Socks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 01-16-2007, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh. My. God.

DH and I did a major sock purge yesterday. We took all our socks out of the drawers, baskets, laundry, corners, gym bags and other hidie holes in the house and put them all into a hamper. It was OVERFLOWING with socks! : We feel like we never, ever have enough socks to wear and are always scrounging for them when we get dressed in the morning and stealing one another's socks, and yet here was this 3 foot high hamper stuffed and overflowing with socks!

Then, we went through each sock and threw away all the ones that we're holey, unmatched, had shot elastic or were in some other way non-functional. It took AN HOUR AND A HALF. And at the end? We had a hamper that was less than 1/3 full, and almost all the socks that were keepers were dirty.

I feel lightened, and yet somehow embarassed and really pathetic.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 35 Old 01-16-2007, 07:15 PM

Don't feel pathetic. We did a similar task recently and were shamed at how many socks we had hiding in odd places.
They seem to learn how to walk off!
#3 of 35 Old 01-16-2007, 09:31 PM

This is such a timely, funny post to me! I have a drawer that holds socks as well as some other things (bandannas, scarves, etc) and one day I took out a pair of socks that I avoid. And another. And another. Why am I keeping these things? If I am so desperate that I will wear something that is uncomfortable to me, shouldn't I just wash a pair I like instead? Oy.

So I've been a sock-tossing fool the last week, also. Of course, it didn't result in a hamper full o' socks... (just giving ya the business!)
#4 of 35 Old 01-16-2007, 10:20 PM

:

I recently cleaned out our sock drawers, after I realized that I would pull a pair of dirty socks out of the laundry to wear before I would wear some that were filling up the drawer. Clearing out those socks I will not wear made a lot of space. I was also ruthless with those awful socks that always fall down while I'm wearing them. They're gone, so all I have now are socks I like that stay up.

Just think how great it will be to be able to find your socks now!
#5 of 35 Old 01-17-2007, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

I know! They all fit in ONE Drawer! It completely amazes me.

We were getting ready to go this morning and I was grumbling about how I ought to go and find some socks, and then realised I could just walk upstairs, open the drawer, put socks on my feet and leave! No drama, no digging and no grumping at DH about why he never does laundry so there are never clean socks! It was an awesome treat.

#6 of 35 Old 01-19-2007, 06:36 PM

We keep a basket on the washer for socks and all unpaired socks are immediately put there and while I fold each load of laundry I look for pairs. I often lose one sock for a while but my daughter is absolutely Hopeless! So it works well for us. A few times she has had to wear odd pairs though. My partner is very organized about socks and so sometimes I steal som of hers and have to hide mu feet all day!

I used to use a bad but the basket works better.
#7 of 35 Old 01-20-2007, 12:49 AM

I just sorted my socks about a month ago! Must be the season.

Now I have

3 pair plum organic socks
3 pair rainbow organic socks
2 pair natural organic socks, and one lone natural organic sock ( hoping the other will show up eventually.)
1 pair black socks with cats in Christmas hats.
1 pair red socks with cats.
1 pair plain black socks.
1 pair pink socks.
1 pair blue socks with cows.
3 pairs of peds.

That seems like a lot of socks written out like that, but my drawer is never full of socks.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#8 of 35 Old 01-20-2007, 02:16 AM

I only wear ankle high athletic style, so a while back (when my of mys tocks were ratty and I didn't like most of them) I just wholesale tossed them and bought all one kind and did the same for DH. Makes sorting so much easier! Not necessarily the most frugal thing, but simple for sure. However, since you can't always get the same kind, now a couple different kinds have crept in since.

But then again, I don't ever wear anything but white athletic socks, ever.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#9 of 35 Old 01-20-2007, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymoo View Post
I only wear ankle high athletic style, so a while back (when my of mys tocks were ratty and I didn't like most of them) I just wholesale tossed them and bought all one kind and did the same for DH. Makes sorting so much easier! Not necessarily the most frugal thing, but simple for sure. However, since you can't always get the same kind, now a couple different kinds have crept in since.

I used to do this, too! But I have two boys and that's all they wear. It worked okay until our sock sizes all became similar...then I switched to athletic socks with black stars on the sides, so I could tell which ones were MINE!

Then I just got tired of wearing white socks. The cat socks were the first to creep into my sock drawer, and it was all downhill from there.

I gave all my star socks to dh to use when he washes the boat...he uses old socks for rags.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#10 of 35 Old 01-21-2007, 05:28 AM

I have a sock box that I have been avoiding. Why? We are always looking for socks, too. And often for my dd I will BUY new socks because I'm tired of not finding the others.:

But my question is: do I just throw these away and start over? And WHAT EVER HAPPENS TO THOSE OTHER SOCKS!!!!!!!!!!
#11 of 35 Old 01-21-2007, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Whisper, I've been right where you are... I'd buy socks because I couldn't find any and was convinced they were being eaten by some ravenous sock monster in my basement. I was totally shocked to discover we had an entire hamper full of socks in our house!

