How many of these things do you need? (just for fun) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 02-06-2007, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just curious...how many of all these things do you need to be comfortable, but still organized?

Master bedroom sheets?

Children's sheets (for bedwetting-aged kids)?

Place settings?

Bath towels?

Kitchen hand towels?

Children's books? Toys?

Clothing per person?

Sponges/rags/whatever you use for cleaning the kitchen and bathroom?

Anything else you can think of?

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 41 Old 02-06-2007, 02:42 PM

Master bedroom sheets? 2 sets, I could do without top sheets entirely personally.

Children's sheets (for bedwetting-aged kids)? We haven't gotten to the bedwetting stage, my feeling is at least 4 (2 sets on the bed at all times, 2 in the wash) for each child's bed. and that includes a waterproof topper.

Place settings? We have 8 and I feel this is just right for us. Though I have 12 dinner plates (due to the way I bought the sets) and we don't really need 12.

Bath towels? We have more than we need, but I think we could get away with 6 at the moment - 3 in use, 3 in the wash. As the kids get older I think that would have to go up.

Kitchen hand towels? I have 4 kitchen towels, this is about right for me - they are just old bath towels though. I have about 10 barback towels - very utilitarian towels for wiping things down. Could get away with 4 I think.

Children's books? Toys? I don't even think I could answer this. Books I think we need a lot, our kids love reading and I hate reading the same books over and over.

Clothing per person?
Man, don't even know!

Sponges/rags/whatever you use for cleaning the kitchen and bathroom? I have 3 sponges, 2 in the sink (1 in the dishwasher, 1 in use) and 1 that is the 'yucky sponge' - the other sponges graduate to this stage whent they are used for toilet cleaning or something equally gross. Rags, about 2 dozen. I use these for everything else I don't need a scrubby for - kids faces, wiping counters, etc. I could get away with 1 dozen probably but sometimes they don't get through the wash as fast as I use them.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#3 of 41 Old 02-06-2007, 03:38 PM

Bed Sheets- I like to have two sets. One to wash and one on the bed.
For children it really depends on the age, I would say at min. 2 up to however many you need if they are potty training.

Place settings- I have 8, thats just the way they came and I haven't seen the need to get more. I like not having a huge stack. But we do have extra glasses since we are always drinking water, juice, milk, and so on.

Bath towels- We have way too many. When we pack up to move I am weeding out ones that are old and tattered. Once we get used to using only good ones I will decide if we need less or more.

Kitchen hand towels- I personally use a lot of these since I hand wash dishes and lay them on towels to dry. I probably have about 10 and could use a few more. We have some hooks on the wall to hang them to dry and I like to roatet them everyother day.

Books- You can never have too many childrens books.

Toys- DD has a small toy chest and whenever she gets a new toy I weed out ones she doesn't use so there is never more than the chest can hold. I really like not being over run with toys.

Clothing- Thats kind of hard since we have 4 drasticly different seasons.

Kitchen sponges- I have 1 pot scrubber my aunt made other than that numerous dish cloths that I use, probably 5 or so.
#4 of 41 Old 02-06-2007, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Masterbed sheets: 1 set

Children's sheets: 3 sets

Place settings: I have 8

Bath towels: I have 8 for me, DH, DD. I change it after 2-3 showers.

Kitchen hand towels: I have 6, don't hand wash dishes. I change my hand towel every day, wash once a week.

Books: We have a ton and aren't getting rid of any!

Toys: Ugh, I just try to get rid of the low quality or not played with ones

Clothing: depends on where you live, I have about 40 winter shirts/sweaters all bought used on ebay or at Goodwill, I only have 2 pairs of jeans bought new. DD has too much stuff, but all bought used or gifts

Kitchen sponges: I don't use them. I use un-paper towels. I have a basket on my counter with about 50 rags/washcloths, I wash once per week. If I have to wash a dish, I use a rag.

Sippy cups: 8 for one baby

CDs: 26 for 3 days

cloth wipes: 20

canvas bags: right now I only have about 6! I need more.

Cool thread! Its neat to think about what you run out of, or have too many of and need to purge!!

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#5 of 41 Old 02-06-2007, 04:30 PM

Master bedroom sheets? 1 set - we have 2 sets right now, because we received them both as gifts. But we really only need 1 set. When I wash the bedding, I start it in the morning, so there's never an issue with it being done by the evening.

