Post your number 1 organizational tip here! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
First ... 2  3  4
Organize & Declutter > Post your number 1 organizational tip here!
macytoedt's Avatar macytoedt 04:39 PM 09-17-2007
here is something i do.....

when i have an item that i:
1. cannot bear the thought of going to goodwill BUT cannot use anymore
2. has some use left like half used lotion or shampoo that i changed my mind about
3. would like to see recycled between my friends

i make a FREE box at my house....sometimes it's a bag

for example:

my mom bought me the biggest bag of disposable razors ever (even though i have a more eco one that is not plastic with replaceable heads)
and they are not goodwill material so they went in and i made some friends really happy because they really needed them.

sometimes i put in supplements and bodycare (not expired)

clothing that i would love to still see but can no longer wear go to thinner friends

candle holders i'm tired of looking at but would love to see at friends houses

any double kitchen items (maybe a friends has no can opener but i have 3)

anytime a friend comes over, i tell them to "Check out the Free box" and usually they find something, then you must PUT IT IN THEIR BAG or they will forget it.

i like giving stuff away to people i know first then goodwill. HTH

macy

RealtorMouse's Avatar RealtorMouse 06:20 AM 01-08-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Sun View Post
Okay, I need some feedback. I am the most unorganized person. It comes from my family. My sister's husband calls her huge piles of stuff "Amy avalanches" and the term has spread like wildfire through my family since all the woman seem to have "Amy avalanches" all over their house. I am breaking the pattern. Now.

I have sorted through all of Elijah's toys and put them into clear bins. I took a picture of each toy and taped it to the end of the bin so he can pick out the toy he wants when we pull toys for the day. I am extremely proud of myself.

I am on a kick. I actually bought a wallet. You know, one of those things that keeps your credit cards and money in one place. It is great.

So, what is one thing you did to organize that you would like to pass on? I can't wait to hear!
** I clean one drawer or shelf every day. usually only takes about 10 minutes .
** Never leave the room empty handed
** Join flylady - very helpful
beansricerevolt's Avatar beansricerevolt 02:59 PM 01-08-2008
subbing so I can come back and read when I have time!
Peppermint Leaf's Avatar Peppermint Leaf 12:27 PM 01-12-2008
Definitely - never leave the room empty handed -- helps a lot when you are short on time... I walk around with a laundry basket all the time putting things back

anyone else out there have great ideas they would like to share?
mamasaurus's Avatar mamasaurus 12:59 AM 01-13-2008
I learned this from taking tai chi - make every movement count.

So - how I apply this to my life is to try and make "mindful" movements - like, for example, what a PP said about never leaving a room empty-handed.

When I come home, I try to stop and think about my car - think about taking in whatever needs to be taken into the house, right then. Not waiting until later.

I wish I could apply this to my finances! LOL!!
Gwendolyn's babies's Avatar Gwendolyn's babies 02:49 AM 01-13-2008
My house is always messy but it is clean and easy to clean up fast.

I have a large box in the garage. When I don't need something I put it in there right away. Then call the vietnam vets to pick it up. I never regret donating.

My childrens rooms are very kid friendly ...meaning they know where everything goes and I can say to my 2 yr old put this in the "ball bin" or in the "airplane bin" and he know where.

I don't do a flat sheet. It takes up too much time to make the bed. I just fitted.

I have in my hall closet among other things a small diaper bag, a large diaper bag and a purse. The diaper bags are stocked and I can just grab what I need and go.

I clean the kid's bathroom everyday as they play in the tub. I just use a hand towel and vinegar I keep stored under the cupboard.

Before Christmas or a birthday I go through toys to donate...so we don't get bombarded with more toys and no space.
Aguazul's Avatar Aguazul 04:20 AM 01-13-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasaurus View Post
I learned this from taking tai chi - make every movement count.

So - how I apply this to my life is to try and make "mindful" movements - like, for example, what a PP said about never leaving a room empty-handed.

When I come home, I try to stop and think about my car - think about taking in whatever needs to be taken into the house, right then. Not waiting until later.
This will help me tremendously!!! I swear, sometimes I end up at the end of the day, with no idea how I got there or what I did all day...just going through the motions and not even noticing what I'm doing.
heatherdeg's Avatar heatherdeg 08:02 AM 01-13-2008
I didn't read through the whole thread--so forgive me if this is a repeat. NUMBER ONE:

ORGANIZE AROUND YOUR HABITS vs. trying to change your habits to accommodate organization.

If you know your tendency is to take off your coat the SECOND you walk through the door--find an attractive way to hang/store the coat near the door instead of trying to train yourself to put it somewhere else (this might not be the very best example but you get the idea--right?). The reality is that it will take 21 days for the new behavior to become a habit--and in the meantime, you'll likely be working on more than one... this can quickly become a mess.

This has been, by far, the best mantra when I am trying to organize and the ONLY way to live organized in spite of dh.
Peppermint Leaf's Avatar Peppermint Leaf 05:07 PM 01-21-2008
BUMPING THIS THREAD

::
starling&diesel's Avatar starling&diesel 05:22 PM 01-21-2008
don't waste time 'organizing' what you should be tossing
normajean's Avatar normajean 07:14 PM 01-21-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova22 View Post
I label shelves to help me remember where things go. In the kids' room, they have a little shelf where I store some of their things. As I was putting it together, I used a label maker to make labels reading:

- Arts & Crafts
- Puzzles
- Books
- Cassette tapes
Label makers are so incredibly fun. I think if I had one, I'd go nuts labeling things...

My tips are

-make a home management binder, I've only had mine a couple weeks, and its already saved me tons of time
-don't put things down, just put them away
2 in August's Avatar 2 in August 08:43 PM 01-21-2008
I know that "you can't organize clutter, you can only get rid of it" is true. I just have to live it.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I really want to get rid of at least 1/2 of our stuff. I think it will make life much nicer.
kellid's Avatar kellid 12:03 PM 01-22-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post
don't waste time 'organizing' what you should be tossing

good one!
First ... 2  3  4

Up