December 200 items decluttering challenge... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 106 Old 12-04-2006, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can we do this? I saw the 500 items thread, and I don't know if I own a whole lot more than that!

For those of us that don't hoard things quite as bad, let's have a 200 things challenge! I have a ton of junk that I should really get rid of.

I can start by cleaning out my closet ( a ridiculous amount of things that I wish would fit, or will honestly never wear again).

Shoes need to be weeded through.

The garage is a disaster area.

An exuberant amount of baby things...

I have a million kinds of dishes in my kitchen and cookbooks I'll never look at again probably.

I have too many knick knacks. I love them all, but I really need to just get rid of some of them honestly.

Is anyone with me?

Last night I did 15 things. Clothes dp will never wear (and some he never has in the entire time we've been together), tons of candle holders, beads, and jewelry.

Stay posted for more!
#2 of 106 Old 12-04-2006, 06:33 PM

Oh, I am SO in. We're moving to a new, smaller house this March and every weekend we're going through a different room or space and paring it down.

I've already hit 200 items, though, for December - this past weekend we went through our 30+ boxes of books and managed to get 7 boxes of stuff (books and VHS tapes) that we can get rid of. SEVEN! We're talking case paper boxes of books, VHS tapes and children's books here. I am thrilled! And I feel so much free-er.

One of these days we're going to tackle my fabric room :

I think I can definitely get more out.
#3 of 106 Old 12-04-2006, 10:28 PM

I'm in! I am so fed up with the clutter. I feel like I want to burn my dining room table b/c all it is is a catch-all for the junk mail, hats, coats, packages. UGHH! Anyway, I want to get rid of more things, although this summer dh and I had a rummage and then donated whatever was left, which felt great. It was tons and tons of stuff. I loved it! But I can already think of things to get rid of.
#4 of 106 Old 12-05-2006, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I was somewhat of a lazy bum last night when I got home. I did sell a wedding dress I never wore (long story ) on craigs list for $200 though!!! I am going to sell our extra little beater car too. Kbb says it's worth $1300. I think I'll sell it for $1000 just to make it go faster. I know that probably only counts as one item, but it's cluttering my entire driveway!

Maybe I'll try and join a couple swaps too so I can get rid of a few things I'll never use...

We could have a decluttering swap!
#5 of 106 Old 12-05-2006, 12:04 PM

I'm in! Last night was the first night I brought it up to my husband. We had dinner guests and they left with 27 cd's! So my count is now in my signature line!
#6 of 106 Old 12-05-2006, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

I'm a dirty idea stealer
#7 of 106 Old 12-05-2006, 05:25 PM

I made it to 394 for the November challenge...so 200 should be great!
I'm so in!!

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#8 of 106 Old 12-06-2006, 03:25 AM

i would love to be in on this!
#9 of 106 Old 12-06-2006, 05:47 AM

I'm in...should be easy since my toddlers tear stuff out of drawers everyday. All I have to do is throw it away or donate or recycle instead of putting stuff back in the drawers!!!

I got rid of a bunch this morning!! Tomorrow is trash day so I'm going to work on some clearing tomorrow! Yay...
#10 of 106 Old 12-06-2006, 11:41 AM

I'll join in! I have already started - just simple things like finally reading those magazine articles I saved, tossing catalogs (I was saving them for DD to use to cut pictures out of) and cleaning the fridge.

I am also going to take thet ime to go through our christmas boxes and get rid of the decorations we've been storing, but not using - or things that are broken and I'll never fix.

I'd love to tackle to toy shelves BEFORE we get new things for christmas.

Kids clothes will have to wait - I take spring things to the resale store in January - so I won't get rid of anything in that department until they look it over and give me store credit.

My big things is I'd like to get rid of all the too-small cloth diapers I have - they are actually sitting on my desk and need to GO!
#11 of 106 Old 12-06-2006, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

I got rid of 27 more things last night!

Some of it is as easy as realizing you don't NEED those extra easter egg dye tablets from last year

I need to update my siggy now. I actually got a huge pile of clothes that I will never fit into again that I'm going to post on the FS page tonight, but I didn't count those yet. There's got to be at least 30 more things there.

Anyone a size 7?
#12 of 106 Old 12-06-2006, 04:14 PM

i got rid of 92 things today! Well, some of it is in bags to be donated, but I'm thrilled!! It feels so good. Once I declutter, then I need to get more organized.
#13 of 106 Old 12-07-2006, 01:07 PM

nak
I did not make my Nov goal, but this month is looking better already

Thrift store donation yesterday:
4 child games (given to me)
5 women's suits
30+ baby clothes items
8 hats, scarves, warm socks
1 sweatshirt
1 pr shoes
2 bags,
1 bike helmet
2 sets queen sheets (we haven't had a queen-sized bed in well over a year : )
12 towels/shams/pillow cases/bed skirts, etc

So, 66/200
#14 of 106 Old 12-07-2006, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

How do you guys feel about listing our iso in case a decluttering mama finds something another mama can use...?
#15 of 106 Old 12-07-2006, 04:52 PM