Children's sheets (for bedwetting-aged kids)? 2 sets, for those impromptu midnight bedding changes.

Place settings? 1 each, for a total of four sets. I'd love to get rid of our extra dishes. Or at least, keep them in storage to pull out for the ONE time each year we have a large group of guests.

Bath towels? 5 or 6. I use two when I have a shower. And I'd like to have a couple of extra ones for water spills (bathtime disasters, like when DS discovered the fun of pouring water onto the washroom floor). We have WAAAAY too many towels right now.

Kitchen hand towels? 3 or 4

Children's books? Toys? We have one full shelf of books right now, and I'm happy with that. We'll start cycling out the board books pretty soon. We have way too many toys. I think it's overwhelming for the kids. I think having one or two different play sets for each of them (ie: one collection of Thomas trains, one collection of Polly Pocket toys if that's what your child likes, one bin of toy trucks, etc.) would be more than enough.

Clothing per person? We recently widdled it down to 5-7 outfits per person, per season. I have a bit more, because I have one wardrobe for work (suits and dress shirts) and one wardrobe for normal days.

Sponges/rags/whatever you use for cleaning the kitchen and bathroom? 2 or 3

Anything else you can think of? Pots and pans! I'm planning on widdling down our unruly collection this month. We don't need 8 pots. We don't have 8 elements on the stove!
#6 of 41 Old 02-06-2007, 04:38 PM

Master bedroom sheets?
I have 2 sets, no flats because I don't use them

Need to make some of these....

Place settings?
One per person, rest in storage

Bath towels?
One per person, two old towels for dog (she tends to get muddier than we do)

Kitchen hand towels?
Two

Children's books? Toys?
He'll have one shelf and one bin

Clothing per person?
About 25-30 non-underwear items

shoes: one winter boots, one summer (hiking) boots, one sandals
pots and pans: one dutch oven, one 8" skillet, one 11" skillet
knives: one
#7 of 41 Old 02-06-2007, 04:38 PM

Master bedroom sheets?
2 sets

2 sets per kid

Place settings?
12 - We often have the entire family plus some over.

Bath towels?
I think we have 6 or so. There are 4 of us.

Kitchen hand towels?
I don't have hand towels. I just use the same white washcloths for the kitchen, in lieu of paper towels, for bathing, etc. I have about 2 dozen of those.

Children's books? Toys?
I purge both often. I really have no idea!

Clothing per person?
I don't know this answer either. I'm comfortable with what we have and wouldn't really want any more or less.
Here's my closet (shared with dh):
http://www.familymoses.net/mastercloset.htm
We don't have dressers or any other storage, so it's all there.

Again - the 2 dozen or so washcloths fall in this category.
#8 of 41 Old 02-06-2007, 04:44 PM

We only have one set of sheets each for our kids beds.

If they sheets get wet at night i switch which end of the bed they sleep on. The first thing come morning the sheets are washed.

My first dd never wet the bed.

My second umm I lost count

My third isnt potty learned yet.
#9 of 41 Old 02-06-2007, 04:57 PM

Master bedroom sheets? I have 3 sets but I only NEED 2 sets.

Children's sheets (for bedwetting-aged kids)? My kids don't wet the bed but we have 4 or 5 bottom sheets but no top sheets because they don't use them.

Place settings? Do you mean dishes and silverware?? If I was a *good* person I would only need 8 but I am not and I often do not do dishes everyday so we have 12.

Bath towels? We have more than we need. But I could make do with 6 large towels

Kitchen hand towels? I have 6 that are "clean hand towels" that are only used for drying hands.

Sponges/rags/whatever you use for cleaning the kitchen and bathroom? I have as many as will fit in the storage spot I have for them and I use most of them.
#10 of 41 Old 02-06-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Nikki~ View Post
Anything else you can think of? Pots and pans!
That's a good one. This is the one area I feel I have decluttered to the min I need. I feel I've got the perfect amount of pots and pans right now. I have a 10" frying pan, a 3 qt pan, a big stock pot, a medium stock pot, a steamer insert, and two sauce pans in two different sizes and of course the lids. I use all of them regularly and have not felt the need of anything else (I got rid of a bunch of extras), and I do often use both stock pots or both saute pans at the same time, so I don't find them redundant. Although I do have one huge stock pot for mass cooking, but that is stored out of the way and only taken out when needed.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#11 of 41 Old 02-06-2007, 08:27 PM

Master bedroom sheets?