We didn't throw out all our socks, but we threw out a good portion of them. If you're like me, you have a ton of socks that you don't like to wear for whatever reason -- they're mateless, holey, don't stay up, don't fit right, itch, feel bad on your feet, or whatever. We threw ALL those away, and kept only the happy socks. We figure we'll pick and brand and style that we like and slowly replace these with one kind of sock, so hopefully we won't have the problem in the future.

#12 of 35 Old 01-21-2007, 04:13 PM

It must be something in the air because w have been purging here too. I went through our drawers and discarded super stained, holey unmatched things while Mark did the same for our books and kitchen cabinets.

It DOES feel like a huge load has been lifted- but it also seems like we are constantly purging something. Our problem is that our hosue is so darn tiny that things pile up fast!

So, yeah! to purging! (although it DOES become addicting)
#13 of 35 Old 02-21-2007, 10:41 PM

Bump.

Hi.

So, I went through all our socks over the last couple weeks (there were SOOO many) and have sorted them into:

A) 1 hamper full of paired socks that we still like. (This is more than we need, but it's like a third of what we had... I'm considering this step 1. Definite progress.)

B) 2 big bags full of mostly paired, decent condition socks that we will simply never wear (wrong shape, size, whatever).

C) 1 big bag of others, that I don't think anyone would wear, either cause they are in bad shape with holes or not matched.

What do I do with B and C???

C I figure I'll keep a few for rags and slowly slip them into the garbage (dh might panic if I do it all at once).

B is tricky. I feel like there is bound to be *someone* in the world who would benefit from our socks. We are lucky enough to be able to be picky about the socks we wear, but I know not everyone is. How do I find these socks a good home? Do I keep them in my car until I see a homeless person with a shopping cart who looks to have feet slightly bigger than mine and slightly smaller than my husbands and offer them to him or her? I don't know of any places that accept used sock donations... How do I get these out of our house in a way that doesn't feel wasteful?

me dh ds1 (11/04) ds2 (7/10) and
#14 of 35 Old 02-22-2007, 09:36 PM

I can totally relate.. DH and I did that once, too.. it was crazy the number of socks we had between the four of us.
It's about time to round them all up again.. ugh.

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
#15 of 35 Old 02-23-2007, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitters View Post
B) 2 big bags full of mostly paired, decent condition socks that we will simply never wear (wrong shape, size, whatever).

C) 1 big bag of others, that I don't think anyone would wear, either cause they are in bad shape with holes or not matched.

What do I do with B and C???
Hey there. Here's what I'd do:

B: Donate to a homeless shelter or organization that provides things to homeless people. I know socks are a major need. If you can't find something of this nature where you are, donate to a women's shelter.

C: Freecycle. Someone will craft with them. Or indulge a major foot fetish...
#16 of 35 Old 02-23-2007, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymoo View Post

I did this too, but DH and I wear the same size, so there is one sock drawer between us with ankle high athletic socks. I don't even bother to fold them - everything matches everything else. Love it.
#17 of 35 Old 02-23-2007, 04:44 AM

My way of dealing with the sock drama of my own is that I switched to wearing hand knit socks. You can bet if I took the better part of a week to knit a pair of socks, I'm not going to be throwing them on the floor or losing them... Ever!
So far, I have a sock drawer with about a dozen pairs. They wear like iron, too! And yes, they get handwashed. My socks are spoiled!

I must confess that I'm not one to wear socks year-round, so that has extended the life of my socks signifigantly. As soon as it's temperate enough in the Spring I'm either barefoot or wearing crocs or birkenstocks until it gets cool again in Fall, so no socks then.

As for my kids, ages 11 and 9... They refuse to sort their socks while doing their laundry and so the socks ALL go into one big drawer. (cheap, all white, close in size, and crew or low cut style)
The kids are in charge of getting their clothes ready for school the night before, and if they choose to, they can match up a pair of socks. If they choose to wear mismatched socks, it's their problem, not mine... I'm choosing my battles and if the kids could care less about mismatched socks, I'm not going to stress about them. As long as they are clean!

Thank heavens my hubby is the most organized of the lot of us. I've never seen a sock of his on the floor or anywhere other than his sock drawer, his feet or his hamper in the 8 years we've been together
#18 of 35 Old 02-26-2007, 12:18 PM

Love the sock thread

: : : :

I have 2 laundry baskets full in my bedroom and 2 more in the basement. Now that the older two have jobs it seems socks are disposable to them and rather than look for a pair they run to Walmart. What have I created. I did major laundry room/family room cleaning and matched socks for hours. At one point everyone was helping and I'm not even close to the bottom of the piles. What an embarassment.
#19 of 35 Old 03-16-2007, 04:21 PM

does anyone else love old sox as rags? i've noticed that you can put them on a hand...easy cleaning...wow maybe i spend too much time alone...:
#20 of 35 Old 03-16-2007, 04:49 PM

I, uh...have been letting my kids cycle through the same 2 or 3 "pairs" of unmatched socks for the last few weeks, because I'm terrified of tackling the sock issue. Right now, they're mixed amongst the 7 or 8 loads of laundry that I've been dreading putting away. They're not even all together in a basket. They're just....everywhere!! It's been a hectic few weeks, and I simply haven't had time... (I know, excuses excuses.....) But we need to get to the socks soon.
#21 of 35 Old 03-16-2007, 05:29 PM

i just recently did this. i've got a basket full of unmatched ones - i'm waiting until i reach the bottom of Mt. St. Laundry to make the triage decisions about them. i've thrown out the holey ones and donated the good ones that we don't like. woohoo!!
#22 of 35 Old 03-16-2007, 06:41 PM

Last year I went through about a month where everytime I started to put something back in a drawer because I didn't like how it felt to wear it, I'd toss it into a give away basket instead. Also during that month, if I spent the day fighting my socks, you know, having to pull them up all the time, they went into the *trash* when I got home, not into the laundry.

