where do YOU find a simple wardrobe???? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 01-10-2007, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay...this is it mamas......I have nothing that looks good on me...nothing fits....I had a babe over the summer....and honestly.....I feel horrid in EVERYTHING I own! do i get rid of it all??????? How do I start to feel good about getting dressed??? where do all of YOU find well fitting , inexpnsive clothing? I go to thrift stores, but can never find anything that fits right or is decent , maybe once a month I find something the rest is just junk......
I have a sewing machine....maybe its time to learn how to sew my own? Then I could sew what I really want?? I'm so frustrated , most days I don't leave the house because I have nothing I WANT to put on.....

any ideas??:
#2 of 41 Old 01-10-2007, 11:27 AM

I don't think I would throw all of your old clothes out, since you had a baby not too long ago and your shape is probably still changing. I would just box them up and put them somewhere where you aren't constantly putting on something that doesn't fit and making yourself feel bad about it.

I've had better luck at thrift shops than you I think. One thing I have trouble with when I shopped for clothes after having my DD was that I was unrealistic about my size. At first, I was starting with a size that was close to my pre-pregnancy size. I really needed clothes that were quite a bit larger. I got so frustrated trying on things that were too little, I'd give up quickly. So, I learned to overestimate. Helped my self-esteem and it was easier to find things that fit.

If you do decide to start sewing your own clothes, JoAnn has $1, $1.50, and $2 pattern sales a lot. I would wait until then to buy the patterns.
#3 of 41 Old 01-10-2007, 11:46 AM

this may sound funny, but if you have a plato's closet near you, check it out! the store markets to teenagers but i'm 35 & go there frequently. (you just have to get used shuffling through racks next to high schooler's ) the only reason i suggest this is because they have some trendy/hipster clothes that might make you feel great about your post-partum self.

stephanie asl.gif

#4 of 41 Old 01-10-2007, 12:32 PM

www.gabrielbrothers.com

There's a store near me and I get LaneBryant stuff there. It fits me really well so I get a lot of stuff from them. Other stuff is more hit or miss.

Generally I stick with what I know.

i know Lane Bryant works for me so I don't bother too much with other stuff.

I also started sewing for myself. Joann pattern sales are great.
#5 of 41 Old 01-10-2007, 02:58 PM

oh! sounds like me!!!

i actually did get rid of just about all my clothes, shortly after ds was born. for a number of reasons:

1. i went from working to being home
2. i was on an age cusp, and most of my old clothes were very much younger me without kid...
3. i dindt have all that much anyway!

I focused on finding things that were really "me." i love to get up, throw something on, and not think about it.

most of my stuff is yoga-type stuff, great for playing with the babe. also great for nip! fold over waist gauchos and skirts have been a life saver!!

i have been working on keeping it simple-- brown, navy, grey, and white. then it all goes together.

Def. use LOA, also. totally worked for me!!!
#6 of 41 Old 01-10-2007, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

whats LOA??
#7 of 41 Old 01-10-2007, 03:14 PM

i'm a yoga style clothes girl too.

luckily, there's a manufacturer's outlet near me and they had a major clearance sale a few months ago. i walked out of there with a huge bag full of clothes including a few that i wanted to give away as christmas gifts for less than $100. i'm wearing the pants right now, they are so comfy and i've gotten lots of compliments.

i figured i will go out and buy myself a really nice pair of trendy jeans when i've lost another 8 pounds or so.

also, if you have a 'forever 21' store around, they have cute and trendy clothes for pretty cheap. i got some adorable gaucho pants as well as 2 skirts that are stretchy and slimming and it keeps me from going into a clothing funk.
#8 of 41 Old 01-10-2007, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

not really trendy here...i'm 38....LOL....so i suppose i'm in the mor mature category......
I'm looking for easy , well fitting neutral pieces I can mix and match without looking like i'm wearing my jammies.....or look like my grandma.....
#9 of 41 Old 01-10-2007, 03:49 PM

I am not sure if this is very simplifying if you don't already dye, but going to www.dharmatrading.com and picking out a few things that you like and dyeing them different colors. I really love their rayon skirts, and have heard lots of good things about their yoga pants. When I am done nursing I look forward to getting a few dresses. But we also do it for the kids, they get dresses, pants and the coming soon baby just got a bunch of gowns and long sleeve shirts dyed for it. We like plain clothing, and when you get to pick your colors, it is nice.
#10 of 41 Old 01-10-2007, 05:10 PM

