get organized with Oprah! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 02-09-2007, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We don't have a t.v. but I've learned some tips from reading this thread.
Thanks.
#32 of 38 Old 02-10-2007, 09:01 PM

I loved how he said that almost every family has one of "those" rooms..

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#33 of 38 Old 02-11-2007, 01:59 AM

I just watched it and I thought it was a pretty good show. The focus was on decluttering, not organizing. And though I hate when they say 'Oh look how they did it' - yeah well, they didn't do it alone though - someone else took everyone out of their garage for them, etc. One of the hardest things about decluttering other than choose to let go of stuff is to actually get rid of it. It's not as simple as throwing it out now a days, it takes work to get it physically out of your house.

But I liked it, they were working with real people, maybe a little more extreme than most, but at least not too much more - I felt like I could relate to them and their problem, not like they were abnormal. I liked the idea of telling the boys they could choose what they wanted to sell at a yardsale and what they wanted to donate.

I think I'll set up my DVR to record clean sweep!

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#34 of 38 Old 02-11-2007, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipfree View Post
We don't have a t.v. but I've learned some tips from reading this thread.
Thanks.
If you're interested, you can get a recap and see pictures of the house on Oprah's site.

http://www2.oprah.com/foodhome/home/..._350_101.jhtml

Zachary (Jan. 16, 05), Blossom (Sept. 14, 08)
::
#35 of 38 Old 02-11-2007, 10:53 AM

I wish my mom had seen that. We have been trying to explain to her what we are doing and why. She told me, I love this, alright I guess as long as you don't get rid of your husband or kids But I know that if Oprah had it on all of a sudden it wouldn't be some weird hippy freak thing I am doing...By the way I told her that we were getting rid of things that weren't useful, loved or enhanced our lives in some way, there is no way, to me at least, that a family member would ever fall under those catogories, at least not the ones I have living with me.
#36 of 38 Old 02-11-2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flowers View Post
I wish my mom had seen that. We have been trying to explain to her what we are doing and why. She told me, I love this, alright I guess as long as you don't get rid of your husband or kids But I know that if Oprah had it on all of a sudden it wouldn't be some weird hippy freak thing I am doing...By the way I told her that we were getting rid of things that weren't useful, loved or enhanced our lives in some way, there is no way, to me at least, that a family member would ever fall under those catogories, at least not the ones I have living with me.
I haven't even discussed the concept with my mom. I mean I talk about organizing, but I haven't discussed the 'decluttering' or 'simplicity' stuff. It's so foreign to my mom. I mean, she isn't as bad as the folks in the show, her house doesn't have piles of stuff everywhere, but she has tons of stuff everywhere, a basement full and an attic full. Her house is huge, so there is a lot of stuff, its just well hidden. Every shelf has some little trinket or thing, etc. So in that sense, its cluttered, but not messy. Anyway, I just don't even see the point of talking about it with her at this point. She is a shop-a-holic. I figure I can only focus on me and my family and if she gets anything from my example, great but otherwise

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#37 of 38 Old 02-11-2007, 04:39 PM

I actually just sent them the link to the Oprah show. My mil totally got what I was trying to say, we talked yesterday, she saw the pics of the kitchen and was saying how good it looked. I told her it was my before pics, though Ihave already decluttering the kitchen once. I don't care if they do it, but I want them to stop sending me stuff They collect things and keep things forever. I think there was a thread awhile back about saving things for your kids. So it really has made a difference on what we are saving for our kids. Because I don't want them to get the boxes of stuff that we saved for them that really have no meaning for them. And we kinda want to stop the endless gifts to our girls.
#38 of 38 Old 02-12-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flowers View Post
I want them to stop sending me stuff They collect things and keep things forever. I think there was a thread awhile back about saving things for your kids. So it really has made a difference on what we are saving for our kids. Because I don't want them to get the boxes of stuff that we saved for them that really have no meaning for them. And we kinda want to stop the endless gifts to our girls.
I totally agree! DH has every stuffed animal he ever owned and pretty much everything else. I have very little. As DS grows up (he's almost 1!) I want him to have good memories and scrapbooks of those good memories, not all the crap he ever owned! So I just started paring down his stuffed animal collection! Figure he really won't miss them now! I would love to have pics of DH from when he was small but his parents haven't located them yet... lol... (and no, they've never moved so they didn't get lost in a move!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page