Need advice for organizing CDs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-06-2007, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am consolidating our CD collection to three thin storage binders in an effort to get rid of the plastic cases and create more space. We have about 200 CDs.

Does anyone have suggestions for the best ways to organize them? It makes sense to organize them by artist, but I don't necessarily want to alphabetize them because if we get one new CD then we'll have to shift the whole batch down!

Zachary (Jan. 16, 05), Blossom (Sept. 14, 08)
::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 01-06-2007, 09:08 PM

The only thing I can suggest is put the ones you play the most in a very easy to reach place.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#3 of 14 Old 01-06-2007, 09:20 PM

You may want to get a binder that lets you move the pages around. That way, instead of having to shift everything, you could occassionally rearrange pages.

For example, if you arranged by genre, you could add some CDs to your "pop" pages without wrecking your whole system, just by adding a page. You wouldn't have to shift every CD in the binders that way.

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
#4 of 14 Old 01-06-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitenites View Post
You may want to get a binder that lets you move the pages around. That way, instead of having to shift everything, you could occassionally rearrange pages.

For example, if you arranged by genre, you could add some CDs to your "pop" pages without wrecking your whole system, just by adding a page. You wouldn't have to shift every CD in the binders that way.
This is what we did. Boy, has it made a difference!

so many roads to ease my soul...

#5 of 14 Old 01-06-2007, 09:51 PM

You could also just put them in any old way, but rip them to your computer first. The organization is on your computer! Then if you want to listen to certain music it's super easy to find, and if you want to listen to it in your car or whatever you can burn yourself a cd of mp3's. Our cds are all in a couple of wallets and there are hundreds of them, and not that organized, but it doesn't matter because we rarely need a disc anymore.
#6 of 14 Old 01-07-2007, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitenites View Post
You may want to get a binder that lets you move the pages around.
Oops, I already purchased the binders and the pages are not adjustable. I don't think I can return them since I already threw away the packaging. Ah well, next time.

The whole storing them on the computer thing sounds like too much work...at least for me. I'm a bit impatient when it comes to techy computer things.

#7 of 14 Old 01-07-2007, 09:16 PM

Thats a good idea. I would like to do the same thing....hmmmm I think I will!
#8 of 14 Old 01-08-2007, 01:25 AM

Honestly, its really not very hard. Download musicmatch, its free, it has a 'copy to computer' button and it has a feature to organize your library, all the informaton on each CD is usually already downloadable from the internet, which MM does automatically.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#9 of 14 Old 01-08-2007, 02:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mine are alphabetized. Actually, I don't use them much because I mostly listen to them on my computer, and so most of them are downloaded to windows media player and nicely catalogued.

They're in a binder because when I was in the Navy I had no place to keep jewel cases. Sometimes I think I should just organize my life as if I was still in the Navy...

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#10 of 14 Old 01-08-2007, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymoo View Post
Honestly, its really not very hard. Download musicmatch, its free, it has a 'copy to computer' button and it has a feature to organize your library, all the informaton on each CD is usually already downloadable from the internet, which MM does automatically.
Then do you listen to them on the computer? I just have a laptop with dinky little speakers. I know I sound pathetic! Maybe my husband will take on this challenge...

#11 of 14 Old 01-08-2007, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaKalena View Post
Then do you listen to them on the computer? I just have a laptop with dinky little speakers. I know I sound pathetic! Maybe my husband will take on this challenge...
Well, I do a couple things. I can burn mix cds of them, just the songs I really like. They can be burned to play in any CD player or as an MP3 CD (which most new players play and can hold more songs). I can transfer them to an MP3 player (though I don't do this much personally). But mostly yeah I listen to them on my computer, I have a set of cheap computer speakers (like $20?) in the kitchen I just plug my laptop into to listen.

Mostly though I hardly listen to my CDs (or the ripped MP3s) anymore at all since I subscribed to the musicmatch on demand service - so I can listen to any song in their library, its like having a gigantic CD collection (with no clutter), so I listen to stuff off that most of the time.

#12 of 14 Old 01-08-2007, 04:47 PM

Our method of simplifying our CD collection involved getting an iPod. We were getting aggrivated with 1) the sheer amount of CDs (I was scared to count, but we combined our collections when we moved in together, and had to purchase a huge unit just to house them); and 2) the kids getting into them and using them as projectiles, which not only unorganizes them, but destroyed a few of them, too.

So I spent a weekend putting all of the CDs onto the iPod. We have since boxed up the CDs and put them into storage. The only reason I haven't sold them yet, is that I'm nervous about the mp3 player screwing up. But so far, so good. They're backed up on the computer, as well. And I've been meaning to look into it to see if they can be burned onto DVDs as another backup method (it should only take a few DVDs)

The iPod is great, because it eliminates so much clutter, and it saves time. Instead of tracking down the CD, keeping my fingers crossed that the right CD is in the case, loading the CD into the player, then trying to remember to put it back afterwards...I simply plug the iPod into the stereo. As a bonus, I can drag my entire CD collection down to the laundry room and plug it into the old stereo I have in there. Or I can drag the entire music collection into the car. Or take it to work. Or on the bus. You just can't do that with CDs!

I really do love this system.

But if you want to hang onto the CD's, I'd recommend a binder with removable sleeves. And I'd sort them alphabetically, because I know I'd be more inclined to flip through it that way, rather than trying to figure out what genre an obscure artist is.
#13 of 14 Old 01-08-2007, 06:33 PM

When we were in college, hubby kept his collection in binders and stored the cases at his parents' home.

He bought four cases. They were 100 CD cases and he had less than 400 CDs. He distributed his CDs evenly between the three, which allowed for extra space.

We have between 600 and 800 CDs now and keep them in their cases on 200-ish count wavy wire racks from BB&B. Each "cubby" holds 12, but we keep about 9 in there, so there's room for expansion.

I have no idea what the heck we're gonna do when we have a crawling baby on our hands. Those racks are gonna have to go behind locked doors. I thought about wall-mounted CD storage, but I really don't like anything I've seen. We're a musical family and also visually inclined, so we're not willing to sacrifice album art for compact storage needs.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#14 of 14 Old 01-08-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Nikki~ View Post
And I've been meaning to look into it to see if they can be burned onto DVDs as another backup method (it should only take a few DVDs)
Yup - you can burn data onto a DVD just like a CD, it wouldn't necessarily play in a DVD player, but it would be great backup, I backup my pictures onto DVD.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page