Welcome 2007: January Decluttering Challenge... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 459 Old 12-31-2006, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy New Year Mamas, let's start the new year off right by clearing out every little thing that's not blessing our lives.

For January, set your own goal 150? 300? 500? 750? 1500? What can you let go of to make space for peace, serenity and blessings in your life?

Do you have crafts that have gone long uncrafted? Do you have pantries full of dishes and food that's been hanging around unused for years?

How about the bathroom? Closets?

You can freecycle, craigslist, donate and plain old discard.

I know that in early April will be the right time for the "treasure map" exercise to intentionally create our experience this year. The time between now and then is perfect for cleaning up and clearing out and preparing.

List your items here to keep motivated and see what kinds of things others are letting go of. If you're intimidated, set a modest goal. If you exceed it you'll feel soooo successful!
#2 of 459 Old 12-31-2006, 01:14 AM

I will probably set my goal at around 350 for January. I've gotten rid of at least 1500 since mid November. I'm starting to run out of things to get rid of I'm glad you mentioned craft items, though, b/c I have a ton of scrapbooking stuff that I will probably never get back to. I need to get rid of that stuff for sure. Before that, though, I need to finish my closet and bathroom before baby arrives.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#3 of 459 Old 12-31-2006, 01:17 AM

I'm SO on board that I've already started looking for things I'm going to aim for 150 things. I already have a trip planned to the Salvation Army for next week to drop things off.
#4 of 459 Old 12-31-2006, 01:43 AM

#5 of 459 Old 12-31-2006, 01:50 AM

Actually, I'm going to live daringly. Let's make my goal 400!
#6 of 459 Old 12-31-2006, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekblad8 View Post
I will probably set my goal at around 350 for January. I've gotten rid of at least 1500 since mid November. I'm starting to run out of things to get rid of I'm glad you mentioned craft items, though, b/c I have a ton of scrapbooking stuff that I will probably never get back to. I need to get rid of that stuff for sure. Before that, though, I need to finish my closet and bathroom before baby arrives.
I have lots of craft stuff too...Maybe if you get a big container for it all or bag up what you'd like to pass on you could list it in the trading post for $$ or trade---not to create more work for you---LOL! Ok, forget I said that, just bag it up and donate it. I have soo many craft items---I'm great at decluttering but I tend to hang on to the crafty stuff---even if I'm not using it!
#7 of 459 Old 12-31-2006, 02:08 AM

hey v-mama thanks for the thread! did you start an improvement one as well?

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#8 of 459 Old 12-31-2006, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2babybeans View Post
hey v-mama thanks for the thread! did you start an improvement one as well?
yep! link's in the siggy!
#9 of 459 Old 12-31-2006, 02:18 AM

I'm a newbie but I am soooo ready! I'm going to start with a goal of 100 things.

Unfortunately, my DH is a lot more attached to stuff than I am. He basically thinks we should hold on to everything that crosses our paths, especially gifts. Anybody have any advice for dealing with such a situation?
#10 of 459 Old 12-31-2006, 02:35 AM

I am going to do my first challenge. Oh wish me luck. Last time it was too much for me to count, I didn't want to think about it just let it go. I know how many bags left my house, but not the item number. I think this time I might be ready. This probably isn't the way to go about it, but I have had a hard time setting aside some time to go through things. So I have just been throwing random things in our spare room. I kinda plan to throw just about everything that is lying around our house into that room and spend the day in there sorting into trash, donate, keep piles. That way it is kinda removed from the area and i can look at it in a detached way. I am not sure if it is going to work, but I know my house is looking less cluttered and I am liking that, so I think I am going to have to think hard if I want to put more stuff into that pile.
Also, a technical question. When I did my first sweep I put aside two boxes of kitchen stuff. My husband had a hard time with this and our compromise was that we would keep it down in the basement for so many months and if we didn't go into it we would get rid of it. Well, if I get rid of it this time, does that count for my count this time??? I know I could make it be however I want, but I was just wondering how other people thought...
My goal, I am going to start small, since I really have no clue how much 100 items is, 200 items. That is what I want to get rid of this month.
My husband did give me some incentive, though I know it is just his way of putting off a conversation. He told me we could consider getting rid of the couch if I finished the decluttering He thinks he is tricking me. But I plan for him to be so flabbergasted over the state of our house that he might actually consider it. Wish me luck
#11 of 459 Old 12-31-2006, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VnJW View Post
Also, a technical question. When I did my first sweep I put aside two boxes of kitchen stuff. My husband had a hard time with this and our compromise was that we would keep it down in the basement for so many months and if we didn't go into it we would get rid of it. Well, if I get rid of it this time, does that count for my count this time???
I would count it, since it's still in your house and I will count anything that goes out that door!
#12 of 459 Old 12-31-2006, 03:00 AM

I'm in. We've been decluttering for ages...and I'm feeling like we've hit the nitty-gritty, "I'm torn over this," "I'm attached to this" stuff.

