Welcome 2007: January Decluttering Challenge... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 459 Old 01-01-2007, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay I worked more in my closet and started on my dresser drawers, todays damage is:

Freecycled

Last years calendar
28 pieces of clothes
8 Magazines
1 Bottle of Perfume
42 Pieces of Jewerly
6 packs of gum
3 Star Wars post cards

Recycled

2 Bags of Papers

Threw Out

5 Pair of Underwear

Brings my total to 132/1000
#62 of 459 Old 01-01-2007, 04:44 PM

Count me in. I will set my goal for 150. I need to get rid of a lot of unwanted items to prepare for a move in the summer of 2007.
#63 of 459 Old 01-01-2007, 05:27 PM

I feel I'm off to a good start

Given to friends/family:
16 VHS moives (I haven't even owned a VCR in 8 months lol)
1 unopened package of maternity pads
6 glass bowls
1 package of nail polishes and tools for doing nails (opened but never even used it)
1 child's coat
23 Christmas tree ornaments

48/400
#64 of 459 Old 01-01-2007, 05:31 PM

I have seen these threads but have never been a part of one. Decluttering is just my thing! I grew up in a very junk filled house so now I'm neurotic about getting rid of things. However, I wonder why I have so much to get rid of, and where all this stuff comes from, when I am constantly decluttering????

Ds got a train table for christmas so now there is no room for a bureau in his bedroom- so I have to clean out the closet and put the bureau in there. Just as I was getting him ready for nap, I got rid of 10 sweaters that we never wear, and a bag of baby gifts we never used.

While getting out christmas decorations I got rid of 1 full bag of items that are just kitsch that aren't meaningful.

Rapidly filling up a bag of kids' clothes that I've been hanging onto but really don't like and don't fit them well. As well as those baby hooded towels that really aren't very absorbant.

I would love to give them to shelters, do freecycle, craigslist, ebay, etc and maybe make some $ but it takes more time that I don't have. The easiest thing is to just dump it all at the thrift store.

ETA: I have no idea what number I should choose as a goal- 300? Ok, so that means I'm at ~36/300.
#65 of 459 Old 01-01-2007, 05:38 PM

So far so good - 50/300 for an interrupted hour or so of work. It was almost *all* expired medications/suppliments. Every time I'd buy a large supply of something, I'd get pregnant and not want to take anything! Lots of unopened things just got tossed. I need to do better about that on the *front* end. : I'm happy I'm 1/6 of the way to my goal after just one session!

Amy
Mom of 5 under 13
#66 of 459 Old 01-01-2007, 05:39 PM

Just went through the backdoor closet. Packed up 11 things for the resale shop and threw out 6 things.
#67 of 459 Old 01-01-2007, 05:57 PM

Thank god a thread was already started. I need to do this again. I never got to finish in November. December was way too busy for me. But now January is the right time. I plan on 500 but am hoping to get 750. I am sure I can get 500 just not sure if I have enough time to find 750. I am due with a new little guy in April so I want all the house to be in order by then. I have started today by getting a huge quilt project finished so I can send it to my great-grandmother-in-law. I am also unpacking from a trip. I am going to get rid of the girl baby clothes I dont want since I know I am having a boy this time. Lots and lots to do. Hopefully I will get something done tonight and I can post what I am getting rid of.
#68 of 459 Old 01-01-2007, 06:38 PM

I haven't really been counting but, I've given away 3 garbage bags full of clothing, and a full car load of things found in my basement(full sets of pots and pans, sporting equipment, bags, knick-knacks, home decor pictures, kitchen equipment we never use) this past month. I guess I'd say I'm at somewhere around the 100 mark.

It feels so great to be rid of it all, but I feel like I still have so much to purge. It is so addicting once you get going at it all. I've also found that seeing empty storage space in my tiny house is like winning some sort of prize. I'm so proud of myself and am constantly calling DH to come see my newest clutter free drawer. Somehow he never get's as excited as me... BUT, he did tell me how cool it was to beable to find everything in the kitchen the other day when he was cooking breakfast. So I guess he appriciates it.

