Helping DH purge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-29-2006, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have a DH for whom the concept of purging is really foriegn? When he was single this wasn't a problem since he never accumulated much, but now that his things are starting to pile up he is really resistant to purging old clothes and things. He even hates it when I donate things of mine that may be worn out, to small, but he still likes. WHen he was little his family had a lot of financial issues, and sold most of his things, so I know why he feels the way he does. Any one have any advice on how to make this process easier on him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2006, 11:07 PM

I have the same problem with my dh- he wants to be less cluttered but he won't listen to me when I say that a lot of the stuff that gets in his way is HIS! I go through the baby's stuff and my own on a regular basis, but he won't get rid of anything! And if I get rid of some of my stuff or dd's, he feels like he has to go through it to make sure that it's not anythign that he thinks we should keep.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:18 AM

My husband finally got to where I wanted him to be decluttering-wise. I've been working on it since 1995 . Actually just today he was talking to friends of ours about how great it was to get rid of some stuff (another car load just after opening Christmas presents) and I was really impressed. He told them that saying "get rid of stuff" was the worst thing for him to hear and that it makes him shut down and not look at the stuff. But, when approached about a closet, the back room, or the shed, etc. (as in a small portion of the house) so long as I say we can only keep what will fit on certain shelves or in some specific space he can work with that. Also it helps if the process is fast, as in park your car closest to the door and pile things in the trunk during business hours of the place you'll be dropping it off all in the same couple of hours. He seems to be getting a little more practical finally! (But, just when will he get rid of (I mean run out of room for) the plaid, patchwork flannel jacket he hasn't worn since we lived in Vermont in 1998?!?)

I believe, and I think my dh does too, that opening up space in our house, removing stuff that we don't need/use/love, opens up room in our lives for new opportunities and opens us up to even getting new things that we love more. He told me at the recycling center that he was so relieved to bring 3 old laptops and a bunch of other non working computer stuff and that he hadn't realized how much it had been burdening him. I guess I have just rambled on to tell you that it may work out in the end just by you setting an example and being ridiculously patient.

Busy mama to dd 6/04 and ds 9/07. Living the dream aboard s/v Convivia.

User Tag List