I would say 2 sets is a bare minimum to be comfortable. I have way more than I need of these.

I currently have two sets for them. If the little one wets the bed I change the sheets and wash in the morning.

Place settings?

I would say eight. We are a family of four but I like to have extras in case I have some friends over.

Bath towels?

I currently have 4 towels for the girls and about 20 for my husband and me. Way too many, I know. I am not sure how many I need to be comfortable because I am a little weird about having a clean towel at all times. If my towel falls on the floor I have to change it to a new one.

Kitchen hand towels?

15 I guess. I don't wash the kitchen towels with regular laundry. I need a lot of them so I don't feel like I am wasting too much water for just a couple of towels.

Children's books? Toys?

I don't know. The girls and I love reading. I am still trying to figure out the toy situation.

Clothing per person?

10 outfits each I guess.

4. 2 for each room.
#12 of 41 Old 02-06-2007, 08:33 PM

Master bedroom sheets? Just one. We have 2.

Children's sheets (for bedwetting-aged kids)? I only have an 8 mo old! She has 2 sheets, though.

Place settings? A lot! We HATE doing dishes, and we try not to run our dishwasher until it's super-full. We have 8. I'd take another 2.

Bath towels? 4. I use 2, dh uses 1, I like to have 1 extra in case. Plus 1 or 2 baby towels for dd.

Kitchen hand towels? 2-3.

Children's books? Toys? I would never set a limit on books! As for toys, she has a little toy basket and we try to keep it to that and then have a few bigger (but still relatively small toys). We're upgrading to a small shelf with 3 organizing baskets and that will be our single toy depository--whatever toys fit in the baskets, with bigger toys sitting on top.

Clothing per person? Hmmm...NEED? Hard to say. I can definitely say we have too much!

Sponges/rags/whatever you use for cleaning the kitchen and bathroom? At least one sponge for each room, plus an extra, unused sponge to have on hand when that gets nasty. 2 rags for dusting, counters, etc.

Anything else you can think of? Yup...babies. Just one! That's all I can handle and still feel moderately organized.
#13 of 41 Old 02-06-2007, 09:27 PM

Master bedroom sheets? 2

Children's sheets (for bedwetting-aged kids)? 2

Place settings? 8

Bath towels? 10 +

Kitchen hand towels? 10 +

Sponges/rags/whatever you use for cleaning the kitchen and bathroom? 10 +

Amanda, mama to my three giggling girls aged 12yrs, 7.5yrs and 3yrs.
#14 of 41 Old 02-06-2007, 10:21 PM

Master bedroom sheets? 2

Children's sheets (for bedwetting-aged kids)? 2 per child, but our kids aren't bed wetting anymore

Place settings? 12. I would really like to get this down. DH works from home so we have 4 of us home everyday for every meal. So we need at least 9 plates just everyday use.

Bath towels? We each have 2

Kitchen hand towels? I have 7 or 8, I think. I could probably get away with 4.

Children's books? Toys? We have too many of both of these.

Clothing per person? Ideally, I would like 10 outfits per person. I personally only have 6 or 7. My dh has probably 15. The girls each have about 5 pr of pants and probably 20 misc. shirts. Alex probably has 10-15 of each.

Sponges/rags/whatever you use for cleaning the kitchen and bathroom? 5 or so

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#15 of 41 Old 02-06-2007, 10:24 PM

Master bedroom sheets?
--Goodness, I have SIX sets
I must confess, though, that I have a bedding fettish.

--EIGHT sets, four for each child. I've had too many vomiting, peeing, pooping sick nights to go with fewer. (and I just purged a set!)

Place settings?
--EIGHT everyday and TWELVE good (they were wedding gifts)

Bath towels?
--EIGHT for DH and me (I use two at a time, one for hair and one for body) SIX for the two kids

Kitchen hand towels?
--Good lord, I think I have TWO DOZEN if not more. I have metal basket in the cabinet and all dish towels and washcloths must fit inside of it or they go. I have an old school gym basket for the daily use cloth napkins and the same rule applies. All of the "good" cloth napkins have a drawer and they must fit inside of it.

