Compacting Mommas Winter Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 237 Old 01-24-2007, 02:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is this a thread about compacting to save more space or compacting to get rid of things? One of the things I'm post proud of this week is that I got rid of all of our CD jewel cases and put them in a CD folder instead. It has freed up so much space on a bookshelf that we are now able to use for more...crap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 237 Old 01-24-2007, 02:14 AM

One more thing is that I decided not to renew 2 magazine subscriptions and instead buy a membership to the science center.
#123 of 237 Old 01-24-2007, 02:19 AM

I'm in. working on my pledge this week.

I'm excited to join you all! Kara is my inspiration too.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#124 of 237 Old 01-24-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanibell View Post
Is this a thread about compacting to save more space or compacting to get rid of things? One of the things I'm post proud of this week is that I got rid of all of our CD jewel cases and put them in a CD folder instead. It has freed up so much space on a bookshelf that we are now able to use for more...crap
Chanibell, it's a thread about not buying anything new for a year.
#125 of 237 Old 01-29-2007, 04:07 PM

quiet in here! tell me some successes as i get this rolling!

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#126 of 237 Old 01-29-2007, 04:19 PM

Great success at Goodwill this week-2 pairs of dress pants for me, two dress shirt for DH (with the tags still on them!) for $8.25! Woo Hoo!
#127 of 237 Old 01-29-2007, 04:21 PM

It's been 5 full weeks and I haven't even wanted to buy anything.

However, on Saturday my MIL arrives at our house with a Reitman's bag saying: " Here, since you're not buying anything this year, I got you something! " Sigh. I told her that it beyond the point but thanked her for thinking of me.

She just doesn't get that I'm not feeling any deprivation or anything. I had never noticed before but she mostly talks about stuff she's has bought or wants to buy. I find it pretty depressing.
#128 of 237 Old 01-29-2007, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaL View Post
Subbing because we are there....thanks Kara!

Will read more later....onward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama View Post
I'm in. working on my pledge this week.

I'm excited to join you all! Kara is my inspiration too.

awwwwww, thanks ladies! (for once it is nice to be a good influence) Great to see you both here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malva View Post
It's been 5 full weeks and I haven't even wanted to buy anything.
wow! That rocks!

Me? It seems like every single day I've had to talk myself out of something, especially for the kids. I seem to have this shopping addicition: I get bored, I want to shop. I'm sad, I want to shop. I'm depressed, I want to shop. : I have made it 29 days though, so that is actually starting to become part of the motivation - like I don't want to break my streak

Ironically, we ran into another family while dropping things off at the Goodwill store over the weekend and they were both like, "wow, that's so cool for you guys" about reading on the blog about our Compacting, but then they also said "we could NEVER do that" and it was almost with the inflection that we were doing something insane or something, you know? Like the very *idea* of not buying brand new off the rack was just crazy. I mean, you wash a shirt once and it is "used" right? So, I guess I just see it as all new items are one use or wearing away from "used" (or, at least, that is how I'm working very hard to *try* and see it ...)

I've still got only 466 of my goal of 500 items decluttered and downsized for the month ... but perhaps I'll tackle the kitchen cupboards this evening after the kiddos go to bed? We have so much we aren't using and it seems so wasteful to be storing it and having it take up space in our lives when I know that someone else out there could be using it. Ykwim?

Okay, Compacting folks! I'm off ... best wishes!

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
2011:  a year to Make Do, Do Without, or Do It Ourselves 
#129 of 237 Old 01-29-2007, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwen's mom View Post
Great success at Goodwill this week-2 pairs of dress pants for me, two dress shirt for DH (with the tags still on them!) for $8.25! Woo Hoo!
Yes! Gotta love that!

This isn't *my* find, but a friend IRL recently found her daughter's 1st grade homeschool curriculum at Goodwill - I guess a whole set of abeka books that would usually be around $160 and my friend got them for like $8. She said with a deal that good she can afford to donate the set after they are done with them next year, too in order to keep passing along the good Compacting Karma

My best find recently has been a play silk from dye pot & shuttles, new with the tags on it and everything for 99cents at Goodwill. I have acutally made a list of things I'm looking for and it is funny, but I have got a few items checked off of it already and I haven't even been going to the thrift store regularly and it isn't even garage sale season yet

(sorry about the double posting! Guess I'm extra chatty today)

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
#130 of 237 Old 01-29-2007, 07:15 PM

Did I fall off the wagon?