If I find a piece of clothing that looks and fits great, I try it out for a bit, make sure it holds up to washing, and then I go back and buy one in every color I find appealing. Saves on the time and effort to find good pieces and makes dressing a little more uniform and simple.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#11 of 41 Old 01-10-2007, 05:13 PM

Since having my kids, I find I no longer feel good in regular jeans. Elastic waist, but not double knit pants is what I want.

I buy the smallest size denim leggings from Just My Size. Since I don't have large legs, but I'm larger around the middle, these have worked well for me. I have the look of jeans, but the comfort of elastic waists. I order 5 pair every fall.

I have around 15 different colored T-shirts from Land's End and Just My Size. They are decent quality and wash well, yet not so expensive I can't replace them with new colors every years.

I have a few sweaters which mix and match with the T-shirts when I need an additional layer or am going somewhere. I enjoy matching my socks to my T-shirts, so that's a bit of fun.

I feel like I look nice, yet am always comfortable. I live in a very casual place, so this "uniform" is fine for all day, every day.
#12 of 41 Old 01-10-2007, 05:30 PM

Recently I've been able to find a lot of nice clothes at Target at pretty low prices. I search through all their clearance racks because I rarely ever buy anything there at full price. I like most of the clothes that Isaac Mizrahi designs for them and some of the Merona line is nice too.

Actually, they're having a deal right now online where you get free shipping if you spend $25 or more on clothes on clearance. I ordered a few things last week that way. The nice thing is that if it doesn't fit or if you don't like it, you can return it at the store & avoid paying shipping to mail it back to them.

HTH!
#13 of 41 Old 01-10-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin View Post
If I find a piece of clothing that looks and fits great, I try it out for a bit, make sure it holds up to washing, and then I go back and buy one in every color I find appealing. Saves on the time and effort to find good pieces and makes dressing a little more uniform and simple.
Ditto. I have eight shirts, and six of them are one style from one particular company. And both of my winter skirts are the same colour and style from another store. Throw a cardigan over it if it's cool, shoe and stocking appropriately, and I'm good to go. I've gone everywhere from grocery shopping to a wedding reception like this. It's my 'mom uniform'. :

2 happy kids makes for a happy mother.

#14 of 41 Old 01-10-2007, 06:44 PM

Barbara Bush before she moved to the White House wore jeans and white shirts.

Talk about simple.
#15 of 41 Old 01-10-2007, 06:55 PM

Find things that really fit you, feel comfortable and accentuate your shape. I would go to a jeans store (at a not busy time) and make the sales people bring you every pair of jeans they have until you find one you like.

I also buy a bunch of different shirts in the same style. Long shirts are really popular right now (fitted). I have a huge problem with my huge boobs finding shirts that cover my belly, so I am really glad about the long shirt style.

I love jackets (that have a darted waist), because they cover a host of post-baby-body ills and look sharp. I have a lovely velvet one and a wool one I can totally dress up or down.

Getting a few trendy pieces can really help your mood. I know after DS1, my nursing body wasn't making me happy, so I bought a bunch of stuff at a thrift store to get me through until I was done nursing. That was a big mistake, as I hated everything and ended up throwing it all out.

Now that I have made a commitment (that sounds so serious ) to making myself feel good, I have far fewer clothes and like them much better. Everything fits in one oldfashioned wardrobe and a dresser. If I see something in my closet that makes me feel yucky, I get rid of it.
#16 of 41 Old 01-10-2007, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm a jeans and tshirt person. I just get llbean's $20 jeans in the colors I like and tshirts from Target that mix and match with the jean colors. Add a couple of cardigans and I'm set. Kohls has some good clearance prices if you have the patience to sort through all the racks.

I recently got some Levi stretch mid-rise bootcut jeans from Kmart for $15 that I'm pleased with. They make me feel less dowdy since they have stretch and are a more fashionable cut. I was kind of in between 2 sizes but knew to go with the smaller since they were stretch. The bigger size would be falling off at the end of the day.

