Pics of my small house...... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 62 Old 01-26-2007, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After reading several threads about everyone else's small house, it inspired me to share some pictures of mine. Ours is 1250 sq feet and sits on two acres. There are five of us in this house. We've lived here for almost three years. We left a 2000 sq ft 4 bedroom, 3 bath home for this one so we could live mortgage free. It's three bedrooms and one bath. We gutted this house before we moved in and moved walls and added closets, so even though it's small it's arranged very well. Here are the pics:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...r/100_2805.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...r/100_3151.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...r/100_3155.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...r/100_3154.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/mstudler/100_3159.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...r/100_3159.jpg

These are the closets in the master bedroom
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...r/100_3158.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...r/100_3148.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...r/100_3149.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...r/100_3147.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...r/100_3146.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...r/100_3145.jpg

Only bathroom in the house
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...100_3139-1.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...r/100_3137.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...r/100_3160.jpg

The girls share this room
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...r/100_3161.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...r/100_3163.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...r/100_3162.jpg
#2 of 62 Old 01-26-2007, 12:50 PM

It's absolutely lovely. Thanks for sharing.
#3 of 62 Old 01-26-2007, 12:55 PM

Thats really nice. I like how warm everything feels and all the family pics you have around.
#4 of 62 Old 01-26-2007, 01:35 PM

You guys did a really nice job redoing the house to make it so livable.

A well laid out floor plan really makes a house work. So many house have nasty floor plans IMO
#5 of 62 Old 01-26-2007, 01:56 PM

Very pretty.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#6 of 62 Old 01-26-2007, 02:04 PM

AWESOME pictures!

Our home is pretty similarly uncluttered. My brother is always coming over and saying that our home looks "bare" but honestly, to me it looks VERY relaxed. Their home is 5500 square feet (with a COMPLETELY FILLED 3 1/2 car garage...filled with stuff that is : ) and the rest of the house is filled with stuff as well.

I grew up in a very cluttered home, and our home (though it was 3500 square feet, full basement, large 4 bedroom colonial) ALWAYS felt very small as it was filled with stuff. Maybe why our home feels so big to me! Even though it is less than half the square footage.

Thanks for your pictures, your house looks GREAT! I think the kitchen is awesome, mine is about half that size. Our home is 1800 square feet, no basement. I really think, with bunkbeds we would definitely be able to fit a very large family in here comfortably still!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#7 of 62 Old 01-26-2007, 02:53 PM

Wow, it's so bright and clean and uncluttered! I love it. I like how your computer is tucked away in a corner. Where are all the cords? I'm really struggling to make our computer area presentable, and can't figure out how to get the cords untangled and out of view.
#8 of 62 Old 01-26-2007, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydiasmomma View Post
Wow, it's so bright and clean and uncluttered! I love it. I like how your computer is tucked away in a corner. Where are all the cords? I'm really struggling to make our computer area presentable, and can't figure out how to get the cords untangled and out of view.
The cords are tied up behind the computer. We're eventually going to get a laptop and take this space and turn it into a built-in bookshelf. Maybe with a beadboard backing. I hate that it is exposed like it is.
#9 of 62 Old 01-26-2007, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatchristy View Post
AWESOME pictures!

Our home is pretty similarly uncluttered. My brother is always coming over and saying that our home looks "bare" but honestly, to me it looks VERY relaxed. Their home is 5500 square feet (with a COMPLETELY FILLED 3 1/2 car garage...filled with stuff that is : ) and the rest of the house is filled with stuff as well.

I grew up in a very cluttered home, and our home (though it was 3500 square feet, full basement, large 4 bedroom colonial) ALWAYS felt very small as it was filled with stuff. Maybe why our home feels so big to me! Even though it is less than half the square footage.

Thanks for your pictures, your house looks GREAT! I think the kitchen is awesome, mine is about half that size. Our home is 1800 square feet, no basement. I really think, with bunkbeds we would definitely be able to fit a very large family in here comfortably still!
I hate knick-knacks. I don't like a lot of stuff sitting out. The older I get the more I like to just look at empty space. I wasn't always like that though. I'm like you it makes me feel dizzy and uncomfortable to be in a house with clutter.
#10 of 62 Old 01-26-2007, 03:28 PM

It is SO clean. If you click on my blog right now- you can see what my tiny house looks like today. NOT CLEAN!

