New Year's Decluttering Challenge - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 121 Old 12-18-2006, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2babybeans View Post
My clutter is really getting annoying.. I just came across a $20 coupon that I could have used at a store where I bought ds's winter coat :
I need to keep better track of my stuff!!

Yeah, I'm right there with you. I just went through a bathroom cabinet (found 30 items for the trash! WTG!) and combined with what is in my refrigerator, I have like 8-10 bottles of kids tylenol, cough syrup, etc. Most of these are duplicates because when the kids get sick, I always think I'm out and that I need to buy new. I'm taking someone's idea (was it this thread...no, I think it was the "there is definately something wrong with me" thread) and getting plastic containers for all my bathroom supplies: "cold/flu" "kids illness" "homeopathics" etc. I swear I have 25 or 30 body lotions (all gifted to me---I'm really lazy about lotioning myself )

keep flinging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 121 Old 12-18-2006, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

The containers really help.. I organized our cupboard and went through all the medicines. I was amazed how many expired things we had! Not only were they taking up space, but I could have given one of those to the kids by mistake! :

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
#63 of 121 Old 12-18-2006, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and I love the 'keep flinging' motto

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
#64 of 121 Old 12-19-2006, 01:53 AM

previous total 295/500

7 more items sent to a MIN
7 photo frames I bought ages ago for a craft project I never did and never will given away on freecycle
1 worn out dish rag thrown away

310/500
#65 of 121 Old 12-19-2006, 02:29 PM

I think I'm a little late in starting but this is a great week for me to fling!! My goal is 150 before Christmas!! Eek...I better get moving! We keep things pretty cleaned out here but I'm confident that if I dig deep I can simplify even more!
#66 of 121 Old 12-19-2006, 05:46 PM

#67 of 121 Old 12-19-2006, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbandj View Post
I took my old broken laptop to PC Recycle, along with a cd burner we never use. Then went to VV (it's easiest for me to drop off, I don't know of any other better charity type donation places), and unloaded a whole vanful of stuff. Yay! We can actually use our living room now! Now if I can just go through the 3 plastic bins of pictures....
My pictures are a mess, too.. I started an album, but I have SO much more to do! :

#68 of 121 Old 12-19-2006, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Previous total: 175

Plus 85 toys (small things mostly )
some to the trash, some to Goodwill, and a few to a MIN.
Yeah! :

#69 of 121 Old 12-19-2006, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamablair View Post
I think I'm a little late in starting but this is a great week for me to fling!! My goal is 150 before Christmas!! Eek...I better get moving! ...

Don't worry, just make a beginning. I bet you're surprised how many things you can get rid of. I guarantee making your goal will be much easier than you think!

I'm off to declutter my pantry! OMG!!!: : : : : :
#70 of 121 Old 12-19-2006, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I think I'm a little late in starting but this is a great week for me to fling!! My goal is 150 before Christmas!! Eek...I better get moving! We keep things pretty cleaned out here but I'm confident that if I dig deep I can simplify even more!
You can do it!

#71 of 121 Old 12-19-2006, 08:26 PM

Woot! Woot!: I just flung 42 clothing items of DH and I. Everything from socks with holes to clothes I keep thinking I'll wear and haven't yet!! This is great!! And I thought I kept a pretty tight ship around here...wow! More to be done...I'm on a roll!
#72 of 121 Old 12-19-2006, 08:39 PM

previous 324/500
trashed/recycled/donated:
31 pieces assorted mismatched plastic food storage containers (btw I now have 20 assorted pieces with lids---this still seems like too much by half)
6 glass jars (pasta sauce, mason, mayonnaise)
30 assorted pesonal care items (from bathroom) lots of empty bottles, hotel sized stuff, used razor blades, etc., etc., etc.)

current 391/500

Next Targets:
finish pantry (spices, food, vases, odd plates, utensils)
finish bathroom (more personal care items)

goal before christmas: craft cabinet (I may need some hand holding)

