Mothering Forum banner

Need advice re: painting in Montana in January

561 views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  kathirynne 
#1 ·
I have this ridiculous notion to remove everything from my room on 1 January, and paint all the walls (as a kick-off to my year-long, super decluttering/redecorating binge
).

My question is, can you paint interior walls when it's cold outside? (I generally paint in the summer, so that I can have all the windows open for ventilation and to speed the drying process.)

I really want to do this!! Anyone have any advice, either way?

TIA

See less See more
#2 ·
Yeah you can paint the inside of your house when its cold out, not sure why you couldn't. We just painted a spare room. Keep your heat steady and paint, then when you are done I open the windows and shut the door for a little while to air it out better.

#5 ·
I do most of my painting during the winter, when I have more time. Don't forget to estimate how much natural light you will have. It's much easier to paint in natural light than a ton of lamps set up all over the place. So it may take you a few more days if you want to work in the light. That said, dh and I painted his office after he came home from work. Took us three days and we had to put most of the lamps in the room, but we managed.

#6 ·
My folks are in Kalispell and my mom paints in the winter. ITA that low-VOC paint will keep your fumes down. If your painter friend doesn't have any or can't find any, some brands do smell worse than others - I bet he would know.

Where in MT, may I ask?

#8 ·
I went to college in Missoula! We try to get back there when we visit my family - it's a fun trip and the kids always enjoy it. I miss Butterfly Herbs and climbing the M and all the great independent bookstores... and the Independent.
We always go to Rockin' Rudy's, too.

Mmmm, now I'm nostalgic.

#12 ·
Bummer.

I know, things change, it's not like I've eaten there in ten years, but I'm still a little sad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.