One Room Challenge - THE KITCHEN! - Come Join! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-21-2007, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw this thread and wanted to check it out, just because I like stalking MightMoo.

I have always been really organized, so I didn't really need to declutter or organize anything in the kitchen. We are serious minimalists except when it comes to food.

I do, however have a corner of the unfinished basement that needs serious work. My mother lives with us, and this area is all her stuff that I am trying hard to get her to throw out. She's lived with us for over 2 years and hasn't touched anything in the this corner since she moved in. It's the first picture in this photobucket.

http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t99/velochic/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2007, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kateana View Post
Thank you!

In the last few days, I've emptied, cleaned, and refilled the cabinets and drawers (thank God for DD's 3 hour naps!!). Also, DH brought up several boxes of packed stuff. I went through them, and now it's time to send the overflow back down to the basement. By tonight, I should be on to the fun, creative stuff!

Anyone have ideas of what colors could go with the orange cabinets??
I tend to do color matching rather instinctually - I would just go to the store and get like every single paint chip and throw them all over the place and start eliminating. I think since the cabinets are such a strong color, you want to go with something light and more on the neutral side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
I saw this thread and wanted to check it out, just because I like stalking MightMoo.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
Old 02-21-2007, 07:35 PM

Thanks for the suggestions on the colors... I think I might do what both of you said... I'll go get all the blue and orange paintchips I can find, and go from there. I was actually thinking of doing a couple other shades of orange, like a dark burnt orange and a lighter sherbert orange for accents... For some reason we thought orange would be such a good idea when we moved in... And then we spent months priming, sanding (over and over and over and...)painting them. And now we don't know what to do with them. We should have done white or black. Oh well.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kateana View Post
Anyone have ideas of what colors could go with the orange cabinets??
i LOVE your orange cabinets. Are you looking for a wall color or just accent colors? In your picture of your cabinet that holds the bowls and such, I saw a pretty turqouise (sp) bowl - that color would be beautiful with orange!! (I love bright colors! )

Lee Ann ~ SAHM to Carolina(4)uc.jpg, Aurora (2)uc.jpg, and belly.gifwith #3 - due in December!
Old 02-21-2007, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I love your cabinets to. My walls are that color. I put sage green and white with mine. Let's see if I can link it LOL

www.flickr.com/photos/simplelivingmomma

It has more than the kitchen but you can still see it.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3boz View Post
I love your cabinets to. My walls are that color. I put sage green and white with mine. Let's see if I can link it LOL

I love your hummingbird and butterfly

Old 02-22-2007, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina~mom2be View Post
i LOVE your orange cabinets. Are you looking for a wall color or just accent colors? In your picture of your cabinet that holds the bowls and such, I saw a pretty turqouise (sp) bowl - that color would be beautiful with orange!! (I love bright colors! )
I am mostly looking for accent colors... for the chair seats, curtains, and other accents. Also, I *might* end up painting something on the wall, like the silhouette of a tree or something to that effect (it would be a silhouette, no matter what color or image I choose...).

Turquoise is a great idea. It's been one of my favorites recently. I'll add that to the color swatches I bring home.

If you like bright colors, you should have seen our house before prepping to sell... wall to wall colors. : It was fun at first, but I won't ever do it again, it was a pain to paint over.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:48 AM

Quote:

It looks way better on your walls than my cabinets! I really like what you've done with it...
Old 02-22-2007, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cece View Post
I think that blues go well with orange (a combo that I Loooove by the way). I think a grayish blue would be great. Great work by the way!
We just picked out orange and blue paint for our kitchen on Monday! Orange for the kitchen walls and darker blue for the laundry area wall.

Like a pp said, turquoise might look nice or a sky blue maybe?

