Monthly single room theme challenge? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-27-2007, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was thinking it would be fun to do a theme decluttering challenge. Like we as a group pick a room, living room, master bedroom, kitchen, etc. and do a challenge specific to that room. Everyone post pictures of their before and then everyone can share ideas on that room and then we'll post pictures of the after. What do you think?

I was thinking like 'February Kitchen Challenge' - post pictures of your kitchen (tidied up, but in its current state of organization), including inside cabinets, etc. during the first week. Then we'll have at it and at the end we can share the before and after pictures at the end of the month.

What do you think? I think I would be so motivated by a declutter-a-long

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2007, 07:27 PM

I don't know if I dare to show pictures. But I think it's a great idea and I'll follow along!
Old 01-27-2007, 08:18 PM

I think it would be neat. If you saw the other pics of my kitchen in the what does your house look like now thread, there is a ton of stuff on my counters. I am trying to figure out a way to put everything away. It did have its spot, but I don't like it now. Oh my poor dh, everytime he goes looking for a glass they are in a different place I would really like some ideas.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:13 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I'll join, and start on the kitchen, but I can't find the camera (in this cluttered mess ), so you have to do without before pictures. Besides, I don't know how to post pics here anyway. Anyone up to giving me a brief lesson, on the off-chance I find the camera (and batteries, and its chip)?

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

Old 01-28-2007, 12:25 AM

Old 01-28-2007, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarhu View Post
I'll join, and start on the kitchen, but I can't find the camera (in this cluttered mess ), so you have to do without before pictures. Besides, I don't know how to post pics here anyway. Anyone up to giving me a brief lesson, on the off-chance I find the camera (and batteries, and its chip)?
Anyone can open an account at photobucket.com. You open the account and upload your images and once they are uploaded you'll see three fields under each one - the first one is the URL (http://..etc) you just copy and paste that into your post. I'm happy to help further if there is still some confusion.

Old 01-28-2007, 01:03 AM

I seriously decluttered alot of my kitchen last week, but I am sure I can do more and I still need to completely disinfect so I'm up for it!
Old 01-28-2007, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymoo View Post
Anyone can open an account at photobucket.com. You open the account and upload your images and once they are uploaded you'll see three fields under each one - the first one is the URL (http://..etc) you just copy and paste that into your post. I'm happy to help further if there is still some confusion.
I found the camera, and opened an account with photobucket, on the off-chance I can find some batteries. Sigh... Thanks!

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

Old 01-28-2007, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the how-to I will likely play along -- I just have to figure out which room I want to tackle first!
Old 01-29-2007, 12:15 AM

I'm in!

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

Old 01-29-2007, 05:08 AM

I'll join in!

Mama to Raina (9/06) and Peter (8/09)!
Old 01-29-2007, 12:41 PM

Upon re-reading, I realized we were all supposed to do the same room. (That's what happens when I try to read while DD is in my lap "typing" )

Anyway, my kitchen isn't SO bad, but I will do my kitchen if that's what the group decides. My vote is dining room because this is where my "clutter" ends up before I can get it out the door and to its new owner!

Our dishwasher broke, so I think my kitchen will look extra messy now!
Old 01-29-2007, 12:47 PM

I didn't start immediately when this thread started (the joys of procrastination!), and in 2 or 3 days, the kitchen has deteriorated to a state I can hardly face! Oh, well, I guess that means I need to do it more than ever. But I work 10-12 hour days now for 3 days, so it will have to wait. Who knows if there will even BE a kitchen by Thursday!?!

Old 01-29-2007, 01:07 PM

I'll take it on! Though I'm not sure if I can post pics. Actually my kitchen is a WRECK right now. We skipped doing dishes for a day or two this weekend and it's unbelievable how bad they piled up.

Most of the other rooms in my house are pretty well decluttered but the kitchen has So Much Stuff in it (some by necessity, some by...accident? LOL) I think it's the perfect room for me to work on all month.

Do you consider dirty dishes to be clutter? One of my kids suggested we pare down to one plate, one bowl, one cup (plus silverware) per person...I have read this before but thought my family would never do it...but now that I can see my kids are mostly able to (with help) wash their own dishes I think we could manage it. I am considering trying it once I get the dishes done.

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
Old 01-29-2007, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

I just used kitchen as an example, it doesn't have to be kitchen to start or anything. Why don't we vote on what room to start with?