I just went in to my work/wool/sewing room (it needs a new name especially as a loom will be in it soon) and disposed of/redirected to second hand items or pieces of useless paper, old spools, stray bits of yarn - don't worry I have enough to knit a flock of full fleece sheep) and other stuff I could no longer identify! And I have just scratched the surface! i need to make room for a 45 inch floor loom by the end of the month. My dp says no way there is not enough room and I say no way not so I HAVE to get this done. So I am aiming for 100 a day until it is done!
#16 of 106 Old 12-07-2006, 09:04 PM

oh i so need to join and get some insperation to get things moving, since we are moving soon, and with christmas i know the kids are going to get a bunch of junk that is just going to clutter thier rooms more so i need to clean thoughs out before christmas!!!
#17 of 106 Old 12-08-2006, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

I am getting rid of 30 pieces of clothing tonight!!! It's a little hard to let them go, but it's also nice to look in my closet and see only clothes that I wear!! Yay!!!
#18 of 106 Old 12-08-2006, 12:18 PM

nak (as always, these days...)

1 shirt to my sister
3 boxes expired/stale crackers
salt & pepper shakers to my mom

72/200
#19 of 106 Old 12-08-2006, 03:45 PM

I am in! I really need to do this. We started this morning going through DS's toys so that we are ready for the onslaught of *stuff* we are going to get I'm sure for Christmas.

So, I have a question.

If you move the items to the attic, etc for future children (we try to keep the big toys and clothes we like, etc for our next child so that we don't have to rebuy) does this count as an item?

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#20 of 106 Old 12-08-2006, 03:56 PM

Quote:
How do you guys feel about listing our iso in case a decluttering mama finds something another mama can use...?
Thats such a good idea, especially because I find it hard to part with the things that need to be decluttered, I don't want to just throw them away. We can list the iso but wouldn't it be easier if people just listed what they are trying to get rid of and then maybe have swaps or something. I have tons of hamster gear that I need to declutter and make room in my closets. I have wheels, and other accessories.
#21 of 106 Old 12-08-2006, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelLucas View Post
So, I have a question.

If you move the items to the attic, etc for future children (we try to keep the big toys and clothes we like, etc for our next child so that we don't have to rebuy) does this count as an item?
I wondered about this, too - for instance, I just called my local vintage/resale clothes shop and asked if they were buying, because I have a bunch of vintage dresses that I've realized I will just never wear again. They said to wait until after the new year. So can I count these? What if they make it out to the car, like I'll keep them in the trunk until then? Thoughts?

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#22 of 106 Old 12-08-2006, 05:17 PM

104 yesterday. About to get started on today!
#23 of 106 Old 12-09-2006, 01:09 PM

29/200

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#24 of 106 Old 12-09-2006, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

I guess if there are real plans to get rid of things, that would count. Just don't forget they're in the trunk of your car!!!

(I hear the more weight in your car the more gas you use also... on that note, I should de clutter my cars...)
#25 of 106 Old 12-09-2006, 05:43 PM

got rid of 27 cd's
tv (that had been unplugged in the basement for ages...)
dvd player
tv cabinet
4 sweaters

31/200
#26 of 106 Old 12-09-2006, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmyn View Post
Oh, I am SO in. We're moving to a new, smaller house this March and every weekend we're going through a different room or space and paring it down.

I've already hit 200 items, though, for December - this past weekend we went through our 30+ boxes of books and managed to get 7 boxes of stuff (books and VHS tapes) that we can get rid of. SEVEN! We're talking case paper boxes of books, VHS tapes and children's books here. I am thrilled! And I feel so much free-er.

One of these days we're going to tackle my fabric room :

I think I can definitely get more out.
A tummy bug swept our house and everything staled for a bit. But DH just left the house with those seven boes of books - he's taking them to half price books, and what they don't take is going to Goodwill.

He's getting a fan to fix our old computer so we can donate it to somwehere - then that big bohemouth will be gone, as well.

I also found over a dozen diaper covers that I will either send to a MIN from the holiday helper thread, or um...what else could I do with them if they aren't needed? I guess Ebay.

Mamas, if you are decluttering anyway, please check the holiday helper thread to see if there is anything you can donate to a family in need. They need all sorts of things, so you never know, just check. Lots of families are in need this year, and it feels so so good to know you're helping someone out who really needs it.:
#27 of 106 Old 12-09-2006, 11:23 PM

Chasmyn: Here's what you can do with your diapers...
www.miraclediapers.com
#28 of 106 Old 12-10-2006, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritmomma View Post
Chasmyn: Here's what you can do with your diapers...
www.miraclediapers.com
That's perfect! I just emailed them, thanks so much!
#29 of 106 Old 12-10-2006, 05:31 PM

1 HUGE entertainment center
1 large room's carpet and padding

74/200
#30 of 106 Old 12-10-2006, 06:44 PM

I have 80 things out of my house. I actually have more than that, because I have about 4 huge boxes ready for Goodwill. But I am not counting things until I actually donate them - otherwise I still have the clutter. But those 4 boxes will actually take me really close to 200 items.

I'm going to keep going with this.

Good job everyone!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page