Welcome 2007: January Decluttering Challenge... - Page 15 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#421 of 459 Old 01-29-2007, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i was just mentioning the same problem to my husband the other day - i have gotten rid of better than 400 things (and combine with december, more than 500), but the house doesn't look any different. BUT - if you look in my closets and cupboards, it's awesome! it's just the stuff i have been doing isn't really visible stuff. i am hoping it will become more visible over february as i continue purging.
#422 of 459 Old 01-29-2007, 06:58 PM

My inlaws are coming Thursday, and my house had to be in order, so this is good timing (thanks Kathryn!)! Here goes: 500 by then!! So far today I have done:

picked up my bed room floor and organized paperwork that had been moved in there last minute and then left to sit. I got two small bags of trash, so I'm going to conservatively count that as 30

Broke down all the cardboard recyclables and sorted the rest that hadn't been sorted already: 117
Dh and ds1 will take 11 paper sacks to the recycle center this afternoon

packed up clothes for next years HH: 10
still need to move upstairs to store

Total so far today 158

To do by Thursday:

Fold/hang/put away 4 load of laundry (it might be more, but it is piled on my bed, so who knows) plus new laundry

clear off dining room table

upstairs room for them to sleep in

declutter stairs

clear off my desk

Clean Connor's room, go through his clothes and put some things in storage

Clear out my bathroom and get rid of extra stuff

declutter front porch

take plants outside and trim off the dead leaves

put away the rest of Christmas decorations that are down but not in boxes
#423 of 459 Old 01-29-2007, 10:03 PM

I cleaned out the car. There wasn't as much there as I thought, but enough. I mostly just threw away/recycled what was in there, lots of water bottles and such. Only going to count it as 15, though it was a big bag of garbage
#424 of 459 Old 01-29-2007, 10:52 PM

1 holey t shirt
2 happy meal toy
1 pooh shape sorter thing w/ lots of little pieces
------

Total 307/300
#425 of 459 Old 01-30-2007, 01:03 AM

Tackled my boxes in the garage, if I work just a little bit out there tomorrow, I may very well make my goal. 50 boxes are now loaded in the back of dhs truck to be dropped off at recycling tomorrow. I also listed some things on freecyle, if those things go I will be so happy as they are some huge taker upers of space out there...
#426 of 459 Old 01-30-2007, 02:27 AM

I moved the bookshelf today and got rid of about 30 things. I also got rid of some other odd things today. Bringing my total up 62.

679/750

only 71 to go. Crap...I gotta get busy tomorrow lol. I'm sure I'll be able to do it. My husband and I decided I should get rid of my stuff thats too small. We can afford to buy me clothes if and when I start losing weight. Besides most of it doesnt work on a post pregnancy body anyway. No matter if I weigh less than pre pregnancy it just never looked right again. I also still have toys to get rid of. So maybe toys tomorrow and clothes wednesday.
#427 of 459 Old 01-30-2007, 02:38 AM

I put DD down to sleep before I could count, but I have 3 boxes for goodwill, 1 box for her cousin to be, and a bag of trash from her room! Just a few more things to go through there, then on to our room! I think that I'll get rid of my clothes that are too small too. I've been hanging on to them for so long, but with all this nursing I don't think my chest will fit in those shirts any time soon!

Does putting up stuff/organizing items count? (essentially decluttering via organization?) Or is this just a what you are throwing out thread?

Mama to Clara 5/2/06, & Anna 11/4/08 and wife to Dan 6/8/02
#428 of 459 Old 01-30-2007, 02:41 AM
Banned

I got rid of two piles of diapers and yet I am only counting them as 2. Maybe I should count differently?
#429 of 459 Old 01-30-2007, 12:37 PM

ok, id like to get in on this. i already have like 5 boxes filled! im sure well over 500 things. should i go through it all or what?

just read the op. ill shoot for 500. so here goes...ill go through everything so i know what i have and if i need to keep going.
#430 of 459 Old 01-30-2007, 01:22 PM

I am at 430 out of my 1000 goal and I see no difference either.

But you know.....I FEEL different inside! I am excited about the accomplishment (even though I have not hit my goal....yet )

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#431 of 459 Old 01-30-2007, 01:29 PM

Is this something you're planning on starting again in February? : I would LOVE to participate, but I have one day to go and probably wouldn't get a whole lot out of the house in that time. I hope I can start fresh next month and have some other mamas to support my progress!