I figure the 'start' should be the room in a pickedup state - so dirty dishes put away, etc. Since its not a cleaning challenge but a decluttering challenge - so things should be wehre they go, then its time to figure out how to organize them better make sense?

I'll do a poll to figure out what room we should start with - I'll use these options:

Kitchen,
Playroom / Play area
Master bedroom
Kids room
Living room / Family room
Office / Office area
Bathroom

Any others I should have on the list? I figure you may have more than one area in your house that fits the title, but you just pick the one you want to work on. Then when you post your before pictures, tell everyone the areas you have trouble with and those you think work well (so others can give suggestions and you we can get ideas from each other). Maybe we should have everyone state what they dislike most about the room and what they love most about the room too?

Old 01-29-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I just used kitchen as an example, it doesn't have to be kitchen to start or anything. Why don't we vote on what room to start with?

I figure the 'start' should be the room in a pickedup state - so dirty dishes put away, etc. Since its not a cleaning challenge but a decluttering challenge - so things should be wehre they go, then its time to figure out how to organize them better make sense?

I'll do a poll to figure out what room we should start with - I'll use these options:

Kitchen,
Playroom / Play area
Master bedroom
Kids room
Living room / Family room
Office / Office area
Bathroom

Any others I should have on the list? I figure you may have more than one area in your house that fits the title, but you just pick the one you want to work on. Then when you post your before pictures, tell everyone the areas you have trouble with and those you think work well (so others can give suggestions and you we can get ideas from each other). Maybe we should have everyone state what they dislike most about the room and what they love most about the room too?
Sounds good to me. My suggestions are guest room or dining room
Old 01-29-2007, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthasam View Post
Sounds good to me. My suggestions are guest room or dining room
Thank you - I knew I was going to forget some becasue we don't have as many rooms in our house! We usurped the dining room for a playroom.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

I figured we'll leave off porch or garage since its winter.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:45 PM

Can I get in on this? I vote for playroom or kitchen to start off with, but I can certainly do any of them! Actually, our playroom and office are in the same space (supposed to be formal living and dining rooms), but I would be doing both of them.

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

Old 01-29-2007, 01:47 PM

SAme here - our "formal living room" has a home office on one side and DD's play area on the other. Hmmm, this might get my vote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I'll make a poll right now. What I'll do is have it so you can vote multiple choices - everyone can vote for the few rooms they would like to see done first.

Old 01-29-2007, 02:01 PM

I'm hyped on the idea of doing the kitchen first!

I'd love to add "garage" to that list once the weather warms up.

I'm sort of decluttering as I clean this morning. I guess it doesn't matter what turn this thread takes, I'm on a roll with my kitchen and I'd better stick with it until it is done!

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
Old 01-29-2007, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

I think even if we pick a room that folks feel they have already decluttered, I'd love to see them participate and show off their room so we can get inspiration and ideas from them too!

Old 01-29-2007, 02:14 PM

I'd be in....kitchen sounds like a ggod place to start

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 01-29-2007, 03:09 PM

I'm definelty in, but would also like to work on my pantry/laundry room at some point too
Old 01-29-2007, 07:54 PM

KITCHEN!
Please please please

My kitchen is an absolute wreck right now, and it makes me crazy. When the kitchen is clean and orderly my whole life goes more smoothly. Right now every inch of counter space is just covered with stuff. Dirty dishes, recycling, the sharp knives, mail, random crap, etc...And I'm sure I could do a much better job with where I keep things inside the cabinets.

I've been reading 'Organizing From The Inside Out' so that might help me decide where to keep things.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:04 PM

What a great idea! I'm in-my whole house needs decluttering!

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
Old 01-29-2007, 08:08 PM

I am anxious to see what the poll results show!!

I'm in for any room at this point, I think there is always room for improvement
Old 01-29-2007, 10:06 PM

Maybe we can list what we decluttered or plan to declutter. A master plan for each room may be helpful then we can check off as we go.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

Old 01-31-2007, 05:33 AM

I'm in! My kitchen is pretty clean, but the cupboards and drawers really need to be sorted, wiped out and decluttered. We also have this bad random counter top from the previous owners who tore down the wall, and it's always piled with crap. I would love some tips from you guys on how to keep it looking nice.

Glad I found this as dh and I have been working alot on our kitchen lately.

User Tag List