Moving Challenge/support - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-30-2007, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have our house up for sale starting this week and we have bought another house in another part of our town.

We are boxing up several things to just give the house an airy feel and also get ready to move. Even though its a small distance to move, I still want to freecycle, ebay, and other things to get rid of things.

So if you're moving, whether cross country, cross oceans or across town lets chat.

So some questions I have and things I want to discuss:

ebay etc now or later?
what are you boxing up now? where are you putting it?
hiring a co to move you (we are for the furniture etc)

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#2 of 4 Old 01-30-2007, 03:15 PM

ebay etc now or later?

I'm doing it as I pack. Most of it isn't worth selling. I'm going to put our TV and a few other "big ticket" items on Craigslist. But the rest is being donated to charity. Last week, I said goodbye to 7 boxes and 3 garbage bags worth of stuff. It's amazing what we can aquire! So I box it up as I clean out and pack a room, and call the charity for pick-up as soon as I have a decent pile by the door.

I'm boxing up seasonal stuff. We have some sports stuff that we rarely use but want to hang onto. Golf clubs and things like that. I'm clearing a spot in the garage so we can store it in there, so that it'll be really easy to transfer it all to the truck.

hiring a co to move you (we are for the furniture etc)

We're DIY'ers. I've never hired a company. This time, I don't even think we'll be renting a van. DH and his father have been talking about renting containers so that we can store our stuff on the property while we renovate the house (we'll be staying with his father on the property while we renovate, as far as I know). So we'll either 1) have the container brought to our house so we can pack it, and then have it dropped off at the new house; or 2) gradually bring things down over the course of a couple weekends, with the family's 14' trailer. Option 2 will be good, because then we can sort the stuff into two categories: Stuff to go in the house, and stuff to store until the addition is complete.
#3 of 4 Old 01-30-2007, 04:30 PM

DSO and I have just made a offer on a house and we are waiting to hear back from them but we are already cleaning stuff out. The house is the same size as the one we have now but laid out different and we need to get rid of a bunch of stuff. I spend just 4 hours yesterday in our bedroom and got rid of 4 boxes and 3 garbage bags of clothes and stuff. it did not even make a dent in the amount of stuff we have.: Sigh I know that we are packrats because we have many many boxes taht we have never unpacked and the last time we moved was 3 & 1/2 years ago.

ebay etc now or later?
If you are going to do it, do it now don't wait and have to move it and then sell it. If it were me i would never get around to it.

I am trying to box up everything i don't need and i am going to put it in our storage unit. Then when we move we are going to take eventhing to the new house and get rid of the storage unit.

hiring a co to move you.
I would not hire anyone to move us but we have a big truck and trailer taht we use and we can get most every thing in about three trips.
#4 of 4 Old 01-30-2007, 06:15 PM

I don't have any advice on ebay--though If you *do* hire movers then you might find that high-quality items make great motivators/tips for the moving folks.

When I move (and I've done it a grand total of 50 times) I look to have everything that does not see everyday use boxed at least 3 days before moving day. I've found that this reduces moving stress a lot, especially if you start packing at leisurely pace a month or two ahead. Also, I plan and pack a suitcase with my wardrobe/bathroom essentials one week in advance. It's so much easier to work out of a suitcase then to try and pack two closets full at the last minute. Husbands TV, current books and telephone are packed on moving day.

In-town moves I do a little differently than out-of-town. Mainly, I try to have the old house kitchen items packed up a few days in advance and move those over to the new place to be set up before any of the other stuff arrives. Then I get the furniture moved over and set up. Boxes come last.

Hiring a moving company I've done this a couple of different ways:

1.) We've hired moving companies for two separate, cross-country moves, both using the guidlines outlined by movingscam.com. Both experiences I would rate as good. The come in and do the work without needing much direction. We paid to have them pack our last move as well, and that was really nice (had only 3 weeks notice to relocate 2000!). You have to be VERY careful when using moving companies. It pays to check references.

2.) The other way we've hired movers is through Labor Ready. Now you really, REALLY have to be super careful when doing this. Labor Ready is a temp agency for manual laborers and you can end up with really good folks or really bad folks.

When I hire from a labor agency I tell them what the job includes and that I need strong, motivated men. When they arrive I tell them that if all gets done in the alotted time and nothing get's broken, we will give them a bonus worth X amount. Then I offer them drinks and tell them that pizza will arrive in two hours and that there will be two, ten minute breaks in between lunch. Ten I ask if there are any questions and after that I show them the stuff to be moved, and in what order it needs to go in.

It is really important to be organized and fully packed because they are not trained movers and must be guided. They are also not insured so if your stuff get's broken there's no recourse. Do not leave out any valuables.

We usually spend about $300 (fee, tips & food) hiring through Labor Ready where it would cost between $1200-$1800 to hire professionally--and that does not include packing.

I know this is long--sorry--guess I got on a role!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page