Children's books? Toys?
--I don't keep track, I just purge whenever there is more stuff than homes for it.

Clothing per person?
--This is the same as toys, only what will fit in one dresser and one closet

--I have a whole basket of rags and maybe a half dozen sponges.

Keep in mind, Mommas, that I live in a 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath 2500 SQ FT house so my space issues are not what many of you are experiencing. Now that I have cleaned house, I realize we have two rooms too many!

My general rule is that I allot a certain amount of space for a certain item and when it can no longer fit in that space, I purge. In this last go round of decluttering, I made smaller spaces for many things and/or completely removed some storage spaces to keep from finding things to go in them.
#16 of 41 Old 02-07-2007, 12:40 AM

Master bedroom sheets?
We have 1 winter set (flannel) and 2 summer sets

Place settings?
Silverware - 8
Dishes, I could easily only keep 4 out, and 4 packed away.

Bath towels?
We each have 2 (1 for the hamper, 1 for the rack), and then a few extra ratty ones for clean-up when it's raining.

1 of each for each room, plus 1 extra set for when those get so gross they have to go.

How about mixing bowls?
Sometimes I feel like I have WAY too many, but sometimes not enough (or the wrong sizes)
Serving dishes? I had a really hard time at Christmas just making sure I had the right food go in the right dish the first time cause I didn't have even 1 extra.
Glasses? We've got WAY too many of these, but they're so specialized I don't feel like I can get rid of any of them.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#17 of 41 Old 02-07-2007, 01:38 AM

Master bedroom sheets? One. I just wash them and put them right back on again.

Children's sheets (for bedwetting-aged kids)? 2-3. I think currently we have three, but I still just wash everything and put it right back on the bed.

Place settings? Five..enough for us to have two people over..we've never had more than two people over at a time

Bath towels? Three

Kitchen hand towels? Two

Children's books? Toys? I don't think I'll ever be able to put a limit on books. I don't really have a magic number for toys, but if her shelves and drawers in her bed are full, then I try to thin it out a little.

Clothing per person? I currently have three pair of pants that fit, and maybe 4-5 shirts. My wardrobe is pretty boring, but I think it's plenty. SO has about the same. Dd has probably 7-8 pair of pants, probably over 10 shirts, and 4-5 dresses. Seems like enough to me. She could probably even have less.

Sponges/rags/whatever you use for cleaning the kitchen and bathroom? I think I currently have three.
#18 of 41 Old 02-07-2007, 01:46 AM

Master bedroom sheets? 1 set-I wash bedding every Friday

Children's sheets (for bedwetting-aged kids)? 3 sets for my 3 year old

Place settings?3-there are only 3 in my family

Bath towels? 6-2 per person

Kitchen hand towels?5 hand towels and 5 wash rags

Children's books? Toys? books are limited to 1 bookshelf and toys to 1 medium size tote(ALL toys have to fit)

Clothing per person? Whatever will fit in the closet...WAY too many!

Sponges/rags/whatever you use for cleaning the kitchen and bathroom?5 rags

Pots and Pans- 1 cast iron skillet and a steel skillet, 1 big pot and 3 smaller different sized pots

Shoes: I have way too many(about 10 pairs) I am a shoeaholic : DS has 4 pairs and DH has 4 pairs

Knives- 1 set in a knifeblock inc. scissors

Mixing Bowls- 2 stainless steel ones

Storage Containers- I have a 12 piece set that is used constantly

Measuring utensils: 2 sets measuring spoons and 2 sets measuring cups(1 set of each will be going into my garage sale)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#19 of 41 Old 02-07-2007, 10:31 AM

Master bedroom sheets?
*Two. We have one, and with my DH working swing shift, there's not much time in the day when one or the other of us isn't asleep.

Children's sheets (for bedwetting-aged kids)? We have 6 sheets for my 2 boys who wet the bed. This is enough for one set from each crib to be in the laundry, one set on the bed, and the third set waiting for a mid-day accident.

Place settings? I'd say 8, because it's enough for the 4 of us, for 2 meals a day.

