Anyone want to try Flylady for 31 days with me? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-15-2007, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi, everyone. i signed up for flylady a few days ago then found this thread. i have to say upfront: i'm not going to follow this routine to the letter because we already have some family routines that i'm not willing to change, namely that my husband cleans the kitchen! it's our deal since i do the groceries and the cooking. flylady just sent me an email that said if i'm not shining my sink and drying it off all day(i think that last part is pretty OCD, myself!) then she doesn't know why i'm even doing this, which i got a chuckle out of. but whatever works, right? i also shower and get dressed after breakfast and that works for us.

what i need is a routine. just the assurance that i will get to everything, eventually, or at least know what i didn't get to if i get sidetracked with life. laundry is my biggest problem, the other is just random clutter not in its home. i also need to drink more water and get to bed earlier!

i want to get a routine posted for both my husband and me. i know he won't do the emails, but i think i can introduce this system for the both of us. anyone else doing this?

Kat - mama to Clara (9/29/03): & Iris (5/30/06)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2007, 03:07 PM

Well, shining the sink all day is rediculous, IMO. I make sure it is clean before I go to bed now - that's my "shine your sink" bit.

I feel like keeping up on it all day is a waste of time. Now keeping up on the dishes - that's a good idea, but the shining the sink thing - ya right. Once a day is plenty.

Me : , husband ,daughter Raven : 10-28-95 :
Old 01-15-2007, 04:47 PM

judejude, keep at it. I just started the flylady thing but a year ago when our daughter was coming to live we started decluttering and are still going through layers but we can actually see the end in several rooms now. I have trouble stopping at 15 minutes now because I CAN see the end and I want it NOW not in 6 months. It is hard to be patient about it!

Shining the sink is a joke in our family now so we do it just for fun and boast about it. But I did notice that when the sink was clean that dishes on the counter didn't seem right and so last night at 11pm I washed the pots and pans from dinner that we hadn't done and tidied up even though I was tired and I was so glad this morning. My kitchen has stayed clean for a week which is unheard of in my house.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antannie View Post
judejude, keep at it. I just started the flylady thing but a year ago when our daughter was coming to live we started decluttering and are still going through layers but we can actually see the end in several rooms now. I have trouble stopping at 15 minutes now because I CAN see the end and I want it NOW not in 6 months. It is hard to be patient about it!

Shining the sink is a joke in our family now so we do it just for fun and boast about it. But I did notice that when the sink was clean that dishes on the counter didn't seem right and so last night at 11pm I washed the pots and pans from dinner that we hadn't done and tidied up even though I was tired and I was so glad this morning. My kitchen has stayed clean for a week which is unheard of in my house.
thanks I'm keeping at it - just in my own way I guess. As long as it still works.
BTW, I'm jealous that you have sheep
We want to move to the country in the summer.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:08 PM

well sheep are a lot of fun and a lot of work too. I have difficulty balancing my time between house/farm/paidwork/making and selling my wares/being a mum/partner.

The snow should clear in a few days and then I will be back to feeding in the mud and rain, fencing beofre the brush grows up and getting ready for shearing/lambing. So I am really focusing on the house right now. It does help to know there are a bunch of us dotted across the continent and further? tossing and shining.

Off to earn my living even though I want to declutter my hallway.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:00 PM

The snow did not clear! We have a ton more. So I think it is a sign to declutter another zone. I will start my studio today as it is piled high with fleece and roving and I need to make room for my new floor loom (storing it for our guild lucky me)

I have noticed that the 5 - 15 minute spurts are really making a difference and I noticed my family is now more likely to keep the newly decluttered areas clean.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:09 PM

Well, we finally got some real snow, and that has screwed up my wearing shoes thing. Yesterday I only worse shoes for half of the day because once I went outside there was snow all over, so I had to quick put on my slippers.

I'll have to come up with a new system, since going outside and then back again is way too messy now, and the wearing shoes thing really does keep me going.

