Welcome 2007: January Decluttering Challenge... - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd like to completely declutter my closet and give away all the items that no longer fit, and toss items such as ratty old underwear, old shoes, lone socks. Also I need to get my perfume and makeup collection under control (which is also in my closet). Then I want to work on the living room. I have lots of old magazines that I don't really need, including years of Real Simple mag (they've put a lot of their back issues online which is great!).

I'm sure I can get rid of 500 items total.

Hannah
#92 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 02:30 PM

I'm just getting started, very slowly.

Sent 4 things with DD to preschool for crafts.
Listed 4 things on freecycle.

I have about 4 bags of clothes to give to charity, so I'll have to list those as bags instead of the dozens of things in them. I'm sure I can add to them though.

I have 3 bags of stuff to be recycled that I accumulated, that I'll put in my car in the morning.

Right now that's 4/100 but there's much more on it's way out.
#93 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 02:47 PM

I am starting some major decluttering as of today. Let's just say that freecycle is going to get a 'it's on the curb come and get it before the garbage man does' message from me.

I'm starting with my stuff and the kitchen and radiating out. Let's just say yesterday I had an eppiphany of sorts. If I don't get my own stuff decluttered how can I expect to get everyone else's stuff in order? Yeah a duh moment I know! I did a mental 'doh!'

So today it will be my closet, drawers clothes books etc. And, I will be hitting the silverware drawer since we just got a new (actually complete) hand me down set of silverware that serves all of us instead of the mismatched peace mealed together set we had. the silverware drawer is bowing under the weight of it all so it's time for the old stuff to go. So that is that What the count id going to be I don't know. I'm not setting a goal since there is so much to get rid of I'm just going to keep a running tally.
#94 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 02:53 PM

i'm in! again!
my goal for december was 500 and i think i reached 250, so i'm going to have the same goal
we'll be moving in the spring and i need to get ready for that!

Obstruct livery vehicles!

#95 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 03:29 PM

i'm joining you all - i'm going for 400 in january. off to tackle the kitchen...
#96 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am starting (for what seems like the millionth, and, I hope will be the last time) in my bedroom and decluttering one room per month.

So, I won't set a numeric goal, but I will keep a running list of everything I remove from my room this month.

So far:

1 bag of rubbish (hey, it's a start!)

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#97 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 03:43 PM

This really is addictive, I can't stop looking around and getting rid of things!

So far today- and I still have all afternoon/eve-

-returned bag of loaned baby clothes and gave the people some of our outgrown clothes for their baby (I think I will count bags as "10" even though they are probably more than that)

-baby tub seat, 2 toys, 5 more books,

-neck pillow made by previous chiropractor that never worked for me

-old LLL handouts from 1996

-3 care bear stuffed animals my kids have never looked at

-stacks of dh's old computer magazines that have been sitting in the baby's room

-3 yr old tube of sunscreen

So let's say that was 34, and 36 yesterday- 70/300

I also listed some diapers for sale, and some books on paperbackswap.com but since they're not actually sold yet I"ll hold off on counting them.

And I still have the baby's room to clear out (was our storage space so has lots of old papers/clothes/junk in there), many junk drawers, VHS tapes, 2 closets, and much more.....I'm realizing that we have tons of unused storage space- a lot of it is being taken up by poorly organized random items.
#98 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
hi Annemarie and I am clutter challenged. I have decided enough is enough. My worst problem is laundry. I have too much... way too much. I had 8 huge garbage bags filled with clothes to wash. went through them and have made it only 3 so I am going to try this declutter challenge thing here. Im going to say 200 items. and not bad I have 5/200 hey its a start

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
#99 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 04:35 PM

2 matresses
1 trundle

= 3 items gotten rid of.

Hmm. I think I'll make my goal to be 200 mainly because I work overnights and it's just too freaking hard for me to be motivated enough to get rid of 500.

--------
197 to go.

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
#100 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittn View Post
hi Annemarie and I am clutter challenged. I have decided enough is enough. My worst problem is laundry. I have too much... way too much. I had 8 huge garbage bags filled with clothes to wash. went through them and have made it only 3 so I am going to try this declutter challenge thing here. Im going to say 200 items. and not bad I have 5/200 hey its a start
Maybe you should start a spinoff thread called the "January Laundry Challenge" .

I just read a really good thread I can't remember where exactly, about keeping a limited amount of outfits for each child s o laundry can't pile up (clothes have to be washed 'cause there aren't any clean to wear).

I'll try and locate it---it sounds like it might have some useful ideas for you---plus with baby on the way, you'll need a plan....
#101 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixenmama View Post
Maybe you should start a spinoff thread called the "January Laundry Challenge" .

I just read a really good thread I can't remember where exactly, about keeping a limited amount of outfits for each child s o laundry can't pile up (clothes have to be washed 'cause there aren't any clean to wear).

I'll try and locate it---it sounds like it might have some useful ideas for you---plus with baby on the way, you'll need a plan....
hey any help I can get on getting this under control is welcome. I got this bad habit from my mom. I can get rid of just about anything guilt free except clothes.I mean really DS1 does not need 19 pairs of jeans

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
#102 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellyaellen View Post
Well I'm in. I'm not going to count by individual item either though. I'll go by bag/box/container.