There was a huge inventory sale at a locally owned store this weekend. My kids have been making do with worn cotton socks for years. Their feet were cold last week when they went skating with friends, and my friend took pity and lent them some Smartwool socks. I bought each kid two pairs new at the sale - figured I would never find them used. I also bought myself a pair of super fleece gloves to temporarily replace the awesome gloves I lost earlier this winter (after wearing them for 3+ years without losing them). It didn't occur to me until afterward to look for some used, though earlier I had glanced at some used mittens at the thrift shop that were not at all what I needed. It's been in the single digits and I really think I need decent gloves (but I'm second-guessing myself for some reason - argh!).

Also I visited the locally-cooperatively-owned hardware store and bought parts for my canner - it's no good without the parts - but it isn't canning season yet. I just wanted to get it done when I had the money. Though it was fixing something used, not buying new. And I bought a small "wool duster" which I have been wanting for ages and have never seen used. I absolutely LOVE it and I'm so thrilled to have it - my room corners are cobweb-free for the first time ever. My broom just didn't do the job right. Now I feel like it was maybe uncompactish to buy it, but... ??? I should have tried to get one on the TP instead. And I bought a bunch of compact fluorescent bulbs, but bulbs are consumables so I'm thinking they are acceptable. ???

Live and learn. I guess I don't regret the socks purchase, or the canning supplies, or the bulbs...the duster was pretty iffy though. And I am not sure about the gloves as I could have made do with my old mittens, but they are not really warm enough and I've never had good luck finding gloves I like at thrift shops, but I could have tried harder.

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#131 of 237 Old 01-29-2007, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnittingKara View Post
Like the very *idea* of not buying brand new off the rack was just crazy. I mean, you wash a shirt once and it is "used" right? So, I guess I just see it as all new items are one use or wearing away from "used" (or, at least, that is how I'm working very hard to *try* and see it ...)
Yes, it's funny how many people I know think we're insane for this, wether they say it or not, I can't imagine my MIL every buying used, although she is a great sale shopper.

I'll share my success... well first we bought a used Prius yesterday We've been looking and looking for a used car since ours was smashed in october, and finally settled on a prius. Ooooooh it's great to drive. I just feeeel like the air is cleaner. Adina is my inspiration on that one : hybrid drivers unite!
SO... after we picked it up, I had to return some stuff to BRU (and now have $50 in credit there... safety items I guess?) and needed some office supplies. So... headed to Office Depot, when I spotted a Value Village (thrift store)... lo and behold, I found just what I needed for less than 1/3 the cost, AAAAND i found a little bead slidy toy thing that I have been coveting of Adina's ... and it was only $2. Woohoo!!! Of course Ruby LOVED the bead toy, which made me super happy.

Today I inventoried my freezer, and dumped some stuff that I have no idea how old it was. That felt great. Next the fridge and pantry. Then... I'm moving to my closet.

I : this thread. such great inspiration!

Oh, and I'm compacting more in the office... I'm re-using old patient files, instead of buying new feels great!

#132 of 237 Old 01-29-2007, 07:34 PM

Amanda, I'm thinking about this not just as not buying anything new but really THINKING about purchases and only buying new when i NEED to. you know? another important thing for me is where it's made. you're still on the wagon. hang on!!

#133 of 237 Old 01-29-2007, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Nice score on the toy K!

I find myself wanting to buy things all the time. It has been a daily conversation with myself to not buy anything.

The last new thing I bought was the day I put my contract on my blog, and it was a baby food grinder. I thought that was a nice way to end the new purchases. Buying something that will help me make homemade baby food, and stop buying jarred.

The only thing I am having a tough time with is food. Eating out is my biggest problem. We did eat out twice this weekend, both very cheap, and both due to unforeseen circumstances. And I : grabbed fast food on the way home from work today. I am thinking that as a motivator, I am going to take the $$ I would usually spend on food out during the day and put it in my CSA fund. Then it is going somewhere good, and I am making progess, instead of eating french fries.

Decluttering is going a bit slower. But I am going to start today - with unpacked boxes. Most of which I haven't looked inside of in about a year.

Should be easy to declutter!

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#134 of 237 Old 01-29-2007, 07:58 PM

I am thinking of doing a compact where I will try for at least a period of time like a month to find something used before considering buying it new. Is there anyone doing something like that? I do like the idea of buying only used, but I don't feel I can really buy nothing new and I'd rather construct a compact I can reasonably achieve rather than breaking it when I feel like it. Does anyone have a compact with this kind of clause? What do you think?

