Organization TV shows - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 01-10-2007, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been recording some organization TV shows like Mission: Organization and I was thinking heck yeah I could organize any room if I had three solid days of doing nothing else and no kids and all my friends to help!

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#2 of 34 Old 01-11-2007, 12:19 AM

I SO agree - not only do they have three days to completely focus, they also often have a professional helping them!

The moral of this story: there's a lot we could do - we're just understaffed
#3 of 34 Old 01-11-2007, 12:27 AM

I like clean sweep.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#4 of 34 Old 01-11-2007, 12:38 AM

I used to love watching clean sweep too, and always had similar thoughts. Several days of focusing on NOTHING else, professional organizers, decorators, plus a team to build any furniture? Hell, I could re-do a whole HOUSE in a week with that kind of support!

I also notice how they'll say how it 'only' cost $856. or something Sure it's cheap when you aren't paying for all that professional labor!

Good for ideas though. I was getting cluttered again then watched a few of those shows while visiting family that has cable and it was motivating.
#5 of 34 Old 01-11-2007, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincitymama View Post
I also notice how they'll say how it 'only' cost $856. or something Sure it's cheap when you aren't paying for all that professional labor!
yeah, and I could probably manage to build the furniture they build (maybe) IF I had all that expensive equipment and room to use it!

I bet though if you were good at decorating and organizing and your hsuband was a carpenter / tradesman, you could create a business like that - basically we do what the TV shows do (3 days, everyone works together), etc.

#6 of 34 Old 01-11-2007, 01:05 AM

I bet they also don't count the paintbrushes, rollers, trays, sanding equipment, tools.....

I don't think I've seen Mission: Organization. I've seen Clean Sweep a few times and it can be interesting, depending on what room they're doing. I only like watching the ones I can relate to so I can get some good storage advice.

I recorded Resolutionaries (the one about organizing obviously) on the Tivo at the beginning of the year. That was really fun to watch. It followed three people who had a lot of clutter issues. Each of them had a professional organizer helping them. If nothing else it was inspiring, because they did everything in a week rather than a day, and some of their messes were REALLY bad.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#7 of 34 Old 01-11-2007, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova22 View Post
I bet they also don't count the paintbrushes, rollers, trays, sanding equipment, tools.....
Yeah, I see them say paint.. $20. Well, I've painted rooms. It takes several coats, and several gallons of paint and one gallon is usually more than $20!

Quote:
I recorded Resolutionaries (the one about organizing obviously) on the Tivo at the beginning of the year. That was really fun to watch. It followed three people who had a lot of clutter issues. Each of them had a professional organizer helping them. If nothing else it was inspiring, because they did everything in a week rather than a day, and some of their messes were REALLY bad.
Sounds interesting.

#8 of 34 Old 01-11-2007, 01:39 AM

Hello,

I'm a Professional Organizer and I have never watched these shows. (I don't do TV).

They seem to me to diminish the aspects of "getting organized" that really matter. Those being a desire to set a plan in place, designing it for you personality and organizational style and working on "follow through" to make sure the new habits stick.

The shows "sound" great, but yeah, give me enough money and I could do someone's house proud in three days. Come back in three months and without education they're right back where they were. Great for us to watch, (I assume) but not so helpful to the individual.

UNLESS they were paid enough money to work with a PO (or a therapist if their issues required it) after the "TV people" decluttered their home. Decluttering is time consuming and can be painful, but the discipline comes in when you implement the strategies YOU need to STAY organizes for the long term.

Off soap box!
#9 of 34 Old 01-11-2007, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm2840 View Post
UNLESS they were paid enough money to work with a PO (or a therapist if their issues required it) after the "TV people" decluttered their home. Decluttering is time consuming and can be painful, but the discipline comes in when you implement the strategies YOU need to STAY organizes for the long term.

Off soap box!
Well, on mission organization they do hire a professional organizer. At least, they call them a professional organizer and the person is different every time (the host is the same, but she just shows up at the begining and the end) I don't know whether it helps them for the long term, but I don't think its actors doing it.

#10 of 34 Old 01-11-2007, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm2840 View Post
Hello,

I'm a Professional Organizer and I have never watched these shows. (I don't do TV).
Oh and welcome to the forum! Feel free to impart your wisdom upon us lowly amateurs! (now that you've outed yourself)

#11 of 34 Old 01-11-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
I like clean sweep.

I love Clean Sweep too. I shudder to think of what I would get rid of for Peter

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#12 of 34 Old 01-11-2007, 12:16 PM

Sometime I enjoy watching those shows but I do always have the same thoughts as everyone else here. I could be plenty organized if I did nothing else for a week and had all those people helping.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#13 of 34 Old 01-11-2007, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom4tot View Post
I really like how clean sweep does the sorting and then when you have to decide what to put back, they have a rack the size of your closet (for example) and you can easily see really how much you can keep.

#14 of 34 Old 01-11-2007, 12:27 PM

I have mixed feelings about these shows.

