where do YOU find a simple wardrobe???? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 01-12-2007, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i love the plain t shirts at old navy, and they usually have a bunch on clearance for like $5, and theyre only like $10 full price. also im overseas, and i love the fact that they have $5 shipping

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#32 of 41 Old 01-12-2007, 09:42 AM

I just wanted to post that I find skirts and jumpers (and even some dresses) to be practical, comfortable, durable, and forgiving. This is probably obvious, but denim is a really practical/durable fabric. I have one elastic-waist long flowy denim skirt that I practically live in; it can go many days without washing if I'm careful and it goes "with" everything. I don't wear shirts that need tucking in; mostly I have loose long-sleeve t-shirts and a couple of sweaters that I rotate. I also have two "perfect" shirt dresses dresses that are very similar, old Eddie Bauer style with long sleeves, slightly high (loose) waist, and just long enough for my taste - one is denim, one is corduroy. In the summer I also wear simple dresses, often no-sleeved and usually cotton knit (PRINT so the stains won't show, LOL).

I'd suggest either solid-color skirts/jumpers and print shirts, or print skirts (like long flowy hippie skirts maybe?) and solid-color shirts and sweaters.

I think I got every skirt and nearly every shirt I currently wear at a thrift shop, Sally Ann, goodwill, or as a hand-me-down. I kind of accumulated them - as I found things I liked, I got rid of things I didn't like.

I'm pretty self-conscious about my shape and this works for me. Nothing tight at the waist and nothing tight on the wallet! LOL.

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#33 of 41 Old 01-12-2007, 10:04 AM

I am 6 mos pp and totally hear you on the nothing looking good anymore. It's not really more weight, it's like a new shape after two kids! I am also purging my closet - I'm having no problem getting rid of things but don't have the $$ right now to replace them with simple, functional, and basic pieces.

My dream is to chuck every single item in my closet and buy a few tops and bottoms from Eileen Fisher: http://www.eileenfisher.com/scripts/...90000001044050

I strive for that kind of style & sensibility with what I have now.

Although I did leave the house today with my pj bottoms under a short jean skirt.
#34 of 41 Old 01-12-2007, 11:13 AM

In the Lands End catalog or at Sears.

Lands end will show you say 5 pieces and make a ton of outfits out of them. Easy!

If you buy from the catalog at Sears, the shipping is free. Their customer service is wonderful too!

www.landsend.com
#35 of 41 Old 01-12-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybun View Post
My dream is to chuck every single item in my closet and buy a few tops and bottoms from Eileen Fisher: http://www.eileenfisher.com/scripts/...90000001044050

I strive for that kind of style & sensibility with what I have now.

I hear you on this one, $ won't allow me to purchase Eileen but I too try for the look. I also like the look of Sundance Catalog and J Jill
#36 of 41 Old 01-12-2007, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

holy smokes! sundance has organic tees on sale for 14.99 to 19.99! and they're really gorgeous...
just wanted to share....
#37 of 41 Old 01-12-2007, 03:51 PM

I like the clothes at American Apparel -- it's easy to get versatile pieces that are good for layering...
#38 of 41 Old 01-12-2007, 05:02 PM

I'm subbing... while I have a good simple summer wardrobe, I'm totally lost in the winter. Somehow it seems harder for warm clothes to look good nowadays (requires better tailoring & material I guess), and then I end up either looking frumpy or juggling styles... and as I've figured out, it's having multiple different styles which leads to non-simple wardrobes.
#39 of 41 Old 01-12-2007, 05:13 PM

Am I missing something? I went to the Sundance site but can't find the sale tees. BTW, though, J.Jill has some great sale buys -- long sleeve tees for 9.99.
#40 of 41 Old 01-12-2007, 06:11 PM

The Sundance sale tees are in the section named Outlet. Then you have to look in shirts.

They are nice. But I am NOT buying anything new this year (i just must keep repeating that to myself and thinking aboutsaving money and downsizing).
#41 of 41 Old 01-12-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxie View Post
I'm subbing... while I have a good simple summer wardrobe, I'm totally lost in the winter. Somehow it seems harder for warm clothes to look good nowadays (requires better tailoring & material I guess), and then I end up either looking frumpy or juggling styles... and as I've figured out, it's having multiple different styles which leads to non-simple wardrobes.
i've managed a bit of a winter wardrobe with a couple nice sweaters (BP at Nordies has some fashon savvy stuff at kiddie prices)... although, living in the southwest, i dont need much.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page