One Room Challenge - THE KITCHEN! - Come Join! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 368 Old 02-13-2007, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One thing we are doing right now is we have all our kitchen utensils in a med sized clear tub (slightly larger than a shoe box). We did not take out our silverware as we know we use that every day. But everything else is in a box for the month. As we use something, it gets organized back into the appropriate drawer. At the end of the month, that which is still in the box untouched goes in the trash or goodwill. We got the idea from Oprah last week.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 of 368 Old 02-13-2007, 02:04 PM

I went through a stack (a year's worth!) of Cooking Light magazines this weekend and saved only the recipes I love (and will actually try to make!) The magazines were then recycled.

Cookbooks: Where do you all store yours? I have a baker's rack with an open shelf, but I was wondering if they would look sloppy there (mis-matched, different sizes, etc)? Do you use cabinet space for your cookbooks?
#243 of 368 Old 02-13-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymoo View Post
This is the one I bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...576588-7498252 It actually has a name brand which for some reason this amazon retailer doesn't want to disclose and I forget it. It's not the best thing I've ever owned - but its easy to get things in and out. It wouldn't hold anything too too heavy (like more than I think maybe 10 pounds?) but it works pretty well for me.

Thanks! We're planning a trip to Target this week. If I don't see one there, this one will certainly do the trick!
#244 of 368 Old 02-13-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthasam View Post
I went through a stack (a year's worth!) of Cooking Light magazines this weekend and saved only the recipes I love (and will actually try to make!) The magazines were then recycled.

Cookbooks: Where do you all store yours? I have a baker's rack with an open shelf, but I was wondering if they would look sloppy there (mis-matched, different sizes, etc)? Do you use cabinet space for your cookbooks?

This is my current problem too. I went through all my cooking lights and tore out the recipes and now there are just stacks of loose paper and its not working. I am trying to enter them into an access database I made but its going sloooow.

Right now I have two shelves where my actual cookbooks go but I have been planning on tearing that down. I will likely replace it with a shelving unit and make room there. I love those kitchen cabinets that have the built in bookshelves on the end-I think they are usually on the island.

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#245 of 368 Old 02-13-2007, 02:54 PM

My dh had a pretty good idea, and I will get to do it soon. I have my Betty Crocker cookbook, which is good for all your basic recipes, not that you can't find them all online, but sometimes it is nice to look, see one recipe and use it. Anyway, it is a binder type cookbook. So I am going to cut out all the other pages that I want from my other cookbooks/magazines and put them in that one, and probably take out someon the pages from the betty book. Then I will have one cookbook of recipes that I use. And there is always online if I need to look up something new. Hopefully, I won't be buying anymore cookbooks.
#246 of 368 Old 02-13-2007, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I started putting mine in a cabinet. I culled them down to just the few I use. Though I'm thinking of using that cabinet for something else, so I might move them. Or I should declutter them down to the ONE I actually use (How to cook everything) and banish the rest.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#247 of 368 Old 02-13-2007, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I have not been able to get ANYTHING done in my kitchen for the last week. Well, I've been able to cook and make a huge pile of dishes, but that's it. We have been so busy, and I work outside of the home 25 hours a week, so it's rough trying to get everything done. I'm really trying not to get discouraged...

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#248 of 368 Old 02-13-2007, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I'm determined to declutter something today. It's hard to do alone I feel, so for companionship I'm going to post to this thread. Going cabinet by cabinet...

Cabinet above the fridge...
ABC Cookie cutters - they can stay for baking cookies with DD.
One margarita glass and a set of four glass champagne flutes, which were a gift from some random friend.

Okay, the flutes can go - and since I broke the base off one while taking it out, that takes care of one item!

The margarita glass - I have more of them somewhere boxed up in storage. I am thinking we'll keep a few for when family and friends are over if we want to do margaritas. Along with that, one lone wine glass up there. Seems like a good place for those - away out of the place, kept for a special occaision.

A set of pyrex bowls. This would be a *duplicate* set of pyrex bowls. I think I kept them thinking it would be good to have more bowls for once a month cooking. Someone please remind me I don't need 8 pyrex bowls, that 4 will do. Pass it along to someone who needs it...be strong...

Okay, its in the donation box. So the cabinet now holds only the cookie cutters, the margarita glass and the wine glass.

Anyone else want to declutter with me? I hate to do it alone!

ETA - 8 items decluttered!