Fling!Fling!Fling!
#73 of 121 Old 12-20-2006, 02:52 AM

I have three specific areas in mind~
~My childrens toys need to be thinned out and organised.
...Most have a place to go but some don't.
...some just don't get played with
...Cupboard in the hall between our bedrooms must be cleaned out and used for board/card games
~Paper! Every time I clean I throw papers that need to be kept (or papers I don't feel like sorting at the time) in boxes and I have way to many boxes! So declutter and organise my paper mess.
...I have a fileing cabinet, it's high time I start using it again.
...put and keep a trash can next to my computer desk
~Laundry; in the past couple months I have tossed five bags of wrong size, worn out, un-used clothing. I need to keep going because we still have to much!
...it's overwhelming sometimes so for now I just keep washing and sorting so I have less of it to deal with.
...need some nice laundry hampers for our bedrooms

So I will put a box for books and other items as well as bag for clothing by my porch door and throw five items in each every day. I will take a little bit out of each paycheck until I have enough to get the hampers I want for each bedroom.

:
#74 of 121 Old 12-20-2006, 08:11 PM

I spent some time downsizing my closet and got rid of clothes that I don't even remember wearing. Will be donating 13 more items and got rid of a splitting wooden spoon. so now I'm at 31/100
#75 of 121 Old 12-20-2006, 08:51 PM

I'm starting late....but here I go! I have tons of stuff to get rid of and now that the nausea has lifted I'm ready to get started!
#76 of 121 Old 12-21-2006, 03:37 PM

previous: 391/500
  • 27 old, yucky unusable spices and food items (trashed)
  • 8 various linens (donated)
  • 13 pieces of dc's artwork (trashed)

current:
439/500

Fling!Fling!Fling!
#77 of 121 Old 12-21-2006, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

I just posted a HUGE offering on Freecycle. I don't want to add the items to my total yet, because technically they're not gone yet.. (still sitting on my porch) but hopefully they will be soon! :

#78 of 121 Old 12-21-2006, 06:35 PM

Well... I've totally slacked off. My goal was 1500 by New Years (I started in late October) but I'm revising it.

So far I'm at 700. But only maybe 60 of that is from this month. I do have one last donation pickup scheduled for this year - Dec. 28. And I have a few big big piles in my basement for that. So I think I can hit 1000.

But. Even if I don't, it's okay. There are 700 fewer items in my house. I never have to look at them again. Or fret about finding a place for them. Or clean them. Or even think about them. It feels great.
#79 of 121 Old 12-21-2006, 06:46 PM

Okay, I've been at it for three days, I'm so thrilled I'm at 126/150. My goal was to reach 150 by tomorrow and I'm hoping to surpass that this afternoon!! What a great idea and when it's put in challenge mode I actually get it done!!
#80 of 121 Old 12-21-2006, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

260 plus:

30 CDs
rocking horse
ride-on toy
2 sun shades
mirror
14 VHS tapes
10 cassettes

=319

#81 of 121 Old 12-21-2006, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Okay, I've been at it for three days, I'm so thrilled I'm at 126/150. My goal was to reach 150 by tomorrow and I'm hoping to surpass that this afternoon!! What a great idea and when it's put in challenge mode I actually get it done!!
That's awesome, especially for 3 days! Wow! What kinds of things are you decluttering?

#82 of 121 Old 12-21-2006, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavournin View Post
Well... I've totally slacked off. My goal was 1500 by New Years (I started in late October) but I'm revising it.

So far I'm at 700. But only maybe 60 of that is from this month. I do have one last donation pickup scheduled for this year - Dec. 28. And I have a few big big piles in my basement for that. So I think I can hit 1000.

But. Even if I don't, it's okay. There are 700 fewer items in my house. I never have to look at them again. Or fret about finding a place for them. Or clean them. Or even think about them. It feels great.
700 items is awesome! I wish I could get 700 items out of here! I certainly wouldn't call that slacking off

#83 of 121 Old 12-21-2006, 11:58 PM

Quick reply to say I'm in. (I still need to go back and read the rest of the thread...) We are just moving into a new house and I'd like half of the stuff that we brought with us to go. Also, this is the perfect time for me to declutter to gear up for the treasure map that I've learned about from Tracy.

