Share your decluttering / organizing successes! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 01-09-2007, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so glad you asked!!! I recently began the process of clearing out the baby room, I had huge piles of magazines, and I organized them cut out recipes that I liked and gave them to people who were really excited to be inheriting them. I also cut down on baby clothes by getting her stuff into one small tupperwear box, and donated the rest to a prematernity home, where I was swarmed by women needing little baby clothes. I also began looking at books that I forgot I had and really don't need, and giving them to people who are interested in them, and trying to sell some of them also. We are going to have a sale next week and should cut down on more crap soon. I call my stuff crap but it really isn't...it's just too much stuff than I need. My husband is very proud of the progress I am making clearing out the house of extra junk, and I feel good kind of like a santa claus when I give things too people who appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 47 Old 01-10-2007, 01:02 AM

I have made a committment this year to really downsize and keep organized.
(Maybe its "nesting"? maybe its just me being sick of it)

Earlier this month:
I have gotten rid of 2 boxes of stuff that was just trash
Have sorted 2 boxes of stuff to give away

Today:
Decluttered the bathroom which included a TON of empty bottles, wrappers, ect. I also organized everything which has the added benefit of knowing exactly what I have of band-aids, tylenol, ect. so I am not tempted to go out and buy more.
#33 of 47 Old 01-10-2007, 02:59 PM

Turnipmama- I totally agree with you on over-buying supplies when you can't remember what you have!

Made headway in our storage closet last night! I got thru my outgrown cloth diapers, sorting out the ones I really wanted to keep and just posted the ones I want to purge. Also went thru some more kids clothing and old craft supplies that I don't think I'll use again. My closet is loosing totes and feeling sooo roomy!

I think I'm becomming addicted to decluttering!
#34 of 47 Old 01-10-2007, 07:32 PM

Today I went through the coat closet, mostly organized as I gave away a bunch of coats last year, I did find some jackets to donate though.

I went through my magazine drawer and the whole lot is being donated somewhere, I kept them around thinking we would read them again, but we haven't (I am not telling dh though )!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#35 of 47 Old 01-11-2007, 07:48 PM

Working my way through the whole house but so far yesterday and today I:

1. Went through and cleared out and gave away 8 grocery bags full of food from the pantry that either we don't like, won't use in time, or had multiples of.

2. Cleared out the fridge and freezer

3. Organized 3 kitchen cabinets.

A few more cabinets in the kitchen to go and I will be done with the kitchen! Yay!

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.
#36 of 47 Old 01-11-2007, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarAndSun View Post
My half of the closet today! I would say I got rid of about 40% of my clothes; stored $20 % in case I am ever pregnant and big again; kept about 40%.

Last week I got rid of about 20% of the toys.

Goals:
Clean yard/outside toys
Clean junk drawers/baskets in kitchen
Clean basement
Have dh clean out his side of the closet
Organize/downsize cds/dvds

I HATE that we have so much stuff!
Cleaned all the junk drawers/baskets in the kitchen.

I will take care of the cds/dvds tomorrow... and maybe the yard.
#37 of 47 Old 01-11-2007, 10:27 PM

Well, this is sort of an old accomplishment but an accomplishment none the less. I got a bunch of 30 gallon bins to sort through ALL of our clothes. I'm talking 10 years accumulation here. I sorted them into gender and size order. Plus, a bin for swimming suits and beach towels and another for snow suits, boots and hats/gloves/scarves.

A more recent accomplishment started with explaining to the kids that we have too much stuff...too much to take care of, its overwhelming and that's why our house is a mess. And when the house is a mess, I am grumpy and not the momma I want to be. We just can't play/build/paint/bake/whatever in a mess so we have to clean up first, and no one wants to, so we wind up not doing the fun stuff. I told them I want to get rid of all the things we don't love or need/use on a regular basis so we can start all over again with the amount of stuff we *can* take care of. And when we get more stuff, we can get rid of old stuff to make room. (This went into a conversation about society's values and marketing. )

Oh, the accomplishment part was they agreed with me! They are on my side! (Now I just have to convince my dh!) My 9 year old said he wants one of those bins so he can fill it with his favorite stuff and donate the rest to kids who don't have enough stuff.

We are moving in a couple weeks and we are only taking the bare minimums. Every kids gets a bin for their toys. I already pared down the clothes (got 8full trash bags for the Care and Share!) so its a start.

What a motivating thread, now I need to make a list!
#38 of 47 Old 01-12-2007, 12:15 PM

I finished my closet. It is a small walk-in, that I hadn't walked into in almost a year. This morning I picked out my clothes in ease. I still have a huge box of pictures to sort through. The kids albums need to be filled along with some other albums. Probably will fill a few frames I have floating around too. And the rest will have to go. Most are duplicates I couldn't part with. I'm going to goodwill with 8 bags tomorrow. I am so excited to have it gone. Other projects this weekend:

1. Wash, dry, sort and take pics of the cloth diaper stash and post for sale

2. Rewash, dry, fold a basket of good clothes for the resale shop.

3. Photo collection.

It is soooo much more peaceful without all the crap around exploding from every crevice. We still have clutter but it is beginning to feel managable. I am sure it is going to make the regular cleaning go sooo much faster too which is huge plus.
#39 of 47 Old 01-12-2007, 05:21 PM

I am so inspired by this thread that I'm going to turn the computer off RIGHT NOW and go downstairs and tackle my storage room. I know there are boxes in there that we haven't unpacked since our last move (4 YEARS ago!) and that's just sad and pathetic and ends right now.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#40 of 47 Old 01-15-2007, 01:24 AM

Me too, me too!!