Bath towels? We have a lot. Maybe 10. But I like having them, because they've recently become superhero capes.

Kitchen hand towels? I have about 10 and use every one of them within about 2 days.

Children's books? Toys? We have WAY too many! Ugh. Im working on weeding some out.

Clothing per person? ? I really don't feel like we have too many clothes. We each have enough clothes to wear a different outfit for about 10 days in a row.

Sponges/rags/whatever you use for cleaning the kitchen and bathroom? I use kitchen towels for the kitchen, and rags for the bathroom. I have lots of kitchen towels, but not many rags for the bathroom. . . I don't need them many times a day.

#20 of 41 Old 02-07-2007, 10:35 AM

Master bedroom sheets? 2 sets

Children's sheets (for bedwetting-aged kids)? 3 sets

Place settings? for our family of three, 5

Bath towels? 5

Kitchen hand towels? huge box of rags under the sink - we don't use papertowels

Children's books? Toys? books - I would hate to set a number... 4137 perhaps? toys - hard to say, but I know we need to cut down.

Clothing per person? 10 complete, season-appropriate outfits

Sponges/rags/whatever you use for cleaning the kitchen and bathroom? too many to count, but they're small!

Anything else you can think of? not yet, I haven't had my coffee.
#21 of 41 Old 02-07-2007, 11:48 AM

Master bedroom sheets?
I have two sets for summer, two flannel sets for winter, plus two waterproof cloth mattress covers. That way, if a baby's diaper leaks or a potty-training munchkin joins us at 1am and has an accident, and I can't wash the next morning, we're still covered. I try to keep both sheets and the waterproofing on the bad at all times for quick changes in case of an accident.

I keep 3 sets plus waterproofing. I try to keep all three on the bed- occasionally dd will wet twice in a night, so that still gives her a place to sleep. It seems she goes through long periods where she won't wet at all, followed by twice in a night when she's very tired and sleeps heavy. For a baby in diapers, I keep two sets.

Place settings?
How often do you have people over and how many? How often do you wash dishes or run the dishwasher? Personally, I keep 12 place settings because that's the number I need for company coming over and it keeps me from having to wash after each meal- I try to load dishes after each meal and only run the dishwasher once it's full.

Bath towels?
2 per person, plus extra in the guest bathroom that only gets used when we have company. I keep 4 washrags and 1 handtowel per person. That's enough to make two laundry loads a week. If something happens, we have the guest bathroom towels as back-up.

Kitchen hand towels?
I keep a total number of kitchen and cleaning rags and towels to make a laundry load by itself. We don't use any paper products. I have maybe 30 kitchen towels and wash one load a week. I go through several a day since they're used to clean spills.

Children's books? Toys?
No such thing as too many books. My husband has a library by himself. Toys can be hard to scale back due to grandparents constant giving. I try to limit it to the amount that the kids can pick up themselves in 5 minutes.

Clothing per person?
We keep 2-3 dress outfits, as they are worn often. 2-3 casual outfits for running errands and going out. 4 sets of pajamas for kids, two for adults. Enough play clothes to get the kids from wash day to wash day (my son has more than my daughter because he's incredibly messy). So my daughter has 4 play outfits and my son has 8 or so. We base amount of clothing off of how often we wash and how much makes a load. I have a laundry schedule that I try to stick to so each type of clothing load gets washed twice a week, everything else gets washed once a week.

We keep several spare cleaning towels to take care of the pets and the kids spills. I don't use sponges- I perfer to be able to sanitize, so I stick to rags. I keep enough to get me through to make one laundry load a week without using anything disposable. I get a new rag each time I wash dishes and wipe down the counters, so 2-3 rags for one day.

Edited to add:
I should say that I've got two kids and I'm disabled, and we do have a larger house, so that does factor into my decisions. I make extra space for things like laundry because I'm not capable of washing as often as I would be if I were well.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#22 of 41 Old 02-07-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova22 View Post
I'm just curious...how many of all these things do you need to be comfortable, but still organized?

Oooh, fun, I'm answering for when we go back because here we don't have a washing machine so need more.

Master bedroom sheets?

Two sets, one to use & one to wash, but we also use the spare set for the guest room when we have guests, or I could get away with one. (If I used the dryer, I dont' use teh dryer so I need two anyway)

I plan on buying them 2 sets, but we also have dh's old bachlor sheets (another 2 sets) to use as backup. So we will have 8 sets for 3 beds.

