Mothering Forum banner

How do you decide how much you need

510 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  sabrinat 
#1 ·
And what can go.
We have alot of stuff...dh and I are both to blame, but we are working on this issue. We are in what we consider to be a small home for our family size so I need to clear out as much stuff as reasonably possible. How do you determine what you really need, becuz we obviously felt we needed it all

See less See more
#2 ·
A good way to see what you REALLY need is to simply pay attention to what you actually use each day. Keep a list - do you use all your pots and pans, or just 2? Do the kids wear all their clothes, or just certain favorites? You get the idea....

I've also heard of folks putting all but the most basic things in totes or boxes and putting them away. For example, in the kitchen, you might leave out dishware/mug/glass/silverware for each person; several pots, a skillet, a baking pan, and some utensils. You make a note each time you have to go into the boxes of stored kitchen stuff. Those things you pull out and use at least weekly stay. The other stuff that never gets pulled out gets pitched.

The only exceptions might be seasonal baking equipment, etc. - might be easier to store in a hard-to-reach place.

#3 ·
I start out using a dollar value/do we use it rule. Is it valued under $30? Have we used it in the past 12 mths? If no and no, it goes. I figure if I get rid of, lets say, 200 items, and I end up needing to replace 1 or 2, whatever I have to spend to do that is totally worth the freedom from clutter... I wish DH would do that in the basement workshop area, ugh...

If I am dealing w/ 'sentimental value' I think, ok, if i save it, who will want it if I die? My kids? My sister? Do I ever look at it? Will it fit in my 'sentimentality box', which is a big rubbermaid labeled 'Janice's Stuff to Keep Forever'. Forever is a long long time, if you aren't going to commit to keeping a sentimental item forever, or until someone else will take it, then don't keep it at all. I saw a great idea on HGTV, a mom was having a hard time w/ her kids stuff, they suggested taking a picture of whatever the item is, or in the case of a christening dress, getting it framed and hanging it in the nursery.

#4 ·
if it was handmade with love i keep it

my daughters christening/baptisim gown i'm keeping forever. i love the idea of framing it.

if i don't ever use it and don't even like it that much i either give it to someone who will use it, i sell it, or i donate it.

if it is a lot of trouble to sell it i eventually give it to goodwill. i've got a garage full of stuff that i really need to give up

if it was really expensive sometimes i keep it even though i don't use it much. as in the easle i paid 80$ for and my dad put together one christmas eve till 2am. i think it will stay in the garage though. i' just spent way too much effort really cleaning the kitchen for painting to happen in there

if i LOVE it i keep it! if i smile every time i see it. like this bolt of fabric from my aunt. it is this loud 60s floral and i LOVE it. i actually just decided i'm going to make kitchen curtains out of it. (in theory anyway)

#6 ·
Mmm.. "need" is such a loaded word. MDC mommas are so fast to tell a mom-to-be that all she Really Needs are boobs, a sling, and a car seat......

We just moved from 1700 sq feet to 600. Anything we didnt love, we donated.

We'd spent the previous 5 months living with only a suitcase of stuff, so our perception of what we needed was perhaps skewed....

I find that in helping others determine how much they can get rid of (I think it's a more helpful way to phrase the question) it helps to go in phases.

Phase one is to collect everything you Absolutely Love. That stays.
Phase two is to purge everything you Really Hate. Get it out first.
Phase three is to put what's left away. A while later (a month maybe), go back thru it. You might suprize yourself with how much you get rid of.

Also-- one hang up tends to be "I really dont like this ____, but I 'need' one... and can't find one I do love." Ask yourself if you really NEED it, or if you just feel you ought to Need/Have one...... often times you'll find you really dont need it... and, esp. if you dont love it, you probably wont use it...... AND-- here's the kicker: IF you get rid of it, you make room for one you DO love to come into your life. True story. Totally happens.

Good luck!!!

#7 ·
moosemommy,
Great advice. I might be hanging out on MDC and prescribe to a certain philosophy for living, but dh is as different from me as night is from day. Not that he doesn't see the wisdom of my way
He is much more consumer driven than I will ever be. He likes gadgets.
I think asking the sorting questions is a good way to keep us focused

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.