Organizing digital photos... is there an easier way? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 11-18-2006, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I never know where to put computer questions. If anyone knows a better place than this, let me know and I'll never forget again :

I am trying to get my zillions of digital pics organized. Now, I have been very good over the years keeping them in labeled folders with sub folders, etc, but it is getting out of control and I want to weed out a lot of the bad pics and reorganize.

Is there any way to do this where I don't have to go through each individual folder? I am thinking maybe some kind of album program?

TIA!:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 42 Old 11-18-2006, 03:48 AM

Have you tried google's Picassa?? It's an amazing FREE program for editing and organizing photos. So easy to use.
#3 of 42 Old 11-18-2006, 04:53 AM

My photos are organized by year, then month. I use the Windows picture viewer to go through each month and my keyboard (delete and the arrow keys) to go through and clean things up.

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#4 of 42 Old 11-18-2006, 06:35 AM

Yep, Picasa. It's free and really great. When you download it it will automatically scan all your pic files and organize them. (If you have any men in your house that use the computer, make sure they know this is going to happen, heh heh.)

Then, each time you upload pics to your camera, you can title the new folder and it puts them in there. I love it.
#5 of 42 Old 11-18-2006, 12:23 PM

i totally love picasa!!! it's so organized!
#6 of 42 Old 11-18-2006, 02:45 PM

Dup Detector is also a cool program to help you eliminate duplicate or near identical photos (who hasn't done the "one more, just in case!" thing). It allows you to preview and select the photo to be deleted. It's free too, which is always a bonus.
#7 of 42 Old 11-18-2006, 03:20 PM

:

I have 5 years worth of digital photos organized by year, but that is it.

Also, do you guys print out your pictures and put them into albums? What do you use? Is it possible to make scrapbooking pages on the computer and print the whole thing out?

Hope you don't mind me asking, devonc!
#8 of 42 Old 11-18-2006, 03:21 PM

Until recently, I was super lazy about printing out my digital pictures. I do now, only cause we have a new digital camera that takes amazing photos and my parents bought us a photo printer that we can just put the SD card in and print direct (no computer needed).
#9 of 42 Old 11-18-2006, 04:48 PM

Another Picasa fan here.

nothing more to say I guess :
#10 of 42 Old 11-18-2006, 04:55 PM

Bwuahahaha Of COURSE there is digital scrapbooking! If it can be done, it will be done!

My favorite site is scrapbook-bytes.com Lots of freebies and paid kits too, great community and so much inspiration.

I personally scrapbook the best pictures and print them (I've got an great printer) at 8x8 and mount them on scrapbook pages in a store bought scrapbook. All the other pictures I go through, delete the worst and burn to disk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloverlove View Post
:

I have 5 years worth of digital photos organized by year, but that is it.

Also, do you guys print out your pictures and put them into albums? What do you use? Is it possible to make scrapbooking pages on the computer and print the whole thing out?

Hope you don't mind me asking, devonc!

#11 of 42 Old 11-18-2006, 06:44 PM

Thanks Synthea™!

Sorry for being dense, but do you just mount the entire piece of photo paper on the scapbook page?
#12 of 42 Old 11-20-2006, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter

Downloaded Picasa... I am LOOOOOVING it so far!! Thanks ladies!!
#13 of 42 Old 11-20-2006, 03:29 AM

Ooo, organization ideas are always good. I'm downloading Picasa as I speak.
#14 of 42 Old 11-20-2006, 10:08 AM

I don't know if this will help anybody, but I keep them orgnized largely by how I name them. I put year, dash, 2 digit month, dash, two digit day, then a space, then a 3 digit number for the order they were taken in that day.

So, lets say I took a picture of my wild hair on January 6, 2004, the 8th picture I took would be saved as:
"2004-01-06 008 jfers hair"

The folders are divided by month ( 2004_01 January ). I put the month because I am terrible about remembering which month a number represents once you get past april.

This is nice when you are saving a huge chunk of them someplace else because then the naturally arrange themselves in order because of how they are named.

On your uploading or photo handling software, look for a feature called "batch rename". Most programs that have that have a setting where you can number things by putting in a # where you want the numbers. Using the previous example, I would do a batch rename of my hair, and have all 30 pictures of my hair named: "2004-01-06 ### jfers hair"

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#15 of 42 Old 11-20-2006, 01:25 PM

Wow, Picassa looks fantastic! I've been meaning to organize all those photos, but unmotivated because I didn't know how to do it. Once again the Mothering Mamas come through with great information and ideas! THanks for sharing and to the OP for asking the question!

SAHM to two amazing boys
8-21-05
#16 of 42 Old 11-20-2006, 04:03 PM

and if so do you prefer it over iphoto. I stongly dislike: iphoto, so much so that I don't spend time editing photos. mac users weigh in....
#17 of 42 Old 11-20-2006, 04:12 PM

just another plug for picasa. it rocks and it's so easy to use.
#18 of 42 Old 11-20-2006, 04:14 PM

yet another plug for Picassa. My 75 yo old mom got me hooked. it is by far the easiest program out there.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#19 of 42 Old 11-20-2006, 04:15 PM

Also a Picasa user, esp. if you can take the time to really label and keyword your pics. Another commercial option is Irfanview.

