Cleaning Party Time!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 61 Old 01-20-2007, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
if your Saturday is not busy today maybe you would like to join me in my cleaning party!!!

My goal is 3 hours of productivity which will mainly involve cleaning. I am pretty easily distracted and don't stay on task very well so I will be doing my 3 hours 15 minutes at a time mostly. So come and join me. Set your timer do some cleaning, come back and tell me how good it feels and what all you accomplished! I hate getting started but I find once I start the party can get kinda fun!!!

I'm off to the kitchen!
#2 of 61 Old 01-20-2007, 01:17 PM

I'm not feeling 100%, but I should be able to do a bit and at 15 minutes at a time, it seems manageable.
#3 of 61 Old 01-20-2007, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sorry you are not feeling good, 15 minutes does make it seem more manageable even then. Maybe you could find some easier cleaning tasks to do too, like folding laundry you can sit and do.

My kitchen is now 15 minutes cleaner and really its not looking too bad. I think I will spend my next 15 minutes in there as well, I got stuff picked up but nothing wiped down yet. Right now I am enjoying a big bowl of veggie soup so that hopefully I will have energy to keep cleaning today. I think I might put on some music during my next cleaning time too.
#4 of 61 Old 01-20-2007, 01:56 PM

Ok. I picked up the lego and books off the living room floor and put them away, put a load of laundry in the washer, put away a sink of clean dishes, reloaded the dishwasher and went through my corningware/pyrex stuff and pulled out a few things I don't need anymore or had doubles of and put them in a pile to give to good will and called MIL to see if she wanted a couple things.

I'm taking a break, but will start my next 15 minutes in about 15 minutes.
#5 of 61 Old 01-20-2007, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

oooooohh you not only cleaned and straightened you decluttered! And decluttering means less cleaning later!!! Way to go! I need to start up again, my break has been a little long, I can hear my little one making a mess right now too! Back to the kitchen I go!
#6 of 61 Old 01-20-2007, 02:04 PM

I've been decluttering alot lately, but I haven't touched the kitchen yet so thought I better get cracking on that since my cupboards are a disaster.
#7 of 61 Old 01-20-2007, 02:18 PM

i have a lot to do today.

Pick up living room -

Arrange work papers

organize bills

vacuum living room, kitchen, hall, stairs. -

laundry -

vacuum bedroom

make bed

finish dishes - All clean!

make chicken stock - simmering away

make baked lentils -

I guess I'd best get a move on.
#8 of 61 Old 01-20-2007, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

fex and fuzz I think you should put a smiliey face by each item as it gets done! That is quite a list you've got there too!

I just did 15 more minutes in the kitchen, the counters are wiped down. I could still probably spend an hour in there and it not be clean though. I would really like to see my kitchen CLEAN. I have NEVER wiped down the cupboard doors and they could use it I know. I doubt I will get my kitchen CLEAN CLEAN today but I think I'm gonna spend at least one more 15 minutes in there. Find a home for things that have been on the counter with no home for too long. Maybe clean out the fridge a little.

Mom of J and K is some of the cleaning making you feel better?
#9 of 61 Old 01-20-2007, 02:42 PM

The house is starting too look better and it feels good!

The last 15 minutes I folded a load of laundry that was left in the dryer, put a load in the dryer and another in the washer and tidied up the front entry way. I really must tackle the front closet and reorganize it sometime today. There is so much in there and I'm sure some of it can go to goodwill.

-Nicole
#10 of 61 Old 01-20-2007, 03:02 PM

I am totally up for it, but I'm going to have to find a way to work around my toddler. Maybe if my husband can take him down to his parents' for a few hours ...
#11 of 61 Old 01-20-2007, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

WOOOHOOOO!!! I am feeling good too. I have now gotten 45 minutes of cleaning done in my kitchen and aside from the floors it is looking better than it has looked in a LONG time!!!

I also have a load of laundry soaking in the wash and I decluttered the freezer some which means I have 4 pounds of chicken thighs cooking in the crockpot now.