I think when you get to be mid 30's, it's the little things like the cut of your jeans that keep you from looking too matronly. But comfort and function come first for me.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#17 of 41 Old 01-10-2007, 06:57 PM

PS, forgot to say, "I hear you!"

And 38 is the new 28

Pay attention to what other people are wearing, what is fashionable, and then decide what things you see would work with your body. And don't be afraid to shake it up a bit!
#18 of 41 Old 01-11-2007, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

I suppose it doesn't help that my STYLE is all over the place.....in the summer I aM quite the hippy mama....long skirts, cut offs, tanks and halters.....and barefeet! In the winter I am " I wanna be warm " mama....LOL....wearing anything (accept shoes...LOL....I wear flip flops in the winter in the house, shoes only IF and W"HEN I go out) that keeps my bod warm....
I would love to put on warm NICE clothes when I start my day.....
checked target....nice stuff...but hows the quality...really....
Maybe I should be posting in the weight loss threads...LOL....what I REALLY need is to lose the bulge around my middle, but then I think why should I have to wait to lose it to look nice??
#19 of 41 Old 01-11-2007, 11:52 AM

Old Navy has some nicer plain colored T-shirts that wash and wear well. I bought 2 white, 2 black, and 1 in lots of other colors. I can wear them in winter or summer so I definetly get my use out of them. I recently found a smaller store near me that really had cute tops that fit my body well, I always thought it was a granny store but it had clothes that I can wear to work and look professional and cute. I have a hard time with jeans so if I find a jean that works I buy 3 pairs. Also go through your closet and anything you don't wear or doesn't fit throw out. Its so depressing to sort through cute clothes that don't fit you anymore.
#20 of 41 Old 01-11-2007, 01:36 PM

I am so guilty of buying a lot of cheap clothes. I would have overflowing closets but nothing to wear! I think it's a lot better strategy to buy things you LOVE and just a few of them. If you find a pair of jeans that look great on you, wouldn't you wear them 4 or 5 days of the week? Even if your wardrobe only consists of a handful of items you can accessorize with belts, scarves or jewelry and create totally different looks. Also, don't be afraid to have things tailored!

DS 4/2002 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif
DD 3/2009 toddler.gif
#21 of 41 Old 01-11-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkeze View Post
I am so guilty of buying a lot of cheap clothes. I would have overflowing closets but nothing to wear! I think it's a lot better strategy to buy things you LOVE and just a few of them. If you find a pair of jeans that look great on you, wouldn't you wear them 4 or 5 days of the week? Even if your wardrobe only consists of a handful of items you can accessorize with belts, scarves or jewelry and create totally different looks. Also, don't be afraid to have things tailored!
This really is the best way to do it! I have a couple pairs of jeans that I LOVE and feel good in. Then I buy plain shirts or shirts that layer well. When I want to accessorize I go to a thriftstore and buy some funky stuff. I'm on younger side but everyone looks good in a great pair of jeans and simple tops.

Gap has a huge range of styles/colors/sizes for jeans and I can always find a pair of jeans on sale there between $20-$30. I get a lot of stuff on clearance at Target and Old Navy.

We are a family of Jesus loving urban-nesters living the granola life in a not-so-crunchy city.  Our kids (DS 8, DS 7, DD 4) are home birthed and educated, and we just found out that a new Little will be added to our roost mid-April '14!

#22 of 41 Old 01-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Banned

salwar are very nice. they are really beautiful once tailored and the whole suit looks very nice, i think.

if i didn't teach yoga (or if i could teach in salwar--i've tried and it's not so great), i would probably switch my wardrobe over to salwar. i have a couple of tops that i found that are salwar like (found them at a garage sale) that i wear over jeans. i like that a lot.

currently, though, i'm buying organic, fair trade yoga clothes from rawgainique (expensive) and bamboosa (not so expensive).
#23 of 41 Old 01-11-2007, 04:11 PM
Banned

btw, i also agree with the idea of buying less.

i did a major clothing purge last year (donating a lot of it, but a lot of it became rags also). and i'm down to my 'essentials'--and then i learned that i need even fewer 'essentials' than i thought i did!