Oh, and has anyone tried the Picasaweb Albums? I'm trying to choose between that and Flickr.
#20 of 42 Old 11-22-2006, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloverlove View Post
Thanks Synthea™!

Sorry for being dense, but do you just mount the entire piece of photo paper on the scapbook page?
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I didn't see this was moves (I really should start subscribing)

Yes, I buy those clear photo corners. I print the page out at 8x8 and trim off (got one of those paper trimmers too) the ends and plop them onto a page. I have 2 scrapbooks chocked full of memories and moments, I love it.

#21 of 42 Old 11-23-2006, 08:34 PM

Ok, now I want to try Picasa
#22 of 42 Old 11-26-2006, 04:19 AM

Is Picasa better that Adobe Photoshop Elements? That is what I have, but I've never used it yet. Should I just get Picasa instead?
#23 of 42 Old 11-26-2006, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter

Elements is an editing program, and it's great for more advanced editing beyond simple cropping, red eye reduction, change to b&w, etc. I also love it for making digital scrapbook pages.

Picasa is an organizing program, so you can really use both - I do!

Did you mean Adobe PS Album? I am not really familiar with this but I think it is the same idea as Picasa... not sure which is better though, sorry!!
#24 of 42 Old 12-02-2006, 05:07 AM

PP, why do you dislike iPhoto? I have had no problems... But I am just a utilitarian photo-uploader.

So I just heard that DVDs with photos on them degrade over time. (Probably a LONG time, but still...) So what do y'all do to backup your photos?
#25 of 42 Old 12-02-2006, 05:08 AM

Oh yeah! Sorry, OT: This year I want to make some photo calendars as gifts. Does anyone have advice about how/where?
#26 of 42 Old 12-04-2006, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_goldman View Post
Oh yeah! Sorry, OT: This year I want to make some photo calendars as gifts. Does anyone have advice about how/where?
Vistaprint do just about everything but they will hound you forever with their special offers!
#27 of 42 Old 12-05-2006, 01:55 AM

Mine are in a folder labeled "Photos."

Then each set of photos from different trips or months etc, is in it's own folder. All the folders and photos are labeled like this: 2006- Oct. 1-5 Snowqualmie trip (for example.) Starting with the year is great because the computer sorts them with the years all together.

Once I have more photos, I will create folders for each year, but for now I like them all displayed as they are. Everytime my memory card fills up, I burn the photos onto disks before I empty it. That way there are always two copies if one gets lost/deleted.
#28 of 42 Old 12-05-2006, 02:31 AM

I am a huge digital photographer. When most poeple take 1 photo, I take 13. My philosophy is take a ton and pick the best one. Honestly, I have gigs and gigs of photos. Long ago I used to try to label them by activity or subject, but I would have problems - duplicate filenames - or my biggest problem which was I download my pictures and label them 'joe's wedding' in the download tool, but yet it had pictures of playing in the pool on it too, so now those pictures are mislabeled by the filename and going through and constantly changing filenames didn't appeal to me, besides I find sort order is important. So I've settled into my current scheme and it works really well for me.

I have a 'My pictures' folder (its on its own disk, I need lots of space)
In that folder, I have a folder for each year. In each year folder, I have a folder for each month, labelled so they will sort appropriately (01January, 02February, 03March, etc)
The photos themselves when I download from my camera I give them a filename of the date they were downloaded in an order so that they sort correctly Year-Month-Day and then the utility assigns a number to the specific picture. I do this because it guarantees me the filename will be completely unique and I won't have two 'christmas 007.jpg' that I accidentally overwrite. I download the camera fairly frequently, so the date of download is close to the date the picture was taken. Windows has a field for 'date picture taken' so if I want to get that specific the information is there and I'll use that field to sort by when I want the pictures in order.

Every so often (I would like it to be once a month, but I get behind) I go through my pictures and put the best up on my website to share with friends and family. I edit them (I then save the file with "edited" appended to the filename) and make smaller versions (all my originals are huge - 2-3MB each) labelled with a sm_ appended to the front of the filename which I put up on my website in a similar year / month organization.

I have tried google picasa, but honestly I just have too many pictures - and they are all so big it just doesn't work well. I find I have no problem remembering when something happened so I go to the rough date if I want a picture of that event and/or I just scan through the different folders if I'm just looking for a cute picture of my daughter for a craft project, etc.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#29 of 42 Old 12-05-2006, 07:10 PM

I didn't see it mentioned so I wanted to take BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP. Our hard drive crashed earlier this year and the one thing we lost that can't be replaced are the pictures. Most had not been printed. So, be sure to create a backup either on another drive, CD, etc.

I'll have to remember to look into Picasa, it sounds like a hit with you ladies.

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#30 of 42 Old 12-05-2006, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wateraddict View Post
I didn't see it mentioned so I wanted to take BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP. Our hard drive crashed earlier this year and the one thing we lost that can't be replaced are the pictures. Most had not been printed. So, be sure to create a backup either on another drive, CD, etc.

I'll have to remember to look into Picasa, it sounds like a hit with you ladies.

I burn my pictures to DVD to back up. I should do it again because I'm about a year behind now. Yeah, not good to lose them, all my pictures are digital and I don't print most of them, though my website works as something of a backup of the lowres versions

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page