I just dropped of 3 bags of stuff at good will this week. If I go through my papers I bet I can throw away at least 1 bag. I have 3 boxes boxed up and ready to ship that i'm going to e-bay. I gave 1 box of stuff to a mama to be friend of mine. So that makes 8 boxes total so far. I'm going to go with a small challenge and say I can find 15 bags/boxes to give/donate/sell or throw away.

I'm going to take today and tommorrow and do some purging in my dd's room. I know I can find 3 boxes worth in there. It really needs it and I think it will be eaisier for her if I do it now while she's visiting my dad. So she can have a clean slate this year to work with.

It really is exciting now that i've hit the point where I can start to see the space around my stuff ykwim? I have looked enviously at these challenges before and now I'm ready!

UPDATE

Well today I sold some books to our local used bookstore for $19!!! They didn't take most of what I brought in so I've got 3 boxes in the car but they are ready to donate to the library (wich is still closed for new years' argh!) I dropped of 3 boxes at good will.

I didn't actually get around to working in dd's room the other day :
or going through any paperwork :

but i sorted through the trunk of the car so it is clear for hauling

I went through some of whats in the garage and decided what to donate what to keep what to sell. decided its ok to sell the carseat b/c i have my eye on a different model for the next baby anyway.

so my total that has actually left the house is at 7.
then i have a total of 7 more boxes that I am commited to getting out of the house via donation and e-bay or tp.
we brought a box home from dh's dads' last night though but it was mostly stuff that will get used though.

I'm thinking about upping my goal to 25 boxes of stuff

ok off to read what all ya'll are doing
#103 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boheime View Post
oooo..the garage. Yeah, I've been decluttering all our stuff INTO the garage to get it out of the house - so all the stuff that we have decluttered needs to get out of the garage and elswhere...
I've been doing this too...I actually did a few yardsales but the time has come for me to just let go of most of it. (some things that are unique or useful I'm selling but from now on my e-bay stuff is going to limited to a very small space in my pantry)
#104 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 05:49 PM

Well, I was just going to lurk all month and feel lighter vicariously through the good efforts of others, but....

since my other resolutions have already failed to make it to the second day of the year, I will have to sign up!

Today I can count 10 out of my eventual goal of 300
#105 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 05:52 PM

i just had to share this with ya'll:

dh "rescued" the 2005-2006 phonebook from the trash TWICE guess we'll be keeping that

and i forgot that i did sort out a few of her too small shirts for giving away. and forgot about a (very small) box i tossed in the trash. it was full of holey socks.

my current tally then is

8 boxes gone
7 boxes and 1 big ticket item (carseat) commited to go
1 box came in :
#106 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 05:56 PM

Okay, I am trying to pace myself and not go on rampages...So I went through my housecloth, it really is insane to think how much cloth I have. I have put aside just about everything for cloth because it was reusing. But now I can fit the diapers in with my house cloth, I have a nice shelf for this. Which freed up a basket which I had been keeping the diapers for the baby...So 31 kitchen cloths, so far at least. I have enough there and when I go through my laundry that needs to be folded I might end up with more. And I went through my scary room(the room I have been piling things into) and got a decent bag of garbage and 19 toys. After I got rid of 31 cloths I figured i would try to get rid of 50 things today. I might be changing my goal of 200. That was a little too easy. So I am a fourth of the way to my goal. So now I am going to do my laundry for the day, the dishes and maybe do another 20 clothes items. Trying to work small, trying so very hard...
#107 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 06:05 PM

Update:

Today to the salvation army went:
1 kitchen playset
1 christmas tree stand
3 christmas dcoration items
1 baby toy
2 pairs of shoes
60 books (childrens and adults)
-----------------------------------
69 items!! :

I also posted 6 items (all toys) on Craigslist, so hopefully they will sell quickly and be out of here!!
#108 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 06:17 PM

Bags upon bags of holiday catalogues and newspapers out for recycling this morning, all the holiday boxes broken down and put out, random sweeps of three rooms resulting in bits and pieces thrown away. . . .

And two heads of hair shorn, while we're at it! (Does that count as decluttering? I certainly feel less burdened!)

http://ynfytyn.livejournal.com/279432.html

(I didn't count the hair. Heck, I haven't mailed it off for donation yet! But I did count the two broken-but-still-useable hairbrushes I tossed.)
#109 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 06:26 PM

Holy Cow!!!!!!
that is some hard-core decluttering.
You mean some serious business, hats off to ya!
#110 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommietime View Post
Holy Cow!!!!!!
that is some hard-core decluttering.
You mean some serious business, hats off to ya!
No, no, no -- hats ON. It's cold out there!
#111 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 06:39 PM

Well I've decluttered *80* items out of my wardrobe!!! :

I didn't realise that it was as bad as that!!! I've listed the *huge* bag with everything to the local buy sell trade list since I'd like to get something out of it so that I can get a few things (non clutter items I swear!) to start pampering myself since I deserve it.

I can see my closet floor though and found a couple of pairs of missing shoes!