So during my break I'm gonna go to recipezaar.com and try to see what I'm gonna do with all these chicken thighs and stock and then I think I will start on cleaning in the office.
#12 of 61 Old 01-20-2007, 03:27 PM

we did "10 minute blitz" clean yesterday.

in two sessions of just me and two session of me and a teenager we got all this accomplished:
declutter living room
unload and load dishwasher, run (twice)
finish handwash dishes
scrub counters
empty crumbs from toaster
wipe end tables
scrub kids table (several times)
swiffer vacuum floors
wet swiffer floors
bathroom counter, sink, mirrors
empty all trash cans
empty recycle bins
ditch the fridge
wash the bottom shelf in fridge
wash all TV blankets, towels and odd laundry

made a list, put on rocking music, set timer and GO!
might not get white glove clean, but took off the first and second layers! and it felt great because this is the first day I've had energy. We've all been horribly sick since New Years Eve. Should see if I can get another round out of them today...

I find it easier to declutter if there is a box near the door to put the 'go away' stuff. Then I can freecycle or send to goodwill when it gets full.
love and light,
Bryanna
#13 of 61 Old 01-20-2007, 03:28 PM

I'll be on board. We have been decluttering since October. I really want to get the rest out of the way today. Perhaps i will take pictures...that always makes me wanna clean hard!

Does anyone ever feel like all they get done is cleaning? We have 7 pets and a toddler and i swear, everytime i finish a room...the hair and mess come right back out!
#14 of 61 Old 01-20-2007, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

bryanna- WOW! You all did GREAT! I will feel like I did great if when my hubby wakes us and goes to the kitchen he notices. He actually does pretty good cleaning up around here and I am the messier one, although I get more upset about the messes than he does.

I am procrastinating starting that timer again. And yes, my little one is good at making messes as fast as I clean them up. She likes to take things out of the cupboards and off of shelves a LOT!!! If I want her to play quietly in a room all I have to do is clean it up and she will play very quietly while she messes is back up!

Okay for real now, I'm gonna get back to work!
#15 of 61 Old 01-20-2007, 03:52 PM

So I did another 30 minutes in the kitchen. I have a big box of stuff out of the cupboards and beside the front door to donate! Now to organize what I have left. I also went through the dress up box and got rid of anything that was ripped or broken. I have a garbage bag full of stuff!

-Nicole
#16 of 61 Old 01-20-2007, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

okay that wasn't that bad . The family room is picked up, some laundry put away, dish washer unloaded, and clothes are in the dryer drying.

The papers cluttering our office desk are making mean faces at me though and I'm a little nervous about trying to sort through all of them. . . that really needs to be my next task. Little one should be going down for a nap soon too though and I am pregnant and would like a nap myself. . . I think I will take a nap after I spend 15 minutes cleaning the office.

1 hour done. . . 2 more hours to go to reach my goal!
#17 of 61 Old 01-20-2007, 05:18 PM

Okay, I'm jumping in a little late here but I have basically been having a "cleaning party" all day.

First thing I did was went around the entire house and collected trash, laundry and dishes. My dh ran to the store for water softener salt and d/w soap.

I got 4 loads of laundry, washed, dried, folded and put away (just for clarification, it was not spread all over the house, most of it has been in the laundry room waiting to be washed for a couple days now ). I went through all my clothes (again!) and pared my entire wardrobe down to fit in one 30 gal bin - including underwear, pajamas, etc.

My dh got three loads of dishes done - well, last load is in the d/w. They've been piling up since I ran out of d/w soap.

Dh took two of the kids to the farmers store for eggs and milk, and to the pet store for crickets for the lizard.

Whew!

Now, I am going to get dinner together, because I'm really hungry. Then I'll get started on every blanket/sheet/towel in the house!
#18 of 61 Old 01-20-2007, 05:23 PM

i've gotten the kitchen cleaned up and decluttered
I've gotten the storage room all organized
And currently I am in our bedroom reorganizing all the furniture and gotten rid of half of our clothes...we had to move the washer and dryer from downstairs to upstairs and our closest was the only place.
#19 of 61 Old 01-20-2007, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

You ladies are doing Fabulous!!! I didn't get my nap in because my hubby who works nights and sleeps days got up sooner than expected and so we watched a movie and ate. But I have been cleaning up after myself and picking things up if I go from one room to another. This afternoon/evening I think is going to be a laundry time for me! woohoo!
#20 of 61 Old 01-20-2007, 08:04 PM

I went back down the basement and got some more stuff sorted into bins. I have 25-30gal tote bins all stacked up and labelled. It looks funny! I should take a pic...

I never got around to making dinner, we just grabbed a bowl of cereal. So now I'm super hungry and my two year old is super grumpy pants. He's sitting with dh now, I've got to make him something good to eat so he can fall asleep.