I'm sure I'll keep purging room by room and then start over again. I already can't wait to get rid of more clothes... so I don't think I need to set a goal number just yet.
#69 of 459 Old 01-01-2007, 06:52 PM

Ok I am sooo in!

My goal is 200 items. I have been giving away alot in December and wasn't keeping track but I still have alot to get rid of and we want to move this summer. I have finally decided to get rid of most of DS's baby clothes and my maternity clothes (hopefully that will mean that I will get pregnant soon ). So far today I have given away:

1 blowdryer
13 mugs

So 14 items- yeah! Just keep going.

Mama to two loqacious and bouncy boys.
#70 of 459 Old 01-01-2007, 07:32 PM

Ok, we're moving in a few months to a house that's about 30% smaller, and we have so much stuff that has to go. I threw out/donated/regifted/sold tons of stuff in December. I lost count. 2 van loads to GoodWill, 1 to Once Upon a Child, tons in the trash, etc.

I'm going to say 500 things this month. I hope I can find time to do it. I feel so much better getting rid of things. It is such a better feeling than accumulating things.
#71 of 459 Old 01-01-2007, 08:57 PM

I'm in- my goal is 250 items.
#72 of 459 Old 01-01-2007, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelLucas View Post
...What is a TREASURE MAP? I looked on the thread you posted in the OP but I didn't get a good idea of what it is still. Please help!?
Apparrently, a long-standing tradition herer at MDC! This quote is from the thread for the 2006 Treasure Map.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
For those who don't know... the treasure map is when you take a bunch of pictures, drawing, photos, colors.. and make a collage on a poster board OF ALL the things you want in your life for the next year.

Astrologically it lines up with the Aries New Moon (Not the first day of spring by the way...). You have about 4 days to make the map. DON'T START IT BEFORE!!! It is made after the new aries moon begins. Which by the way, this year is so early in the morning.

this is a period where you allow yourself to dream, dream big, allow your self to want things.. write them down, put up a poem, put up a photo, put up that which sets up your ideal experiences for this new year.

here is the link to 2005's Treasure Map thread.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...light=treasure
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekblad8 View Post
I got rid of bunches today. Can I count it for 2007?? And does returning stuff to their previous owner count?
Of course, and yes. Really, just make rules that work for you!

I think it's so funny there are so many posters on New Year's Day working on decluttering. I thoght I was a bit off spending my holiday like that, but really, it's exactly what I want to be doing.

All the best to you flinging mama's in the New Clutter Free Year of 2007!

Fling!Fling!Fling!
#73 of 459 Old 01-01-2007, 09:35 PM

After lurking on the threads for several months, I've decided to officially join in and count the items we get rid of. Since I'm going back to work full time this month, I'll aim low - say 150. Can't wait to get started!
#74 of 459 Old 01-01-2007, 10:11 PM

I'm in - not so much for a certain # of items, but to keep up with the papers, etc.

Today:

Took out a bunch of stuff to the trash. Mostly paper/catalog stuff, but I'd also cleaned out the fridge. The box my (live) wreath came in. Threw out my poinsetta (I kept forgetting to water it, so it died within two weeks - I have a BLACK thumb). Ditched some partly used cleaning supplies, shampoo, etc., I didn't like. Pitched the remainer of a pie that I didn't eat.

I had two drinking glasses left. One broke, so I just pitched the other one, too! I have some larger mugs and they're all I drink out of.

Christmas decorations are still up since I leave them up until Theophany (Epiphany). Then I'll throw away the real wreath. The other decorations are very minimal - 3 wooden 12" high Christmas trees and a string of lights.

lady.gif
#75 of 459 Old 01-01-2007, 10:42 PM

Thank you for the treasure map info!

So far I have done 87/500 items! Woo hoo!