Place settings?
Twelve, but we have company on SHabbos a lot.

Bath towels?
We have two good sets, and random towels for the kids.

Kitchen hand towels?
I probably have about 10 of these but we use tehm in the kitchen & bath

Children's books? Toys?
We have tons of books I am constantly rotating toys and getting rid of the not so great ones. I think we have fewer toys because all our kids play with the same stuff now, no "baby toys" and "kid toys"

Clothing per person?
Ideally I would like 5 shirts / three pants or skirts per adult per season butwe have more than that. The kids have about 15 shirts each & 10 bottoms each, but we are PL now and don't have a washing machine. I'm not buying them that much for spring. I think 5 shirts / 3 bottoms (and they have a couple of dresses)

I keep one in the kitchen & one in the bathroom & usually have about 2 spare. When they get icky I throw out & buy new. (rags)

Off to read now

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#23 of 41 Old 02-07-2007, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Master bedroom sheets?
1 set, but I can use some camping sheets as back-ups
1 set, but dd co-sleeps, so her bed is never used unless she wets the main bed
Place settings?
about 6
Bath towels?
4 master bath, 4 dd/guest bath
Kitchen hand towels?
dozen wash clothes
Children's books? Toys?
lots
Clothing per person?
hard to say, we have 4 seasons, so what we need to get by for each season, but it adds up to a lot
use the same dozen wash cloths for kitchen/bath counters. 1 scrubbing sponge for showers/sinks

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#24 of 41 Old 02-07-2007, 05:06 PM

Master bedroom sheets?
probably 2 sets

Dd doesn't wet the bed so 2 seems fine for her bed too.

Place settings?

Bath towels?

Kitchen hand towels?

Children's books? Toys?
The more books the merrier! Toys I feel we could reduce to 2 boxes and it would be enough.

Clothing per person?
Enough clean socks and underwear per day for each person.
At least 3 pairs of pants per person... probably at least 4 tops.
1 dressy outfit
3 pairs of pajamas
Probably 3 pairs of shoes each- seasonally appropriate.

At minimum I suppose 1 in the kitchen and 1 in the bathroom. I wouldn't want to use the same thing in both rooms. I would probably want a couple extra in case of big messes.

Anything else you can think of?[/QUOTE]

I answered what we needed to still be comfortable but we do have more stuff than I listed.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#25 of 41 Old 02-07-2007, 05:40 PM

Master bedroom sheets?
4 sets, one of them is flannel

2 sets

Place settings?
8, in case we have company

Bath towels?
lots! This is one of my weaknesses.
Kitchen hand towels?
probably 20, but we do a lot of hand washing

Children's books? Toys?
Too many of both.

Clothing per person?
I don't have many clothes, but Dh still has stuff from the '80s he won't part with. The children have a lot of clothes, but they need to be changed often
at
least 2 dozen. we still have a lot of spills
Anything else you can think of?[/quote]

To be comfortable and not have too much stuff, I would say we could cut back on towels, toys and books.

so many roads to ease my soul...

#26 of 41 Old 02-07-2007, 06:21 PM

Master bedroom sheets?
4. I would like to have 2 sets of flannel for winter and 2 sets of cotton for warmer months. We need 2 more flannel set.

Not there yet, but I would say about 3 sets.

Place settings?
This is a hard one for me because we do A LOT of entertaining and I really hate to use disposable stuff. We have 8 place settings for our every day stuff. And I think 10-12 of our nice stuff - which we actually use quite often.

Bath towels?
We have 4 towels for the master bath, 4 for the kid's bath, and 4 for the guest bath.

Kitchen hand towels?
Tons. Again, I don't like to use disposable stuff so I have been keeping all of our older handtowels to be used for cleaning up spills.

Children's books? Toys?
Our ds has quite a few books. I'm fine with that because we really do read them all. As he and the new baby grow I'll weed out all the stuff that's too young for them. I'm pretty ruthless with toys. I cannot stand to have my house look like a ToysRUs exploded indoors!!

Clothing per person? I don't know about this one yet. I'm not even attempting weeding out clothes until after this baby is born.