And the dryer is calling me...
#21 of 61 Old 01-20-2007, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I got some cleaning/decluttering done in my bedroom which hasn't been completely cleaned since ds was born (5 1/2 years ago). It's been at least a couple years since it's been even partially clean because ds was a dumper/strewer/thrower and actively messed up anything I tried to do. It was also always the last priority for cleaning when we had company since it wouldn't be seen. Dh has been using the room as a place to stash stuff that he doesn't know what to do with, as well. Ds finally seems to have completely outgrown his need to thwart me so I no longer can use him as an excuse.

I took out a large trash bag of trash and a large box of unloved items for donation. I sorted out some baby stuff for my sister's new baby. A couple days ago, I picked up several paper bags of paper and magazines for recycling. I also knocked the vaccum around to catch the dust rhinos. I can see the floor!

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#22 of 61 Old 01-20-2007, 08:31 PM

WoooHoooo!!!! I love you cleaning partie's pwit very cool idea !!

ok i will start too, i think i will make a list of chores and do the smiely besides them like you said to a pp, that is a great idea, and visually motivating

#1 #1 #1 FIRST THING Clean out that fridge!!!!!! ( can you see i have an issue w/it :P ) :

*2 clear off AND declutter counters, all the way

3~top of fridge

*4 clear all floors and vacuum

~5 laundry room, declutter and make easier to use (less stuff in there)

*6 bedroom, ugh, this will take a couple of hours, craft table is BAAAAD

~7 white cabinet in kitchen....organize.....

Ok yay! i think i am getting amped up to get going i think i will go in 20 min increments tho (lukcily kiddos are aged 2 1/2 and 4 so its a bit easier, and they like to *help* lol)
starting time ~2:50~
#23 of 61 Old 01-20-2007, 08:58 PM

and just in case anyone needs a good idea for keeping yougish kiddos busy i just set mine (2 1/2 yrs and 4 yrs) up w/cornstrach and water mixture, on rubbermaid lids , 1 c. cornstrach to 1/2 c. water, give em a spoon, bowl, cup whatever, they will be happy for at least 20 min if not longer AND its SOOOO easy to clean up
#24 of 61 Old 01-21-2007, 03:20 AM

DH and I went on a cleaning spree today.

He did:
-sink full of dishes
-load of laundry
-cleaned one half of the computer (aka junk) room

I did:
-one load of laundry
-tidied living room
-tidied dining room
-tidied bedroom
-cleared the dining room table off (what a job!)
-cleared off the shelf/table behind couch (another junk spot)
-vacuumed living room/dining room
-swept and mopped kitchen/hallway/bath
-cleaned sink/tub/toilet
-wiped dirty spots on walls, kitchen cabinets, front of fridge, stove etc

We did a lot (and worked for the same amount of time!) but still have to finish dishes, laundry, cut up pile of old clothes for cleaning rags and I wanted to do some baking. Oh well, there's still tomorrow!

***I also hung some pictures.
#25 of 61 Old 01-21-2007, 05:38 AM

well, we didn't get too much done today. teenagers were being, well, teenagers. Carlin helped me put away the silverware, and cleared the playroom and I loaded the diswasher, did a few handwash, and cleared the counters and ran the swiffer.

I reorganized the bedroom last weekend and finished putting away the last of the 'dirty-ing'. ran a load of laundry. went to the bank and the library. ohh, and I cleaned out my purse!!

Then my brother took us out for lunch for Carlin's birthday. Company over tonight for meatloaf dinner, Pictionary and Scattergories.

wow, I did accomplish things.

Tomorrow, I want to head to Target and Walmart for a few holiday returns. Pick up my special order bra, major grocery shop at WinCo, and put plastic up on the bedroom window.
love and light,
Bryanna
#26 of 61 Old 01-21-2007, 11:00 AM

This is what I need to do today. I love this thread, btw!

