Compacting Mommas Winter Thread - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 237 Old 02-13-2007, 11:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
KKmama - making a new diaper bag sounds like a great way to reuse those old skirts. I'm no help for pattern ideas, but would you want like a messenger style bag? Maybe you could search specific types of bags and come up with a pattern that way. Good luck! Post pics when you're done with it.
#182 of 237 Old 02-14-2007, 08:31 PM

Oh my! I need to get in on this Compacting thing. May I join?

Please forgive me for butting in!

Dh and I just miraculously found ourselves out of debt - literally tens of thousands of dollars of debt... gone.

We got in the hole because of my very contagious acquisition/shopping habit. Just when I reached bottom, and we almost couldn't afford food, I learned why I couldn't shop anymore... I finally realized that we weren't borrowing from banks, we were borrowing from our (and our children's) future.

Now, with this miracle, I'm restored and redeemed and have a second chance.

I'm actually not too bad about clutter - but I buy all the time, and just give away (sometimes I do sell things at a great loss) when I'm done with them. I have started buying all the kids' clothes 2nd hand and selling them when they outgrow them to get more, though.

Dh and I need to make a pledge... I'll revisit when we've figured it all out. Thank you mamas for intoducing me to this!
#183 of 237 Old 02-14-2007, 08:56 PM

I am wondering about thoughts on kids clothes. We currently have 2 girls, ages 4 and 2 so I have saved everything from oldest to youngest. We are undecided at this point if we will be having any more but it is possible so I have been boxing up everything from the youngest and putting the boxes in the basement. We almost always buy second hand so its not as if I have a lot tied up in these clothes but I am wondering if I should be passing the items that the little one has outgrown on or if it makes more sense to hold on to them? Just to give you an idea as to how much "stuff" I am talking about we have one 30 gallon tote for each clothing size (ie 1 tote for 3-6 months, 1 tote for 6-9 months etc). BTW I know this probably sounds like a lot of clothes to some but we do not have our own washer and dryer so we only get to do laundry about once per week.
#184 of 237 Old 02-14-2007, 09:16 PM

KK-there's always lots of "boutique" handmade diaper bags on ebay. You could try looking there for inspiration. You won't even have to use gas.
#185 of 237 Old 02-14-2007, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKmama View Post
Any suggestions? Any patterns?
I used to make 'boutique' diaper bags from amy butler fabric. They were basically a rectangle with a variety of coordinating fabric. The closure was a flap that was actually a pouch for your wallet, etc.

You don't need a pattern, just draw a crude 3-D image of your bag you want, and decide on measurements. Sew together, voila! New bag!

I think I have Amy Butler's rural messenger bag pattern lying around somewhere (I guess I need to de-clutter my pattern stash!). If I find it, I can send it to you if you like!
#186 of 237 Old 02-14-2007, 09:55 PM

OH! Amy Butler now has this pattern free, as well as many others. I modified it a bit and it worked well as a diaper bag pattern.

http://www.amybutlerdesign.com/produ...es.php?upd=msg
#187 of 237 Old 02-14-2007, 11:57 PM

subbing
#188 of 237 Old 02-15-2007, 01:05 PM

Thanks for the tips on the bag.

I had another good idea this morning... I decluttered stuffed animals yesterday, and I realized (as I woke up) that I could convert a few of them into puppets (rip their butts, gut them, bind the edges, voila! ). We could actually use a few puppets, and they're more fun to play with than stuffed animals, anyway.
#189 of 237 Old 02-15-2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:

I had another good idea this morning... I decluttered stuffed animals yesterday, and I realized (as I woke up) that I could convert a few of them into puppets (rip their butts, gut them, bind the edges, voila! ). We could actually use a few puppets, and they're more fun to play with than stuffed animals, anyway.

Oh My....that is such a GREAT idea.....who would of known???
#190 of 237 Old 02-15-2007, 06:44 PM

I went through the kids clothing....each piece. Checked for holes, stains, etc...weeded out everything that has to go. Donated it.
I went through my closet.... OMG....I am such a pack rat. This one will take an entire day. (I think)

Pantry is done!
#191 of 237 Old 02-23-2007, 12:10 PM

Hi there!! I am enjoying this thread. THinking about doing this starting March 1st. DH lost his job early January due to his dept shipped to India. He is in the TAA program and going back to school ( for the 3rd time LOL). He has a severance package that runs out in May, so right now it seems like we have more $ becuase of unemployment, and severance does not take social security & medicare out. I went back to work in July mostly becuase we knew he was losing his job, but I have worked on & off since my youngest was 18months. I am hoping this helps simplify my life a little bit too- I have always been pretty good about consumerism etc, but when I went back to work I needed quite a few things, plus I spent some $ on makeup & nails polish collecting that I need to cut back on. ANy tips for writing my compact?
#192 of 237 Old 02-28-2007, 06:01 PM

Did I kill the thread?
#193 of 237 Old 03-01-2007, 12:04 AM

maybe it's getting too long and we need to start a new thread?
#194 of 237 Old 03-01-2007, 12:24 AM

Im here!

Heres a question...should we buy a toaster used?
#195 of 237 Old 03-01-2007, 01:03 AM

Why not buy a used toaster? concerned about cleaning it? Hmmmmm. thats a good question. Would I buy a used toaster? From someone I know maybe

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#196 of 237 Old 03-01-2007, 10:55 AM

I would buy a used toaster without a problem. Just clean it. It's only bread crumbs.
#197 of 237 Old 03-01-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlazx2 View Post
ANy tips for writing my compact?
I think a lot of us have our compact contracts in our blogs. Here's mine! I probably should edit mine because an exception was stuff for graduate school, but I have since decided to not do that at this time in my life (too much else going on!). Hope that helps give you some ideas!
#198 of 237 Old 03-01-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmaze View Post
Im here!