Your house is beatiful! I love the cabinets and fixtures...we'll get there someday with ours.
#11 of 62 Old 01-26-2007, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmaze View Post
It is SO clean. If you click on my blog right now- you can see what my tiny house looks like today. NOT CLEAN!

Your house is beatiful! I love the cabinets and fixtures...we'll get there someday with ours.
It's a lot easier to keep clean if you don't have a lot of stuff to begin with. The hardest part is keeping the toys picked up in my girl's room.
#12 of 62 Old 01-26-2007, 03:45 PM

Some things I especially loved:
- hooks over the toilet
- all the flowers outside
- your wall colors
- those beautiful floors
- the kitchen!!! *drool*

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#13 of 62 Old 01-26-2007, 03:47 PM

Beautiful pictures. I am amazed at your lack of stuff. Where is everything? I thought I was doing pretty well on my decluttering quest but your house makes me realize how far I still have to go.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#14 of 62 Old 01-26-2007, 04:37 PM

How beautiful and inspiring! I live in a house that's about the same size but we have only two bedrooms. I wish we had more closet/storage space in ours.
#15 of 62 Old 01-26-2007, 04:45 PM

I like it a lot. You know, I think a lot of large homes have a lot of wasted space, that's all they are, just half lived in and half wasted. Like my house, it's not huge but not really small, well it has 2 dining areas. And I just look at the one we don't use and think, WHAT IS IT FOR??? I wish I could just make it go away.... I don't know what I was thinking when I bought a house with 2 dining rooms!!!

Single mom of 2 boys
#16 of 62 Old 01-26-2007, 05:11 PM

Absolutely beautiful. You are a real inspiration to all of the declutter-ers on MDC.

I love your colors!

Amy at Stone Fence Farm
:
#17 of 62 Old 01-26-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couponqueen View Post
I hate knick-knacks. I don't like a lot of stuff sitting out. The older I get the more I like to just look at empty space. I wasn't always like that though. I'm like you it makes me feel dizzy and uncomfortable to be in a house with clutter.
Me TOO! We'd probably get along really well IRL LOL.

I actually (weird as it is) got a lot of my ideas from going to other peoples homes and seeing what they looked like. My parents place was just FILLED. When I went to other homes things were so lovely and streamlined, just like you said there is so much less maintenance with less stuff.

Makes me wonder what your experience was like growing up...what really made you want to live clutter free?

More stuff = chaos to me. It is enough work taking care of what we have right now. I don't need to add chaos to my life.

And, the older I get, the more my dreams and what is important to me changes. I used to invision a very large house, large yard, etc. Well, now honestly I'd rather have a smaller lower maintenance home (ours it pretty average possibly...a good size for our growing family though). Both my sister and brother upgraded to larger homes (much larger in my brother's case) and their clutter just expanded to the larger space : . It seems like that is a trend that happens!

I have to keep up on mine all the time. I do have tendencies sadly (growing up in a hoarder home essentially: ) so as new things come in the home I give older things away. Christmas is a BIG donation time for me!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#18 of 62 Old 01-26-2007, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatchristy View Post
Me TOO! We'd probably get along really well IRL LOL.

I actually (weird as it is) got a lot of my ideas from going to other peoples homes and seeing what they looked like. My parents place was just FILLED. When I went to other homes things were so lovely and streamlined, just like you said there is so much less maintenance with less stuff.

Makes me wonder what your experience was like growing up...what really made you want to live clutter free?

More stuff = chaos to me. It is enough work taking care of what we have right now. I don't need to add chaos to my life.

And, the older I get, the more my dreams and what is important to me changes. I used to invision a very large house, large yard, etc. Well, now honestly I'd rather have a smaller lower maintenance home (ours it pretty average possibly...a good size for our growing family though). Both my sister and brother upgraded to larger homes (much larger in my brother's case) and their clutter just expanded to the larger space : . It seems like that is a trend that happens!

I have to keep up on mine all the time. I do have tendencies sadly (growing up in a hoarder home essentially: ) so as new things come in the home I give older things away. Christmas is a BIG donation time for me!
Growing up, my parent's house was not cluttered. I, on the other hand, was just the opposite. I used to love having a lot of stuff. It's only been since we moved here that I realized I don't need a lot of stuff. That one or two bigger decorative items look just as good or better than a bunch of knick knacks. I think, for me, it has to do with age. I'm 34 and the older I get the less "stuff" I want to have to worry with and try to find a place for. I like to look at empty counter tops and dressers. It makes me feel more peaceful. Plus, when you're cleaning, it's so much easier to dust if nothing is there to have to remove or dust around.
#19 of 62 Old 01-26-2007, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Fence View Post
Absolutely beautiful. You are a real inspiration to all of the declutter-ers on MDC.

