Forum Jump: 

Old 02-08-2007, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInSeptember View Post
unlegal-

I would buy a closet rod/spring loaded curtain rod and a straight hanging curtain or piece of fabric to cover the pantry. Straight hanging keeps extra fabric out of the way- no pleats or ruffles, and preferable tabs and buttons on the top, or wide metal grommets. Choose white or another bright color, since you say your kitchen is dark. Can you add lighting anywhere? Cleaning up the clutter will brighten the kitchen, because there will be more clear spaces to reflect light- especially getting the front of the fridge cleaned off.
That's a great idea ! I'm getting a sewing machine soon, so I can sew up a curtain for there.

I've always wanted a fridge covered in pictures and stuff, but it just makes everything feel so closed in. I think that will really help out to get everything off of there. (Maybe just a couple magnets? )

Nicole | Mom to Ciara & Oliver | Finally living aboard & loving it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2007, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlegal View Post
That's a great idea ! I'm getting a sewing machine soon, so I can sew up a curtain for there.

I've always wanted a fridge covered in pictures and stuff, but it just makes everything feel so closed in. I think that will really help out to get everything off of there. (Maybe just a couple magnets? )
Yesterday I took all the pictures off my fridge, it just looked really cluttered. I am loving hte clean look, but the completely blank fridge also looked strange to me, so I am trying out the fridge as the location for the calendar (we had a custom calendar made with our kids pictures as a xmas gift for relatives and kept one ourselves). I like the clean look of one thing on the fridge rather than many. I got a french memo board I'm going to put the pictures on.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
Old 02-08-2007, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInSeptember View Post
For cutlery, I like having it in a drawer. I really like the simplicity of having things away and I love the uncluttered look. Ikea's idea is good for times when you are having buffet style meals or living in a dorm etc. For the home, I like things stored away out of sight.
Well, we're three people living in a one bedroom apt. with a lot of stuff and not a lot of space, so it almost is like dorm living!

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Jean View Post
Okay, I have a few questions that I wanted to throw out there about kitchen storage, because I'm trying to decide on a few possible changes:

-In a few of your kitchens, I've seen the magnetic strips for knives. How do you like them? Do you feel like they're safe? Has it made a big difference in your kitchen, space wise? Is there a reason that a butcher block is better for knives, or is it just to keep them stored safely?

-Where do you store your cutlery? I look at Ikea catalogues for a lot of my organizational inspiration, and I see cutlery out of drawers a lot of the time, like in baskets or caddies hanging on a rack on the wall. I like this idea. What do you guys think?

I thought there was something else, but I can't remember right now.: I'll post when I do!
We have a magnetic knife strip and really like it. We only have 3 drawers (well technically we currently have none because they need to be rebuild) and I like to keep the counter pretty clear, so drawer storage and a block weren't the best options for us. We haven't had problems with safety or anything but we don't have kids. I think safety would depend on the age. Any child old enough to crawl up on stuff could potentially have a really bad accident, I think.

There's been some progress here, although most of it has been on account of DH. : Our magnetic spice board is up and the half door to the pantry has been built but needs paint, some of the baseboards are up. For my part I've scrubbed the glass globes on our pendant lights and am halfway through the pantry.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:37 PM

I sorted through my spices today. I threw out quite a few but they were ones I bought bulk and didn't right the name on the bag so who knows what they actually were! I still have more than I have room for on my racks so I am not sure what I am going to do about that.

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
Old 02-08-2007, 11:38 PM

today, I actually mopped my floor! I don't think I have ever really mopped it. I just usually spray it and wipe it down with a cloth. I also went through my utensils again and got rid of more. I also got rid of my dish set. I kept the 3 dinner plates and 3 bowls. I decluttered my baking items. I am down to 1 set of measuring items. I went through my spices and tossed the expired ones.

I am having some strange organization vibes going on since I watched the Opera show last night. I managed to not only clean my kitchen and declutter a bunch of stuff, but I worked in the garage too. I sorted 5 boxes of stuff. Half went into the trash and the rest was either garage sale worthy or goes somewhere in the house.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

Old 02-09-2007, 12:18 AM

We're done!! but my camera batteries died I better go get more before the kitchen descends into chaos again. I am so happy we did it all in week. I even did the attached laundry and bathroom.

We are definitely going to paint next week, as well as replace our kitchen screen door.

Since we've drastically cut down our dishes to the bare neccesity that we need -- we don't even NEED our dishwasher. Dishes get done immediatly and take about 5 minutes total!! I hate doing dishes with a passion, but this is so gratifying that I have been partaking. Dh is amazed. Also, kitchen cleanup is a snap and I've found that cooking and grocery shopping is so much less daunting because I have only what I need - I don't worry about stocking up or buying more than that. Keeps me in the present.