I would. We're looking for a (used) toaster oven so we can get rid of our toaster and microwave.
#199 of 237 Old 03-04-2007, 12:05 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been reading some blogs & really enjoying them. Im thinking of starting my own to document my journey now too.
#200 of 237 Old 03-04-2007, 03:38 PM

I'm not concerned about dirt or crumbs...I guess I'm just wondering if I'll be able to find one. I've been perusing the Thrift Stores for a few weeks and havent seen anyhting except a toaster oven. I got to thinking...why does someone get rid of a toaster? Probably because it doesnt work.

I've found several broken ones! But I've already got one of those!

Well- it still toasts- but it doesnt time right- and the lever wont stick down to hold the bread in anymore.

We'll keep making it work!
#201 of 237 Old 03-04-2007, 04:02 PM

I honestly think a toaster oven is a better object. Bagels won't get stuck, you can heat up food (instead of the micro), you can get more uses from an oven

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#202 of 237 Old 03-04-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I got to thinking...why does someone get rid of a toaster? Probably because it doesnt work.
we gave our old toaster that worked fine to freinds when we were given a toaster oven. There must be other people out there who are upgrading and have used but working ones to give away. Just last week I saw a brand new(? -- some parts still wrapped in plastic) toaster oven at the thrift store. So they are out there sometimes.
#203 of 237 Old 03-04-2007, 07:19 PM

I've gotten rid of a couple toasters in perfect condition since being an adult. Once when I got a better one, a second when I got a toaster oven.
#204 of 237 Old 03-04-2007, 08:06 PM

I just wanted to introduce myself.

We bought our first home this past summer and it scares me how much "stuff" has already moved in. I honestly thought this stuff would make us happy- but i had a "lightbulb" moment when i realized that we were most happy when we were saving for our house- not buying anything if we could help it, and living in a tiny apartment with minimal stuff. now i see that most of these things we have invested our money in just fill space- it just doesn't enrich our lives!

DH and I are both off work right now, ande he is hoping to go to school after. We are clearing everything out we can, and are writing our personal "pledge" for how we will take this journey. My main goals are to save money, save the enviroment, and surround ourselves with things that we love and that enrich our lives.

My first step was to get rid of as many chemicals in my home as I could as I am converting to a natural body and home care regime to further focus on my goals. I posted all my chemical cleaners and all my bath stuff on freecycle and it's heading out the door tomorrow. I am also selling all of my sons plastic toys. I am trying to save enough money to buy him a set of locally made wooden playstands. Until then we are finding wonderful handmade wooden toys at thrift stores for him. He shouldn't have to sift through a tub of toys to find something. I want beautiful, wonderful toys for him that we can proudly display on a shelf in our living space, and will last for his little sisters as well.

My next challenge is going to be streamlining my kitchen... we have so much stuff. i want to get rid of all the plastic and extra "stuff"...

we have a long long way to go... i haven't peeked in our loft or basement for months... our closet is just stuffed.. and that is just the beginning. I am glad that I am starting this now having only lived here less than a year- in 5 years i just can't imagine how much worse things would be.

I will be reading for ideas and inspiration!
#205 of 237 Old 03-04-2007, 10:37 PM
QDB

Hi everybody -about the toaster....
we gave away our toaster oven recently and have just been using the broiler in the big oven

Just wanted to share...back to lurking!
#206 of 237 Old 03-04-2007, 11:29 PM

I was going to buy a used toaster, but I found a new one that helps my simplification efforts - it is both a typical toaster where you drop the toast into the top, as well as a toaster oven - you flip a switch and it interchanges between the two. I love things that kill 2 birds with 1 stone and save space. It was $40 though
#207 of 237 Old 03-05-2007, 03:21 AM

NOOOOOOOOO! I just finished reading the original compacting thread, only to find out there are 11 pages to read here! Sheesh! I'm never going to get anything done.

So, I'm skipping reading this thread, subbing now, and officially lurking until I can get the nerve to actually take the plunge.
#208 of 237 Old 03-05-2007, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the tips on the bag.

Hey, that's neat! Very creative.

Zachary (Jan. 16, 05), Blossom (Sept. 14, 08)
::
#209 of 237 Old 03-05-2007, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Im here!

I think used is fine as long as you really scrutinize/test it to make sure it does not have electrical problems. You might have better luck finding appliances in good condition through craigslist or a similar online classifieds system.

Zachary (Jan. 16, 05), Blossom (Sept. 14, 08)
::
#210 of 237 Old 03-23-2007, 12:57 PM

I need a compacting support group, so I thought you guys could be it, I have been compacting since the beginning of the year and am just now starting to , umm, how can I say it, CHEAT! I still have not bought anything for myself but when I really have the urge to buy something, I just buy something for the kids on the pretense that they shouldn't have to suffer becuase I am compacting, I know I could have made a bigger effort to buy the things I bought new, second hand, but I didn't I guess I just need that boost of compacting enthusiasm back,
Anyone out there going through the same thing,

OH yeah, AND just to top it off they are opening a H&m, My fav store EVER in Vegas where I live, not going there is going to be the hardest thing

HELP!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page