Real Simple magazine - yay or nay? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-17-2007, 12:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nay. I ditched my subscription because while it seemed to be vaguely about simplicity, it was more about expensive stuff. A giant ad for the wealthy to decorate their apartments.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2007, 01:57 PM

Another NAY!

I get all of my Mom's pre-read magazines and she sometimes buys it. I never cease to be amazed how they think a $200 trash can or $500 magazine rack is "simple". Plus, after reading a couple of their issues, I decided that they repeat a lot of the same stuff.

I do LOVE Natural Home though!
Old 01-17-2007, 03:04 PM

I picked up a copy of "Natural Home" yesterday, and I'm hooked! Great magazine! Thanks for the recommendation.

There are some great decluttering ideas in the current issue.

K(h)aren. Writing/editing mama to my quixotic Sam (12.07) and my intrepid William (01.11).

Old 01-17-2007, 03:09 PM

i found a copy of their organization book for more than half off at the bookstore not too long ago. it's got some good ideas if you overlook the recommendations to buy everything in the pottery barn catalog. i wouldn't spend full price for their books or subscribe to the mag, but you can find some neat stuff once in awhile.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:55 PM

I think Real Simple is like most magazines -started out good, then needed enough income to keep going and SOLD OUT. I agree with pp- some good ideas, but read it at the library our buy it used!
Old 01-17-2007, 05:55 PM

(as is often the case) - Odd girl out here!

I LOVE REAL SIMPLE!!

It's the only magazine I subscribe to and I look forward to it each month.

It doesn't claim to give frugal ideas, so it doesn't bother me that it suggests buying things to help with organization, etc. In fact, I do buy stuff!

The ads don't bother me. That's just part of the deal. Just like the ads in Mothering magazine (which I no longer subscribe to because it doesn't serve me at all).
Old 01-17-2007, 10:24 PM

I subscribe. I used to LOVE it... I still like it. I've gotten some good ideas from it and I've gotten some good recipies too. The month they did a feature on cast iron cooking was when I finally decided to try a cast iron pan. Some of the reviews and ratings are silly like the super expensive clothes, etc but I've also found a few products I really like from their suggestions.

Lately I don't like it as much as I used to. I don't know if it's changed or if the subject matter is just getting old for me... lately it's felt like a lot of the same stuff I've seen before.

I've dropped most of my magazine subscriptions just because I never had time to read them... I don't know if I'll continue RS when my subscription runs out. I do like that many of the features in RS are short, that makes them good for bathroom reading. :

Mom to (5) (9)
Old 01-17-2007, 11:38 PM

Oh yea, I'd forgotten about the breastfeeding thing. My sister used to subscribe, and when I saw that in her issue I was livid. I think I got mad enough that even she canceled her subscription!
Old 01-18-2007, 02:18 AM

NAY! I got a free trial subscription and HATE IT. It goes right in the recycling bin, what a waste. I simplified by getting rid of excess and frugality - NOT buying all those dumb gadgets. And they advertise for Hummers, how is that "simple?"
Old 01-18-2007, 03:33 AM

I pretty much agree with what most of the pp's have said. I do think there are bits and pieces in it that are good, but overall it isn't worth the money. It should *not* be called Real Simple - it is anything but that, IMO. (I don't buy it, my mom has a subscription and I read her copy every now and then.)

Oh, and about the anti-breastfeeding thing! I never knew that.

User Tag List