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#432 of 459 Old 01-30-2007, 01:59 PM

ya, im also wondering about feb . i think i want my challenge to be for this month AND next month, since im a late starter. but, i have had my boxes filled for awhile now.
#433 of 459 Old 01-30-2007, 04:28 PM

TxMomin CT, I'm countig putting away/decluttering my organization (But you already knew that )

So last night I got a biscotti jar glued back together and put back up, picked up under the edges of th couch and threw stuff away, and this morning I got some extra stuff off the kitchen counters for another 37, so I am 195/500. Plus, dh got off early from work, so he is cleaning the kitchen now and folding clothes in a minute, and I am going to start on the desk. this counting is getting obsessive...

Off to work...
#434 of 459 Old 01-30-2007, 04:44 PM

this is what was posted as "rules" in I think November. Of course, I like to make up my own rules and I think it really depends on what will motivate you. Does it motivate you to straighten things? Or what exactly does your house need right now? Those are questions I am asking myself, but this is what I found
OK, so, the "rules," borrowed from Amy's October challenge. Amy, if this isn't ok, would you let me know? Thanks!

"Here is what counts:
anything you sell on the tp, ebay, Craigslist etc
anything you freecycle, give back to the rightful owners, donate, give away.
anything you throw out but I would much rather somehow get the item back out there thats not possible and I will also be throwing stuff out.

If you have a small box of your old college papers in the attic and you toss it- its one item. If you also toss your dh's box as well, its two items.

The old mayo jar in the fridge counts as an item, two separate happy meal toys count as two items.
If someone is doing a can goods drive, give them a few good items, they count!
You old tax record from 1998 counts as one item to be shredded.

500 sounds like a lot but once you get started you will be surprised how fast you can drum up 500 items and then some! I go thru everything when I do this down to the makeup drawer and over the washer shelf.

Remember you have an entire month to do this so pace yourself...

As for if there will be another challenge in February, if someone doesn't start one soon, I will. I am loving this
I also so far have gotten rid of 13 glass jars, and if my freecycle people show up, there will be more today, and tomorrow is garbage day, so hoping to go through the garage a little today, please warm up just a little...
And as soon as I write that, my first freecycle person shows up, a table and two chairs, gone
#435 of 459 Old 01-30-2007, 05:13 PM

i took two old (CR)Applebees shirts back since i won't be working there again. Even if I did I could borrow one of my sister's shirts.

I need to "return" a jacket that a friend gave my dh that is just ugly:

don't know if i'll make my final goal or not but i don't really think thats the point for me. this was exactly the motivation i needed to DO something about our house and it looks SO good especially in the areas where i had already been working. And i can see a small difference even in the areas that i have been ignoring. Rules are good if you think you need them...and i like how the "rules" are pretty vaugue.

i think i will count the 1 bookshelf worth of books that i relocated to the kids room as a de-clutter iten b/c it sure de-cluttered the grown-up bookshelf!

I'm going to be working mainly in the garage, computer room and kids' room for february. (my scary places - well except the kids' room b/c i already started on it. Oh and maybe I'll get to the "linen closet"

mamas. we're almost there!
#436 of 459 Old 01-30-2007, 05:52 PM
Banned

Has anyone decided to revise their goal down? I know I won't make my goal of 200 but I am pretty sure I can do 100 and that is fine with me. I am just not sure whether it is more important to reach my goal or do the best I can without changing my goal.

Oh, and I just passed off 5 items of baby clothes and shoes. So I am Up to 75/200.
#437 of 459 Old 01-30-2007, 06:05 PM

Okay, the desk is cleared off and organized. I sorted and then either filed or threw away/recycled over 200 pieces of paper/bills/saved articles/business cards, etc. Oh, and I put away several toys and kid's books that had mixed in, oops, and fixed the books that needed pages taped back together. I put all the CD's together, but I am going to only give myself partial credit because I just put them together, I didn't go through them and organize them per se. But they are off the desk, boxed, and waiting to be finished later I also dusted the desk and computer and neatened all the cables and cords at the back of the computer and found 3 that were not even connected to anything mixed in. So I am going to dock myself some for leaving part 'til later and value this project at 100, bringing my total to to 295/500.