Old 01-16-2007, 08:15 PM

How's everyone doing with Flylady? For some reason, I'm really enjoying it. I went and started my Control Journal, tried a couple of Kelly's missions, and have even started working on my weekly schedule. My house is already running much more smoothly.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
Old 01-17-2007, 04:08 AM

i've been doing Kelly's MIssions But this week it is mostly bathrooms and I have already done them...decluttered and scrubbed. So I just keep doing the 15 miute things and putting out hot spots amd keeping the kitchen clean * days now!
Old 01-17-2007, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judejude View Post
Well, we finally got some real snow, and that has screwed up my wearing shoes thing. Yesterday I only worse shoes for half of the day because once I went outside there was snow all over, so I had to quick put on my slippers.

I'll have to come up with a new system, since going outside and then back again is way too messy now, and the wearing shoes thing really does keep me going.
Having the same shoe issues

judejude....get a timer! I LOVE mine!

And I am ALL about tackling this 10 mins at a time. Sometimes that 10 mins is all I get done!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 01-17-2007, 04:25 AM

Flylady would scold me today---I did too much laundry. But really, it was neccesary. I felt like we were being taken over by fabric. And we had snow today so there was nothing else to do. And I feel so much better now. With diapers, we need to do more than one load a day so now I won't get behind doing one or two loads a day.

I also picked up several time today instead of just letting it go, which is what I usually do. I figure, why bother? It's only going to get messed up again. But this way I didn't feel like I had to clean up a mess before I could start something else (like in the kitchen). It was already done!

And you know what? I'm not hating the emails. They're helping.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatSG View Post
Flylady would scold me today---I did too much laundry. But really, it was neccesary. I felt like we were being taken over by fabric. And we had snow today so there was nothing else to do. And I feel so much better now. With diapers, we need to do more than one load a day so now I won't get behind doing one or two loads a day.
Well, I did a couple loads yesterday and I'm still behind. When I am all caught up then maybe I can stick with one load a day, but I have to do something with the piles in the basement first.
Also, is one load a day supposed to take care of EVERYTHING or just the usual stuff? I mean therre's only 3 people in our family,but I have no idea how many loads we would actually have to do per week if I kept up on it.
I have a pile of stuff in the basement which contains stuff like rugs, blankets, other linens, pillows, etc. This is the stuff I put off because I can do without it if I have to. Plus a lot of it is stuff that you can only put one or two things in the washer at a time so it takes a lot of loads to just do a few things.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
Having the same shoe issues

judejude....get a timer! I LOVE mine!

And I am ALL about tackling this 10 mins at a time. Sometimes that 10 mins is all I get done!
I see you are near me Ya, I gotta figure out this shoe thing now, with the snow. We have 2 dogs so I am letting them in and out all the time which takes walking on the porch, which does have some packed on snow on it.

I'm not sold on the timer thing. I just can't get excited about that. I think I'm scared to try it or something. Maybe I'd rather not feel rushed and do a 20 min., slower paced thing, than a fast 10 min. or something - I don't know.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:38 AM

I don't do the shoes at all. It means nothing to me. I usually wear my shoes in the house anyway, so it's not a big motivator for me.

But the timer...I love it! I hate folding laundry more than anything. Today I set the time for 5 minutes and just went down and folded and stopped when the timer went off. I got a lot done! (That's what lead to the all out attack on the laundry pile.) But I can see now that I can get a lot of clothes folded in that short amount of time so I know I can keep that up.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:03 PM

I'm going to join, even though its really late. I've decided to really try flylady again this year. Right now that means working to keep up with the dishes and the laundry. I'm improving. Babysteps, right

Mama to three - DD : 1/03, DS 2/06, and DS 6/09.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheenya View Post
I'm going to join, even though its really late. I've decided to really try flylady again this year. Right now that means working to keep up with the dishes and the laundry. I'm improving. Babysteps, right
It's never too late
I've been doing it a couple weeks maybe and I'm still on baby step number 8 or something Still improving though

Old 01-17-2007, 07:41 PM

i will read this thread when i can but for the mean time

do you have to pay to do this?
can you do this with a preschooler and 3 mo?
i am going nuts w/ all the clutter especially after christmas but

i think i do pretty good to take a shower and provide hot meals plus wash a gazillion dipes and cloth everything else. when the baby naps, i spend all that time playing with ds1. i basically have one free hour in the morning to do what i need to do: 1 load of laundry, make breakfast, dishes. in the evening i put the kids to bed right after dinner which takes forever and if i'm lucky i'll have them asleep to hang out with dh for maybe 30 mins. what do you guys think?
Old 01-17-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichole View Post

Quote:
It's free!!!

