-ETA - This challenge originally took place in February, but I took the February out of the title, I figure if a bunch of people want to do the Kitchen later you can feel free to continue to use the thread to do so.
By popular vote - the first Monthly One Room Challenge will be the Kitchen! The idea behind the Monthly One Room Challenge is to have us all work on the same room in our houses together! (If you want more background, you can see the discussion of this idea here
and the poll (now closed) here
, though reading those threads aren't necessary to understand)Here is how it works:
1. Clean and tidy your kitchen
like you would any day - don't delve into organizing and decluttering yet, just get it to its typical everyday clean/picked up state. If something usually lives on the counter, leave it there, but put away dirty dishes and other things that are otherwise out of their usual places.
2. Take pictures!
Make sure to take pictures of everything - open all the cabinets, open the pantry door, etc. Show us all the various spaces inside and out.
3. Post your before pictures on this thread by February 7th.
Copy and paste the form below and answer the questions (and feel free to add your own if you think of them!). Give us a tour of your kitchen, point out your problem areas, what you want to change, point out what you like. Feel free to ask for others opinions or advice! Use the form I've posted below - tell us your plan of action and checklist if you have one. Of course you can enter midmonth, I just put the date to encourage people to get their pictures up in the first week so we have the month to work!
4. Declutter, Organize and Simplify away!
Use each other on this thread for support, advice and inspiration! Feel free to share more pictures along the way if it inspires you or if you are excited about something maybe someone else might like to try too! Feel free to include decorating and other homemaking activities in this challenge if that is part of your plan for your kitchen.
5. February 28th - Post your before and after pictures!
Ding Ding Ding - time is up! At the end of the month, we'll all take pictures of how our kitchens look and post them with the original shots for a before and after! Heap each other with praise and admiration for a job well done!Notes:
The inspiration for this idea is that we all be working on the same room, so I'd like to ask that we limit this thread to the discussion of the Kitchen. Next month we'll pick a different room to work on. Please don't let this discourage you from working on another room, I'm just asking that if you want help with another room, please just post on another thread. The Monthly challenge thread is always lively and a good place for posting that sort of thing.
You are welcome to participate without sharing pictures if you like, I just think it will be fun to share visuals to help each other brainstorm as well as have the fun of seeing the before and after shots. So many of us had fun sharing pictures of how our houses looked dirty, I figured we'd really get a kick out of showing off what we've done. However, feel free to join and contribute without pictures if you prefer.CUT and PASTE this form to "enter" the challenge:MY KITCHEN PICTURE TOURWHAT I LIKE BEST ABOUT MY KITCHEN
(Include a picture!)WHAT I LIKE LEAST ABOUT MY KITCHENMY PLAN OF ACTION
- here is where you can be as agressive or laid back as you like. If you want to list a series of goalsPhotobucket Tutorial
If you don't know how to post your pictures, here is a quick tutorial. Feel free to ask for help! www.photobucket.com
is a free site you can upload and share pictures from, feel free to use whatever method you wish, I just thought I'd post this for anyone who didn't know how to share their pictures.
1. Take your pictures with your digital camera - if you have a really high megapixel camera, take the pictures on a lower size and compression setting so they are not excessively large to make upload times quick - download the pictures as usual.
2. Go to www.photobucket.com
- click 'join now' in the upper right corner, or the big red register button in the middle left. Follow the instructions for opening an account.
3. Once you have an account, go to www.photobucket.com
and login in the upper left corner. After logging in you will be presented with a page which says 'Upload Images and Videos' - Click the 'add more images' link below the choose and image box, this will give you more boxes.
4. In each box, select browse and find your picture on your computer, you need to select a seperate image in each text box. If your run out of boxes, select 'add even more' - 20 is the limit at any one time, so if you have more than that, upload the first 20 and repeat this step and the next.
5. Once you have selected all the images, click the upload box. It will take a little while to upload. Once its uploaded, it will have an offwhite box in the center of the screen that says 'images uploaded' but otherwise looks the same as the previous screen. Scroll down to the bottom of this page and you will see your uploaded images.
6. Beneath each image is 3 text boxes. For each image you want to share, select the URL in the 'URL Link' text box and cut and paste it into your post. The link will automatically become 'active' (blue and clickable) once you submit your post. If you want to have active text like this
, rather than a url like this http://www.mothering.com/
, then write out hte text you want to be linked, highlight it, then click the little world with the link in the formatting bar above the post box (under the smiley face) and paste the URL into that box and click okay. It will enter the appropriate formatting into your post box.