so, i'm going to purge again, and only replace what i need to replace. i have two pairs of jeans, 5 pairs of yoga pants (in need of purge), a number of sweaters (in need of purge), t shirts (in need of purge), undergarments, one suit and two dresses (should purge).

undergarments are in good shape and i am learning that i don't need bras. i have enough jeans, no problem there. at least three of my yoga pants need to 'go' and thus i need three replacements. most of my t-shirts are dead; i plan on making them into a rag rug for my rabbit and then replacing. i have to decide what i want to do about the dresses--i rarely wear them, or rather only wear them in summer. and i rarely wear the suit--but i do keep it around for weddings.

anyway, any replacing that i do will be done with fair trade, organic stuff. it looks like i'm going to streamline my wardrobe down mostly to yoga clothes that can be worn out like regular clothes (that is, the yoga pants don't look "sporty" but look like pants that one would wear out shopping or whatever)--and thus decrease need for two sets of clothing: yoga and casual wear.

but, i want to replace with a few, high quality items rather than many low cost ones that will go shapeless and illfitting to quickly.
#24 of 41 Old 01-11-2007, 07:15 PM

I recently did a major closet purge. My new strategy for simplifying our wardrobes (mine and the kids) is to go with maybe a couple of brands of quality stuff that fits well and wears well.

For the kids, I'm now buying mostly Hanna during the twice-a-year clearance (I usually have no problem predicting sizes a year ahead) or at the Hanna outlet where my mom lives. On average, I'm paying half price for everything, with the expectation of lots of hand-me-downs. For example, I buy only unisex-print jammies for my oldest so that both his younger sister and brother will also be able to wear them.

For myself, I'm trying some Blue Canoe stuff (found out about them on MDC and think their clothes are really beautiful and functional for those who like yoga-type stuff) and some LL Bean because it wears well and fits me well.
#25 of 41 Old 01-11-2007, 08:41 PM

i am a size 16 or 18 and love old navy jeans, not expnsive and i think they last a while, and i think they look good on me. i have some that i have had for 5 years or so, the knee is worn, but i am hard on my clothes.
#26 of 41 Old 01-11-2007, 08:41 PM
Banned

i love blue canoe stuff, but i found that the tops at bamboosa were what i wanted (3/4 sleeves) and less expensive. so, i'm going with that instead. but i love blue canoe.
#27 of 41 Old 01-11-2007, 08:44 PM
Banned

patches bowen!

i tried to patch a pair ofmy jeans--didn't work out (it was a crotch hole, what a mess! LOL), so i made it into a purse instead. fun project. october j is benefitting form the rest of the material--i'm making a rag rug for him (he's a bunny).
#28 of 41 Old 01-11-2007, 09:20 PM

These days, I get most of my clothes from Lands End. It's made to last and fits well. Most things are very simple and easily mix and match.

I just discovered Fair Indigo, which has really cute (non hippie) fair trade clothes. I can't wait until the stuff I have now wears out, because I am totally going to start shopping there.

http://www.fairindigo.com/
#29 of 41 Old 01-11-2007, 10:07 PM

I just did a run at a thrift store and bought some jeans to fit my fluctuating size and a set of tops. For under $60 I have 5 new tops and 2 pairs of jeans that will take me though to what I hope will be a more stable size (waist, hip, and chest).

I like thrift stores because with Ds I don't have time to be running all over town trying different brands. The thrift stores has them all in one place.

Quality at target really varies. If you're shopping for long term use go Land's End or the like. I use Target only for single season items--a new white t-shirt every summer and fall because they're bound to end up with chocolate ice cream or yellow armpit stains.
#30 of 41 Old 01-12-2007, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowenTherapist View Post
i am a size 16 or 18 and love old navy jeans, not expnsive and i think they last a while, and i think they look good on me. i have some that i have had for 5 years or so, the knee is worn, but i am hard on my clothes.
Me too!!! I love their jeans, tank tops and solid t shirts.

I would give it a little longer before you do anything drastic. My dd is a month older than yours and just the other day I noticed that the lower half of my belly doesn't have the wrinkled look anymore. I really haven't been doing anything to lose weight but I believe that even if I was the skin still takes awhile to get back to normal and that doesn't have anything to do with weight. Good luck finding something you like.

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page