ETA: Oh I can start my list with 1 item. We got rid of this huge monstrosity of an entertainment center. Dh put it outside by the curb the night before bulk would have come to pick it up. Sure enough, someone came about an hour later with a pickup truck and took it. I'm glad it got reused.
Sometimes it really is easier to put stuff out by the curb so that people can just take. I told my Dh we should just put some of the bigger items out with a sign that says "Free to good home"

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**
#84 of 121 Old 12-22-2006, 12:25 AM

Quote:
What kinds of things are you decluttering?
I decluttered several clothing items and lots of items from the fridge (lots of old containers that have been stuffed in the back of cupboards) The other big items were in the bathroom, old products that I keep thinking I'll use but never get too.

130/150 and still going!!
#85 of 121 Old 12-22-2006, 12:31 AM

my goal is to completley purge my computer room next week.

it is a complete sty (and that's putting it lightly) it has been the "catch all" room for the last 2 years. I will definitly be taking before and after pics!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#86 of 121 Old 12-22-2006, 12:35 AM

old 310/500

I feel silly posting to list just 2 items but hey, it keeps me motivated!

threw away one pair of holey socks
freecycled a baby memories scrapbook kit

312/500
#87 of 121 Old 12-22-2006, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannienicole View Post
I'm starting late....but here I go! I have tons of stuff to get rid of and now that the nausea has lifted I'm ready to get started!
hop aboard---the more the merrier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2babybeans View Post
I just posted a HUGE offering on Freecycle. I don't want to add the items to my total yet, because technically they're not gone yet.. (still sitting on my porch) but hopefully they will be soon! :
um, go ahead and post it---but I TOTALLY get why you don't want to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavournin View Post

So far I'm at 700. But only maybe 60 of that is from this month. n my house.
OMG, you're doing great!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loon13 View Post
Quick reply to say I'm in...
ETA: Oh I can start my list with 1 item. We got rid of this huge monstrosity of an entertainment center. Dh put it outside by the curb the night before bulk would have come to pick it up. Sure enough, someone came about an hour later with a pickup truck and took it. I'm glad it got reused.
Sometimes it really is easier to put stuff out by the curb so that people can just take. I told my Dh we should just put some of the bigger items out with a sign that says "Free to good home"
We have alley vultures that scavange our trash---on the other hand when something that's been in your house forever gets put out---and no one takes its---you know throwing it out was totally the right thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
my goal is to completley purge my computer room next week.

it is a complete sty (and that's putting it lightly) it has been the "catch all" room for the last 2 years. I will definitly be taking before and after pics!
Come on in, the water is fine! Can't wait to see what's on your list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennay View Post
old 310/500

I feel silly posting to list just 2 items but hey, it keeps me motivated!

threw away one pair of holey socks
freecycled a baby memories scrapbook kit

312/500
No, no, no, posting everything totally keeps me going--that and seeing what "mama2babybeans" has added to her daily total. I totally want to meet her at the finish line!

So glad you're all here! We are really starting the New Year right.
#88 of 121 Old 12-23-2006, 12:28 AM

old total 312/500

freecycled a brand new never used "talking photo album"
freecycled 6 more toys!

319/500
#89 of 121 Old 12-23-2006, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixenmama View Post
No, no, no, posting everything totally keeps me going--that and seeing what "mama2babybeans" has added to her daily total. I totally want to meet her at the finish line!
Meet me at the finish line? I think you're totally kicking my butt in this challenge

#90 of 121 Old 12-23-2006, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loon13 View Post
Quick reply to say I'm in. (I still need to go back and read the rest of the thread...) We are just moving into a new house and I'd like half of the stuff that we brought with us to go. Also, this is the perfect time for me to declutter to gear up for the treasure map that I've learned about from Tracy.
Loon!
I was just thinking about you today! My daughter wore her favorite butterfly tights today (from that amazing box you sent me earlier in the year from the RAOK thread?) and it just made me smile as she pointed to each butterfly and shrieked with excitement. She loves them!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page