Do I get to count the laundry that dh gets done and put away, or I do I get to find more to do instead?
#438 of 459 Old 01-30-2007, 06:34 PM

old total: 181/200

took a bunch of stuff (clothes & unused baby stuff) to goodwill, we'll say 15 items.

new total: 196/200

what else is around here that i can toss?!

i'm totally up for february...
#439 of 459 Old 01-30-2007, 07:53 PM

Just went through the kitchen. It's hard to part with cooking stuff! I still got rid of 40 things!!! YEA! I'm giving most of it to goodwill and tossing the rest. I figured out that I had 3 sets of measuring cups! A bit much. I couldn't downsize to 1 set, but I now only have 2!! baby steps!

#440 of 459 Old 01-30-2007, 08:39 PM

i was able to purge out 80 more items today - i finally got around to going through my sewing/craft stuff. that's a big weight gone. that puts me over my total of 400 to 471! and i guess that's my grand total for january unless something changes tonight (like ds agrees to go through his side of the closet - haha!).

the closets/cupboards remaining are the spare bedroom closet, dh's side of the closet and our master bathroom cupboard. after that i can seriously start giving a hard look to just what is sitting around in the various rooms of our house - not a huge amount, but definitely more than necessary. these things are clearly not going to happen in january, but when written down it doesn't seem insurmountable.

i have told dh that we are going to do the garage before new baby comes - the thought makes my head spin. now that will easily be a couple thousand items goal (poor dh - he's a worse pack rat than me).
#441 of 459 Old 01-30-2007, 10:59 PM

I just got rid of 20 items from the pantry! But DH wants to keep the bread machiene with the missing part: he likes to take stuff apart and play with it?! He also thinks we could find a replacement part, so I'm only up 19!

#442 of 459 Old 01-31-2007, 12:23 AM

All the clothes that were on the bed are GONE, folded, hung, put away! About 3 loads, so since I split it with DH, I will count them as 40 (we also did 2 new loads, too, but since they weren't old clutter I'm not counting them.) Emptied 1 suitcase from Dh's trip in December and put it's contents away. Suitcase still needs to go upstairs. Threw away/recycled a few more items from under/around the bed, say 3. So adding 44 to my current total, I am at 349/500.

Tomorrow, I have a plumber coming, so my bathroom is project #1, then the remainder of the clothes in a basket in my room. Then, the baby's room.
#443 of 459 Old 01-31-2007, 01:43 AM

I have made my goal of 250 items for January, and am starting to count towards a February goal of 500!
#444 of 459 Old 01-31-2007, 02:51 AM

cleaned out 10 more items from changing table, some trash, some goodwill, and some set aside to pass along to new baby cousin coming in August! I also found 10 more from baby's room! Most of those are going to baby cousin.

It's amazing to see how much stuff you have and what you really don't need. This is an excellent lesson in contentment, gratitude, and giving!

#445 of 459 Old 01-31-2007, 03:17 AM

i just went through some drawers and found lots of clothes to de-clutter. Some baby clothes have been put away for thew next one. some have been designated as gifts and some are going to goodwill. combined with what i found in our drawer i think its a whole box full.

i'll be coming in under the wire ithink. but i 've **** got tommorrow....
#446 of 459 Old 01-31-2007, 08:38 AM

Gonna try like hell to at least get rid of 31 more items today to at least make it to 1/2 my goal and then start Feb with the other 1/2
#447 of 459 Old 01-31-2007, 12:30 PM

My bathroom is done, and with going through the makup baskets and lotions and bubble baths stuff, I have another 87 in the trash/recycle or set aside to give to others that will use them. That brings my total now to 436/500! Almost there Playtime with Connor, and then on to his room, as much as he will let me
#448 of 459 Old 01-31-2007, 12:54 PM

I have 135 more items to get rid of by the end of today!!!! We'll see. When I made my goal for this month, I forgot that I would be away from home for a week this month...
#449 of 459 Old 01-31-2007, 02:24 PM

Only 3 from Connor's room, but it is all clean, now, too! Total now is 439/500.
#450 of 459 Old 01-31-2007, 07:08 PM

I just got 50! Items from cleaning out my hall closet!! YEA!! Plus there's room to actually hang up our coats! So my extra are going towards the FEB Challenge! See ya on the new thread!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page