Quote:
absolutely!

Quote:

i think i do pretty good to take a shower and provide hot meals plus wash a gazillion dipes and cloth everything else. when the baby naps, i spend all that time playing with ds1. i basically have one free hour in the morning to do what i need to do: 1 load of laundry, make breakfast, dishes. in the evening i put the kids to bed right after dinner which takes forever and if i'm lucky i'll have them asleep to hang out with dh for maybe 30 mins. what do you guys think?
Well, even if you are doing well now, I can't imagine anyone not benefiting from flylady. At the very least she will help you do things faster so you have more time to do other things....and I don't mean do them faster, as in, you have to do more work - it's about more organization so you really have more time, but get even more work done.
No matter what she could help you get things de-cluttered. It's especially good for mom's with limited time or who have little ones because you do all your decluttering in 2 min, 5 min, 10 min or 15 min. You never take on some big, all day job.
It's awesome and you find out how much you can get done if you just do 5 min. at a time, here and there.

You should at least try it.
Read "Baby Steps" http://flylady.net/pages/begin_babysteps.asp

Old 01-17-2007, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatSG View Post
i want to get a routine posted for both my husband and me. i know he won't do the emails, but i think i can introduce this system for the both of us. anyone else doing this?
Hi! ME ME ME!! I started FlyLady back in 2000 or 2001 when she first started her website I think? Since then I've been very on again off again. I LOVE the ideas, just not so sure one the actual order of things.

I dont clean my kitchen sink daily, or even my kitchen or dishes. : I clean my bathroom sink and bathroom!!

My routine is feed everyone and get everyone out the door to work and school THEN I clean myself immediately followed by the bathroom. My best friend hooked me onto the idea of using those lysol wipes and disposable toilet swishers. So when I am done with the bathroom I put everything away. Then I use a used wash cloth to scrub the "ickies" off the counter and a used bath towel to dry the floor, etc. Then I swipe down all with a lysol wipe or two and give the toilet a swish. If I do NOTHING else in a day (which happens) I try to do that so that if I am "stressing" about housekeeping I go hide in the bathroom and look at how clean it is. (And, it is small FYI so I dont take long to clean it.)

I also have never ever managed to actually get the whole darn house tidy let alone clean? So to me that seems like "too much" for reality. I go back to FlyLady often and go back to my notebook often. I am also a BIG fan of books "Confessions of an Organized Homemaker" and "Confessions of a Happily Organized Family" and "Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui" which are recomended on the FlyLady.org website now.

I am "joining in" to this challenge because we just cleaned out the office for the first time in 2+ years but SO much stuff just got moved to the garage that I am annoyed.:
Old 01-17-2007, 08:59 PM

ok i'm in...one step at a time right? i was just saying that i use every free minute, not that i'm doing good and dont need help!

i think the shining your sink thing is a turn off for me b/c i'm not a night person. i'm usually in bed shortly after the kids but i'll find a way to sneak it in there.

thanks
Old 01-18-2007, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by levar View Post
I am also a BIG fan of books "Confessions of an Organized Homemaker".....
I have this book and I really like it....although I haven't looked at it in so long that I couldnt tell you much about it. Maybe I'll take it out and give it a look see

Old 01-18-2007, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichole View Post

I have a three yo and a 7.5 mo old. I let a lot of things slide until just this week. I think you're probably still getting used to having 2 and you should cut yourself some slack. One of the tenants of Flylady is to not obsess and not be perfectionistic. Setting a timer for 5 minutes, or just getting rid of 27 things (or whatever the number is), is progress no matter what and if you just do that and stop and go back to your life, you'll feel a little better for sure.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:29 PM

About the shoe thing. I wear slip ons because I have to go in and out a lot and they are easier to take off. Also they are comfortable and it works for me. Remember we have to adapt what works for us. Living a country life or one with lots of pets is a bit different than city living. I have to take my daughter to the school bus and then feed my sheep in the morning as well as all the other animals. I wear boots to do that. I don't usually do my toilet til after all of that because that is when I use the bathroom for my morning bm.(sorry if that is tmi!) I just don't have to go before then. You are not going to stick to a routine that doesn't fit for you. I think what matters is that you develop and stick to a routine.

