use it almost every day for smoothies! Rugged and wonderful!
Old 11-16-2006, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I make smoothies, grate things, chop things, and puree things in the food processor. The only time I use the immersion blender is if I'm making a bean or potato soup and want to partially blend to make it creamy.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Old 11-16-2006, 05:51 PM

I don't own a food processor or immersion blender, so I don't think you need one.

A blender is a nice thing to own and it sounds like you use it frequently.

I did, however, just buy a food mill - the kind with three discs that you turn by hand. I've wanted one for a long time and finally bought it for pureeing pumpkin. Worked like a charm - I ran it through once on the medium disc and once on the fine disc and got a very nice puree. I'm looking forward to making sauces and soups with it.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
Old 11-16-2006, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your ideas, mammas! Love 'em. Keep 'em coming! :
Old 11-16-2006, 08:49 PM

Well, I have and use all of those....but I'd say I use my regular blender the least.

I LOVE my food processor - esp since I started using it for pastry crusts - it is so much faster than hand cutting!!! I also use it to make pesto pretty often and for shredding potatoes (for hash browns), etc.

My imersion blender is also great - I make a lot of soup and the pureed ones are much easier with this!!! I hated trying to transfer the batches of hot liquid to the blender - what a mess and OUCH if you get too much in there!

I do use my blender for smoothies and a few other things, but I bet I could use one of the other 2 for those - just never tried. Now if I had a really nice one like a Vitamix, I imagine I would use it much more - just can't afford one quite yet!

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
Old 11-16-2006, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I like your ideas for using a food processor.

Mine is second-hand and now I think I know why: I have hearing loss from using it! seriously! and it doesn't get the stuff at the bottom of the bowl very well.

So do Mamas have food processors that they use to make smoothies in?
Old 11-16-2006, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

And I now have another question:

Do I need a slow cooker and a rice cooker?

I need to replace both, if I'm going to continue using them (scratched teflon and cracks in the crock).

I have a really nice gas stove with a simmer function...

Maybe I just need to get a timer!?!
Old 11-16-2006, 10:22 PM

*GASP* I couldn't survive without my slowcooker Ok, maybe I could, but I certainly wouldn't want to! I use it all. the. time. Rice cooker? Nah, I gave one away I got as a gift. I'd go : without my magic slowercooker to make dinner for me!

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

Old 11-16-2006, 10:38 PM

I think it all depends on what you use. I almost never use the blender, but I use the stick blender regularly for soups, and I use the food processor a few times a week for bread (or pizza) dough. I also use it for pie crusts.

I LOVE my rice cooker. I really didn't want it when we got it as a gift, but now that we have it, I love it. I make a lot of casseroles with rice, and I love to be able to set it up and then leave the house. When it's time to cook dinner, the rice is all ready to go.

It all comes down to how you cook, though. If you don't use something (and can't see a use for it, that could be another thread asking how people use stuff!), then why keep it?
Old 11-16-2006, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had a lousy rice cooker. It was a good way to burn rice. I have a veggie steamer with a rice bowl insert I use for rice, quinoa, irish oats, etc. It gets used for rice more often than for veggies (I tend to either nuke or stir fry veggies). I don't use my croc pot all that often, but still consider it indispensable for the things we do use it for. You can also cook rice in the microwave, making it very hard to burn.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Old 11-18-2006, 02:55 PM

Quote:
I LOVE my food processor - esp since I started using it for pastry crusts - it is so much faster than hand cutting!!!
The food processor does this so well: pie crust, crumb topping for apple crisp.

I do want an immersion blender for soups. funshine, is the food mill designed to be used to puree soups - what are its functions and what does it do best? People mentioned making smoothies with one but is it really powerful enough to puree frozen chunks of fruit?

But as for the rice cooker: that does seem superfluous to me. Once you have cooking rice on the stove down (even brown rice), it is so very easy. I have a tiny kitchen though so not having to store it/put it on the counter is a big deal for me.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, so I'm thinking hard about this again.... I don't want to own redundant appliances, but I need something that can blend smoothies (and I'm interested in having a grain mill, thus my obsession with Vitamix).

People who use an immersion blender but who also have a Vitamix: what do you use it for and under what circumstances?

Is the Vitamix a PITA to clean so that you find yourself using/wanting to use a small mini chopper for small jobs?

What else do I need to know?
Old 05-22-2008, 09:40 AM

I have, and use, all three.

Food processor I use primarily for grating carrots, potatoes, and zucchini. Also for making frosting and hummus. My food processor sat, broken, for several years until I finally got the part to fix it, and I am so glad I fixed it. We eat carrot muffins and potato pancakes fairly often, and it's worth it for that.

Stick blender I use for creaming up soups (we are non-dairy), scrambling eggs fast, and quickly blending together wet ingredients for muffins, etc. Not necessary but very convenient and a true timesaver.

Vita-Mix I use for smoothies and I used to use for grinding wheat into flour. I haven't gotten brave enough to try grinding rice into flour (we are now gluten-free) but I want to try it. I find the Vita-Mix hard to clean out and it doesn't do a great job with sticky stuff like making peanut butter or hummus. But for us, the ability to make super-ice-creamy-smoothies is why we have it. Oh, I also use it for whipping up eggs for Huffy Puffy, and blending yummy cold drinks with ice in the summertime.

Stand mixer I use for mixing some gluten-free baking stuff (whipping air into the batter), including pizza dough, cakes, and cookies. And bread, though I don't have a good GF bread recipe. I kept the stand mixer because I have heard so many people say it is essential for GF baking.

My kitchen is pretty simple but I feel these are important appliances for what I do.

We don't own a hand blender.

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
Old 05-22-2008, 09:43 AM

I don't think the vitamix is a pain to clean. If you do it right away, everything just comes right off, no problem.

I love my slow cooker! (Of course, I only have three - slow cooker, vitamix and hand held mixer - and I love them all, so I don't know if that's a fair statement. )
Old 05-22-2008, 10:45 AM

I use my immersion blender almost daily for things like salad dressings and smoothies- it is does far better with frozen fruit than my $100 blender! I pretty much use it for anything that you might normally use a blender but imo, the immersion wand is far easier to use- it's less bulky, clean-up is super easy, it doesn't have a million parts that need to be taken apart to be cleaned like the big blender and it works so darned well.

I often make several servings of smoothie all at once by blending it all directing in a quart sized jar or yogurt container.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:03 AM

It all comes down to what you use and how often and if something can do more then another item.

I use my food processor all the time. From dough to veggies.

The blender was my dads and sits in a corner until we go through our once a year margarita binge. I think I should dump it and get an immersion blender because we would love to do more with smoothies but never do because the blender is such a pain to use and wash.

I have a hand held mixer too that was given to me. Its only use is mashed potatoes. Can an immersion blender do mashed potatoes too?

My kitchen aid I also use almost daily.

Oh and we have an ice shaver too. We use it all summer. The blender is useless for that too. My son has a dairy allergy so we tend to make a lot of shaved ice desserts.

User Tag List