Help! Compacting mama being tempted!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-10-2007, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm Compacting and need some voices of reason...or the ok to buy something...dangit just tell me whats right!

So, I dont know what came over me, but i started browsing eBay - for USED stuff, dont worry, but I stumbled upon a few of my favorite things that are NOT used- like Thai Fisherman pants from Thailand.

Ug! A new eBay store had them for a mad-cheap price!!! And in cool colors! Oh, please tell me I can get them!

No--- tell me I can't! I cant justify these, right!

: : : :

It's late and I'm bored and dh isn't home and I'm trying not to over eat.

Thanks in advance for the support.
#2 of 7 Old 02-10-2007, 03:10 AM

Oh I hear you! I haven't any good advice, but you are not alone by any means.
I got my tax return today. Thanks to the wonders of e-filing and direct deposit, I woke up this morning to money in my bank account. Wooohoo!

In no time, I found myself browsing online for some things that I absolutely do not need... frivolous shoes, yarn, cookware! Even though I did not buy anything, I found myself COVETING terribly. It's a hard habit to break, and I'm not really sure how to get past it!

Hang in there, mama!

-Christine

P.S. do you sew? Those pants are not difficult at all to make!

P.P.S. I've been lurking on your blog and commented once, will email you an intro, etc when I get a few minutes to sit down and write a decent note this weekend!
#3 of 7 Old 02-10-2007, 03:23 AM

I don't know what Thai fisherman pants are, but maybe you should head to the wardrobe refashion blog and see if you can make them out of anything you currently own?

I'll admit that clothes are not a weakness of mine, but when I've been tempted, I've done a couple of things:

(1) looked at places in my house which are still cluttered and need to be worked on : (ie, how can I bring more crap in when I still have a lot of crap to get rid of?)

(2) thought about how much it would disappoint me to have to admit that I screwed up :

Good luck!
#4 of 7 Old 02-10-2007, 04:01 AM

You don't need fisherman pants. You've managed fine without them so far, you don't need to buy them now. If you just don't go ahead with it, you'll eventually forget about them... because you don't need them.

Also as a PP said they're easy to make yourself.

How's that?
#5 of 7 Old 02-10-2007, 04:35 PM

Nope. You don't need it. I agree with a pp to look around your home at the areas that are still cluttered and focus on purging/organizing instead of adding to the problem.

Also, I think it was your blog I was reading the other night and I thought there were a few things that you guys had blogged about seriously needing...am I right??? Maybe make a list with all those things and display it in a prominent location to help ward off the insignificant purchases?

Hope that helps.
#6 of 7 Old 02-10-2007, 05:13 PM

Just think "WWYD -- What would Yoda do?"
Compact or compact not -- there is no try.

Hang in there, Momma!
#7 of 7 Old 02-14-2007, 05:35 AM

Well as a person who owns few clothes I could suggest buy them and get rid of something in your closet. Decluttering and compacting doesn't mean you can't ever have anything new that tou LOVE. You just have to get rid of something so you don't accumulate piles. Should I run and hide now?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page