I have been snowed in too so I have been doing major cleaning and I don't care if Flylady is mad at me. I have been working on decluttering for a year now so I am ready to move on some stuff. I am having fun so what the heck.

When I started decluttering it took a long time for it to look like the house was cleaner and lighter so I do know that it can be done one small step at a time. Over this last year, one box at a time we have eliminated about 150 boxes of stuff and numerous pieces of furniture. We sold the furniture and gave away tons of stuff. We have acquired a few things too, like a wonderful pantry cupboard, bunk beds, a corner desk and armoire to make better use of my daughters room but now that I actually see the light at the end of the tunnel the whole process is getting much, much easier.

Nicole I do find the shiny sink thing is a real motivator for me. I am not really sure why that is but it seems to keep the whole kitchen clean and has for 11 days. A record.

I have alwaays been known for my clutter. One of my best friends calls my house an "eye spy" house. I am 53 and I am changing. So have faith. If an old dog like me can learn new tricks, so can you young ones!(assuming you are of course)
Old 01-19-2007, 11:26 PM

I've been using Flylady for about a week now and it's really working! My husband is still in charge of the kitchen and the sink but my laundry is totally under control now, by bathroom is spotless, and my daughter's toys are all put away. In fact, now that all the clothes are clean at once I can see that we have too many and we need to edit, store and give away.

The timer thing is really working for me. I've always felt like folding clothes was such an unbearable chore but if I'm only doing it for 5 minutes I don't really care. And that's about all it takes!

I've got hot spots that I have to deal with. This week has been hard for that because my dh hasn't been home in the evenings so I don't really have free time until the baby is asleep. And since she sleeps in our room I can't deal with all the books and magazines on my night stand. I also need to clear off our porch, which I need daylight to do. I think I'll get to those this weekend. Oh, and then there's my car. Ugh. It's really gross.

But, progress!

Old 01-20-2007, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antannie View Post
I don't usually do my toilet til after all of that because that is when I use the bathroom for my morning bm.(sorry if that is tmi!) I just don't have to go before then.
I like a woman who tells it like it is :

Old 01-21-2007, 10:19 PM

Count me in. We're moving in sixteen days and I need the help:
Old 01-22-2007, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm still here... I love this thread bc just reading keeps me hanging in there I can definitely see a difference in my house thus far and I'm not past the hot spot step yet... I too have done some modifications. I think that's what has me a little behind. I'm really trying to make changes that work for us and I can stick with.

Really just wanted to chime in that we're still plugging away here too!

Librarian & mommy to my jog.gif(2002) & jammin.gif (2005) married to superhero.gifsince 1999
Old 01-22-2007, 02:16 PM

Day 12 and I woke up to an unshiny sink. We were out from 7am yesterday and it was an emotional day and my daughtere needed cuddles. I was way too tired to do anything after but I put my clothes out and my partner filled my kettle for the morning which is part of me routine due to power failures. This morning my daughter commented that the kitchen was a mess! A pot and a blender and a popcorn bowl! My our standards are getting high!
Old 01-22-2007, 04:16 PM

I'm joining!! Off to go clean my sink!
Old 01-22-2007, 06:43 PM

i'm on the laying out your clothes before bed step. things look a lot better in here and i'm less stressed. i called a friend who used to do flylady and she is rejoining with me.

not sure what to do about the hotspots. i do work on them a couple of minutes. but i have this bar in my kitchen where we dump our phone, keys, important papers, my calendar, etc. it can get out of control. i'm thinking i need a basket or some organizational thing for that area?? and on top of the tv there is dvd's remotes, books, and the video camera. but i don't feel that i can put them away b/c we use them often. and when we walk in the door we just throw our shoes and bookbag in the corner and that looks soo junky.

i am curious what else lays ahead but i'm gonna be good and not peak

User Tag List