Compacting Mommas Winter Thread - Page 8 - Mothering Forums
First ... 6  7  8
Organize & Declutter > Compacting Mommas Winter Thread
SandyBeachBums's Avatar SandyBeachBums 04:18 PM 03-23-2007
We used old stuff animals to make those raccoon or whatever hats with the tail on the back. Do you know what I'm talking about? We were studying Davy Crockett and all that pioneer, tracking stuff. You need an animal with a good tail. Then you just cut out a long strip with the tail and piece together the hat with bits from that animal and the extras from another. They were so cute. I don't know where they are at or I would take a pic. I hate sewing machines, but I was able to do them by hand.

We hid them around the yard and then left tracking signs to find them. Then we "gutted" them and turned them into hats.

Waterbaby020805's Avatar Waterbaby020805 05:48 PM 03-26-2007
subbing, as I'm trying to be like this...but it's hard with a dh who likes to buy almost EVERYTHING new.
Malva's Avatar Malva 01:50 PM 04-11-2007
I bought my first new thing since I started compacting on December 25.

Ok, I just felt the need to confess.

My almost 2yo ds is crazy about bicycles and I knew he had to get a trike for his birthday. I looked for a used tricycle on all the online classifieds in my town for the last month. Nothing suitable came up. So we bought a new one. My dh isn't compacting so he just rationalized it as: "Well, I bought it, not you, so it's fine".

I'm not feeling too bad since I did try to find something used but still...
mommabear's Avatar mommabear 01:47 AM 04-14-2007
I'm new to compacting; can I lurk and learn? You're all so inspiring!
jlazx2's Avatar jlazx2 10:52 PM 06-03-2007
any updates?
chanibell's Avatar chanibell 03:34 AM 06-04-2007
lol
Well I am giving away a lot. I am donating a 5 disc CD player (almost extinct these days) to my friend's daughter for her fund raising trip to China. Plus a lot of toys that are still in their boxes,that you can find on Ebay anyways. Ok, I am still keeping my Spice Girl dolls though,but again, it feels so good to compact,although when I look around I don't see much progress.
Does anyone else feel that way,too?
Malva's Avatar Malva 01:54 PM 06-04-2007
I'm still compacting, the only new thing I've bought since last December is a tricycle for my ds. I looked for a suitable used one for a full month before his birthday and after not finding anything we liked, bought a new one.
marybethorama's Avatar marybethorama 02:39 PM 06-04-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanibell View Post
lol
it feels so good to compact,although when I look around I don't see much progress.
Does anyone else feel that way,too?
I haven't officially joined the thread but I'm reading.

I think it does take a while to see progress but one day you will look around and notice open and/or more ordered spaces in your home.
Panserbjorne's Avatar Panserbjorne 09:16 PM 06-04-2007
Joining. We are moving for the 8th time in 6 years. Compacting was made for me! You'd think I would've discovered it by now...

Is there a spring or summer thread?
jlazx2's Avatar jlazx2 12:25 PM 06-07-2007
No spring thread- Ive tried to bump the thread a few times. I came in late too- not sure if trying a new thread would help or not.
Serendipity's Avatar Serendipity 01:46 AM 06-11-2007
just wanted to say how inspiring this whole thing is. i've read a few pages but i can't read them all, is there a website specifically for this? i'm so intrigued and would love to learn more
Serendipity's Avatar Serendipity 04:08 PM 06-21-2007
nevermind, i found it.

i started a blog about all this, thanks again for the inspiration.
AngelBee's Avatar AngelBee 05:47 PM 07-15-2007
I would like to learn more too
jlazx2's Avatar jlazx2 12:01 AM 07-17-2007
Nobody has been here in a while Angelbee- I keep hoping they come back because I was interested late in the game.
Aguazul's Avatar Aguazul 02:55 PM 07-28-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlazx2 View Post
Nobody has been here in a while Angelbee- I keep hoping they come back because I was interested late in the game.
I was involved in the beginning and "fell of the wagon" so to speak. I am jumping back in full force. I'd love for people to join me if they want!
AngelBee's Avatar AngelBee 11:07 PM 07-29-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguazul View Post
I was involved in the beginning and "fell of the wagon" so to speak. I am jumping back in full force. I'd love for people to join me if they want!
I'll join you.
adinal's Avatar adinal 03:23 AM 07-30-2007
I'm still doing it...and having set backs and triumphs....

It has changed a lot of what i do in every day life, that's for sure.
chiromama's Avatar chiromama 03:42 AM 07-30-2007
I'm still doing some. It's changed how I look at what I buy, and has helped me see I didn't buy that much in the first place. Also when I do buy something new, I look a lot more at where it was made... and will spend more if I have to to buy something made locally/or in the USA.
AngelBee's Avatar AngelBee 12:54 PM 07-31-2007
Korin.....your daughter Ruby's first year video is adorable!!!
Aguazul's Avatar Aguazul 12:57 PM 07-31-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
I'll join you.
Great!!!!
jlazx2's Avatar jlazx2 02:22 PM 07-31-2007
I am planning on starting August 1st. I did a trial run back in March, but I need to do better. July was really bad though. My plan is to take back as much as I can today. I need to write a compact goal ( is that what it is called?) and write out my exceptions.
Aguazul's Avatar Aguazul 02:47 PM 07-31-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlazx2 View Post
I am planning on starting August 1st. I did a trial run back in March, but I need to do better. July was really bad though. My plan is to take back as much as I can today. I need to write a compact goal ( is that what it is called?) and write out my exceptions.
That is a great idea to take back what you're able to. What a great start!

I'm going to have to update my compact goals/exceptions as well. There are a few things that I need to get and, while I will try to buy used, I doubt I'll be able to. Accountability, for me at least, will be great to help keep me on track when I begin to waver.
MamaPam's Avatar MamaPam 04:28 PM 07-31-2007
I've been spending some time going back and reading the old threads. I have been considering compacting for a number of reasons. I know this thread is large and old. Do you think someone who is still doing this might be interested in starting a new thread?
VWChick's Avatar VWChick 04:34 PM 07-31-2007
Sure! I will start a new one if there is interest...

Also, for those of you just starting out, it's always great to join the BIG Compact Yahoo list... We have over 8000 members now!

Here is the link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thecompact/
Aguazul's Avatar Aguazul 04:47 PM 07-31-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWChick View Post
Sure! I will start a new one if there is interest...
Thank you!
jlazx2's Avatar jlazx2 05:05 PM 07-31-2007
chiromama's Avatar chiromama 05:10 PM 07-31-2007
Thanks Angelbee. I think so too now if only she'd nap
First ... 6  7  8

Up