Organizing digital photos... is there an easier way? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 12-11-2006, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
YEAH !! I am new to the digital camera phase, dragged in kicking and screaming HAHA, so these ideas are great !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 42 Old 12-11-2006, 11:06 PM

Oh, I love Picasa.. but I've been so busy with my now toddler and online boutique that I haven't opened it up in ages! But I do love it. I love that it organizes by timeline and that you get to view them all. Plus their red-eye removal rocks.

As far as organizing the names, I just go by month. So I have a folder called Baby Girl --> Month 16 --> then photos files are named either by what event HolidayParty 054.jpg or generic BabyGirl 002.jpg. I hardly take pictures of anything other than my daughter now but if I do, it goes into the Random folder

I also burn onto DVD to backup. Speaking of which, should do this again tonight. Haven't heard anything about the decline of quality though..
#33 of 42 Old 12-18-2006, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Yes! Backing up is super important. I need to get an external hard drive... I tried the cd burning thing and I just get behind.
#34 of 42 Old 12-18-2006, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaJean View Post
Have you tried google's Picassa?? It's an amazing FREE program for editing and organizing photos. So easy to use.
Yes we love Picasa2 it is the best http://picasa.google.com/
#35 of 42 Old 12-18-2006, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemy2ds View Post
Yes we love Picasa2 it is the best http://picasa.google.com/
It looks not linkable. but when you click it it's linkable.
#36 of 42 Old 01-01-2007, 04:34 PM

I downloaded picasa2 and don't see how it is different from photoshop elements.....elements allows you to sort, tag and see photos in timeline mode etc....it can connect to photoshop to edit photos but is mostly organizational....any more differences? I am confused....:
#37 of 42 Old 01-01-2007, 11:03 PM

I also upload by year and month, and use shutterfly to print out the ones I want to scrapbook at the end of each month...shutterfly and York also have programs online to do the calendars and many other projects...

Havne't looked into Picassa...going there now....

sus
#38 of 42 Old 01-02-2007, 01:21 PM

I know all of this has been said but heres how I do it....

--January
----01-02-07
------(all of the pics that are on the camera from that day)

No I don't empty the camera every day.
I have pics (from film developted and put on cd) all the way back to 2000...

mother to E-(8).... A-(6) .... & N-(5)
Vivian Claire born 3-11-10.... ...still an , extendedmomma :
#39 of 42 Old 01-02-2007, 07:19 PM

www.digitalscrapbookplace.com is a great place to learn more about digital scrapbooking and picture organizational ideas. I have heard about thumbsplus. for organizing, and you can resize a whole folder of pics to upload to the web at once. I have a folder for each year, then each event. There can be some months I don't take any pics, so I don't use months.
#40 of 42 Old 01-02-2007, 08:19 PM

I love Picasa. I let it search both of our computers and find whatever photos it could and it found stuff I had completely forgotten about and hadn't seen in years. I love Picasa!!!
#41 of 42 Old 01-02-2007, 10:42 PM

I try to back up to CD as well, but I've had a couple of CDs of photos that have gotten corrupted somehow, so that's not a perfect solution either!

I try to upload photos to Snapfish once a month to get prints made. That way I have prints. It's easiest for me to upload a month at a time and order prints from one month at a time. Even if I upload several months at once, I order each month's prints as a separate order. That way each month's prints comes in its own envelope (instead of all jumbled together in a giant package). Then when the prints come, I can jot the month and year on the envelope so I'll know when they're from when I finally put them in an album.
#42 of 42 Old 01-03-2007, 04:06 PM

Maybe this will help someone else becaue it REALLY helped me. Part of the reason I got so far behind is because I hadn't figured out how I was going to display the photos. I wanted to scrapbook, but don't have the software and was a little wary that it would take too long. But I wanted to get started. I just couldn't figure out how to assemble my album (was it going to be sticky sheets, or scrapbooked and inserted, etc.)

So I printed out tons of photos that I liked with the hope that I would somehow find the time to scrapbook them. Of course they got out of order, I finally got a big box and added all my loose photos to it and all the other photos from other people, etc. and tried to order them in there. Well the box was a good idea-- just not to print out SOO many photos at once.

They still sit there in the box-- but I do throw things in this box that I want to save and scrapbook (little pieces of art, cards from family members, etc.) So I do think setting a space aside for things is helpful. I took a loss on printing out so many individual photos after I decided that I pretty much needed to do it a different way.

What I started to do is print out album pages. I have a HP printer and it came with some software that I use-- very simple layouts you can select from (The layouts 'albums' are 4 to a page, 8 to a page, some collages with 15-20 pictures, etc, etc.). Then I print out the pages and put them in a sheet protector in a 3 ring binder. This saves printing each individual photo and then cutting them and then finding the time to put them in a book. Afterwards I can go back and add stickers, designs, etc if I want to spice it up. I've saved cute wrapping paper (in my box), for example. Each album may be a theme, an age, or a special event (holiday, wedding, etc) but everythign is roughly chronological with a few 'fun' collages here and there. This is not only to just be fun, but sometimes I needed a page between one section, or for the back of a page before starting a new 'album', for example.

I also have some unfinished 'albums' saved on my computer that I can add pictures too (like a babywearing album, nursing photo's, bath's) it saves the pictures so I don't have to find them again and then if I take another cute one I can add it to the album and print the sheet out when I have collected enough photos.

I have pieces on my computer that I have written about ds or parenting-- and again,I have the box. But I feel a lot less stressed knowing that I can just add these pieces to my book without getting further and further behind on printing/doing something. Sometimes I print a page with a blank space intending that I can 'write' something and add it to the album later.

I started doing this when ds was just over a year and I REALLY REALLY wish I had started off this way because I would have saved myself countless hours going through piles of single printed photos and files on my computer to find that 'one cute photo of something....'.

I briefly noticed that Kodak does allow you to send albums like this in and they will print them for you, but I have a printer and can print them out on my own. I have not looked into that much, but the companies that do it probably have their own software that you use. The consideration might be that you MAY have to be online on their website while using the album-- while others you MAY be able to arrange the album on your computer and then upload the pages for printing.

I would like a fancier editing program but I decided that it was better to get started and catch up rather than delay. Plus I can always do a neat scrapbook or digital scapbook page of favorite photos and stick that in my photo book (see, I just love the fact that the binders allow that freedom).

There are some photobooks that have a nicer format than a sheet protector- they allow you to clip the page into the book bindings. So you don't see the 3 holes or the binder part. My dad got me one but it is very small and much more expensive to get the inserts. It DOES look more professional than the binder look.

EmmaGoldman asked about calendars
I realize this is too late for this past holiday but Kodakgallery also had a program that you can add your photos and print out calendars-- which we did the last 2 Christmas's for family members-- a BIG HUGE hit. They are $20.00 each. This year I did the photobooks because I had 2 free credits and they were amazing. It does take a while of online time to upload the photos and arrange the calendars/photobooks, but they were worth it. Be careful and check shipping costs or have them delivered to a local CVS for much less. BTW, I've used vista print for business cards since they have so many free offers (pay shipping for 250 cards at about $5.00) and kodak sends WAY less mail than vistaprint, lol!)
http://www.kodakgallery.com/Welcome.jsp

BTW, I also use a 3 ring binder and sheet protectors for all my recipes and all the recipe clippings I've collected.

I'm not sure my explanation was too clear. Sorry!

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page