Black Friday - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 11-25-2006, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Even the name sounds ominous, doesn't it? Black Friday....

Just wondering what everyone did on the day after Thanksgiving. I know many of us are trying to simplify, others are working on being frugal, and some are following The Compact.

Since dh was off work, I left Kenzie with him and went out to thrift stores and Half Price Books and pretty much finished up my Christmas shopping. Since a few of the thrift stores had good sales (50% off everything at one), I spent less than $75 total for everyone - friends and extended family included. Phew! Boy, do my feet hurt today!

So, while I didn't observe Buy Nothing Day, I didn't buy anything new.

What did you do on Black Friday?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 30 Old 11-25-2006, 04:36 PM

I went out with dh. We did buy a new bike for one of the kids for Christmas but we bought it from a local small business owner. Then we went to the resale shop and I got a pair of maternity pants. Nothing too thrilling. There was a picture in our local paper of the madness at a Wal Mart and I seriously wanted to throw up! It was so disgusting!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#3 of 30 Old 11-25-2006, 04:43 PM

I stayed in my jammies all day, ate leftovers and watched some fun movies on the sci-fi channel, then later dh and I watched You, Me and Dupree. Dh and ds#2 were in their jammies most of the day, too. Ds#1 had to get dressed in the afternoon and go to work. Poor him!

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#4 of 30 Old 11-25-2006, 04:59 PM

Cleaned out the garage.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#5 of 30 Old 11-25-2006, 08:21 PM

we shopped for stuff we needed.........then cleaned out the pantry
#6 of 30 Old 11-25-2006, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkypoet View Post
Since dh was off work, I left Kenzie with him and went out to thrift stores and Half Price Books.

What did you do on Black Friday?
Off topic: I miss Half Price Books. DW and I were regulars when we lived in Seattle. *sigh*

Back on topic: We stayed home and enjoyed DS's company and got the house ready for the Christmas holiday season. We didn't put up the decorations yet (it should be illegal to do it until at least December 1st IMHO) but we did get the house ready for them, decluttered, made space, planned it out, etc. Then, we had some friends over and had leftovers and played some games. (Pit and Arne, which are too much fun, highly recommend them!)

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#7 of 30 Old 11-26-2006, 01:00 AM

We went to the zoo (and the kids didn't even ask to go to the gift store)!
#8 of 30 Old 11-26-2006, 03:19 AM

Got up at 4:30 and went to the evil empire, the Sam's for free breakfast, then TRU. I spent a lot of money (for us - pittance for many others) but got almost all the present shopping for the kids done. I did no good at all, I even wasted a ton of gas going 2 hours to my inlaws, which was a hellish trip, including taking 5 hours to get home cause I had to keep stopping and feeding and comforting a gassy baby. I did no good for the world that day. Sigh.

At least I saved hundreds over what I would have spent without the sales.

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#9 of 30 Old 11-26-2006, 06:17 AM

I would never go to the stores on Black Friday I tend to make most of my Holiday gifts anyway.

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

#10 of 30 Old 11-26-2006, 06:23 AM

Who needs to go to an actual store anyway, nowadays? eShopping makes it all so much easier, and you can stay home, avoid long lines, and spend time with your family.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#11 of 30 Old 11-26-2006, 10:33 AM

I will start out by saying I HATE to go shopping anytime, let alone when stores are full. This was the first year I went shopping on BF and it was only to Joanns Fabrics for flannel and fleece. They had flannel for $1 a yard and with a flyer coupon 20% off, so in the end it was .80 a yard and fleece was $1.60 a yard. I got enough to make my husband and myself slings for the baby (baby is due in 2 weeks) and flannel sheets for the co-sleeper. I felt like such a light weight compared to some of the other shoppers that had already been to 2 or 3 other stores before getting there, but there is no way I would go any where else, I was only gone for 2 hours and that was more than enough for me. People are crazy about this shopping thing, I just don't understand.
#12 of 30 Old 11-26-2006, 01:04 PM

I hate crowds. I tried the Thanksgiving weekend shopping ONCE. That was enough to last me a lifetime.