1. Get gas in both cars
2. Clean out the frig
3. Clean both bathrooms
4. Finish organizing guest room so parents can sleep there Tuesday night
5. Put away the Christmas decorations
6. Fold and put away clean laundry
7. Sort, wash, fold, and put away dirty laundry (probably 4 loads)
8. Change sheets on our bed
9. Plant tomatoes and peas
10. Mow the lawn
11. Cut down strange tree beside the house.
12. Finish clearing out the planting bed in front of the house
13. General pick up of the entire house
14. Clean all the floors, either mopping or vacuuming
15. Per my decluttering challenge for the month, get rid of at least 54 things
16. Spend at least 1 hour on organizing financial paperwork
17. Put away clean handwashed dishes.
18. Empty dishwasher and repack.
19. Clean off kitchen counters.
20. Finish Cleaning the fronts of the cupboards in the kitchen.
21. Organize the two files I brought home from work this weekend.
22. Exercise!
23. Finish knitting my cousin's Christmas present. :

Somehow, I don't think I'm going to get all of this done today. DH might be able to help. I'm not sure yet if he is going to have to work or not. He didn't get to bed until 4:30 am because he was working. Anyway, I do have tomorrow night to get some things done before my parents get here.

Since some of these numbers actually involve multiple tasks -- gas in two cars, clean two bathrooms -- I'm going to put a smiley for each task in the number so if I only get some done, I can still check something off!
#27 of 61 Old 01-21-2007, 01:13 PM

Wow, you girls are ambitious!

We're going to keep plugging along, doing the same thing as yesterday:

I'm waiting for the washer to be done so I can throw that in the dryer and start another load of blankets/sheets.

The kitchen needs to be cleaned up from breakfast - dh does the first layer then I come in and fine tune. That's our system. He misses the details, and everything at once is overwhelming to me so it works out well!

Then we need to go upstairs and get all the clothes to donate out of our room, straighten and vaccuum.

Same with the kids rooms. Oh, and the hallway always has misc stuff littered around.

Later today, after I'm done the wash, I'll remake all the beds with fresh sheets and blankets.

The back porch needs to be cleared of stuff we didn't know what to do with, but that shouldn't take long.

I need to scrub the bathroom and powder rooms, too.

And by the time we're done that, I'll need to straighten the living room and dining room from the kids playing while we're busy. :

Oh, and I need to get the kids to find all the library books/tapes.

Last thing I'll do is vaccuum. Then we'll be done!

At some point in there, I need to make dinner and stop at the store. Which means a shower and getting dressed - just stuff to take more time away from cleaning. : Hopefully, that doesn't take me out of my "groove".

That's the plan anyway....
#28 of 61 Old 01-21-2007, 01:55 PM

today i already

1. cleaned master bathroom 15 min
2. cleaned guest bathroom 15 min
3. started the crockpot and dishes while boiling eggs for ds1's breakfast 15min
4. started a load of diapers 5 min

i'm going to take a nap while ds is with dh and then
i want to

5. wash dish rags, towels, rags from cleaning bathroom..5 mins
6. fold and put away clothes..that will take an hour at least
7. if time declutter office
8. straighten up ds1's books and toys. probably going to hide some stuff.
(too many toys!)
9. pick up before bed..about 10 mins

total that should be about 3 hours

i would love to make some oatmeal cookies and exercise but i dont think that counts as cleaning. i really want to do something fun with ds1 too. maybe he'll help me cook the cookies.
#29 of 61 Old 01-21-2007, 02:47 PM

I wanted to be in last night but we got a whole order of videos in the mail.

So I am in today for 2 hours I think. It will take most of all day I'm sure. Not feeling real well today but I think I'll feel better if i get moving.
#30 of 61 Old 01-21-2007, 02:52 PM

So far, I'm having a frustrating day. Everything I try to do keeps getting curtailed so that I'm 1/2 done with several things. I try to clean the first bathroom, and discover that the sink has been leaking and the bottom shelf of the vanity is rotted and moldy. So now DH has to fix the sink and the shelf has to be removed. There is probably a yucky moldy mess to be cleaned once the shelf is removed.

So I went outside to start working on some of the outside projects. I started cutting down the strange tree beside the house and apparently disturbed a fire ant nest. I got at least 3 bites. I am allergic to fire ants. The first time I was bit, a little over a year ago, 4 bites was enough to send me to the emergency room. It did not affect my breathing fortunately, but my ears swelled closed so I couldn't hear, and I got hot/cold flashes. I also break out in hives all over my body. I've gotten bit a couple of times since then, and I just take a Benadryl and it goes away. But I've only gotten 1 or 2 bites. I just took a Benadryl and now I am sitting here eating something -- I react badly when I take medicine without food.

I think I might stick to doing some indoor work for a little while...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page