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
Old 02-22-2007, 04:38 AM

i am very pleased with hqw far i have gotten in the kitchen.
i organized and added a hanging basket to one of our base cabinets and cleaned and purged most of the other one. i went to ikea and found the perfect thing to hold our plastic wrap and foil. my ds always gets into it where i have it currently, so i bought a thing i can mount to the back of the cellar door to hold all of our wraps.
i had wanted to get my dad in here to install the counter that is just sitting in our basement, but i bet i will have to wait till after the end of febuary.
so most things here are done, now i just have to work on cleaning up after myself... like not be on the computer all night instead of doing the dishes sitting in the sink...
kateana my ds was also born on labor day of 05, pretty cool

so what room will we be working on for march?
i can't wait to start planning for it
Old 02-22-2007, 04:48 AM

Quote:

OMG I looked at your pictures and that exact same orange/green/gold shelf paper was lining the shelves and entire interiors (sides and backs) of all of my old kitchen cabinets. OOOO I shudder to think of it. Everytime I opened those cabinets it was such a jolt. But it matched the harvest gold appliances and orange formica counters with their full-height orange backsplashes so perfectly. : And I would be remiss not to note that it was actually 70's paper, not 50's...

those lovely cabinets are now in our garage waiting to be hung.

Not to imply any kind of dislike for your use of that paper, in small doses it would have been fine. It was just more than I could take.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowenTherapist View Post
so what room will we be working on for march?
i can't wait to start planning for it
Well, when we did the poll before starting this one, the kitchen was neck in neck with the master bedroom, it was only a few votes behind, so I was thinking we should do the master bedroom for March, then we'll do another poll at the end of March to see what's next. I chose to mostly decorate my kitchen because I had already done a lot of decluttering, but my master bedroom needs some serious decluttering help - our closets are stuffed with rubbermaid containers of clothes I haven't seen in years!

Old 02-22-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymoo View Post
Well, when we did the poll before starting this one, the kitchen was neck in neck with the master bedroom, it was only a few votes behind, so I was thinking we should do the master bedroom for March, then we'll do another poll at the end of March to see what's next. I chose to mostly decorate my kitchen because I had already done a lot of decluttering, but my master bedroom needs some serious decluttering help - our closets are stuffed with rubbermaid containers of clothes I haven't seen in years!
WOO HOO master bedroom was my first choice, so this will be great! I might start now since my sister is here and can help me sort through stuff.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowenTherapist View Post
kateana my ds was also born on labor day of 05, pretty cool
Funny... I think they have a sense of humor; first because LABOR on labor Day, and second, because everyone else has the day off on Labor Day but us!
Old 02-22-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Well, when we did the poll before starting this one, the kitchen was neck in neck with the master bedroom, it was only a few votes behind, so I was thinking we should do the master bedroom for March, then we'll do another poll at the end of March to see what's next.
Woo-hoo! My master bedroom was what I wanted to do next, too! It's actually very simple and decluttered right now, but we've been planning to switch our bedroom with the craft room/office so we have more room. Right now we just sleep in our MB and it seems like such a waste of space.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:56 AM

So I still need to sort through my dishes.

I am wondering how many mugs does everyone have?

Old 02-23-2007, 02:09 AM

We have 5ish in the cupboards, and then a box of the coffee cups that belong to the set of dishes we use, which we pull out if there are a ton of ppl coming over.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalulu View Post
So I still need to sort through my dishes.

Right now, 3 mugs that go with our dish set, smaller like a 4-6oz size (I think we broke one, we had four originally) and two weird big pyramid mugs that DH had been given from work (they have work logos on them yuk) - I use those for my tea, but I want to replace them with prettier big mugs. So 5 mugs. I ditched all the teacups we had because I never used them.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalulu View Post

we have 6

Christina, mama to 2 sweet girls

10.26.12 (HBAC!)
namaste.gif   neg.gif  sewmachine.gif   homebirth.jpg homeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpg

Old 02-23-2007, 06:15 PM

ok I think I can safely cut down on the mugs. I must have 15 in the cupboard and I just sent dh to work with about 8.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

I like to think of things as how many I really need to have in active use at any one time. Sure, with my two tea mugs, I might have to wash one to use it, but then again I'd have to wash it anyway at some point, so the more I have, the more I have that can pile up dirty. I've really come to realize that less of something is so much better for cleaning, it means I can't just reach for a clean one and then have two dirty ones sitting there instead of one when I'm done.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:27 PM

I decided to get my butt in gear and decluttered my WHOLE kitchen after the baby went down last night. Holy smokes! It needed doing. I got rid of about 1.5 laundry baskets full of stuff and wiped everything down. The only thing I need to think about a little more is our stonewear...I like it and we use it, but not ALL of it all the time. I just need some more time to think about it. But I can at least focus my energy there now that everything else is sorted through. Thanks for the inspiration, mamas!