Sponges/rags/whatever you use for cleaning the kitchen and bathroom? I find myself using DS' cloth wipes most of the time. I also have a couple micro fiber cloths that are handy. And a small stack of old t-shirts that I've ripped down.
#27 of 41 Old 02-07-2007, 06:23 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#28 of 41 Old 02-07-2007, 07:34 PM

NEED? we could get by with the bare minimum - one set for each person kind of thing...

How many I have is what I really feel like I need... enough to make my life not chaotic, but not so many that I can't store them.

Master bedroom sheets? 2 sets (2 blankets too, but only one comforter), one clean, one dirty/washed/being washed

Children's sheets (for bedwetting-aged kids)? Again, each bed gets 2 sets, everyone has a waterproof mattress pad including the master bed.

Place settings? silverware - we have 2 sets per person, plates we could get by with 1 set each, but we have service for 12, since some get broken.

Bath towels? we NEED 6. we own 10. we also havce 4 beach towels.

Kitchen hand towels? have 8, use 2 a day, wash every other day..

Children's books? Toys? need much less.

Clothing per person? ugh, not even going there.

Sponges/rags/whatever you use for cleaning the kitchen and bathroom? one in each room. we have a pack of dried ones that you get wet and they pop up into full size sponges, so a pack of 12 is the size of a bar of soap, but we only have one in the kitchen, one in each bathroom.

we have a basket of rags/washcloths for EVERYTHING. cleaning hands, counter, tables, baby bottoms, windows, etc. that all get tossed in teh diaper pail. techincally there are 3 types/sizes, and i try to sort them by that (one set is for baby butt only, etc) but dh doesn't do as well. so we just wash them well.

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#29 of 41 Old 02-07-2007, 07:56 PM

I currently rent a house and do laundry once a week at a laundromat. We're buying very soon. So, this is with no kids (gonna guess on that part) and relatively rare laundry.

Master bedroom sheets? 2

Children's sheets (for bedwetting-aged kids)? 4

Place settings? 6 daily 16 formal (we entertain a lot)

Bath towels? 3 sets per person

Kitchen hand towels? I probably have 10

Children's books? Toys? Unlimited for decent books (Books are NOT clutter in my house, and we have a lot). Toys, it really depends. We won't be buying plastic junk for our future kids, but they'll probably have a bunch of Legos.

Clothing per person? I'm a clotheshorse..... Um, I have 3 pairs of jeans, 2 dressy pants, 6 sweaters, 16 camisoles, 10 short sleeve, 5 jammies. I also want more DH has probably 20 shirts, 4 jeans, 6 shorts.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#30 of 41 Old 02-07-2007, 08:46 PM

Master bedroom sheets? 2 or 3 sets - we have 2 right now that fit the bed well and since we cosleep and accidents happen, I'd prefer to have 3. Plus I just happen to like bedding to change the look of the room...

Children's sheets (for bedwetting-aged kids)? Not there yet, but I have 6 or so crib sheets right now and always keep 2 on the bed layered with waterproof pads inbetween

Place settings? 8 of every day dishes, this seems to work fine and 14 of everyday silverware - love it because never run out of spoons or knives anymore

Bath towels? probably 4 sets per person - too much IMO - 2 would be plenty and I'd like to color code them by person so they don't get mixed up in the bathroom. Our local pet shelters take old towels, so I switch some to the rag bin and others go to the shelter.

Kitchen hand towels? Probably 20! I love to have a lot - I grab them to wipe up spills etc. When kids are bigger we'll probably have less. I also have at least 20 washcloths in the kitchen too for wiping up grubby hands & faces, spills, highchair, etc.

Children's books? Toys? Books - 2 x 3ft shelves full, toys would fill 2 laundry baskets probably

Clothing per person? Too much!!!

Sponges/rags/whatever you use for cleaning the kitchen and bathroom? 2 sponges plus one tub scrubber thingy

Anything else you can think of? I also have extra stuff for guests - we have overnight guests several times a year for anywhere from one night to 2 week stays - one person to 6 people at a time. So I have extra guest towels - 5 sets, and extra sheets for guest bed, blow up mattresses, the sofa, futons etc. I am way short on blankets tho - we don't even have what we need for ourselves, let alone guests - and will add to them over the next year or two.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page