I have a pair of scissors near where I fold the laundry and regularly turn dh's holey socks into rags. He has 3 pairs of really nice socks that he only wears on special occasions and job interviews. All the rest are white athletic socks that I don't bother pairing up.
#23 of 35 Old 03-16-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacup View Post
This is such a timely, funny post to me! I have a drawer that holds socks as well as some other things (bandannas, scarves, etc) and one day I took out a pair of socks that I avoid. And another. And another. Why am I keeping these things? If I am so desperate that I will wear something that is uncomfortable to me, shouldn't I just wash a pair I like instead? Oy.
not to put a stop to anyone's purging momentum, but my new favorite thing to do with old socks or underwear is to WEAR them one last time and then throw them away dirty. I feel like I'm getting a bonus because I wear something and don't have to wash it. For socks, I've used them for some grody things like gardening or painting and then chucked 'em!

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#24 of 35 Old 03-17-2007, 02:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Imagine this--I had to "declutter" my RAG SOCKS. i must have had two grocery bags full of them, hanging on to them for god knows what reason. I kept two old socks for dusting (because that's kind of fun, but how many darned socks can one dust with at once?) Oh, and I had a bag full of messed up pantyhose as well--I guess I was keeping them for stuffing a pillow, but then again I haven't stuffed a pillow in 10 years. I kept one stocking for the outside bar of soap that hangs in a knee-high by the water hose.
#25 of 35 Old 03-19-2007, 12:08 PM

I very rarely wear socks. I have a pair of UGGS clogs that I wear in the winter and I, of course, don't wear socks in the summer (wear my Birks). If for some reason I do wear socks in the winter I have a few pair of LL Bean wool socks - that's it for my sock drawer.

My son has seven pair of socks and doesn't wear them if we are home so his are very rarely ever all dirty at the same time.

My dd has a few pair but for some reason we don't put socks on her very often.

My DH is the sock man because he has to wear them to work, to work out in and he also likes wearing atheletic shoes so those require socks. I finally found some good quality ones on sale and bought a TON of them. I got rid of all the others. So now all of his socks match and it makes laundry a lot easier than trying to match up different brands.

Mama to:Ben (12), Natalie (9), Zoe (5)

#26 of 35 Old 03-19-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanamommyphd07 View Post
I kept one stocking for the outside bar of soap that hangs in a knee-high by the water hose.
So *that's* what I need to do with the panty hose that has a run in it. I *knew* I hadn't tossed those yet for a reason. Thank you!
#27 of 35 Old 03-19-2007, 01:29 PM

I think I'll purge my sock drawer today.
#28 of 35 Old 03-19-2007, 04:22 PM

I had an awesome moment of sock karma after posting here a few weeks back and still failing to find an outlet for my socks.

One of my very best friends from childhood told me she felt silly buying new socks for her current hobby, inspired by this website:
http://www.stupidcreatures.com/gallery.html

Soooo... into the mail went an enormous box packed FULL with all of our retired socks heading her way. She even said she'd be happy to sort through them! I don't think she really appreciated just how big the box would be when I told her I was sending it... seriously, it was about 6 cubic feet!

me dh ds1 (11/04) ds2 (7/10) and
#29 of 35 Old 03-19-2007, 04:27 PM

I think I am goign to do a sock purge. My DH is always complaining that he has no socks so he goes and buys more. I have a drawer full and I hardly wear socks at all. I am always home so I am barefoot. I have sandals that I wear if I go outside. I think I have wore socks maybe 3 times in the last couple months. I think I can downgrade to 7 pairs of socks...then I will have 1 pair for each day of the week.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#30 of 35 Old 03-20-2007, 01:21 AM

This thread inspired me to purge my sock drawer (which was so full it had spilled over into other places) as well as my bra and underwear drawers!

I had a suprisinglly large number of ugly, worn out, ill fitting, etc. socks, bras and panties - I filled a whole shopping bag to trash! It is so nice to go to that drawer and know that I like everything in there!!! I do still have a few strays in the wash that need to be purged but I will get to those as I get through the wash. And....I must admit I kept these 2 pair of kneehigh silk socks I bought just because they seem like such a luxury - though I suspect I don't wear them because I don't like how they fit I'm going to make sure I *actually* wear them sometime this week and we'll see if they make the cut! I also kept a couple bras that are still almost new, but I am not wearing because of nursing. I will decide once I am done if they still fit and should stay (since I threw out a bunch of older ones, I don't feel too bad about that!).

Thanks for the inspiration!

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page