I'll go big...400! (It was just Xmas...so that makes it a bit easier to approach.)
#13 of 459 Old 12-31-2006, 03:03 AM

This is a GREAT idea...I am gonna aim for 150 things...since my apartment is small, and I am constantly gettin rid of bags and boxes of stuff.
#14 of 459 Old 12-31-2006, 06:53 AM

Subbing.
I've read the past 2 challenges, and I'll try to join this month. I'll set my goal low, around 100, but hope to pass it.
#15 of 459 Old 12-31-2006, 09:58 AM

I'm in - I will formulate my goals today. I have a bunch I am thinking anout but I need to prioritze and decide which ones I really want to focus on.
#16 of 459 Old 12-31-2006, 10:51 AM

I'm in! Setting my goal at around 150. We are in the process of going through our storage boxes and getting rid of stuff, we did a bunch yesterday already...should have saved it a few more days. (Although, it is still in the house so i guess technically I can count it as being gone in January? Hmmm, maybe I will increase my goal to 200...)
#17 of 459 Old 12-31-2006, 12:22 PM

I'm in! We took a big load to Goodwill yesterday, I purged all my clothes that having been hanging around forever. I sent 67 shirts, 30 pants, 6 shoes and 4 purses to goodwill. I also gave away bags of things to 5 friends. So probably double that total. My closet is DONE! Now onto the kids stuff and all the other rooms, especially the kitchen. I'm going to say 300 things. I'm also going to be reorganizing the toys. I've already purged them, but I need to seperate out and store the things that are too young for my oldest and too old for my youngest, so they aren't in the way.
#18 of 459 Old 12-31-2006, 12:39 PM

subbing!

I want 1000. I did 500 no problem last year when I created the 500 item challenge and as I recall as a group we had well over 10,000 items that were taken out of the house. A lot of paypal wasd raised as I recall too!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#19 of 459 Old 12-31-2006, 01:15 PM

I'll say 200 for starters, mainly because yesterday I got rid of (by trashing, freecycling etc.) 6 trash bags full of stuff. So my bathroom, the kitchen, and the living room don't need any more decluttering. I just need to do the other bathroom, the bedroom, and Jacob's room.

200 is a LOW goal lol.
#20 of 459 Old 12-31-2006, 02:42 PM

I'm in for 500 this month.

I better go get started....
#21 of 459 Old 12-31-2006, 03:20 PM

I'm not setting a number (because then I would actually have to take the time to count my stuff). Instead, I just want to get as much as possible out!

I'm counting this weekend as part of January to give myself a headstart. We've done really well about decluttering, so the house is not too bad. Last night..I did get dh to agree to part from all of his taped Red Wings games (we don't even have a VCR hooked up anymore). Plus, we had a tub of Little People stuff in the storage room. They were there because we don't generally have plastic toys, but dh didn't want to just donate them. So, most of those are going over to the ILs house tomorrow so that the kids can still occassionally play with them (as opposed to now when we never have them out)- and not have MIL bringing out old water damaged toys (probably hidden mold) from when dh and his brothers were kids.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#22 of 459 Old 12-31-2006, 04:33 PM

I'm all over this. But like another poster...I don't want to have to count so I'll say I'm going to purge 1/3 of our household items. I really need to get into our mb closet and also the kitchen...I have alot of pots and pans/tupperware that could go. Dh and I did great in awesome. I took a car full to the bargain box and 3 loads went to the dump, plus I've freecycled like mad! Very excited. I thought I'd struggle more with this, but I actually feel lighter letting go of some of this stuff.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#23 of 459 Old 12-31-2006, 04:35 PM

ok, I'm in for 200 plus I want empty space available in every closet.
#24 of 459 Old 12-31-2006, 04:50 PM

I have a small family (just me and toddler DD) and a small house apartment, so I'll have to go small with 75. I actually can't imagine finding 75 things I can weed out, so this will be a challenge for me. It's time to go through the baby's toys, so this will motivate me.
#25 of 459 Old 12-31-2006, 05:13 PM

Im in and have started today. Now since this is my first I have to ask do you count per item or per bag??

Thanks! I'll post my number when I find out the answer
#26 of 459 Old 12-31-2006, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulbambina View Post
Im in and have started today. Now since this is my first I have to ask do you count per item or per bag??

Thanks! I'll post my number when I find out the answer
Usually it's per item But if you have a drawer full of papers, you might not want to count every piece of paper, so you could count it as one or five, etc.

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#27 of 459 Old 12-31-2006, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixenmama View Post
yep! link's in the siggy!

#28 of 459 Old 12-31-2006, 05:36 PM

Ok Im going to go high since its January & I have the decluttering fever I'll say 1000

Today Ive gotten rid of

9 Magazines
6 Misc
7 Toys
4 Pair of Shoes
10 hangers

36 items so far today by cleaning out most of our closet
#29 of 459 Old 12-31-2006, 05:40 PM

Well I'm in. I'm not going to count by individual item either though. I'll go by bag/box/container.

I just dropped of 3 bags of stuff at good will this week. If I go through my papers I bet I can throw away at least 1 bag. I have 3 boxes boxed up and ready to ship that i'm going to e-bay. I gave 1 box of stuff to a mama to be friend of mine. So that makes 8 boxes total so far. I'm going to go with a small challenge and say I can find 15 bags/boxes to give/donate/sell or throw away.

I'm going to take today and tommorrow and do some purging in my dd's room. I know I can find 3 boxes worth in there. It really needs it and I think it will be eaisier for her if I do it now while she's visiting my dad. So she can have a clean slate this year to work with.

It really is exciting now that i've hit the point where I can start to see the space around my stuff ykwim? I have looked enviously at these challenges before and now I'm ready!
#30 of 459 Old 12-31-2006, 05:49 PM

I'm in. My eventual goal is to empty the office and turn it into a dining room. The January part of this will be emptying my desk and getting rid of the desk itself.

mama to DS 9 and DD 5 and

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page