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#135 of 237 Old 01-29-2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama View Post
I'll share my success... well first we bought a used Prius yesterday We've been looking and looking for a used car since ours was smashed in october, and finally settled on a prius. Ooooooh it's great to drive. I just feeeel like the air is cleaner. Adina is my inspiration on that one : hybrid drivers unite!
That's awesome! I want a Prius so badly, DH would prefer a diesel because he wants to learn to make biodiesel. We were thinking of buying our friend's 2004 Prius, but want to wait until we have more $$ saved up.

Nice purchase!

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
#136 of 237 Old 01-29-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymoo View Post
I am thinking of doing a compact where I will try for at least a period of time like a month to find something used before considering buying it new. Is there anyone doing something like that? I do like the idea of buying only used, but I don't feel I can really buy nothing new and I'd rather construct a compact I can reasonably achieve rather than breaking it when I feel like it. Does anyone have a compact with this kind of clause? What do you think?
I think that some people are choosing only to compact for a month, three months or whatever.

We're going for the whole year, and here's the secret: IT'S NOT THAT HARD! The first month-6 weeks was the hardest. I had to keep reminding myself about the Compact.

When you get used to not buying new, it goes really well.

For myself, I'd be concerned about making such a short commitment. I know I'd be saying to myself, "Well ... I'll just hold of for a month, and then I'll buy new." Making the commitment to not buy new for a longer period forces me to find other solutions. As with anything YMMV.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
#137 of 237 Old 01-29-2007, 10:10 PM

subbing.
#138 of 237 Old 01-30-2007, 05:16 AM

I haven't signed up on this thread, because I didn't want to write about how long it had been and then want to shop. I haven't bought anything new, except groceries, since the new year. Honestly, I haven't even wanted anything new. DH bought a new book today from Borders, but he's not really compacting. Also, it's for a job (although they won't pay for it). I guess that's better than nothing.
#139 of 237 Old 01-30-2007, 11:27 AM

Dh and I are definitely in a decluttering mode, and compacting will aid that. I'm going to think some more about what kind of compact I can realistically make... I'm willing to get just about everything used except shoes. So more later. (Actually, I guess it would be "less later" )
#140 of 237 Old 01-30-2007, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post
here's the secret: IT'S NOT THAT HARD! The first month-6 weeks was the hardest. I had to keep reminding myself about the Compact.
Whew! good to know! I've really been struggling this first month (DH, on the other hand seems to be having no troubles) but it is nice to know that it will get easier ... I just have to remind myself about patience and not needing every thing "now"

Also, I am noticing that I am looking at the things we already own with more of an eye for re-purposing. For instance, the hammer is missing from a thrifted pound-a-peg set we bought. But, you know, one of those round blocks and a dowell rod would probably make a nice new hammer for it, eh?

#141 of 237 Old 01-31-2007, 04:28 AM

I need this thread! I'm not quite ready to commit, I'd love to see the "rules" or guideline! Where would I find those? This looks awesome though!

Mama to Clara 5/2/06, & Anna 11/4/08 and wife to Dan 6/8/02
#142 of 237 Old 01-31-2007, 12:07 PM

Hello Mamas!
Greetings from the redwoods of Northern California!
This is my first real post here at MDC although I've been lurking for quite a while!

I've been compacting for several weeks now and doing well so far.
I'm not a huge "shopper" and pretty frugal overall, but my history in the past has been to be very disciplined and motivated for a while and then to blow it on a "binge" type shopping trip. One of the reasons for this, is the way money ebbs and flows with my business. I'm a WAHM and things are usually feast or famine around here.

By necessity, I can pinch a penny till it screams when times are lean, but then when I am doing well, I kind of let things all go crazy. That is one of the things I want to work on... conscious and responsible spending when times are abundant.

I haven't said anything to my family about the Compact so far. I'm just trying to walk the walk for a while to see what happens with them. I do believe that I need to be the one to lead the way with my brood. If things are going to change with them, they will have to change with me first.

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you folks here!
-Christine
#143 of 237 Old 01-31-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxMominCT View Post
I need this thread! I'm not quite ready to commit, I'd love to see the "rules" or guideline! Where would I find those? This looks awesome though!
Only two "rules" for the compact:

#1 Don't buy new products of any kind (from stores, web sites, etc.)
#2 Borrow, barter, or buy used.

All the other "rules" that individuals follow (i.e. not eating out, not buying fast food, new items with some exceptions) are personal choices and not the basic principles of compacting that everyone follows.

Here's my pledge. It's all very personal, I think.