Thank you for this thread
Old 02-09-2007, 12:24 AM

haven't been doing a whole lot due to : but i think i've decided to move the cat litter box to our master bathroom. we almost never use it and theres already a small trash can in there so cleaning it out would be really simple. it would cut down on the ammonia smell in the pantry. (the diaper pail lives in there too)

i think i'd like a tall lamp to put in the corner by the pantry.

earlier in the week i culled out some of the silverware that i hate. dh wouldn't let me throw it out but i did hide it in a cabinet. it in the space in between two doors so its not in the way but its out of sight.

tonight we replaced the bag for the aluminum box, cleared off the table, and dusted.

re:magnetic strip for knives. I use a butcher block. it would make me nervous to look at all those sharp edges also.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I finally stayed awake long enough to upload pictures!

They're only of a third of my kitchen, though.

The post where I answer the questions is here.

The "entrance" (one of them, anyway) to the kitchen. Each door holds a kids' artwork. The door with the smoke alarm above it goes to the kitchen. The one to the left is a closet we use as a pantry. The one to the right goes to the basement.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...cture_0581.jpg

Inside the "pantry". I'd love to get real shelving for this someday, but it works. It's actually fairly organized, at least for us. Each box has a different type of food.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...cture_0582.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...cture_0583.jpg

The front of the fridge, with the sad remains of organizational attempts of the past gone to rest:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...cture_0584.jpg

The top of the fridge, which could use some work:
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...cture_0584.jpg

Inside the fridge, which really needs work. It doesn't help that one of the bar thingers broke off the inside door, which puts us down a shelf.
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...cture_0586.jpg

The hutch, the door to the playroom (dining room) and Nicholas
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...cture_0585.jpg

Same hutch, same kids, doors open
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...cture_0588.jpg

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 02-09-2007, 04:10 AM

ok, finally i have a quick minute to join on board. i am really looking forward to this! and i have started a few things already.

MY KITCHEN PICTURE TOUR
this will come when i have some free time to do it... i kinda need to crisis clean my living room for tomorrow (hmm, so what am i doing on the computer now... )
i did take pics of everything at the beginning of the month though
WHAT I LIKE BEST ABOUT MY KITCHEN (Include a picture!)
i like that it is a 50's style kitchen, i like the retro look, and i love my kitchen table. i found it, and 4 chairs, for $20 at a tag sale

WHAT I LIKE LEAST ABOUT MY KITCHEN
absolutely no counter space and very little storage for dishes & glasses
not one drawer in the whole kitchen!!

MY PLAN OF ACTION
i painted the base cabinets, and i would like to paint the walls and ceiling.
install the new cabinet hardware
clean, organize, re shelf paper the food storage cabinets
devise some sort of drawer for storage/ better utilize the cabinet by the stove.
put an adjustable shelf in cabinet by the sink
install the counter top that is in my basement
wax floor
new curtains, i have some material i just need to try to make some. anyone have some good ideas on a retro style for curtains?
that's all i can think of for now
Old 02-09-2007, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Jean View Post

-In a few of your kitchens, I've seen the magnetic strips for knives. How do you like them? Do you feel like they're safe? Has it made a big difference in your kitchen, space wise? Is there a reason that a butcher block is better for knives, or is it just to keep them stored safely?

-Where do you store your cutlery? I look at Ikea catalogues for a lot of my organizational inspiration, and I see cutlery out of drawers a lot of the time, like in baskets or caddies hanging on a rack on the wall. I like this idea. What do you guys think?
i just installed a mag strip for the knives.
we were using a block (which is better than a drawer because it keeps the edges sharp and keeps your hands safe when rummaging through drawers)
i switched because one day i came into the kitchen after leaving ds (at the time 14 mos) alone for maybe 2 min. well he had managed to push up a chair and take out all the knives and was waving around the sharpening steel!!!
after that i put the block vertical instead of the normal angle, so it was a little harder to get the knives out. i finally got the knife strip up and it seems to work fine
Old 02-09-2007, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowenTherapist View Post
we were using a block (which is better than a drawer because it keeps the edges sharp and keeps your hands safe when rummaging through drawers)
i switched because one day i came into the kitchen after leaving ds (at the time 14 mos) alone for maybe 2 min. well he had managed to push up a chair and take out all the knives and was waving around the sharpening steel!!!
after that i put the block vertical instead of the normal angle, so it was a little harder to get the knives out. i finally got the knife strip up and it seems to work fine

I just know my DD is going to do this someday. I don't think my DS ever will. But DD is a different sort than he is.

