Downsizing Home Entertainment Electronics - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 01-13-2007, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I really want to shrink the size of what we've got going on. Currently, we have:

a computer with a CRT monitor
a 25" tube TV
a very large bookshelf CD/cassette stereo
a DVD player/VCR

I think I want to get a projector to elimnate the TV, get a flat panel monitor for our computer to free up desk space, a DVD player with receiver, and surround sound so we can mount speakers on the wall throughout the main floor of our house. But here are my problems:

I want to get a DVD player with a receiver in it so I can listen to the radio. I've been looking at these online and they all say "DVD/CD/MP3 player with audio receiver". Does this mean that I can stick an iPod into it, too? Because that would be way cool. If not, what does it mean?

And about surround sound: can I add more speakers at a later time? Or will that screw it up? I'd really like to keep the electronics in their cabinet in the living room, but have speakers mounted on the kitchen wall so I can listen to the radio in there while I'm cooking and cleaning.

Also, our computer has a CD burner but not a DVD burner. We have a bunch of old (mostly Disney) VHS tapes. Is it worth it to get a DVD burner and a descrambler to copy these tapes? Should we use the DVD burner that's for the computer, or the kind that's it's own unit and lives with TV and VCR?

Do you even need to own any DVDs if you have a Netflix subscription?

Why is simplifying so complicated? Why are there so many flippin' choices?

TIA!

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page