Inspired by the 7 every week thread (which I can't seem to find now!) I've got three bags of stuff waiting to go to children's consignment and Goodwill.

I put hooks up today for things that end up wherever - one by the door for my purse, one in the kitchen with a laundry bag for dirty dishtowels, two in the bathroom for washcloths and my mama cloth bag, two in the bedroom for towels I always leave on the bed (wet!) when I get out of the shower.

Also finally pulled some old clothes to cut up for rags, added to my "For Ebay" box (which admittedly is still in the house!), started a very modest and compact launching pad with a file-magazine rack for mail, and made my peace with selling the snug ride car seat dd outgrew over two years ago.

Thanks for asking! This feels good.

Jude
#41 of 47 Old 01-15-2007, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter

Today I made up my own motivated moms style chore list!

I made a sheet in word for all my daily stuff, then I went through and thought about what I would need to do to completely clean every room and broke it into seperate tasks (decluttering one cabinet is one task, etc) and then I broke all the tasks into things that need to be done daily (it goes on the daily sheet), biweekly, weekly, monthly and bimonthly. (I'm going to do a seperate sheet for seasonal stuff). Then I created a sheet with Sunday through Sat on it, divided up the weekly stuff, cut and paste it and labelled it week 1 and 2, then put the biweekly stuff in, cut and paste week 1 and 2 to make 3 and 4, added the monthly stuff, then cut and paste all to make week 5-8, then I divided up all the bimonthly tasks. So all I have to do is rotate through weeks 1-8 and if I do all the tasks my house should stay relatively clean and decluttered. It's a nice amount of work after all. My daily list is picking up every room, loading dishwasher, sweeping kitchen, cleaning counters and putting in a load of laundry. Then there are only 6 other tasks a day to do. Everything gets decluttered in rotation once every 8 weeks!

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#42 of 47 Old 01-15-2007, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3boz View Post
Well...since you asked...I have been on a tangent. I am determined to get rid of about 30-40 percent of our stuff. I hauled out 5 trash bags of stuff. Then I went through the house literally taking stuff down off the walls. Stuff I bought "just because something needs to go there". Not stuff I love, not true art, just stuff. I have almost a van full. And I made the boys reduce their VHS/DVD collection by half. I am not done. The next thing on my "agenda" is bath towels. We have been given so may over the years. What I want is all white, hotel type. So they can be bleached and hung outside without hurting them. I am a woman on a mission!!
That is a good idea with the white towels, I think we need to do that. Any ideas on where to get cheap but nice towels?

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#43 of 47 Old 01-15-2007, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onandon View Post
My decluttering success is my husband! After donating seven car loads to goodwill and a couple car loads to our local LLL yardsale in the last 6 months or so I think he's catching the bug. He has the week off between Christmas and New Years and he said he wants to work on our back room! We have wall to wall shelves with kitchen storage plus the laundry, the water heater, tools, vacuum, broom, games, etc. in the room. I'll help him out while dd naps and we'll finally organize wires and power supplies and dead computer parts, and tools, and screws and hardware, and games and books and old shoes, light bulbs, batteries, cleaning stuff, etc. I'm so excited that this room of the house will be done and we'll be left with plenty of floor space for the drying rack and have a clear path out the back door! Plus if the the circuit breaks we'll be able to move the shelf easily and reset it. Once this room is done I think everything will have (and be in) its' place!

Don't you love it when they get into it?? My DH helped with our kitchen when I decluttered and it was so nice to see him wanting to toss stuff, too.

#44 of 47 Old 01-15-2007, 02:32 AM

Well we have done:
-kitchen
-garage
-put christmas stuff in the attic
-living room
-DS's toys

#45 of 47 Old 01-15-2007, 04:32 PM

Going thru old magazines. It's a work in progress. I've got stacks and stacks of old magazines. I used to think, "Oh that's a good recipe" ; "Looks like a neat craft to do w/ the kids" etc. And save the whole magazine.

Duh! Like I'd ever remember what article was in which of the many, many, many magazines. So my goal is to go thru 3 magazines every day. Just flipping thru and scanning not stopping to read. And I tear out the article/recipe/whatever and keep that page. The rest of the magazine goes in the recycling bin.

Eventually, my goal is to get those page protector things and a couple of 3 ring binders and have a binder for Recipes to Try, Kids Crafts/Projects, and Household Ideas/Misc.
#46 of 47 Old 01-15-2007, 05:23 PM

Woo - hoo! Collected all of brother-in-laws stuff (he used to live w/ us), put it all in 2 totes and stacked it out in the barn (OK w/ him). Junked his anceint computer and broken desk. Its so nice not to have all his stuff in ds's room.

I feel like I'm making real progress all thru the house, and its great!
#47 of 47 Old 01-16-2007, 12:15 AM

Finally did the closet/pantry I was dreading (ok, ONE of the many I am dreading ). 3 boxes to Goodwill and one giant heap of crap I had to throw away. I even had a broomstick in there! No broom! Just the stick!!!! Why would I keep that?!:

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page