#144 of 237 Old 01-31-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnittingKara View Post
Also, I am noticing that I am looking at the things we already own with more of an eye for re-purposing. For instance, the hammer is missing from a thrifted pound-a-peg set we bought. But, you know, one of those round blocks and a dowell rod would probably make a nice new hammer for it, eh?
I think that's one of the best parts of compacting: seeing things with a new eye and repurposing.

#145 of 237 Old 01-31-2007, 07:26 PM

who bought socks for the kids?

I chalk that up for the things that you wouldn't predict your kids would need but will seriously enhance their lives. You live in VT for pete's sake!! Plus my experience tells me that finding used socks for kids is not an easy deal, finding used socks for kids made from wool even harder (I've been looking for sometime).

Myself I'm just lurking here, not actually compacting, mostly thinking about jumping into it. I AM reading along and getting lots of good ideas and am trying to think used/fix it before purchasing new.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#146 of 237 Old 01-31-2007, 09:11 PM

okay so I still haven't made pledge/commiment, BUT today I scratched 3 things off of my shopping list because I found either a) the item I needed or b) a substitute that will work just fine! I think after I get through with my shopping for this week, I'm going to go ahead and make a commiment. There are a few things I've been planning on for a while, so I don't want to make a commiment and then get that stuff!

Mama to Clara 5/2/06, & Anna 11/4/08 and wife to Dan 6/8/02
#147 of 237 Old 02-01-2007, 01:21 PM

So I'm thinking about what kind of compact I can make... and I have a few questions.

Do you guys give yourselves exceptions? Eg, I'm really low on underwear, and I will need some more within a few months. Ds2 is on the verge of potty-training, and he will need some more underwear, too (he has a couple pair handed down from ds1, but his heinie is smaller than ds1's was, apparently). I have foot problems that I have to stay on top of, and when I do, I can walk for exercise/errands/etc (we only have 1 car, too), and honestly, I need to be able to buy shoes. But I can squeeze our green/frugal/non-consuming ways even more on other stuff...

And we're negotiating to install solar on our house. Does that count?
#148 of 237 Old 02-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Here's mine:

http://adina-l.livejournal.com/2007/01/22/
It is the second post....you have to scroll down.

I did give myself exceptions. Undergarments and shoes. And safety stuff - since we are babyproofing, and you can't always find that stuff used, and if you can it isn't always safe. So, yeah, we gave ourselves exceptions.

I am making an effort to find things used before even considering buying them new though. Unless it is underwear... That I can't do used. Personal preference really. And for us, we are far too hard on shoes to buy them used, plus we both have funny foot sizes, so I won't even try to find those used.

As for the solar - put in the exception for it since youa re already working on it. That way you can get a contract/pledge going and you wont' be breaking it in any way. So you don't start your year off with an "oh but, we need this." It is already part of the plan, and not a falling off the wgon moment. Small change, for sure, but intention is important. Better to write the contract so you succeed, than to excuse yourself a failure right off, you know?

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#149 of 237 Old 02-01-2007, 02:46 PM

I'm with Adina on underwear and shoes although I buy used dipes for my baby, i can't fathom putting on used underwear. Weird, eh?

I also am plannning on looking high and low for used (unless time is of the essence - which is rare). I am looking at it not as a contest to see who can buy less new stuff, but more as a way to be more conscious about how I spend money and where the stuffI buy comes from.

#150 of 237 Old 02-01-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKmama View Post
So I'm thinking about what kind of compact I can make... and I have a few questions.

Do you guys give yourselves exceptions? Eg, I'm really low on underwear, and I will need some more within a few months. Ds2 is on the verge of potty-training, and he will need some more underwear, too (he has a couple pair handed down from ds1, but his heinie is smaller than ds1's was, apparently). I have foot problems that I have to stay on top of, and when I do, I can walk for exercise/errands/etc (we only have 1 car, too), and honestly, I need to be able to buy shoes. But I can squeeze our green/frugal/non-consuming ways even more on other stuff...

And we're negotiating to install solar on our house. Does that count?
I think that most of us make an exception for underwear, consumables (batteries, toilet paper etc), health and safety items. In addition to that, many of us make personal exceptions. For instance, we opted to make the personal exception of buying a new snowboard for DH (all the used were unsafe), but that's it.

For me, I've bought a few pairs of used shoes and boots since I began the compact, so footwear hasn't been an issue though I can see it being a "health" exemption if you have foot problems, KWIM?

It's all very personal just as long as you keep to the basic principles.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page