Compacting Mommas Winter Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 237 Old 12-27-2006, 11:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a question. Since you are doing this.... how much LESS money are you spending? Have you kept track or noticed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 237 Old 12-29-2006, 02:48 AM

The "Compacting Mommas" thread caught my eye. Can someone explain to me more about it or link me to another thread that does?

Thanks.
Pam
#63 of 237 Old 12-29-2006, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaPam View Post
The "Compacting Mommas" thread caught my eye. Can someone explain to me more about it or link me to another thread that does?
Here is the original thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=533639
#64 of 237 Old 12-29-2006, 10:39 AM

Ok, I did it! I took the pledge. Here is what mine looks like, it's obviously largely copied from others' pledges (thanks Delight and Chelee, among others):

December 25, 2006

In light of the destructive effects of personal greed, I pledge to curb my purchases, cease frivolous buying, and choose to simplify my life. Excepting only those things needed for work and the health and safety of my family, I pledge not to buy new. Further more, I will actively seek to pass on possessions I no longer want to those who are in need. In doing so, I hope to educate both friends and family about the corrosive effects of being in a constant state of want, nurture in myselves the uplifting state of giving, thus reducing the load on the environment and creating a more sensible path for my life. For these reasons, I join the Compact.

1.I will not buy any NEW manufactured items for one year.
2.I will only buy used items that I NEED.
3.I will not buy any convenience foods when grocery shopping with the exception of breads I can’t bake and chips. I will strive to eat in season, buying as local as possible. I will bring reusable grocery bags to the store, and I will create a weekly menu/grocery list every week.
4.I will not eat out (or eat take out) more than once per month.
5.I will encourage small local businesses.
6.No Making Sean Help Me Cheat.

EXCEPTIONS:
Printing of photos.
Art Supplies: Only if ALL PROJECTS ARE DONE and it must be bought for a specific project.
New footwear, must be a need, not a want.
WoW Expansion.

My Goals:
1.To gain perspective and learn contentment.
2.To be a mindful consumer and live lighter on the earth.
3.To become more patient and learn to plan ahead as I borrow, barter, buy used, re-use, and recycle.
4.To payoff debt.
#65 of 237 Old 12-29-2006, 10:45 AM

I had planned on starting on January 1st but really, there is no time like the present. That, and I hadn't bought anything since Christmas (possibly longer), it's also a nice date to remember.

The most important part of the pledge to me are the goals. They were eloquently written by someone else but they are absolutely perfect and really capture why I'm doing this.
#66 of 237 Old 12-30-2006, 12:54 AM

Hubby and I had a really great talk about this last night .... we both like the idea in theory and it goes along with our general movement toward downsizong our lives ... but we need to discuss our own terms/exceptions first

I'm subbing at any rate and hopefully woon't chicken out and will start with a compact new year!

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
2011:  a year to Make Do, Do Without, or Do It Ourselves 
#67 of 237 Old 01-01-2007, 11:50 PM

I'm working on crafting my compact tonight and had a question for y'all. Internet - obviously, ya'll still have it since you'r eposting here - so is that not considered a *want* For me, it would fall under allowable work expenses, since I run a business with a significant web presence, but I'm wondering if it wold be okay even without that work relation?

And, my other big question - my two biggest forms of entertainment are music (via a monthly subscription to napster) and audio books (via a subscription to audible) Now, are these things I should eliminate as part of the compact? I'm thinking no, because they are not *things* in that they are digital goods, so there's no real footprint on the earth, yk? But then I think that I'm probably just trying to justify continuining them, LOL!
#68 of 237 Old 01-02-2007, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittin' in the Shade View Post
I'm working on crafting my compact tonight and had a question for y'all. Internet - obviously, ya'll still have it since you'r eposting here - so is that not considered a *want* For me, it would fall under allowable work expenses, since I run a business with a significant web presence, but I'm wondering if it wold be okay even without that work relation?

And, my other big question - my two biggest forms of entertainment are music (via a monthly subscription to napster) and audio books (via a subscription to audible) Now, are these things I should eliminate as part of the compact? I'm thinking no, because they are not *things* in that they are digital goods, so there's no real footprint on the earth, yk? But then I think that I'm probably just trying to justify continuining them, LOL!
Hi Theresa-
You're correct that all these things- internet and any type of digital downloads- are okay according to the compact since they're services, not goods. (Yeah! That means I can keep buying your patterns too )
#69 of 237 Old 01-02-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khkelsey View Post
Hi Theresa-
You're correct that all these things- internet and any type of digital downloads- are okay according to the compact since they're services, not goods. (Yeah! That means I can keep buying your patterns too )
woo-hoo! I can give up just about anything but my books (to listen to while knitting, LOL!) and my music
#70 of 237 Old 01-02-2007, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

nak

Happy New Year compacting mammas!!!

