Mothering Forum banner

do holiday decorations bug the crap outta ya

589 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  accountclosed3 
#1 ·
I have to say as much as I enjoy making our house "beautiful" at Christmas I get to the point "let's take down all this crap". I don't have tons of stuff even. Just stuff we all really like. But I am ready for it all to come down. Is that wierd or what??? Anyone else feel this way a week before the big day???

#2 ·
I do! This year we put up a big tree, a collection of small trees and some christmas linens. I went through our 10+ bins of items and PURGED so much of it! I just couldn't stand looking at it all anymore.

My MIL gave me her collection of Department 56 building and such...I can't even THINK about putting them up...they are pretty and all but they are time-consuming and slightly irritate me...like I am supposed to look at them and think "how pretty" but I just look at them and get annoyed at how much effort I put into something I can't wait to take down!

#4 ·
I just don't like a bunch of stuff all over my surfaces.

My sister gave us a giant stuffed Minnie Mouse dressed
as Mrs. Santa that I finally banished to my dd's bedroom
because I couldn't stand it flopping all over my couch.

Each year I put up less and less. I'm getting so much pickier.
I was just thinking about this today. I think I just want a very few
decorations that I like a lot. I guess I'll keep my eyes open.

I even get tired of the Christmas tree, it blocks too much
light, as if Darth Vadar is standing in my bay.

I reallly love my old tinsel tree though---it lets the light right through.

About that Department 56 stuff...funny that your MIL gave it
to you

There must be something you can do with it--some place wher eit can be
appreciated. Maybe a nursing home or somesuch. Someplace where
there'll be someone who would love spending the time putting it up,
then admiring it, then taking it down.

#5 ·
I was just thinking that today while I was looking around. I've already pulled down a few things and put them in the garage sale pile. I think I'm going to put more things in the pile when I'm taking everything down.

It's funny, decorating my house is so much fun, I can't wait to do it. But I get tired of it quickly too and can't wait to take the stuff down and put it away. Another reason to be happy Christmas only comes once a year.

#7 ·
I took down a bunch of stuff today. I left up the Advent calendar, tree of course and snow village. That's it. Oh yeah and the gingerbread house my kids made. By Tuesday at 10am it will ALL be down and neatly packed away. Next year I think we're gonna wait til 2weeks before Christmas to put it up. MAX. I can see why as people get older they quit the whole decorating thing all together.

#8 ·
My son was born on xmas eve 2 years ago---I put up the tree a week before xmas, and dh and I threw it out new years eve.

Maybe what I really want for decorations are beautiful greenery and lights for the outside of the house and a really wonderful fresh greens arrangement for inside. We'll still do a tree, but I'm on the lookout for a really skinny one.

#9 ·
i absolutely love my trees and my ornaments.and my set of nesting santas.. if we owned our home, we would almost definitely have gaudy outside lights and stuff, but the rest of it, the little christmas village houses and other geegaws that have all been given to me/my family, i could care less about....
i don' t even know why i put em up...
more stuff to dust...
bleh...

#10 ·
my husband and i like to decorate, but this year i kept it SUPER simple. nativity, four santas (one hanging, three figurines), one star (centerpiece of the table) and five hand-decorated ornaments (hanging on the chandelier). i don't have kids, so i can 'get away with it.' but, i also like simple decorations.

i'm lucky, the extent of my decorations is one large bin, two small bins (for ornaments), and the box for the nativity. that's it!
i didn't get any more ornaments or decorations this year (i asked family to not get me any), and so it goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.