I love your colors!
I chose colors that made me feel relaxed and cheerful. I like for things to look clean and light.
#20 of 62 Old 01-26-2007, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewb View Post
Beautiful pictures. I am amazed at your lack of stuff. Where is everything? I thought I was doing pretty well on my decluttering quest but your house makes me realize how far I still have to go.
Everything has it's place and fits well. It makes me evaluate my purchases a lot more. If I don't have a place for it, then I don't need it. Now, for keepsake items (kid's baby clothes, trophies etc.) we have a three car detached garage to the side of the house. So, I have some storage out there, but not more that 4 or 5 rubbermaid totes and that includes my Christmas stuff.
#21 of 62 Old 01-26-2007, 06:48 PM

oohhh, I LOVE your house!!!!
#22 of 62 Old 01-26-2007, 06:50 PM

Very sweet home you have! I esp. like the little window in your kitchen & the lighting. TFS!
#23 of 62 Old 01-27-2007, 02:07 AM

Wow, what a picturesque home, so bright and airy. It doesn't look like 1200 sq. ft. at all! I can imagine how lovely it looks sitting on two acres.

Zachary (Jan. 16, 05), Blossom (Sept. 14, 08)
::
#24 of 62 Old 01-27-2007, 04:03 AM

I am loving that kitchen. Sooo lovely! I love little clean houses!
#25 of 62 Old 01-27-2007, 12:36 PM

Very nice!

My house is the same size and we also are prety good about being clutter-free. But I have to ask....WHERE ARE THE TOYS?!?!?! Doesn't your dc have stuff that does not neatly fit somewhere? We do not really have closets. Dd has things like doll strollers, a small kitchen set, etc.... that does not just tuck any somewhere. I am looking for suggestions.
#26 of 62 Old 01-27-2007, 12:52 PM

couponqueen,

I love the stars above the mantle. Off to start a new thread seeking some advice.
#27 of 62 Old 01-27-2007, 01:02 PM

I'm in love with your home! It's beautiful and very inspiring.
#28 of 62 Old 01-27-2007, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilacmoon View Post
couponqueen,

I love the stars above the mantle. Off to start a new thread seeking some advice.
Thanks. I got them at Pottery Barn.
#29 of 62 Old 01-27-2007, 01:33 PM

You have a really lovely home. I would ideally love to live so simply, but my dh is a pack rat, but we are working on that. I am working hard to simplify and streamline things around here, but sometimes it is hard because the place is so small, I feel like I have no room to tuck things neatly away. There is a lot of clutter on counter surfaces in the kitchen and bathrooms. I mean it's not clutter like useless nick naks, but stuff we use that we just can't find room for in cabinets and drawers

Where are all your small kitchen appliances like your toaster, coffee maker, mixer, food processor, blender, etc. My kitchen counters are so cluttered with all that kind of stuff. Also I have a bread box, cookbooks, fruits and veggies that can't go in the fridge, a crock full of cooking utensils, a sugar bowl, a salt cellar, and the list goes on. I would love for my kitchen to look as neat as yours, but I would know were to put everything.

coolshine.gif

#30 of 62 Old 01-27-2007, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Very nice!

My house is the same size and we also are prety good about being clutter-free. But I have to ask....WHERE ARE THE TOYS?!?!?! Doesn't your dc have stuff that does not neatly fit somewhere? We do not really have closets. Dd has things like doll strollers, a small kitchen set, etc.... that does not just tuck any somewhere. I am looking for suggestions.
We don't have any large plastic toys in the house. Everything fits in the two closets (they're good size with organizers) or under the bed. I've had those big plastic toys and they never get played with, so we just don't buy anything like that and we tell others not to as well. I got some great pink snap together fabric boxes at Lillian Vernon. One holds all the Polly Pockets, another holds Bratz dolls and clothes etc. They stack really nice and hide the toys. They also have those rubbermaid drawers on rollers. Each of them have one in their closets. I have doll clothes in those. My son, who is almost ten, doesn't really have toys anymore. He has legos and they are in one of those large rolling under-the-bed storage containers. His room is easy to keep organized. The girls, however, are very messy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page