We'll probably just stick the knife block up in a cabinet to ride out the period where stuff up high is interesting to her.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:47 AM

Just posted my "before" pics in my OP, #65... woo hoo. Can cross that task off my to-do list!
Old 02-09-2007, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowenTherapist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmansions View Post
We'll probably just stick the knife block up in a cabinet to ride out the period where stuff up high is interesting to her.
My knife block is in a cabinet with a child lock (we have the magnetic kind).

Old 02-09-2007, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

I want to put the knobs I bought on my cabinets. But I'm wondering where I should put them? Here are the cabinets. THey are just regular knobs, not handles. Should I put them in the corner or a few inches up? Anyone have cabinets with knobs want to share where on the cabinet the knob is?

ETA - nevermind, I searched for white laminate kithcne cabinets on google images and found this: www.bestbuycabinets.net/image/3199257.jpg I think I'll do it like that.

Old 02-09-2007, 02:05 PM

Here we are, the 9th already, and I haven't done one single thing with the kitchen. Today will change that! I am going to spend 15 minutes of every hour decluttering the kitchen. It doesn't sound like much, but I need to spend 15 minutes working on planning my homeschooling co-op class, 15 minutes playing with the littles, and even though that only adds up to 45 minutes, it'll take at least an hour, I know it.

Who's with me, doing just 15 minutes each hour? I am going to check back later and post my progress, that will keep me accountable.

Okay, go!

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

Old 02-09-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymoo View Post
I want to put the knobs I bought on my cabinets. But I'm wondering where I should put them? Here are the cabinets. THey are just regular knobs, not handles. Should I put them in the corner or a few inches up? Anyone have cabinets with knobs want to share where on the cabinet the knob is?

ETA - nevermind, I searched for white laminate kithcne cabinets on google images and found this: www.bestbuycabinets.net/image/3199257.jpg I think I'll do it like that.
When we re-did the kitchen in our old house, we had white cabinets and brushed silver knobs in the same locations as the ones in your link. It worked very well for us.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

I did all the cabinet doors and it looks great. I love how finished a knob can make cabinets look. I need to get longer screws for the drawers though, the fronts are double thick.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I can't say I'm not getting discouraged hearing about all the progress some of you are making! : But, I guess I have to remember that since I'm at work all day, I don't really have a choice...

Anyway, I haven't gotten much done since I did the plastics on Tuesday. That was still huge for me, but I haven't been able to move foward since then. I'm hoping to get some things done this weekend. I'm going to put DH to work on the kitchen cart Sunday, so hopefully that will get checked off my list. My sister is going to be over this afternoon/evening, so maybe she can help out with DS while I go through Miscellaneous Mountain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalulu View Post
I threw out quite a few but they were ones I bought bulk and didn't right the name on the bag so who knows what they actually were!
I have this problem too, and I am always kicking myself for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellyaellen View Post
re:magnetic strip for knives. I use a butcher block. it would make me nervous to look at all those sharp edges also.
Definitely something I was thinking about. I'm notorious for giving myself some serious cuts with knives, so this could be very dangerous for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowenTherapist
DS hasn't figured out that he can climb on the chair yet, but he did manage to stand on his tip-toes and grab a steak knive that I left too close to the edge of the counter. I found him waving it around in the air, thinking he was king of the world. It was a pretty scary moment, because I wasn't sure what he was going to do to keep me from getting it away from him, kwim?

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:24 PM

Re; the knife storage... I have a butcher block that I use right now, but I have a magnetic strip waiting to be installed as soon as I figure out where to put it. It does not fit where I thought it would . I saw something on the food network (Alton Brown I think) about how nasty butcher block caddies can get, and I was sold on the strip! Plus we have such little counter space that having back that tiny bit of room the butcherblock takes up would make a huge difference.

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:41 PM

I am loving all these pictures! Seeing how other people live is fascinating, I should have been an anthropologist.

My goal for the weekend is to completely declutter all of my lower cabinets; I have quite a few. I'm counting my progress by the doors I have to open to access the cabinets (does that make sense?), so right now I am at 10/14. I'm feeling burned-out on it, so I'm going to take a break and come back to it tomorrow. So far I've filled a trash bag with trash and another 1.5 bags for charity. The stuff I'm finding is incredible--two sets of brand-new, in the package silverware? Where did it come from? It's not our pattern, so it's going to charity. A dozen placemats with the tags still on? No idea! I found more gluten-contaminated things to give away and found TONS of crumbs in places I never expected them. There have been a few times when my son with celiac disease had a reaction and we couldn't point to a contamination source, but it's possible it was those crumbs and bits of crackers that we found lurking in corners. Yeah, I feel like Mom of the Year for that one!