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#76 of 459 Old 01-01-2007, 11:43 PM

Count me in for 200 BIG TICKET items for January.
I've already begun!!
#77 of 459 Old 01-01-2007, 11:58 PM

I am going to try for 500. Made a good start New Years Eve but the stuff isn/t out the door yet. Clothes, magazines, excess xmas mess, toys my daughter has outgrown. Haven't counted yet. I am getting so into it but we really have a tom of stuff to go through.
#78 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 12:23 AM

Cleaned out the closets today!

previous: 48/400

donated:
1 coat
3 tshirts
1 pair of underwear (DDs)
5 pairs of pants
3 PJ tops
2 PJ bottoms
5 long sleeve shirts
1 pair of shorts

Recycled:
3 magazines

Current: 72/400
#79 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 01:50 AM

This is going to be my first challenge - I saw the December one at the end of the month, and it really inspired me. Still, I'm going to start slow...100 items for me this month, then, who knows how much for February? Hopefully, I'll get the hang of this and bump that number up substantially.
#80 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 02:25 AM

I'm getting rid of half the shoes in my closet that I can't and don't wear. This is mostly due to the fact that my insoles won't fit in them. Is anyone a fan of Keen shoes? Those are now my fav shoe in the world AND my insoles will fit in them nicely.
#81 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 02:36 AM

Well, I'm off to a good start. DH and I cleaned out one tiny kitchen cupboard today and I found a few larger items to get rid of, plus we determined that our old crockpot could go, since the new, much bigger one works well.

So...

Freecycled:
10 misc. kitchen items
1 hideous bowl with a cat picture on it
1 crockpot
1 woven basket with flowers, also hideous

Recycled:
4 magazines

Threw out:
6 misc. kitchen items that were so broken or disgusting no one would want them (which begs the question - why did we have them still?)

Total to date:

23/150. Yay!
#82 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 02:39 AM

Today I've cleared out 1 garbage bag of clothes to donate, 1 box of diapering stuff for the consignment store and one bag of garbage. I'm up to 10/20 boxes/bags. Not bad considering it's only the 1st!

. : Jill, mama to 5 kiddos, soon to be 6 in June 2013 : .

#83 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 03:21 AM

Oh rats! I don't feel like I can count the stuff I cleared out of the hall closet a few days ago in good faith (though I did clear an extra shelf, so now all our sheets and towels aren't crammed in on one tiny shelf anymore!). My goal for the month is 500.

I AM going to count the stuff I'm trying to Freecycle out at the moment, so my current total is:

1 unused bottle of perfume
6 packages of birth/nursing supplements
9 items of clothing returned to store (almost $300 in credit, woohoo!)
----------------
16/500

I just read through the treasure map thread and got a bit of a buzz off it, so I'll spend the next few months preparing for sure.

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#84 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 04:54 AM

woohooo, worked on taking down the christmas stuff and cleaning out the coat closet today. two more bags of stuff going to goodwill. plus, our recycling can is full and i still have a bunch more to put in it after trash pickup tomorrow!! this decluttering is addictive. i hope i can keep my steam up for the entire month . . .

Mama to three sweet girls (a dramatic, chatty 10yo, a bouncy, dynamo of a 7yo, and a delightful, whimsical 3.5yo)
#85 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

I'll do 750 items this round, I went for 500 in December and had no problem at all reaching it, I surpassed it by more than 100. I know we have 750 items here, but they're more covert and pernicious---things shoved in drawers and in plastic storage containers. This thread is off to a rockin' and rollin' start!

Quote:
Originally Posted by renaissanceed View Post
After lurking on the threads for several months, I've decided to officially join in and count the items we get rid of. Since I'm going back to work full time this month, I'll aim low - say 150. Can't wait to get started!

Welcome! I'm excited to see what your impression is after lurking for so long. I think you'll find it addictive and liberating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanibell View Post
I'm getting rid of half the shoes in my closet that I can't and don't wear. This is mostly due to the fact that my insoles won't fit in them. Is anyone a fan of Keen shoes? Those are now my fav shoe in the world AND my insoles will fit in them nicely.