#249 of 368 Old 02-13-2007, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, how many sippy cups do I need? I have two kids, definitely way too many and they are all mismatched. Well they are all playtex and use the same bladders, but not all the same type and I've found that if you mix and match the lids they leak. I'm seriously considering getting rid of all of them and buying new ones that all match so they won't leak.

How many do I need though? DD and DS both take one to bed with them with water in it.

Okay, I threw the one with the bite out of the nipple part out. 10 items decluttered (I'm counting lid and bottom seperately bwhwhahaa!). I put the one that is supposed to go back to my mom's house in a bag. Maybe I'll send a few more to her house, she's always complaining she doesn't have enough. Okay, two more went in the bag! So that's another 9 items decluttered (lid, bottom, bladder, heh). Two more that have handles can go in with the baby stuff since my kids have outgrown the need. (25 items)

I'm going to throw the rest in a plastic container and see if I can match up lids and cups.

#250 of 368 Old 02-13-2007, 08:23 PM

About cookbooks-
I do store mine in a cabinet near where I cook. I only have a few, so that probably makes a difference! I like to keep them where they get used.
As for all the paper recipes and clippings and stuff, put them into a 3-ring binder. You can keep it with your cookbooks.
#251 of 368 Old 02-13-2007, 09:45 PM

I just finished decluttering/cleaning my last food related cupboard today. Sigh. Took two weeks, but I did it! now... I have an EMPTY cupboard. EMPTY! above my stove is EMPTY! Now I'm going to start on the other non perishable items

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#252 of 368 Old 02-13-2007, 11:46 PM

MY KITCHEN PICTURE TOUR
im too late for this so i will skip that

WHAT I LIKE BEST ABOUT MY KITCHEN (Include a picture!)
w/o everything in it, its a relatively large area

WHAT I LIKE LEAST ABOUT MY KITCHEN
counter tops

MY PLAN OF ACTION - here is where you can be as agressive or laid back as you like. If you want to list a series of goals

want to simplify!!!! and major clean!
#253 of 368 Old 02-14-2007, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Okay, I'm determined to declutter something today. It's hard to do alone I feel, so for companionship I'm going to post to this thread. Going cabinet by cabinet...

Cabinet above the fridge...
ABC Cookie cutters - they can stay for baking cookies with DD.
One margarita glass and a set of four glass champagne flutes, which were a gift from some random friend.

Okay, the flutes can go - and since I broke the base off one while taking it out, that takes care of one item!

The margarita glass - I have more of them somewhere boxed up in storage. I am thinking we'll keep a few for when family and friends are over if we want to do margaritas. Along with that, one lone wine glass up there. Seems like a good place for those - away out of the place, kept for a special occaision.

A set of pyrex bowls. This would be a *duplicate* set of pyrex bowls. I think I kept them thinking it would be good to have more bowls for once a month cooking. Someone please remind me I don't need 8 pyrex bowls, that 4 will do. Pass it along to someone who needs it...be strong...

Okay, its in the donation box. So the cabinet now holds only the cookie cutters, the margarita glass and the wine glass.

Anyone else want to declutter with me? I hate to do it alone!

ETA - 8 items decluttered!
You are doing awesome! I lived many years of having to declutter by myself - I know it can be a pain. Just imagine the more clutter/stuff that you get rid of, it opens you and your lufe up for much better!

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#254 of 368 Old 02-14-2007, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Okay, how many sippy cups do I need? I have two kids, definitely way too many and they are all mismatched. Well they are all playtex and use the same bladders, but not all the same type and I've found that if you mix and match the lids they leak. I'm seriously considering getting rid of all of them and buying new ones that all match so they won't leak.

How many do I need though? DD and DS both take one to bed with them with water in it.

I'm going to throw the rest in a plastic container and see if I can match up lids and cups.

I have 4 "good" sippy cups for DS and 2 so far for DD. I think 4 per kid is a great plenty, in fact, I think 3 per kid would be perfect. Allows for forgetting one in the car, wanting one with just water at night, etc. Then a couple extra for when your friends come over and forget to bring one for their DCs. (This makes it sound like all I have is 4 cups for DS - not so, I have probably 15 because of hand-me-downs from my sister.)
#255 of 368 Old 02-14-2007, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowenTherapist View Post
anyone have real linoleum? the stuff from the fifties that can't really get too wet, it has to be waxed. just wondering what other ppl use. i have some stuff that is an acrilic wax, but hate to use that kinda stuff in my house. i have heard carnuba wax is good, but have no idea how to apply it, or how long it would last.