Good job to everyone on what you've done so far!!!

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

Old 02-10-2007, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenetabbie View Post
... I saw something on the food network (Alton Brown I think) about how nasty butcher block caddies can get, and I was sold on the strip! ...
What did he say about the butcher blocks? I can't imagine it could be too bad in the slots since the knives are always washed and dried before they go back in. Now you've got me really curious.

I cleaned out my utensil drawers. One of the local charities is doing pickups in the neighborhood on Tuesday and I am going to put a bunch of boxes out there. Part of it will be excess kitchen stuff. YAY!
Old 02-11-2007, 01:45 AM

tonites plan of action is to put away the clean dishes and load the dirties.

i bought a new re-nuzit for the pantry today.

oh oh AND i cleaned out the fridge last night. maybe tonight i'll scrub down the inside.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmansions View Post
What did he say about the butcher blocks? I can't imagine it could be too bad in the slots since the knives are always washed and dried before they go back in. Now you've got me really curious.
Might not be a bad idea to soak the block in vinegar or something once in a while I guess.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellyaellen View Post
tonites plan of action is to put away the clean dishes and load the dirties.

i bought a new re-nuzit for the pantry today.

oh oh AND i cleaned out the fridge last night. maybe tonight i'll scrub down the inside.
this is my plan of action for today too. I WILL clean out and scrub the fridge., the rest of the kitchen is done except this !!!
the thing is~ I hate cleaning the refrigerator more than any other household chore, we have a new one and with the old I kept putting off truly scrubbing it because I was hoping it would die and just knew the morn after slaving over it it'd be dead. And... thats pretty much what happened .

also~ maple syrup spilled on the bottom shelf some weeks ago : and I know it'll take much of the afternoon just to remedy that :

once ds is better we will be heading to homedepot to check out counterops and sinks~ , maybe later this week

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
Old 02-11-2007, 01:32 PM

It was a slow but steady week in my kitchen. We have been keeping up with dishes, except when I was away last night DH forgot to turn on the dishwasher, now we have a mess.
I did clean out more cabinets and tackle the top of the fridge.
This week I have to:
wash down inside and outside of fridge
go through cabinets that have vases and other things that I don't use often
organize the pantry cabinet..... scary thought!

Oh I want to paint my kitchen, but I don't know if that is likely!

Thanks again for all your inspiration, this thread is really helping me get stuff done!
Old 02-11-2007, 02:26 PM

MY FRIDGE IS DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
Old 02-11-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabearsoblessed View Post

Congratulations!

I worked my butt off last night, stayed up cleaning/organizing until 2am! DH is out of town training to be a Budokon instructor and I want to surprise him with a "while you were out" cleaning and organizing type return! (I was going to paint but decided that was too ambitious for this weekend) He does know about this challenge, though, of course. So, lots done, but lots more to go before I take my "after" pics. Mostly I can't decide where to put everything. : But, tons of progress. Wish me luck, off to work

Christina, mama to 2 sweet girls

10.26.12 (HBAC!)
namaste.gif   neg.gif  sewmachine.gif   homebirth.jpg homeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpg

Old 02-11-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabearsoblessed View Post

You go girl!!! Isn't that the bestest feeling?
Old 02-11-2007, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Woo hoo! So much progress being made and the month is only about 1/3 of the way through! Go us!

I decided that for the big wall in our kitchen I would frame a favorite photo I took a few years ago of sunflowers on my DH's aunts farm - it fits the colors perfectly. So I got it printed and found a frame on sale and got it hung - it fits beautifully and I love how it really means something to us. It isn't any more extraordinary than any other picture of a sunflower, but it reminds us of that peaceful time on the farm and how much we enjoyed being there. I also found some curtains at Sears to complement the room.

I realized how much better I do at making my house a home if instead of being paralyzed by feeling like I have to have a grand plan, I just jump in an start - I think you see all these shows and the designer comes in and already knows the fabrics and colors and whatnot, I feel like I have to decide it all before starting. But I do so much better if I just start with one thing - in this case wall color and just go from there - things really do come together!

For the first time, I feel like this is my kitchen and not the prevous owners. I am actually really starting to LIKE my kitchen!

I think the next step is finding some fabric to cover the chairs with - they are in miserable shape from being spilled on and a failed covering experiment where I used a vinyl tablecloth that wasn't up to the job, so half the chairs have ripped vinyl on them. LOL

User Tag List