I can just imagine that one month after the show took place, the homes are probably on their way to becoming the same way they were before. If the owners were packrats or compulsive shoppers (like most of them seem to be), I don't think a weekend of cleaning would change their ways.
#15 of 34 Old 01-11-2007, 03:49 PM

This is what we have found to be the most helpful. We record Clean Sweep and then basically fast forward to the part where Tava leaves after the first sort and Peter comes in. At that point he gets to the bottom of their attachments to their stuff and helps them to let it go. Psychological barriers tend to be the greatest obstacle to decluttering, IME. Sure, if you had 3k and a week you could decorate and go all out, but just getting rid of stuff (throwing or donating) can be done, even if you have kids and are busy. Even if it's a little at a time.
We have a very high needs son and have been decluttering for the last 3 months. We probably have about 6 more months to go. We do a bit at a time. It's a process for us, too, because we have to be ready to let things go which can take time.
We've cleared out almost 50% of our super cluttered garage and are making a lot of progress in the house, too. We calculated we've made almost $1500 on Craigslist and I'm sure donated a heck of a lot more than that.
It feels good but it's hard, too. Understanding why it's hard and figuring out how to let go really helps.
#16 of 34 Old 01-11-2007, 11:01 PM

I like clean sweep too. Problem is that i usually only watch TV when I'm sick or after I've had a baby. Then I'm all motivated but can't do anything about it. Anyway - I do feel motivated and like their ideas. It would be awesome to have three days/no kids/money to do those things. Until then I just say to myself "Rome wasn't built in a day".

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#17 of 34 Old 01-12-2007, 04:33 PM

What I take from these shows which I watched for a while was the inspiration to do something and great tips on letting go of stuff. Also seeing some of the homes made me realize I wasn't the worst out there! I got what I needed from them and don't watch them any more. I am trying the Flylady challenge this month (look for thread cuz I don't know how to move a link here!) and I am finding it helpful. In fact I was pleased to discover that since we have been decluttering slowly but surely for a year that in some rooms I can find very few things to get rid of. Well ok ....the bathrooms are decluttered and the kitchen almost!
#18 of 34 Old 01-12-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom4tot View Post
Uh huh....!!! Me too.

Seriously, though, I do love Clean Sweep. I feel so motivated by it.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#19 of 34 Old 01-12-2007, 05:34 PM

I like the show "Neat". It's on HGTV Canada and Life network sometimes I think. She really addresses the emotions behind clutter.
#20 of 34 Old 01-12-2007, 05:46 PM

My favorite is Freestyle! They redecorate and declutter a room in your house using what you have and without spending any $$$.

Zachary (Jan. 16, 05), Blossom (Sept. 14, 08)
::
#21 of 34 Old 01-12-2007, 06:10 PM
g&a

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&S Mom View Post
I like the show "Neat". It's on HGTV Canada and Life network sometimes I think. She really addresses the emotions behind clutter.

I agree completely!! That one is so much better than the other shows like it.
Helen really works WITH people. I want her to come to MY house, but, alas, she's only in Toronto (I looked up the website).

g.

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

#22 of 34 Old 01-13-2007, 07:39 PM

I don't have TV, but I've seen these when visiting family. The thing I always find strange about these shows is that the rooms look unbelievably messy. I know there are people out there who are TERRIBLE packrats, hoarders, and just plain dirty, but it really looks like they will put clothes and other items around in strange places just for dramatic affect. If someone were to make a pile of clothes, usually, they will put them somewhere on the side so they can still move in the room, not string them up like lights between bookcases, unless they are really *that*bad*.
#23 of 34 Old 01-13-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&S Mom View Post
Yes! She also addresses personal style, like people who pile things up getting a literature sorter so they can pile in an organized way, or when she talks about visual learners.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#24 of 34 Old 01-13-2007, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinahYeteirah View Post
I don't have TV, but I've seen these when visiting family. The thing I always find strange about these shows is that the rooms look unbelievably messy. I know there are people out there who are TERRIBLE packrats, hoarders, and just plain dirty, but it really looks like they will put clothes and other items around in strange places just for dramatic affect. If someone were to make a pile of clothes, usually, they will put them somewhere on the side so they can still move in the room, not string them up like lights between bookcases, unless they are really *that*bad*.
I do agree - I wonder what the show tells them sometimes, because they have mess everywhere. I mean, my living room has things strewn about now, but if someone was coming over I would at least pick up a little, kwim?

#25 of 34 Old 01-14-2007, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinahYeteirah View Post

Yeah, I've seen homes that bad. I own a cleaning company and also offer services to help straighten/organize. I've seen homes so bad they have dead things rotting in rooms that they can't even find under the piles( someone had a dead cat in their laundry room but couldn't find b/c of the mess ).

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#26 of 34 Old 01-14-2007, 11:46 PM

A dead cat???? Wow! That's very sad.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#27 of 34 Old 01-15-2007, 12:09 AM

While they are unrealistic (in terms of the help, $ etc), I find those shows very inspiring, esp the ones that force people to think about why they're keeping stuff. I like the sorting, and prioritizing.

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#28 of 34 Old 01-15-2007, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymoo View Post
I do agree - I wonder what the show tells them sometimes, because they have mess everywhere. I mean, my living room has things strewn about now, but if someone was coming over I would at least pick up a little, kwim?
I think they tell them not to clean up, for sure. Still, sometimes I have seen these shows and the family will have a large breakable object in an obvious pathway, or the clothes that are strewn around look a little too random. It's like they come in to do the before shots and say, "This won't do! It's much too normal looking in here. Get some dirty clothes out and put them on your fish tank..."
#29 of 34 Old 01-15-2007, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendmom View Post
Yeah, I've seen homes that bad. I own a cleaning company and also offer services to help straighten/organize. I've seen homes so bad they have dead things rotting in rooms that they can't even find under the piles( someone had a dead cat in their laundry room but couldn't find b/c of the mess ).
Can I just say :Puke? I believe it; I really do. I haven't seen many of these shows, but most are not on this level, I think.
#30 of 34 Old 01-15-2007, 06:22 PM

For you Peter Lovers!!!!

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page