I officially started compacting for the full year. Dh is happy, as he's convinced we eat better and spend less when I'm compacting (duh). I even have a friend who is considering it for her and her daughter. I am curently starting a no sugar/eating healthier diet, and am having some frustrations with vegetarian cooking. There is a locally owned small used bookstore here, and I was thinking of trying to find any of the Moosewood cook books. Anyone have a favorite? I heard Mushroom Forrest was a good one as well. I bought to much champagne from Costco for a thing we had at our house new years eve, and will use the return money to buy them used. Shoot, now I'm wondering if it's still okay.

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#71 of 237 Old 01-02-2007, 04:50 PM

I have been falling the compacting threads. It is a way we normally live but have not made a "compact" yet.

bendmom, my favorite Moosewood cookbook is the low-fat one. We have dairy sensitivities and soy allergies in our household and this one seems to work best for us.
#72 of 237 Old 01-02-2007, 07:50 PM

Subbing, mamas!

so many roads to ease my soul...

#73 of 237 Old 01-02-2007, 08:03 PM

I have a question for the compactors...how do you deal with your second hand "finds" not being exactly what you were looking for?

This weekend we were out second hand shopping and I found a spring dress coat that fit well but it didn't have a belt (nor was it designed to have one) which would have made it much more flattering for my figure. I have kinda been beating myself up over passing it by as I have been telling myself that I was too picky and that if I want to commit to compact I have to sacrifice. What is your take?
#74 of 237 Old 01-02-2007, 09:26 PM

I would say- really look at what you NEED to live- trust me- this is a huge struggle for me as I am the type who likes to have a new outfit for every special occasion. The wants will fade- and great finds will come to you. I think it's karma.
#75 of 237 Old 01-02-2007, 09:48 PM

I am a believer in visualizing. It works really well for me when I go thrifting. Sometimes I can't believe that I found exactly what I was looking for (brand new leather topped Sorel snow boots for Tony, for example). Keep dreaming of the perfect coat, she'll find you!

#76 of 237 Old 01-04-2007, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamama View Post
I am a believer in visualizing. It works really well for me when I go thrifting.
Me too! If there is something I would like, or need, but not so bad that I don't need to run right out and get it, I give it some time. I hit the consign shops, and Goodwill. Usually I find it right away, but alot of times there has been something I would love to have, can't find it used, and then low and behold a friend will tell me about thing she is getting rid off, and it's exactly what I was looking for!

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#77 of 237 Old 01-04-2007, 03:23 PM

It took me a few days to read through the original thread but I made it. I am mainly a reader here, but I am really interested in this. I don't think I am ready to commit to a year yet but I am going to take it one day at a time for now. Today, I went to the thrift store and found 4 gifts for my dd upcoming b-day (28th) Total $3.35 (I also found 2 books for me that I will really enjoy). I didn't even LOOK at the clothes, that is big for me I will check back until then for wrapping paper, decor etc. At another thrift store I found the perfect bag to carry my camcorder and digital camera, etc. I have been wanting one for awhile. It is much nicer than the ones I've seen at reg stores and was only $2.

Kelly,newly single mom of four wonderful children.

#78 of 237 Old 01-04-2007, 04:17 PM

This is the first I've heard of this - and I LOVE the idea... Went to the Yahoo group to sign up. And just wanted to say a hello to all of you here!

Looking forward to sharing the journey with you!
#79 of 237 Old 01-05-2007, 06:00 PM

I was already doing this for January. Will run it by dh to get us in agreement for the year.

PM
#80 of 237 Old 01-06-2007, 04:25 AM

I have been working towards being a conscienscios consumer for a long time , but I only just heard of compacting ! I love the idea and made a Compact with a friend of mine today.
Ours is going to be fairly liberal, we are going to have one jubilee day each season, I have to buy new fabric and sling rings for my little bussiness and there are no food restrictions, eating out etc. Anything new we "think" we need, we have to phone consult each other first to brainstorm for alternates and then get the thumbs up or down on the purchase from each other.
I am so excited to do this, and even more excited to fin this group on mothering, I kind of felt like seeing I wasn't doing it excactly that I couldn't join the yahoo group!
I'll keep you all posted on my progress!
Thanks to you all for being kind to this mother earth, especially on behalf of my beloved children,
Their future is depending on us!
#81 of 237 Old 01-06-2007, 06:56 AM

Okay, I've been hanging out in this forum for some time now and getting some really great ideas for simplifying my life but then I read Delights blog and now I am really hooked and want to make a pledge to become a "legit" compacting mama. Only I don't know if I qualify...

1. Does DH have to participate and pledge? I don't think he would do it.
2. Can you make some things exempt? Like buying shoes? I don't have a shoe addiction or anything, but I really prefer to buy new when it comes to shoes.

Are their any guidelines printed somewhere?

Zachary (Jan. 16, 05), Blossom (Sept. 14, 08)
::
#82 of 237 Old 01-06-2007, 10:18 AM

I think making execptions at the start for whatever you forsee is a-okay. I've made shoe exceptions myself, because my guys have bizaree feet and they have to have new shoes (they need the arch support big time, LOL!) Also, any work-related expenses are exempt (like your fabric)
#83 of 237 Old 01-06-2007, 08:46 PM

I have only been Compacting for a week, and already I feel so much better! We live in a smallish house, and I think I have been in denial of that since we moved in. We simply don't have enough space to keep all of our stuff and still maintain a peaceful home! Out it goes! I feel like I can breathe a little better and like I have more energy. It's making me think about my consumption altogether and its impact on the Earth and the economy. I am really thinking about going vegan again....