This is a manufacturer website for marmoleum (linoleum) with cleaning/care info.
http://www.themarmoleumstore.com/fra...u_id=888&ssm=1

You could also try http://www.thathomesite.comfor help with this, go to the flooring section.
#256 of 368 Old 02-14-2007, 10:44 AM

Oh, man, life keeps getting in the way! Halfway through the month and I'm not halfway through the kitchen! :

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

#257 of 368 Old 02-14-2007, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmansions View Post
I have 4 "good" sippy cups for DS and 2 so far for DD. I think 4 per kid is a great plenty, in fact, I think 3 per kid would be perfect. Allows for forgetting one in the car, wanting one with just water at night, etc. Then a couple extra for when your friends come over and forget to bring one for their DCs. (This makes it sound like all I have is 4 cups for DS - not so, I have probably 15 because of hand-me-downs from my sister.)
Yeah, I could see 8 would be good for us. Though I feel like 6 would work and make us more accountable for each cup. We have a serious problem with that - sippy cups of milk get misplaced or forgotten and found later....serious ew.

#258 of 368 Old 02-14-2007, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
SIPPY CUPS: We actually ditched them all. Each kid has two SIGG bottles and I have one set (4) enamelware mugs for meals. Only water goes in the SIGGS and anything can go in the mugs, but they stay at the table. Klean Kanteen makes a sippy, which I plan to get for Babymort.

Also, I am feeling needy and ignored. Could someone go look at my questions on the page before?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#259 of 368 Old 02-14-2007, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Also, I am feeling needy and ignored. Could someone go look at my questions on the page before?
FWIW, I saw your question, I just didn't know the answer!

Quote:
I'm also trying to decide just how badly I want the painting done this month. We don't have tons of extra money right now and I don't know if we can swing the low-VOC paint. And I don't know if I'm allowed to paint, even with low-VOC paint, while pregnant.
Well, I tried my best to avoid painting while pregnant. With DD we were painting our condo and I had DH do the painting, ventilate well and I put plastic up between the painted areas and the living areas. With DS, I think I painted DD's room a little bit at the beginning. All with regular paint.

I remember my friend saying her doctor had given her permission to paint at some number of weeks, but I was perfectly scandalized at the time by the idea! I guess it just depends on how dangerous you feel those emissions might be - given that there isn't really proof they are safe (or proof they are dangerous to the fetus). I don't feel they are good, but I do also feel our bodies can handle some bad things and come out okay, kwim? I would start a thread just asking this question in MHM and you will get the folks who know more about its opinions.

From my experience, paint does at least seem to offgas quickly (at least in that the smell goes away shortly after its dried, unlike say new carpet which lingers a long time) - and they do make masks I think for that level of gas. The problem is the winter isn't a great time to ventilate, so it makes it tough.

I have no idea on the linoleum question.

#260 of 368 Old 02-14-2007, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
SIPPY CUPS: We actually ditched them all. Each kid has two SIGG bottles and I have one set (4) enamelware mugs for meals. Only water goes in the SIGGS and anything can go in the mugs, but they stay at the table. Klean Kanteen makes a sippy, which I plan to get for Babymort.
I could switch to SIGG now, I suppose would be the best time, since I'm thinking of ditching and buying new anyway. Are they really leakproof though? Although nothing seems to be truly leakproof...

I suppose if I *was* going to buy 8 new sipsters, and instead bought 4 SIGG's, that's only $20 more... hmmm

#261 of 368 Old 02-14-2007, 01:31 PM

Well, they're not truly leakproof, which is why we only have water in them, LOL! For us, it was a trade off, though, for ditching the plastic.

And thanks for your answers! :

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#262 of 368 Old 02-14-2007, 03:39 PM

I think you can paint just fine in the last few weeks, just use the low emission paint and keep the area well ventilated...or better yet, make dh do it!

Sigg bottles...hmmm. That's a good idea. I have three kids and we have 3 little plastic cups, 2 tiny mugs and 4 small glasses. Surprisingly none of them spill, but we are super strict about making them keep their glasses at the table - ie, they aren't allowed to walk around with them and stuff. And they're only allowed to use one cup per day, if they want something else they have to go rinse it themselves and pour another drink. I'm a mean mama!