I stayed home w/ ds #2, #1 was spending the day on the IL's farm and dh was working. We did mostly nothing all day.
#13 of 30 Old 11-26-2006, 07:11 PM

I hate crowds, I hate greed, I hate shopping, I hate spending money.

I spent my black friday catching up on things. We are in the black and we want to keep it that way so we stay home on black friday. Most of my purchases are done online. I did finally get out on Saturday night when the novelty wore off and the kids were in bed and dh wanted 10 minutes to himself. I went and bought 2 pairs of jeans in a size that is two sizes down from what I have been wearing. I guess my frugalness also trimmed my hips and waist. Loving it!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#14 of 30 Old 11-26-2006, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
Off topic: I miss Half Price Books. DW and I were regulars when we lived in Seattle. *sigh*
Also OT: Awww... I miss Half Price Books too! : Though I think I miss Twice Sold Tales more...

Back ON topic...

I went out on BF with my best friend. Mostly just to hang out with her. I barely bought anything, and we went out late and missed most of the good sales anyway. She didn't even know what Black Friday was and she was really p!ssed when she found out that all the great sales advertized at Evil Mart (shudde... i9t wasn't MY idea to go there!) were already over (they still had the sale tags on a lot of things).
Part of me wanted to go out early in the midst of the maddness though... it's kind of a rush. : I'm short on cash right now though and didn't really have anything I needed to buy anyway. I went to the mall yesterday though (again... shudder) but it wasn't as crounded as I would have guessed.
#15 of 30 Old 11-27-2006, 03:58 AM

Stayed in my jammies till I had to go to work at 2pm then after work I hit up the meat department because everything non-holiday-related was marked down 30%
#16 of 30 Old 11-27-2006, 04:04 AM

We rested and napped and rested. In the evening we took dd on the train to the city and back (just for the ride). It was a huge adventure for her.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#17 of 30 Old 11-27-2006, 01:24 PM

Hate shopping. Hate crowds more. Shopping on black friday is like a panic attack waiting to happen for me.

After a few years of attempting to adhere to buy nothing day and failing (mostly little things like coffee or groceries, etc) we succeeded this year! We stayed home most of the day eating leftovers and then went for a walk at a county park (where it was customer appreciation day so the parking fee was suspended! yay!). It was a nice walk for the first 10 mins or so until DS decided to scream his head off for no apparent reason! We got understanding looks from the other walkers, but I still felt bad for DH, who had really been looking forward to the walk and "peace and quiet" of nature. Oh well, we mostly laughed about it in the end.

I'm kind of uber-proud of myself for not buying anything on Friday, since we ran ourselves out of flour and baking powder the day before. We restocked on Saturday.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#18 of 30 Old 11-27-2006, 02:06 PM

dh and I are still : over not thinking to attack the other meats this week like a pp did and end up with such good deals.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#19 of 30 Old 11-27-2006, 02:28 PM

We avoid the stores on Black Friday. Our Christmas budget is pretty small anyway, so the 'big deal' items usually aren't on our shopping list.

We did drive across the state to see my family for Thanksgiving, so we bought gas. Oh, and a couple six packs of beer for the weekend.

A friend of mine gave us some toys, so that doesn't help with the decluttering. But most of them are things we'll use. Some of the loud electronic toys are going to go on freecycle, I think.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#20 of 30 Old 11-27-2006, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
Who needs to go to an actual store anyway, nowadays? eShopping makes it all so much easier, and you can stay home, avoid long lines, and spend time with your family.
Except everyone had the same idea and many sites crashed that day

I went out and only bought a few essentials that were much cheaper than usual.
#21 of 30 Old 11-27-2006, 06:17 PM

I cleaned out my vegetable garden, worked on my compost, started to re-dig my beds for next year, worked on the cob tea house in the backyard, did laundry, watched a movie with my lovely husband.

I was sore the next day though!