#84 of 237 Old 01-06-2007, 09:36 PM

Well, I haven't bought anything this year. We have gone out to eat, but no chain restaurants. I'm okay with going out to eat to support local businesses, plus, our kitchen is ripped out to the studs for remodelling - only the fridge is plugged in - and cooking is pretty difficult. We're having permit issues and I don't know when the kitchen, currently swathed in huge sheets of saran wrap in DS's bedroom, will be installed.

I just read the Omnivore's Dilemna and am buying a quarter of a grass-fed cow. I'm also setting up a local pastured chicken and egg co-op for my church from a local farmer. (I am not buying any meat that I don't know to be raised humanely, and am ordering vegetarian in restaurants.) I will be buying a freezer to hold it all, so I've started looking at used ones on Craigslist.
#85 of 237 Old 01-08-2007, 01:32 PM

It's been 3 full weeks for me and so far so good. I haven't even been tempted to buy anything new. How is everyone else doing?
#86 of 237 Old 01-08-2007, 06:54 PM

So far, so good ... :

but, wow! I have been really tempted to buy things I don't need ... I can tell that this is really going to have to require some real inner work on my part because there is a part of me that feels like I just "need" so shop, you know? I've had to talk myself out of it almost every day ...

However, today in the grocery store I made a small list, went only to the part of the store I needed to be, and then got out of there before temptation could strike.

We're decluttering and giving away a lot, too and that sorta helps - like why bring in more when we're working so hard to downsize, you know?

Best Wishes!

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
2011:  a year to Make Do, Do Without, or Do It Ourselves 
#87 of 237 Old 01-08-2007, 08:40 PM

Ok- I've hit a bump- dh needs new Polo shirts for work. His old ones are stretched out and have deoderant stains.

When I've gone to the thrift stores, the polo's Ive found are stretched out with deo. stains also! He needs to look decent at work since he's a supervisor. Please encourage me to hold out. eBay even seems devoid of used polos right now too, at least not in his size.

I thought about posting an ISO for them- but thats not appropriate on here, or is it? We should start a compacting mams swap forum! I need other things like a silicone spatua, bathroom rugs, etc. Freecycle doesnt seem to have much of that stuff. Am I missing any resources?
#88 of 237 Old 01-09-2007, 12:18 AM

still doing good here! Staying home has helped lol

Kelly,newly single mom of four wonderful children.

#89 of 237 Old 01-09-2007, 03:39 AM

Hi, I am wondering what to do about stuff like light bulbs and printer cartriges, I know it is a bizare thing to worry about, but can you get those recycled or do you have to buy new?
My friend gave me a great tip, at the recyling centre at our town university they have free school supplies that people throw out, binders, notebooks pencils etc, I am so going there , how cool is that!
#90 of 237 Old 01-09-2007, 10:52 AM

I've wished for an ISO/swap forum here, too...does the Trading Post currently meet that need, or not? I have specific household items I'd love to post and specific needs and I'm afraid that they'll get lost in the general TP forums.

Hi - sorry, I haven't introduced myself. I'm Amanda, and I've read and reread this thread enough times that it has changed my thinking and I think I'm actually on board now.

Though I think my own personal caveat is this: If we need something, really need it, within a specific time frame that is looming, and we've gone to great effort to try and find it used, it's okay to make occasional exceptions (I hope it's okay for me to say that!).

Maybe that wouldn't work for everyone, but reading about the poster whose DH needs decent work shirts (though aren't work expenses exempt anyway?) got me thinking that once in awhile it can be reasonable to make an exception even if you didn't think of it beforehand.

My avowed hierarchy of obtaining is:

1) acquire for free if possible
2) trade or barter
3) make do without if we can
4) buy used

and only if I've tried all those options with no success:

5) buy locally-made
6) buy locally-sold though not locally-made

and then if I really cannot find something I need locally:

7) consider buying new through a source that is respectable and high-quality.

Certain articles of kids' clothing have been very difficult for me to find used (sweatpants, for one, and also pajamas and slippers) and the local options are not always acceptable or durable enough or available in the season I need them. I do plan to talk with local merchants about the products I need but cannot get locally. It's not perfect, but if I give myself this wiggle room I think it will keep me on track with compacting better than if I start out with very rigid rules and feel like throwing in the towel if I can't manage to meet them.

This is not at all a criticism of what any of you are doing - please don't take it that way! - It's just me trying to make this work for me given what I know about myself and my personality. :

I'm very excited to be on board. It took me a few weeks, but I am here. Compacting dovetails nicely with my efforts toward decluttering and frugality. Thanks to all who are carrying this torch so that people like me can see it and join in!

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page