For outings, I have a large nalgene bottle full of water and we all share it. Ds also has one in his backpack for school.
#263 of 368 Old 02-15-2007, 03:53 PM

Well last night I did it. I got through the cabinet I have procrastinating about. I didn't realize how much pyrex I had in there that I don't use! I had three pie plates-I think I bake one pie a year!

I have this scone plate that I haven't used in at least two years probably three but I can't seem to get rid of it. I could probably even sell it on ebay and make a couple bucks. Whats my problem? I don't even need it. All the scone recipes I have you cut the dough into equal pieces and use a baking sheet anyway. Stupid Williams-Sonoma impulse buy :

Now I am going to try and do the gadget drawer. How do you all organize yours? I have things like measuring spoons and cups, microplane grater, meat tenderizer, pizza cutter, etc in there. I just can't figure out how to get rid of the clutter. I use most everything in there.

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#264 of 368 Old 02-15-2007, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalulu View Post
Now I am going to try and do the gadget drawer. How do you all organize yours? I have things like measuring spoons and cups, microplane grater, meat tenderizer, pizza cutter, etc in there. I just can't figure out how to get rid of the clutter. I use most everything in there.
Well, it isn't clutter if you use it. I have two small drawers designated for that stuff - I think it helps to keep them kinda sparse. Each one has a silverware divider thingie (I just had them and they fit) which keeps everything from blending together. In the one drawer that the silverware divider is too small to fit the entire drawer, the measuring cups live outside the divider, all stacked up. Things like measuring spoons have one compartment, and the pizza cutter, those sorts of things are divided up amongst the other compartments. Anything messy - like the bag clips get put in ziplock bags. My oven mitts lay on top in one.

I keep it sparse partially because I keep all the big spoons, spatulas, wisks and other things of that nature in a container on the counter. Mostly anything that doesn't fit well in that container or might harm me trying to get things (like the pizza cutter) goes in the drawer.

#265 of 368 Old 02-15-2007, 06:08 PM

Today, I tackled the gadget drawer (I like that so much better than "junk drawer!") and also finished moving the serving stuff to the hutch. I probably don't need three gravy boats, but they're all too nice to get rid of, LOL!

#266 of 368 Old 02-16-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Well, they're not truly leakproof, which is why we only have water in them, LOL! For us, it was a trade off, though, for ditching the plastic.

nak

mightymoo: : here too :-)

annettemarie: Personally, I would go with low-voc paint. Paint off-gasses for months, so it will be safer for the baby after s/he is born too.
#267 of 368 Old 02-16-2007, 01:31 PM

I decided to donate/sell 6 of my cookbooks that I rarely use. I am currently searching for a home for the remaining books.

I also decided to part with: 14 random mugs/glasses, hand beater, some plastic serveware.

I now have 12 large glasses, 8 smaller glasses and 12 mugs. And they all match

Thus, I have once again avoided the "tower of ovens"
#268 of 368 Old 02-16-2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:
annettemarie: Personally, I would go with low-voc paint. Paint off-gasses for months, so it will be safer for the baby after s/he is born too.
I'm thinking we might just take it step by step. There's a chair rail and woodwork, and then the area above and below the rail, and I was thinking of going with 3 different shades anyway. It can't be any uglier than it is today, LOL!

#269 of 368 Old 02-16-2007, 07:38 PM

I love reading about everyone's progress....so much that I am ignoring my own work! K...Off to work now. I went to the Container store yesterday, got a new garbage can for the kitchen (wanted to move it out from under the sink) and also I got a Kleen Kanteen sippy cup for Eva and a Sigg water bottle for me. I'm going to do one travel mug for all of us and someday go to two. They are great, but can't buy everything at once! Thanks for all the great tips and inspiration. I will have some things hung in the kitchen, we are having out of town guests for the weekend! (yay another mdc mama and their two kiddos )

Christina, mama to 2 sweet girls

10.26.12 (HBAC!)
namaste.gif   neg.gif  sewmachine.gif   homebirth.jpg homeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#270 of 368 Old 02-16-2007, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

It's almost funny how kids seem to have an innate desire to create mess, yet are so attracted to cleanliness. My house has been a pit for days, I've been in a slump. The three rooms downstairs the kids are allowed in are all a mess (living room, play room and kitchen - they aren't allowed in the office, though its a mess too), but my Mom called and said she'd bring dinner over and so I got off my butt to clean - the kitchen is done. I swear just as I was thinking to myself 'All done'. My daughter ran into the kitchen, saw it was clean and said 'WOW - HOW FUN!'. I just had to laugh.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page