Yes, when I first discovered them I went overboard and bought like 3 pair. The only problem with them is that they don't have a "dressy" style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renaissanceed View Post
Well, I'm off to a good start. DH and I cleaned out one tiny kitchen cupboard today and I found a few larger items to get rid of, plus we determined that our old crockpot could go, since the new, much bigger one works well.

So...

Freecycled:
10 misc. kitchen items
1 hideous bowl with a cat picture on it
1 crockpot
1 woven basket with flowers, also hideous

Recycled:
4 magazines

Threw out:
6 misc. kitchen items that were so broken or disgusting no one would want them (which begs the question - why did we have them still?)

Total to date:

23/150. Yay!

This bowl belongs with the two cat face tea bag rests i decluttered last month AND the six cork cat faced coasters....I'm not a cat "thing" collector--really!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtokay View Post
woohooo, worked on taking down the christmas stuff and cleaning out the coat closet today. two more bags of stuff going to goodwill. plus, our recycling can is full and i still have a bunch more to put in it after trash pickup tomorrow!! this decluttering is addictive. i hope i can keep my steam up for the entire month . . .

It is so totally addicting. And yes, it's really easy to keep up steam. For me, I'd declutter like mad for a day or two, then take a breather. However, when I would come here and see that people's totals were continuing to grow, I wanted to play along so I'd find something to start cleaning. I even have a tiny decluttering notebook I would list my items in so I would be sure I wouldn't forget anything.

Also, told a friend that I got rid of over 600 items last month and she looked at me with amazement (this is a super-person who has NO CLUTTER anywhere in her life). It made me wonder, how could I have gotten rid of so many items and have it not affect me one iota---and there is still a lot of work to do.

Fling!
Fling!Fling!
#86 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 10:57 AM

I'll be lurking this month.
I'm doing the pantry and no spend challenges so that will declutter and not add at least.
There's some x-mas stuff that I should get rid of, as well as some things to be shipped out.
I also want to post some stuff for sale in the trading post.
All in all I ~could~ set a goal of 150 items.

I don't want to set a goal I am not 100% commited to though.

I'll be watching and learning

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#87 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 11:02 AM

Wow. I'm completely inspired by y'all! Although we've DESPERATELY needed to declutter for .... uh .... years, it never occurred to me to commit to a declutter challenge until today. Since I've gotten rid of a BUNCH of stuff in the last 24 hours, I'm going to set my first goal at 750. I KNOW I can meet that, no problem. Here's what I did yesterday/today:

1 bag of clothes to Goodwill (approx. 25 items)
1 basket of old papers & junk mail in the trash (approx. 25 items)
1 box of kitchen-themed toys sent to my mom's house (approx. 50 items)

Ticker so far: 100/750

This is FUN!!

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#88 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 12:45 PM

I'm in!

I found that making a larger goal and carrying over totals month to month kept me more motivated last time around. So I'm making an entire 2007 goal; 5000 items. I did 1000 in November-December alone, so this seems reasonable for 12 months.

The plan is to make major house changes this year - Dd gets moved into her own room (now currently occupied by Dh's crapola) and the basement will get finished off to make a playroom (now currently occupied by Dh's crapola). So I will have plenty of opportunities!

So far: 10

Including 1 birthtub bartered to my midwife for homebirth services, and 4 assorted serving plates returned to my mother. Fun!
#89 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 01:16 PM

I have a lot of unused stuff. and I got rid of some yesterday and I'm going to get back to it right now...
I want to clean out my closet.
pull the broken futon out of the bedroom
continue to organize the kids toys.
Put away the 10 loads of clean laundry on my couch...

long term:
I want to keep the clutter down. (damn goodwill for having stuff I want)
I want to manifest a home with more storage space. (we have none)
I plan on continueing hte cleaning momentum I started yesterday.

mother to E-(8).... A-(6) .... & N-(5)
Vivian Claire born 3-11-10.... ...still an , extendedmomma :
#90 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavournin View Post
Including 1 birthtub bartered to my midwife...
NICE!!!!

I'm up to 26/500--a Freecycler stopped by this morning.

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page