I'm going to hit the kitchen and declutter there when I make dinner and finish hitting my clothes while I fold the clean laundry.
#112 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 06:54 PM

nak,
subbing,
will add more later
#113 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittn View Post
hey any help I can get on getting this under control is welcome. I got this bad habit from my mom. I can get rid of just about anything guilt free except clothes.I mean really DS1 does not need 19 pairs of jeans
check out this thread---so much good information I won't try and summarize---but yeah, if they have less to wear you wash more often, but never get to the "mount washmore" stage (yeah, that's a flylady expression....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellyaellen View Post
i just had to share this with ya'll:

dh "rescued" the 2005-2006 phonebook from the trash TWICE guess we'll be keeping that

and i forgot that i did sort out a few of her too small shirts for giving away. and forgot about a (very small) box i tossed in the trash. it was full of holey socks.

my current tally then is

8 boxes gone
7 boxes and 1 big ticket item (carseat) commited to go
1 box came in :

Try writing him a "Dear John" letter from the phonebook...."Dear Dh, this last year has been wonderful and amazing in so many ways---I'm so glad I was able to be there for you, but now I just have the feeling that it's time to move on, and I'm sure very soon another like me will come along and fill the void, Love 2005-2006 yellow pages".
#114 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 07:10 PM

I'm in.

My goal will be:

* 6 boxes of stuff to Goodwill (or ARC, whoever's most convenient)
* (at least) 2 bags of garbage to the dump.

I don't wanna count items, and this'll give me incentive to actually start putting stuff in the car for Goodwill rather than piling it up downstairs 'just in case' (dh is way too attached to some stuff - he started freaking out when I culled the kitchen implement drawer... I do 85% of the cooking and 95% of the dishwashing, I *know* what actually gets used).

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#115 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 07:16 PM

I am setting my goal for 150.

On Jan 2 I took to thrift store:
2 pots
1 lid
1 potty chair
2 breakfast in bed trays (lol - when would those get used again?)
1 cutting board
1 microwave (let's see how long it takes dh to notice - lol)
3 plastic hangers
1 top
1 dress
1 blanket
1 wipe warmer
1 toy bag
1 pair ballet slippers
1 leotard
4 coffee mugs
1 doll
1 box of nursing pads
Running total: 23 items/150

Go Green I don't vax either, why mess with perfect?
#116 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 08:01 PM

previous: 72/400

Donated:
1 christmas stocking
3 textbooks from college
2 children's books
1 knife block
1 mirror
1 easter picture frame
4 candles
2 thimbles
1 unicorn figurine
1 book end
1 children's mirror with a picture sketched on it
1 2007 calendar
1 incense holder
3 figurines
2 fold-up laundry hampers
1 candle holder
4 teacups
1 cream holder
1 sugar holder
4 glass dishes
1 bell
1 bookmark
1 makeup case
1 coupon organizer
1 blanket
2 mini drawer organizers
1 disney purse
1 musical piggy bank
3 christmas ornaments
2 potpouri bags
1 glass ring holder
1 package of temp tattoos

current total: 124/400

This is so much fun!
#117 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 10:20 PM

I'm in. And by that I really mean I'm subbing to the thread. We're still in the midst of moving in our new place, and with my babes to arrive in spring, I'm certainly in a decluttering mode. But I'm also taking it easy on myself for those 2 reasons.

I'm glad to have this thread and other challenges to remind and inspire me to keep on the decluttering track.

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**
#118 of 459 Old 01-02-2007, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittn

This is how we got the dishes under control. We can only fit a small number of dishes in the kitchen cupboards now that most of them have been torn down. As a result, we have to wash dishes every day! I imagine it would work well with laundry too...

Speaking of laundry, DH and I went through his tshirts again today. The scary thing is we did this in late September and got rid of 15 or so. Today, we got rid of another 10, to be given to Sally Ann.

So, updated total is:

23 previous
10 new
--

33/150 items done!!!

Thanks for all the support! Good to see those houses being cleared and hear about other areas that I need to tackle.
#119 of 459 Old 01-03-2007, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VnJW View Post
Okay, I am trying to pace myself and not go on rampages...
LOL, rampage is exactly what I'm on!

I did a major scrub of our bedroom, which was covered in dust- when we looked up and saw huge spider webs hanging from the ceiling fan, I knew it was time to clean! So in the midst of that, I got rid of,

1 pair of sandals that just never really worked

big pile of dh's t shirts, underwear, and socks that the elastic wore out on that he stuffed beside the bureau

more women's clothes that someone gave me postpartum, that I'm admitting will never fit me

makeup mirror/light taking up tons of space on my bureau

pair of scrubs

I"ll estimate 13 more items. 83/300 and it's only the 2nd!
#120 of 459 Old 01-03-2007, 12:17 AM

OK. We're in! This is a bit confronting, but we (me and my wife, KTCL on here) are in for 200. We're aiming high because, as she says, "it's a challenge!"

We live in a small apt with little storage (except the deadly basement ), so hopefully this will free up some much-needed space, both physical and mental.

I love it already!

So, today I sold 10 books at the used bookstore. 190 to go!

megin

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page