No shopping. I hate shopping anyhow. But I got phone calls from my mother while SHE shopped!!!! That was frightening!!!
#22 of 30 Old 11-27-2006, 07:34 PM

We were going to be with 18 memebers of extended family for 4 days in a row, so my hubby and I decided to take off and spend most of the day by ourselves. We went to the biggest fanciest mall we could find and just walked around. The thing I enjoyed most was spending time with my hubby alone, and all I bought was 5 pairs of underware from Victoria Secret. 5 for $25 baby! (I know Vic's isn't the most desireable, but I love their stretchy comfy undies.)
#23 of 30 Old 11-27-2006, 07:39 PM

I usually make it a point NOT to go shopping on 'black friday' but ended up popping into Joann Fabric to get stuff so I could occupy myself over the weekend since dh had to work.

BTW, doesn't black friday seem not the best name for a day you WANT people to go out shopping on? I mean, wasn't Black Tuesday the 'beginning' of the great depression? Seems like a bad idea to me, I dunno who came up with this but I'd never want to go out and spend money on black friday, it just sounds bad.
#24 of 30 Old 11-27-2006, 07:50 PM

We stayed at home and spent time together. It was great!

My DH and I do not do gifts for each other at Christmas-instead, we plan a trip together that we'll both enjoy. (Okay, so costs more than a gift would, but we'd take a vacation anyways.)

A few years ago, we got tired of trying to figure out the "perfect gift" for everyone. Then I read something about "functional gifts" or something like that...things people can use that don't take up space. So, if we don't have a particular gift in mind, family members get gift cards, certificates for things like massages, museum memberships that they'll enjoy, etc. This has worked out so well for our family and it is totally low stress. Plus, it has the added bonus of staying out of the crazy-crowded stores!

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
#25 of 30 Old 11-28-2006, 02:00 PM

we were away from home, with our families and those of us with small children went to the train store. It's really an independent toy store that specializes in model trains. I bought DS Christmas and birthday presents. They have the hugest selection of Melissa and Doug toys. It's really like an amusement park. We also picked out a doll for SIL to get DS for Christmas.

Amy at Stone Fence Farm
:
#26 of 30 Old 11-28-2006, 03:10 PM

I snuck out at 6:30 to buy DS a new scooter. His 3 wheeled "little kid" scooter is way too small and all he is asking for Christmas is a "big boy" scooter! I got a fantastic deal at Target. I quick picked it up and went through the express lane and got out of the store. People were going crazy for cheap DVD's.

I was back at my in-laws before breakfast. Then we spent the day playing outside with family. It was a lovely warm day in Wisconsin!

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
#27 of 30 Old 11-28-2006, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkimum View Post
I usually make it a point NOT to go shopping on 'black friday' but ended up popping into Joann Fabric to get stuff so I could occupy myself over the weekend since dh had to work.

BTW, doesn't black friday seem not the best name for a day you WANT people to go out shopping on? I mean, wasn't Black Tuesday the 'beginning' of the great depression? Seems like a bad idea to me, I dunno who came up with this but I'd never want to go out and spend money on black friday, it just sounds bad.
Black Friday is called such because it is the day that stores typicallt get into the "black" - IE, start finally making money instead of losing it for the year. Yes, most big stores go all year in the red until almost the end. THAT is why Christmas is so commercialized.

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#28 of 30 Old 11-28-2006, 03:56 PM

I came so close to buying a nice Kitchenaide mixer that I am still kicking myself over. It was normally $400 and it was on sale for $279.00 but I had a 10% off coupon and if I put it on my Herb's card I could have saved another 10%. It was in my hand but I waivered, thats just so much money. Still i think of all the times I could have been using it this week alone with baking coming up.
#29 of 30 Old 11-29-2006, 01:48 AM

I shopped for my fin
#30 of 30 Old 11-29-2006, 05:07 AM

I totally sold out- went to the mall- bought bras (not Victorias secret- JCPenneys had this buy 2 get 2 free so my mom and I split them!) and lipstick at Aveda.

Totally wanted to stay home and do something non-consumerish.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page