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

Old 02-23-2007, 06:39 PM

Yesterday, all I could manage was the dining room table (was piled with junk, now sorted into piles ) and the fridge door. But I also cooked dinner (rare for me, DH is the cook), and cleaned up after myself. Whooooopie! Also, I think I came up with the colors for my dining room and kitchen: I'm thinking that the main color will be dark brown and the accent will be turquoise. In my head, it looks good, but I will definitely be getting some paint samples to figure it out for sure.

Now I have to figure out what to paint on the wall. I know I want it to be a silhouette of something... I'm stuck on this idea: silhouettte of a large tree (w/o leaves) in dark brown, with a turquoise bird (silhouette also) on one of the branches. But I'm very open to suggestions.

Oh! And somebody came to the house to pick up my box of kitchen junk today!
Old 02-23-2007, 07:51 PM

http://adobe.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?...&x=0&y=-c76x87

I have never shared pictures before, I hope this link works!

I was so inspired by everyone that I decluttered every single cabinet, it feels so good! Thank you everyone, especially those that posted pictures. For some reason peering into everyone's kitchens was the best inspiration for me.

Blessings,

~Traci, wife to DH 4-88. Mom to 3 homebirthed sons, 22,20&17

The Blue Door Farmhouse & traci.mymomentis.biz

Old 02-23-2007, 08:29 PM

Traci, your kitchen looks amazing. I love how bright it looks.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:15 PM

DH asked me what I planned to do with the extra space in the closet/cabinets

I said - "Enjoy it!!"
Old 02-25-2007, 07:54 PM

We are still debating the "tower of ovens". I'm thinking of just getting rid of the huge microwave, but DH insists we use it a lot. I only use it to heat up water, so I would like to replace it with an electric kettle and just keep the toaster oven.

Anyway, what do you all think of hanging mail bins/sorters? Do they look messy or cluttered? I was hoping it would help with the mail pile that seems to generate on the counter. I thought I saw one in someone's picture tour...

I was considering one for the wall to the right of the ovens. Something like this but less expensive
Old 02-25-2007, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

I have a post box below a mirror, so it has some spaces like that, it is a bit of a clutter magnet, but it can only get so cluttered, and it is better I think than the clutter accumulating on the counter. I do think that a bunch of letters in something that looks like its designed for it is better than a bunch on the counter.

I want to get one little one for near my kitchen door to put outgoing mail in. I had a cloth one (ugly, didn't match new decor at all) but the concept worked well fo rme, it was somewhere near hte door to put outgoing mail to college, I just need to find a good replacement piece and I'm having trouble.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:
I have a post box below a mirror, so it has some spaces like that, it is a bit of a clutter magnet, but it can only get so cluttered, and it is better I think than the clutter accumulating on the counter. I do think that a bunch of letters in something that looks like its designed for it is better than a bunch on the counter.

I want to get one little one for near my kitchen door to put outgoing mail in. I had a cloth one (ugly, didn't match new decor at all) but the concept worked well fo rme, it was somewhere near hte door to put outgoing mail to college, I just need to find a good replacement piece and I'm having trouble.

THe wall in my kitchen is right near our laundry room door (which leads to the garage), so it would be a great spot for us for incoming and outgoing mail. I'm just afraid it's going to be a mess That wall is very visible in the kitchen.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthasam View Post
THe wall in my kitchen is right near our laundry room door (which leads to the garage), so it would be a great spot for us for incoming and outgoing mail. I'm just afraid it's going to be a mess That wall is very visible in the kitchen.
Well I think the key to managing mail is dealing with it immediately. So much is junk - I recycle everything but the essentials out as soon as it comes in the door.

User Tag List